Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, main combos should absolutely be one button, at least as an option.

There's no real reason for them not to be and it's more inclusive for more players if the option was there.
Given what people are saying the design for picto and viper is and I'm taking people by their word since I haven't looked deeper into it I think that#s just where the game will naturally go.

On the other side I think this is literally a case of a moving window and the move to consolidate 1-2-3 actually is not gonna solve anything if the devs hold to a certain level of mental stack for job engagement for fights. Cause the space that is gonna be freed up by 1-2-3 becoming 1-1-1 is just gonna be filled with something else(that said given the state of direction a lot of what I could cite here like buff timers, dots, more ogcds I recognize a lot of steps being taken against these things xD) but now in official capacity if they're moving towards the game changing that way.

It's just what's gonna happen by nature with the natural MMO progression of characters getting new skills.
The only way we'd go away from that is if they actively move towards a lower button bind cap on what they design jobs around.

NoalleGospell

Dec 3, 2018
Puerto Rico
While I understand wanting combos in 1 button and I would like the devs to add that option for accessibility, I legitimately don't understand how people thought that they said that they were adding it during the LL.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Given what people are saying the design for picto and viper is and I'm taking people by their word since I haven't looked deeper into it I think that#s just where the game will naturally go.

On the other side I think this is literally a case of a moving window and the move to consolidate 1-2-3 actually is not gonna solve anything if the devs hold to a certain level of mental stack for job engagement for fights. Cause the space that is gonna be freed up by 1-2-3 becoming 1-1-1 is just gonna be filled with something else but now in official capacity if they're moving towards the game changing that way.

It's just what's gonna happen by nature with the natural MMO progression of characters getting new skills.
The only way we'd go away from that is if they actively move towards a lower button bind cap on what they design jobs around.

I think they need to rip off the bandaid and add the ability now instead of continually dragging their feet on it.

Keep 1-2-3 as the default but add a 1-1-1 option for players like me who have cognitive issues or other hurdles to overcome and have difficulties.

It doesn't have to be anything more than an optional quality-of-life addon to make the game more inclusive and accessible.

The game design doesn't have to go up to compensate, all the option is doing is giving players who might struggle other options.

If suddenly every person playing the game switched to using 1-1-1 combos over 1-2-3, I'd argue that means the design around 1-2-3 combos was never that good to begin with.

It's why all the raiders absolutely whining about the possibility of 1-1-1 combos annoys the shit out of me - they were being ableist assholes.

While I understand wanting combos in 1 button and I would like the devs to add that option for accessibility, I legitimately don't understand how people thought that they said that they were adding it during the LL.

A lot of it was armchair reacting and people who weren't watching a nearly 5 hour live letter trusting those reactors as news sources.

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
I'm abit concerned about MP recovery during downtime on Black Mage to be honest. If you can't get MP ticks passively what happens when you have nothing to cast an ice spell at? Stuff like in fight cutscenes were always useful for MP regen in Umbral Ice. Does Umbral Soul spam still happen between mob pulls? Where is the media tour???

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
If suddenly every person playing the game switched to using 1-1-1 combos over 1-2-3, I'd argue that means the design around 1-2-3 combos was never that good to begin with.
I mean I can see why that's position people would come to but I don't really agree with the conclusion just cause what this essentially boils down to ultimately is where the designers think the friction should be in a game. In the end it's a matter of taste and who do you think you should serve.

In the end for a game to be interesting there is always gonna be points where the friction has to exist and just deciding where that point is will always exclude or include certain groups of people. That's just inherently the reality of it.

Like when you're saying they should do that I can understand that you think this type of friction shouldn't exist but I hope it also makes sense from the opposite point that for other people certain types of friction are inherent to the engagement of a thing.

As for the argument "it's just an option" I've long maintained this is something that maybe be true in an idealized reality where we all experience things in a vacuum but as far as I can tell for most things this is not the case. So there are cases where adding an option can and will inherently change the experience for players that aren't even opting to use that option. Now I'm not arguing if that is right or wrong but it is definitely a real observation I've made.
As someone that was cautioning against exactly that reaction on some of the discord places I'm part of people jumping the gun that way I think reality is Square didn't do a good job about communicating it. Like to me it was so vague the way they talked about it but then also made that comment about how it wouldn't extend to all types of skills that made me tell people to not assume stuff, but given how many people I saw make that jump it seems very clear the communication on that part wasn't succeeding in drawing very clear lines on what they meant.

