• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Okay, this is the first promotional stuff for the game to get me well and truly hyped.

I should probably replay FF7 before this hits.

Oct 31, 2017
the game looks great

the dub less so...

It's become pretty evident that this is a budget dub lol. IIRC isn't the voice of Aerith a freakin' streamer and not a voice actor?

It could also be the same Voice Director that KH3 and Dissidia NT used, who is fucking god awful.

Probably. Ever since Type-0 the voice acting from SE games has fallen off a cliff. I thought XV's English voice acting was trash too outside of Ardyn

That said, the voices here are good IMO. The only one that's horrible is Barret

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
the game looks great

the dub less so...

It's become pretty evident that this is a budget dub lol. IIRC isn't the voice of Aerith a freakin' streamer and not a voice actor?

It could also be the same Voice Director that KH3 and Dissidia NT used, who is fucking god awful.

I think most of the voice cast are newcomers. They wanted to start fresh. None of the established FF7 VAs were cast.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
I would never, ever play an action RPG with an emphasis on mid-battle banter in Japanese. That would be terrible - you'd miss out on almost all of the dialogue.

I agree with you.

That being said, Japanese is so much better voice acted in general that I decided to... just learn it.

So yeah I'm with you that you should not miss the banter. I just don't want to miss the meaning of the voices while in the middle of the action.

I was able to understand about 70% of what they said on this last trailer (they enunciate very well and don't speak overly fast). Its glorious and its a great drive to keep studing every single day.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
the game looks great

the dub less so...

YouTubers can be real actors too, you know. The fact that it's not just TROY BAKER LAURA BAILEY TRAVIS WILLINGHAM like every single other game in the world nowadays is honestly a refreshing change of pace.

At least wait until there's a fully playable demo before you worry about the quality of the voice acting.

I think most of the voice cast are newcomers. They wanted to start fresh. None of the established FF7 VAs were cast.

At the very least there was a distinct emphasis on using actors who weren't already associated with FF or JRPGs. Tyler Hoechlin and Britt Baron are both pretty damn fun actors and they're playing Sephiroth and Tifa. This isn't a budget production.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
YouTubers can be real actors too, you know. The fact that it's not just TROY BAKER LAURA BAILEY TRAVIS WILLINGHAM like every single other game in the world nowadays is honestly a refreshing change of pace.

At least wait until there's a fully playable demo before you worry about the quality of the voice acting.

You know what? You're right

I just miss the old cast.

One thing is for sure- I already like new guy over Steve Burton's snore inducing Cloud (though a lot of times he was cloud, he was actually depressed so I can't blame him.)

But it kinda sounds like Reno went from Quinton Flynn to Robbie Daymond

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In-engine, it looks like. We're basically seeing a Naughty Dog-level example of how single-platform focus can really benefit a game's visuals.
If you go back to the E3 demo they seemlessly transition between cutscenes and gameplay like ND does a lot. Its gonna be great. I also think they are still retaining some CG cutscenes as the whole intro will still be CG with the view of Midgar.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
They really went all out for this goddamn. Also that final shot made me thinking, how the hell are they going to handle open world with that scale in the next game???

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
That was for the major dialogue, I thought. Do the subtitles also pop up for incidental battle banter, though? That's where playing in Japanese would be an issue.
I thought it covered both but it looks like it doesnt pick up stuff like Barret saying "suck on this". So I guess it's still up in the air.

Though like you say, based on trends it probably won't be.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You know what? You're right

I just miss the old cast.

One thing is for sure- I already like new guy over Steve Burton's snore inducing Cloud (though a lot of times he was cloud, he was actually depressed so I can't blame him.)

But it kinda sounds like Reno went from Quinton Flynn to Robbie Daymond

Steve Burton has really good battle screams in KH but beyond that his performance is generally pretty dull. I wish they let him actually play FFVII Cloud instead of COMPILATION CLOUD, the worst version of the character.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Not to be rude but they're literally obviously different characters

latest

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I just find it funny all of the people shitting on the English dub when people who got to see the behind closed door demos had nothing but praise for it.

