"D."

Oct 30, 2017
I just beat it yesterday. Liked the ending, although some bits were confusing (7 seconds is all you have left)

Dope that Zack lived in a different timeline

Crazy that the next games will purely be up to whatever the devs wish them to be. I wonder if there will be some sort of timeline convergeance or some characters time-hopping? Maybe Sephiroth bringing in characters/people from different time periods to harass/antagonise Cloud and Co.?

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Damn it, English Dub. Why would you take Aerith and Tifa saying each other's names lovingly from me?

You can so tell that the major differences between Japanese and English make games like these so difficult to localize. I remember feeling a little disappointed with this exact scene, because Cloud and Tifa's responses felt so curt. But you can see they are just trying to fill in the tiny space that the Japanese audio track allows for.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Video game developers need to start allowing changing the lip sync and the animations themselves when their games are localized. Hopefully with the next console generation this will start to be a thing as they will no longer have the excuse of storage limitation or whatever

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Video game developers need to start allowing changing the lip sync and the animations themselves when their games are localized. Hopefully with the next console generation this will start to be a thing as they will no longer have the excuse of storage limitation or whatever

What do you mean? The game has separate lip syncs for english and japanese at least.

Oct 25, 2017
So I finally beat the game.

Although, can someone explain to me what determines the teammates who join you in the sepiroth fight?

I got Barret and Tifa, but I've seen people getting Aerith.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017

Although, can someone explain to me what determines the teammates who join you in the sepiroth fight?

It depends on how your party members do in the whisper fight right before, like amount of damage done, kills, etc.
It tracks hidden points for how each party members do in the battle, tallies it up and the ones did the best shows up first.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles

I've never seen any streamer get Barret first yet. It's always either Aerith or Tifa.

Interesting. Why is it that that matters so much to you?

For my Aerti ship feels, of course.
What do you mean? The game has separate lip syncs for english and japanese at least.

Only for the good cutscenes. The lip flaps don't match when it's not a good cutscene.

iosefe

The Unshakable Resolve of "this guy are sick"
Oct 26, 2017
Where the sun shines
back on the topic of sleepzi's Norse cycle theories, if FF7R doesn't do it, looks like Kingdom Hearts is,

so the concept is Definitely NOT foreign to Nomura

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I don't like how they didn't really give Barret and Aerith proper character time together. Aerith gets all that time with Cloud, and then they join up with Tifa for the Wall Market finale, sewers, and train yard. There's even a dope Barret and Tifa only sequence when you go save Wedge, but no such equivalent for Barret and Aerith. Yes, they do fight The Arsenal together, but I don't really count a boss fight as a proper character bond moment (and it doesn't even feel like one anyway).

Humorously enough, the perfect time for something like this would've been the poorly received Hojo's lab dungeon, but they just paired Barret with Cloud, and Aerith with Tifa. Shame. It would've been nice to have some dynamic established there beyond "Barret wants to save Aerith because she saved Marlene".

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
What I don't like with all these theories, is even though some of these videos are excellently in depth, none of that stuff really improves the characters.

Sephiroth's death was perfect in the original and Cloud broke control when he killed him with the omni slash, the theories says he was never truly defeated and like it's all part of his plan. That doesn't make the characters as interesting, or trapping them in a cycle.

Whatever the new plots are, I hope they focus on pushing the characters forward, instead of just pretentious world building like the Genesis/Minerva crap.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I don't like how they didn't really give Barret and Aerith proper character time together. Aerith gets all that time with Cloud, and then they join up with Tifa for the Wall Market finale, sewers, and train yard. There's even a dope Barret and Tifa only sequence when you go save Wedge, but no such equivalent for Barret and Aerith. Yes, they do fight The Arsenal together, but I don't really count a boss fight as a proper character bond moment (and it doesn't even feel like one anyway).

Humorously enough, the perfect time for something like this would've been the poorly received Hojo's lab dungeon, but they just paired Barret with Cloud, and Aerith with Tifa. Shame. It would've been nice to have some dynamic established there beyond "Barret wants to save Aerith because she saved Marlene".

Aerith's strongest relationships should be with Cloud & Tifa so I understand why they wanted to develop that first. The train & sewer sequence is basically there for Aerith-Tifa development besides padding out game time.

But yes, I hope they develop more Barret-Aerith. Maybe they could pair them together for part of Corel Town. It's not like Aerith is gonna sit on her ass doing nothing for that portion.

And Barret's the only one to have established a real dynamic with Red XIII but we have Cosmo Canyon to look forward to.

Rods

May 1, 2020
If this is true, what was the decision to not use it? DLC maybe?

What I don't like with all these theories, is even though some of these videos are excellently in depth, none of that stuff really improves the characters.

