• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
My favourite shot in the trailer is when you control Barret and you see the train moving. Midgar feels so much more alive just because of this.

ieNpgxp.gif

This is the kind of stuff real-time/action games capture so well to increase the immersion. You're moving your character around as you normally would through battle and exploration and things are just happening in the world around you.

azfaru

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Is anyone a little worried that they've only shown footage from what seems to be like the first few hours of the game?

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
It looks different than XV. Real time != XV combat. And even still XV was super fun for me. If it went for the same thing that would be bad because the toolset in this game would be much more limited.

I agree with what everyone is really thinking though, it should have had XIII combat.
XIII combat would be even worse. I actually wouldn't even play the game if it had XIII combat.
I just want to see doomtrain in glorious PS5 graphics!
Play Kingdom Hearts III then :-D

Ging

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
You guys know that Crisis Core and FFXV were directed by Hajime Tabata, and this game is being directed by Nomura, the guy who directs the Kingdom Hearts games, right?

It's why I'm expecting a mature well-paced story to be turned into teen-fiction style directing. Sephiroth shouldn't really show that early into the game. Focus on the many characters present. The game's core appeal isn't all about the Cloud vs Sephiroth antagony.
15574691592358135.gif

I'm sure it's just a glimpse (Cloud Squinting) but... I hope this game remains as much about the FFVII party as it is Cloud, and that the shallow portrayal I perceive/expect is a miscalculation I made... Prove me wrong Tetsuya, show me mature Storytelling I can expect from Hironobu.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm glad they seem to be doubling down on Cloud having mental issues. Will be good to just see Sephiroths turn up randomly to torment him.

Deleted member 42641

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 25, 2018
C'mon. Like I said, I'm fine with what we got, but I do like direction of the previous trailer more.

Its the same leads as before but just a better team surrounding it. I can understand enjoying the last trailer more (im assuming youre talking about the psx one ? cause I always thought that one was sloppy compared to the reveal trailer which is ace)

Just funny youre talked about this game like we had any idea at all what direction they where heading in

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
Is anyone a little worried that they've only shown footage from what seems to be like the first few hours of the game?
That's what they did the first time, and it turned out it was mostly concept work IIRC.

This time, though, its been four years, it does seem like the game is well under development. I think this tweet which points out that Square is expecting similar profits to FFXV's launch for this fiscal year is interesting.

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
The sewers are also not in the first 2 hours of the game, especially if this is the first game which would focus more on Midgar anyway.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
I still prefer 2015 Cloud, he looks battle-hardened. The new version looks like a boyband member, so smooth and attractive. Did they forget that he's supposed to be an ex-soldier?

That said, the hair is indeed look better in the new version.

Agreed. I liked that the 2015 look makes him seem a little off, like something's not quite right with him. Seemed extremely fitting for the character.

Other than that, I dunno, guess it's what I expected. Biggest complaint would be that the environments seem really drab. For how distinct and memorable the environments in FFVII are not much of this screamed Midgar or mako reactor to me, it just looked like any other industrial sci-fi environment in a video game. Maintaining the atmosphere of the game should be of utmost importance and none of these audiovisuals did anything for me at all.

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
Agreed. I liked that the original look makes him seem a little off, like something's not quite right with him. Seemed extremely fitting for the character.

Other than that, I dunno, guess it's what I expected. Biggest complaint would be that the environments seem really drab. For how distinct and memorable the environments in FFVII are not much of this screamed Midgar or mako reactor to me, it just looked like any other industrial sci-fi environment in a video game. Maintaining the atmosphere of the game should be of utmost importance and none of these audiovisuals did anything for me at all.

Yeah, both the environments and Cloud's character model for the PSX 2015 trailer gave me a lot of confidence in the game and their take on the remake. That's why I'm not as impressed with this trailer since it just looks really good, but that's kind of to be expected. I'm sure footage of walking around in Midgar will give a better idea on how they captured the atmosphere of it all, though. It's hard to take a lot from just one minute.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Holy shit... after more than 3 years we see this thing again. It MUST release this year. It'll be stupid to show this revival trailer and then not launch anything for the rest of this year. Episode 1 fall 2019 here we fucking gooooo!

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
Yeah, both the environments and Cloud's character model for the PSX 2015 trailer gave me a lot of confidence in the game and their take on the remake. That's why I'm not as impressed with this trailer since it just looks really good, but that's kind of to be expected. I'm sure footage of walking around in Midgar will give a better idea on how they captured the atmosphere of it all, though. It's hard to take a lot from just one minute.

For sure. I'm really looking forward to seeing some unedited footage where we can see the look and feel of everything in proper context.

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
Cloud has like eight different facial expressions in that one minute trailer and that's more than we've seen from him in 10 years I'm so happy.

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really impressed. Looking back on the 2015 PSX trailer, it's plain to me that moving it in-house was an excellent decision as it's improved in every way.

I was expecting the barest of teases -- like, a Lifestream ribbon alongside the words "See you in June", but they gave us a lot to chew on.

Talal

Unbreakable
Oct 25, 2017
My favourite shot in the trailer is when you control Barret and you see the train moving. Midgar feels so much more alive just because of this.

ieNpgxp.gif

This is the kind of stuff real-time/action games capture so well to increase the immersion. You're moving your character around as you normally would through battle and exploration and things are just happening in the world around you.
Nice catch. This is great, very cool touch.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The fact that English lip syncing is done is a good sign and they must be fairly far through development.

I think they will announce a 2019 release date and it will get pushed back to early 2020

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Still not a fan of the action combat, but the rest looks decent. I guess the main questions are still how much of the full game this actually covers, and if it'll get a cross-gen version. The later might make me wait until a next gen release, but the former might even make me skip it until all parts are out.

2ndTuXx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gasp!! Oh man, what a pleasant surprise! And it looks super great, I'm so excited!
Although I don't think I'm a big fan of Cloud's face changes. He looks a bit softer and baby faced now; less sharp. I think the previously sharper features were more attractive, but I mean he still looks great! The models are obviously a lot more refined now, and a bit less shiny? And Aerith is lovely, oh man I'm so stoked to finally see her!
I'm so happy to finally see more FF7r news!
This.

There was way more detail and shadowing in the 2015 character models. Team Mobius copied and pasted too much of their art direction here.

Edit: This is probably the one time I want Nomura to obsess about the character models lol

Last edited:

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
So small
Weren't materia the size of a fist in advent children?

tumblr_pgjkmdJ4ip1w7x7wyo2_r1_500.gif
Based on the fact that we see them in Cloud's Buster Sword, they're probably making them a bit smaller so that they can contextualize them in everyone's weapons. They wouldn't fit in, say, Tifa's gloves/knuckles otherwise.