Femto0

Banned
Apr 28, 2018
Prise our Lord ZhugeEX he was right, it's been 84 years but finally they showed it can't wait for the e3

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
If they ignore his sarcastic playful portrayal from the original, and default to his moody, depressed portrayal in Advent Children, then the game will be completely ruined.
Eh, he was moody and depressed in Advent Children cuz he had space cancer.

He spends the first half of FF7 being more serious and kind of an asshole.
svHOjMo.jpg

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
it's a brand new game so anything's on the table. i doubt there's going to be any "world map" though i'm guessing a later episode will make most locations accessible
I agree, I don't expect a disproportional "world map" like FFI-IX.

I'd hope for a kind of overworld in the way that FFXI, XII or XIV does it... really just large levels representing the open space on continents. Nothing too big at all, because the original game wasn't. But I could see that being something they save for episode II if they really do make the first episode Midgar.

I don't think we need or want an XV style "open world".

Oct 26, 2017
I agree, I don't expect a disproportional "world map" like FFI-IX.

I'd hope for a kind of overworld in the way that FFXI, XII or XIV does it... really just large levels representing the open space on continents. Nothing too big at all, because the original game wasn't. But I could see that being something they save for episode II if they really do make the first episode Midgar.

I don't think we need or want an XV style "open world".

I do want an open world, and I hope they do an improvement and use today's open world elements. Add things like bounties, tons of new side quests and hidden monsters, gear and weapons. Make it modern while keeping the core ff7 intact

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
Is this E3 going to have a XIII style multiplatform unveil?

If so, I look forward to Sony dropping the trailer for Final Fantasy 8: Online

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, he was moody and depressed in Advent Children cuz he had space cancer.

He spends the first half of FF7 being more serious and kind of an asshole.
svHOjMo.jpg

That is NOT representative of the first half of Final Fantasy 7, that is an indication of the first half hour of Final Fantasy 7. He mellows out pretty damn quickly. Cloud has that mercenary attitude for a very short period of time in that game. Definitely not the first half. Probably less than the first tenth.

However, he DOES keep he snark for the whole game. Which is good. It makes him fun.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Hmm... The most important is still to be shown.
Systems, story, animation for most scenes...

Still waiting.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm super jealous of all the people who have never experienced the original and get to play the upgraded graphics version for the first time with ffxv combat. Love the ffxv combat myself.

Yasamuu

Oct 28, 2017
I'm looking forward to seeing more at E3. Expecting something more thorough, be it from a trailer or from interviews, about how the game will play.

To be honest, I'm especially hyped for this game to come out so I don't have to read the shit patter posts like "never coming out", "can't wait to play this in 2035" etc etc. It's boring.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I do want an open world, and I hope they do an improvement and use today's open world elements. Add things like bounties, tons of new side quests and hidden monsters, gear and weapons. Make it modern while keeping the core ff7 intact
I just think that a true open world in the sense of XV would be a complete distraction... not only for development time, but for the focus of the gameplay itself. The original game is already a massive undertaking to translate into a modern game, and most of it occurs in towns/dungeons. Turning the original's tiny map (in gameplay terms) into a huge sprawling endless environment will really cause the game's focus to go into the weeds.

Let's think of the area around Midgar. I could appreciate turning the area with Midgar, Kalm, the Chocobo Farm, and Mithril Mine into a nice big environment on the scale of FFXI, FFXII or FFXIV's regions. Even Lightning Returns' wildlands might be a good comparison here. So if that means "open world" to you, then I'd agree with it.

But something like XV or GTA's open world would ask that you actually make a continent to scale, with huge distances to cross, and that seems like a distraction to me. Remember that FFXV takes place on a single continent because of this kind of scale. That kind of open world just seems like a diversion from the core scenario to me, when all the meat of the game happens in Midgar, Junon, Gold Saucer, Mt. Nibel, etc, and not on the old world map.

Maybe they could do it, but it would only be by the grace of being cut into multiple episodes. That kind of open map would definitely not be in Episode I.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Even if that Midgar experience is 40-50+ hours, and the ending of the game is relatively complete unto itself, aside from the fact that it teases what is essentially a sequel?

I really don't think it will be some 20 hour experience that ends abruptly as if you have to put in the second disc. I think Episode I will operate as a full game, with its own ending, that teases a sequel. That makes it like any other introductory game AAA in a franchise these days which always teases the sequel....