Sephiroth's death was perfect in the original and Cloud broke control when he killed him with the omni slash, the theories says he was never truly defeated and like it's all part of his plan. That doesn't make the characters as interesting, or trapping them in a cycle.

Whatever the new plots are, I hope they focus on pushing the characters forward, instead of just pretentious world building like the Genesis/Minerva crap.
That's your opinion though, and Sephiroth's death has nothing to do with theories, it was Nojima writing that made him survive post OG with On the way to a Smile and beyond.
It makes sense considering that Jenova wasn't killed and absorbed by the Lifestream, same thing happened with Sephiroth, Lifestream wants nothing to do with them.

Last edited:

Rods

May 1, 2020
Even though i suck at physics and understood nothing when reading or watching these theories, I'll be posting for those interested in reading more about Singularity, Paradox, relativity and all the other nonsense we got at the end of Remake.

One supports multiple timelines:

The other supports one timeline:

www.youtube.com

Final Fantasy 7 Remake - Singularity and the Future

There won't be multiple universes anymore, but there will be sheer overwhelm, tear jerking wonder. This will be the first video in a series closely examinin...

I wish i understood 5% of what they are talking about....

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Those sleepezi videos are just nonsense now. He has some good points but stretches out a 10 minute video to 1 hour +. He's looking at things I'm sure even the devs don't even notice at points.

Rods

May 1, 2020
Those sleepezi videos are just nonsense now. He has some good points but stretches out a 10 minute video to 1 hour +. He's looking at things I'm sure even the devs don't even notice at points.
I love his videos, but i can understand people that are skeptical because he goes too deep into things, it's not for everyone.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it had a problem? Ran out of dev time? After seeing how much heart went into this game, I'd say it's best to assume the best of the devs.
This. As much as I love this game there is evidence of cut corners all over the place. An alternate character model that shows up for, like, 20 seconds would be pretty low on the priority list.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
If this is true, what was the decision to not use it? DLC maybe?

That's your opinion though, and Sephiroth's death has nothing to do with theories, it was Nojima writing that made him survive post OG with On the way to a Smile and beyond.
It makes sense considering that Jenova wasn't killed and absorbed by the Lifestream, same thing happened with Sephiroth, Lifestream wants nothing to do with them.
I would have preferred they ignore Advent Children and Sephiroth was destroyed in the original, you can't top that death scene. Maybe Sephiroth has some knowledge of the future and it's a parallel universe story so on, but I don't think they should take away from victories of the original story.

Rods

May 1, 2020
This has probably been posted already but since my friend asked for the link, i'll post it here again in case someone missed.

Last edited:

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I would have preferred they ignore Advent Children and Sephiroth was destroyed in the original, you can't top that death scene. Maybe Sephiroth has some knowledge of the future and it's a parallel universe story so on, but I don't think they should take away from victories of the original story.

I mean OG FFVII left it ambiguous on whether there even was a victory for humanity at all.

At least Advent Children told you that Cloud & the rest of the cast eventually lead happy lives.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah Britt Baron is on Glow, I should check it... wait...

Britt-Tifa-01.png

Britt-Tifa-05.png

Britt-Tifa-02.png

T-Tifa??

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I just remembered the theory that Johnny was from Nibelheim and wrote that letter in the Kalm flashback because of a single mistranslated line where it seems like he was in SOLDIER as well and a childhood friend of Cloud's. Glad the Remake cleared that up.

That letter part is probably one of the strongest cases of unreliable narrator in the game actually.

Oct 31, 2017
I've been listening to the soundtrack on many car rides and Ghoul has been up there as one of my favorites of the new compositions.

But holy crap, The Valkyrie is a fantastic piece of music. Reminds me of old western movies, I could see this being a theme for one of them.

fr0st

Oct 28, 2017
Also for those who play and have beaten FFXIV shadowbringers.

Anyone feel like sephiroth is just a worse version of emet-selch without the charms and motivation.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
I finally finished this game last night. All in all, I enjoyed it. It was FFVII's opening hours, just greatly expanded. I liked most of what they added. Liked getting to know Biggs, Jesse and Wedge. Didn't hate the sidequests (MUCH better than XV's, though that bar was very low.) and the mini games were decent. Music was on point. Environments were fantastic, and the added/expanded dungeons were good. Sephiroth didn't feel completely shoehorned in, which I was actually pretty worried about. That Jenova fight was great, and when that music hit halfway through I genuinely got goosebumps. But the whispers can eat shit. What the hell is it with Kitase and his "DEFY FATE" obsession? I feel like the implication is since you kill fate during the penultimate boss fight, and that there are apparently alternate realities now, they're setting up the sequel to drastically change the plot. It's like the ending was SE's way of saying "sorry you killed the keeper of the timeline, it's your own fault the rest of the remake will differ entirely from the original story" I'm sure they'll stick to the major beats, but after this and the whole "journey into the unknown" thing I'm pretty sure they'll be altering things significantly in ways that alter the narrative.

also aerial combat was terrible and that bike chase boss was butts. Roche should have appeared there. That character who was heavily promoted in advertising was completely wasted.