Then again I feel like half of people don't know what actual good voice acting is. They consider anything that isn't HYPER OVER ACTING to be shit.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
That was awesome and loads of new stuff not in the original game.

This 1st part just being set in Midgar is clearly going to be way more expanded than just a few extended scenes here and there. I'm super hyped for this.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Man, I must be bugging, because even as someone that's generally not bothered by the English VA in Square-Enix games this gen, VIIR's English VAing sounds significantly easier on the ears for me than just about their entire output in the last few years outside of maybe Automata.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I just find it funny all of the people shitting on the English dub when people who got to see the behind closed door demos had nothing but praise for it.

Then again I feel like half of people don't know what actual good voice acting is. They consider anything that isn't HYPER OVER ACTING to be shit.

Especially when it's taken outta context in a trailer. It's not like the JPN sounded any better from just the way it sounded. I'll def judge it within actual scenes.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

I'm just sitting over here as a professional actor and I'm listening to people shit on Noctis' voice acting in FFXV and I'm like "what".

I have issues with bits of XV's casting (mostly the fact that Gladio and Ignis' actors are both being forced to put on affectations that make them sound like cartoons when their normal voices would suit the characters they play perfectly), but Noctis is FANTASTIC. People really just want to shit on English voice acting whenever they can and it's so frustrating.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
It kinda is. It's not even something I thought about until they replaced him with a hologram in this trailer. Dude basically opening himself up to assassination otherwise.
I would argue that part of the best part of the Shinra President scene is that Shinra's hubris and domination is so great that they believe the Buster robot and everything is enough and Shinra isn't going to get his hands dirty. Makes him look like an even bigger bad ass which then makes his death more out of left field because he feared nothing prior, and didn't even recognize Cloud. >_> But again I have to just deal with these changes.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just sitting over here as a professional actor and I'm listening to people shit on Noctis' voice acting in FFXV and I'm like "what".

I have issues with bits of XV's casting (mostly the fact that Gladio and Ignis' actors are both being forced to put on affectations that make them sound like cartoons when their normal voices would suit the characters they play perfectly), but Noctis is FANTASTIC. People really just want to shit on English voice acting whenever they can and it's so frustrating.

Seriously and ever since dual audio options have become more prevalent it's only gotten worse.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
Honestly too much of XV's soundtrack is similar-sounding overpowering orchestral music, with the occasional choir thrown in.

VI's is no different in that regard. A mish-mash of a hundred different leitmotifs most done in different styles. To prove (to myself) that it's not nostalgia speaking, I'm running through the FF7 soundtrack and almost every track is a franchise staple/classic. Instantly memorable and recognizable. And I ain't no diehard ff7 fanatic.

XV's soundtrack on the other hand, is just forgettable sameness.

Lol what? I guess you have bad memory cause I downloaded like all the XV music and it's freakin awesome

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
This looks so good. Man, this, Cyberpunk, Animal Crossing, maybe The Last of Us 2. Beyond excited for the start of 2020.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017

English dub in FFXV was good. I think my main issue was the audio mix. Too loud compared to JPN voices for some reason. From what I remember. But it was fine.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking hell next year is gonna be brutal on my wallet and my time..FF7R looks amaaaaaaaaazing

then TLOU2, Cyberpunk, Ghost of Tsushima etc etc...what an ending to the gen

Aygomyownroad

Oct 27, 2017
I've gone from laughing at this game, especially the episodic release to then time it's taken since that e3...

But man that trailer!!!!

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow I just noticed that the Buster sword bounces off the ceiling in Clouds panic move. The little details are great.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Hubba hubba motha sucka!!

All I need to see is some open world/exploration segments and I'm sold!

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
It looked nice but I feel like I can finish it under 5 hours.

And I'm being generous.