Didn't think about it like that. If it's hitting 70 hours then that would be amazing, but how would they pad it out that much?

Are they adding lots of content based on the extended canon? I'm hoping it all pays off and isn't chock full of unneeded padding.

I think the game needs to more or less follow the original, make it like resident evil 2. Don't change too much.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
That is NOT representative of the first half of Final Fantasy 7, that is an indication of the first half hour of Final Fantasy 7. He mellows out pretty damn quickly. Cloud has that mercenary attitude for a very short period of time in that game. Definitely not the first half. Probably less than the first tenth.

However, he DOES keep he snark for the whole game. Which is good. It makes him fun.

He does mellow out a bit, but he remains quite a bit more serious than his true personality and that doesn't come in until after North Cave.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Yeah but not at the end, so is the last game going to be by far the biggest with access to everything?

My theory is Episode 1 is a greatly expanded Midgar
Episode 2 is the whole open world right up until Cloud goes missing
And then Episode 3 is the whole open world again, from the point cloud goes missing and meteor shows up, as that seemed like a tonal shift for the entire world in the original. Kind of like a World of (impending) Ruin situation

The remake will not have any open world-map. It will be stream-lined in order for development to take a reasonable amount of time.

I think people should stop thinking Square Enix will take the original game and adopt its structure to the new game.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't think about it like that. If it's hitting 70 hours then that would be amazing, but how would they pad it out that much?

Are they adding lots of content based on the extended canon? I'm hoping it all pays off and isn't chock full of unneeded padding.

I think the game needs to more or less follow the original, make it like resident evil 2. Don't change too much.
They don't need to 'add content', so much as taking an old game scenario and turning it into a modern game will inherently pad the game out.

Midgar in the original amounts to a handful of small rooms, some random battles, and some text boxes representing cutscenes. If you made Midgar with today's fidelity: large explorable environments, lengthy voiced cutscenes, etc... that could easily be a full game by itself if they wanted it to be, even without adding much that was not in the original scenario.

I think the difference with RE2 is that the original was realistically proportioned and so too it was easy to make a modern game of those same proportions. I don't think an RPG remake of this scale will be like that. They aren't going to just make HD versions of the same 12 jpegs that represented Midgar in the original. The proportions and scale will change so much between original and remake.

This is IMO, of course. They could do a 1:1 version of the original game in HD, but I think that would fall short of their ambitions to make it a relevant AAA game again. And I believe the whole episodic thing is to account for the inherently inflated proportions that a modern AAA game entails (and to make it a "series" unto itself). If it's really the same game, just prettier and cut into 3 parts of 15 hours each, I'll eat my hat.

Last edited:

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018

I am more worried they will stuff up Aerith's character, by taking away her street smart edge & make her more innocent.
Vincent hopefully shouldn't be too dark either, he was just distant & quiet, not really too emo, when we open his coffin in the remake, linkin park music better not be playing.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like something that should highlighted so that people don't freakout about the combat!
While I'm hopeful, I am still a bit scared that other people at SQEX will screw things up. Like, "this is Final Fantasy so we must not go too far into deep action RPG combat territory to make it more approachable for the old school fans" or some such line of thinking bringing it down.

ioriyagami

Oct 28, 2017
It is still too early, but the gameplay looks like is going to be a variation of FFXV's. I hope magic attacks are more than just "magic grenades" this time.

The rumored episodic nature of it is still the most concerning thing to me.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
Even though i prefer turn based, i had some fun with FFXV's combat.
The characters\music\locations\nostalgia can hold me through this one, even if it's crappy.
It does look great though.
Happy thoughts, it's gonna be awesome!

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Why do people keep comparing this with FFXV? It's a different game made by a different team. Do people think every FF game is made by the same people?

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Quite easy actually: The shown footage looks like ass - aesthetically as well as mechanically - compared to the original game.

While aesthetically I might agree somewhat (still haven't seen enough), mechanically we have not seen nearly enough, and the battle system compared to the original, just based on how FFXV and FFVII plays, this should be way ahead.

Macnair

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
People keep mentioning Cloud's moody personality in Advent. Maybe they forgot the scene he's enjoying the fight with Bahamut (or Sephiroth?) and the party noticing the "OG Cloud" is back.