Last edited:

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I've been listening to this soundtrack while working.

So many good tracks....

"The Arsenal" ... whewwww Nobuo absolutely killed this shit.

Just fantastic. Boss music PERFECTION.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
I've been listening to the soundtrack on many car rides and Ghoul has been up there as one of my favorites of the new compositions.

But holy crap, The Valkyrie is a fantastic piece of music. Reminds me of old western movies, I could see this being a theme for one of them.

From the start I could already tell it must be composed by Keiki Kobayashi lol. Very Ace Combat-ish. I think the description for the composer there may be wrong.

Anyway reminds me a little bit of this one from him, or even Zero from Ace Combat Zero,

Abaddonn

Dec 4, 2018
Also for those who play and have beaten FFXIV shadowbringers.

Anyone feel like sephiroth is just a worse version of emet-selch without the charms and motivation.
1. Sephiroth came waaaaaay before Emet.
2. They both are great characters, tbh I probably like Emet more, but that doesn't make Sephiroth "a worse version" of Emet, they're completely different characters. Also Sephiroth has been an iconic FF villain for the last 20+ years.

Rods

May 1, 2020
Forgot to post this a few days ago.

www.youtube.com

A conversation w/ Sleepezi about Final Fantasy 7 Remake (SPOILERS) | XPlicit Materia Podcast

Starting the XPlicit Materia Podcast back up with a bang! I had the pleasure of nerding out with the one and only Sleepezi, who's quickly becoming internet f...

It's not as good as his videos, it's interesting that he mentions passmore's videos, even though he acknowledges he's pretty much been avoiding talking about alternative timelines i guess he's on board with Zack and the second Cloud being in the same timeline as our characters? Will have to wait for him to talk about it.

The more i think about 2 Clouds the more i hate it, maybe Nomura wants to have an evil Cloud running around for some reason, or having 2 Clouds would make it easier to kill 1 of them. So weird.

Some reason i think of the old Gantz, where we had a clone of the main character so he could have a relationship with 2 girls, 1 Cloud for Aerith and 1 Cloud for Tifa, ship war solved... that would be really bad.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, what's this theorizing about two Clouds now?

I've been listening to this soundtrack while working.

So many good tracks....

"The Arsenal" ... whewwww Nobuo absolutely killed this shit.

Just fantastic. Boss music PERFECTION.
Yeah, the Arsenal is probably my favorite boss track too. That or Crab Warden.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Just finished it this evening.

.... What, a weird game. I bought a PS4 to play this. I enjoyed the first 20 hours of the game (Chapters 1-10) then fell off HARD on the back half of the game. Too much padding.

And that ending: WHAT? HUH? The FAQ in the OP was actually very helpful. But how could any new non-OG player understand any of that mess in the 18th chapter? Like Seprioth was just dropped into the whole game with no explanation ("HE'S MYSTERIOUS!") and all the way up to the end of the game, how was ANYONE supposed to understand what the hell he's in the game for? I mean, unless I missed something did the game ever explicitly explain WHY he's a bad guy in the first place? Like, does he ever outright state his goal? I know from the OG what he's all about, but in Remake did they ever actually say he's here to destroy the planet? I know we discover Septh RIGHT AFTER you leave Midagar in the OG, but his inclusion thorughout the whole of Remake was just confusing and was only there for OG players. I have no idea how anyone new to this game could possibly understand him.

Especially Zack at the end. How could anyone new to this franchise begin to understand all that?

All in all I felt like they just bit off more than they could chew here. I would have never understand any of the Whisper non-sense if not for all the FAQs online and people breaking down the story for me. I guess, that's what people like though: just vague details and you piece it all together yourself. I suppose. I wish the game was more up front in some ways what it was about.

Like, stepping into the portal at the end of Chapter 18.... I was WTF the entire time. It wasn't until I read stuff online did I understand anything that was happeneing there. I felt like maybe I missed a cutscene or something, like was I supposed to know what was happening there or was I supposed to be confused.

This game was kinda a disappointment. I wish it was more standalone of a game than require the person playing to fully understand OG and series lore. Which I do, but man I feel bad for anyone playing this series for the first time.

Cromat

Mar 17, 2019
Finished it over the weekend. I can't believe it, but they didn't mess this up! This was actually a pretty great remake of FFVII, a pretty great FF game, and a pretty game video game in general.

I don't mind the ending being convoluted because it comes with the territory. Remember, this is a game made by the same people who make indecipherable games about Mickey Mouse in the Multiverse, with subtitles such as "358/2 Drop Two 1.8HD Microsoft Word Edition". Convoluted malarkey is their specialty, and let's not pretend that the original FFVII didn't have tons of that as well.

As far as weird nonsense goes, this was actually pretty well-executed. The Whispers are quite clearly a metaphor for the FFVII fanbase's aversion to any change to the beloved game, and the characters literally defeat it (as well as the OG versions of themselves), thereby freeing the developers of the game to do it differently this time. And why should they retread the same story? It's actually quite cool. Instead of a remake, we got a remake-turned-sequel.

As far as the remake side of things goes, they did a really great job of showing why this game was so special. The characters are more realized than ever, and are extremely likable. The voice acting is pretty great, while still sounding like a silly video game with a crossdressing quest line - this is a good thing! The soundtrack... it felt like they literally had hours of sex with the original soundtrack. It is so good. They just took very, very special musical tracks and arranged them in so many interesting ways. The music in this game is simply amazing.

The combat system is extremely satisfying and the level of challenge is spot-on. The levelling up and materia systems are kinda meh (and have been overshadowed by much smarter systems like the Sphere Grid in FF10). But the actual action RPG gameplay is just really fun. This game has such good combat you literally scour the map to find things to fight.

Overall this was surprisingly really great. I had no faith in them whatsoever. As far as I'm concerned there hasn't been a good FF game since XII in 2006. I thought these guys have completely lost touch with how to make a good game, and that Western developers have left them in the dust in pretty much everything but music. But not anymore! If they make more FF games in the vein of this one I would be very pleased.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just finished it this evening.

.... What, a weird game. I bought a PS4 to play this. I enjoyed the first 20 hours of the game (Chapters 1-10) then fell off HARD on the back half of the game. Too much padding.

And that ending: WHAT? HUH? The FAQ in the OP was actually very helpful. But how could any new non-OG player understand any of that mess in the 18th chapter? Like Seprioth was just dropped into the whole game with no explanation ("HE'S MYSTERIOUS!") and all the way up to the end of the game, how was ANYONE supposed to understand what the hell he's in the game for? I mean, unless I missed something did the game ever explicitly explain WHY he's a bad guy in the first place? Like, does he ever outright state his goal? I know from the OG what he's all about, but in Remake did they ever actually say he's here to destroy the planet? I know we discover Septh RIGHT AFTER you leave Midagar in the OG, but his inclusion thorughout the whole of Remake was just confusing and was only there for OG players. I have no idea how anyone new to this game could possibly understand him.

Especially Zack at the end. How could anyone new to this franchise begin to understand all that?

All in all I felt like they just bit off more than they could chew here. I would have never understand any of the Whisper non-sense if not for all the FAQs online and people breaking down the story for me. I guess, that's what people like though: just vague details and you piece it all together yourself. I suppose. I wish the game was more up front in some ways what it was about.

Like, stepping into the portal at the end of Chapter 18.... I was WTF the entire time. It wasn't until I read stuff online did I understand anything that was happeneing there. I felt like maybe I missed a cutscene or something, like was I supposed to know what was happening there or was I supposed to be confused.

This game was kinda a disappointment. I wish it was more standalone of a game than require the person playing to fully understand OG and series lore. Which I do, but man I feel bad for anyone playing this series for the first time.
The ending of remake is honestly in the same spirit as OG at the same part of the story, in that you are now Pursuing an enemy you don't really understand. The sense of mystery is similar if not heightened and enhanced.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
The ending of remake is honestly in the same spirit as OG at the same part of the story, in that you are now Pursuing an enemy you don't really understand. The sense of mystery is similar if not heightened and enhanced.
True, true. I remember at the end of OG, Seph just killed the Shinra president and you're like WTF? And that's exciting.

And then you get to Nibelheilm and you get the info dump on him from Cloud. So there's a payoff very quickly after.

... I was hoping that the Seph info dump you get from Cloud after Midgar would've happened in Remake, just to add some context and understanding there.

Rods

May 1, 2020
True, true. I remember at the end of OG, Seph just killed the Shinra president and you're like WTF? And that's exciting.

And then you get to Nibelheilm and you get the info dump on him from Cloud. So there's a payoff very quickly after.

... I was hoping that the Seph info dump you get from Cloud after Midgar would've happened in Remake, just to add some context and understanding there.
I was so obsessed with FFVIIR that i watched like 20 streamers that didn't play the original and see if the ending would upset them. None of them got upset, they all understood that it's just part 1 of a story and they still loved the characters and the combat and the mystery ending.

Heck, Angryjoe...a guy that hates JRPG with a passion gave the game a 9, and was so in love with the characters and where the story is going that he bought the original and started playing it on the switch, cause he couldn't wait to get more of it.

The game has it flaws, but blaming it on a mystery ending because non OG players would get angry at all the mystery is not one of them.