Eidan

AVALANCHE
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
It's because they discussed the feature immediately after discussing their desire to consolidate buttons out of a concern of button bloat for gamepad players. It was odd framing.

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
I mean I can see why that's position people would come to but I don't really agree with the conclusion just cause what this essentially boils down to ultimately is where the designers think the friction should be in a game. In the end it's a matter of taste and who do you think you should serve.

In the end for a game to be interesting there is always gonna be points where the friction has to exist and just deciding where that point is will always exclude or include certain groups of people. That's just inherently the reality of it.

Like when you're saying they should do that I can understand that you think this type of friction shouldn't exist but I hope it also makes sense from the opposite point that for other people certain types of friction are inherent to the engagement of a thing.

As for the argument "it's just an option" I've long maintained this is something that maybe be true in an idealized reality where we all experience things in a vacuum but as far as I can tell for most things this is not the case. So there are cases where adding an option can and will inherently change the experience for players that aren't even opting to use that option. Now I'm not arguing if that is right or wrong but it is definitely a real observation I've made.

To me the math is simple: The more players the game includes, the better it is for the overall health of the game. Hardcore raiders (of which I used to be on the top end of) hem and haw and will always do so, as that's the very nature of wanting to be "the best" (or thinking you are among the best) but the "silent majority" that is more midcore to casual will always be where the vast majority of the money for the game comes from.

You develop for different player levels through content, which is something the XIV team has been adding more and different types of over the years. However, the jobs (in general) and the actual mechanics for most of the jobs have become bloated indecipherable messes of system ontop of system ontop of system until a job creaks under its own weight and has to be stripped down to the bone or completely reworked.

They've taken steps to fix part of this with upgradeable skills and transforming buttons, and I've been advocating since ARR that the 1-2-3 button combo is mostly empty busywork that is being used as a crutch that everyone is afraid to let go of when it could be filled with things far more interesting.

Like, Gunbreaker is RIGHT there as an example of a job that takes its boring 1-2-3 button and makes it interesting with continuation and that job would be just as interesting if it was 1-2-1-2-1-2 or if it was 1-C-2-C-3-C and both of those options are infinitely better than the older system of 1-4-2-5-3-6.

To me, its been infinitely frustrating seeing the XIV dev team take years to put things into place that players have either noted to them multiple times or have asked for multiple times. It's their biggest weakness as a team and has been for about a decade now. It took them over 5 years to fix Living Dead, it took them a bajillion years to fix Wild Fire, fix their broken DOT system, move stuff to stackable buffs instead of stupid burst windows and now we see in Dawntrail, yet again, they are implementing changes people have been asking about for years.

They move so frustratingly slow and it's their biggest Achilles heel. Even in the combat live letter yesterday, for their brand new expansion, they are already kicking rocks down the road for 8.0 and basically telling players to "please look forward to it".

MrLandmaster

Jan 21, 2018
Really disappointing news about the combo consolidation. Especially since they talked about this feature right after mentioning how bloated the hotbars have gotten. How does the option to decouple existing single button combos into even more hotbar slots address this problem. Like, what?

I badly crave a more streamlined experience. I'm still constantly staring at my hotbars at the detriment of actually looking at the action. People will say "ah you will get used to your rotation eventually and won't need to look so much anymore" but I've been playing for years. It's just not gonna happen for me. Throw me a bone here!

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
So they basically just gave us the option to have more button bloat.

So stupid. The slide before mentioned stuff about "ease of use" regarding abilities and their idea is "what if you give you more buttons? Buttons that only work when you press the previous button so will sit on your hot bar inactive for 99% of the time?".

And then they make Viper and Pictomancer with condensed, PVP style 1-2-3 combos as part of their kit.

Last edited:

MrTharne

May 26, 2023
The thing about combos consolidation is that with the changes they made to Monk, it would be impossible to consolidate their 6 weaponskills, at best you can consolidate Dragon Kick and Bootshine to go from 6 to 5 but that's still give you this :

- DRG : 1-1-1-1-1 2-2-2-2-2
- RPR : 1-1-1
- SAM : 1-1 2-2-2 3-3-3
- NIN : 1-1-1 2-2-2
- wtf VPR is
and then...
- MNK with (if we consolidate DK and BS) :
1-2-3
1-4-5
1-4-5
1-2-5
1-4-3
1-4-5
1-2-5
1-4-5
1-4-3
1-2-5
1-4-5
1-4-5
LOOP

Isn't that a bit ridiculous that one Melee has to work that much harder than everybody else and has the possibility of miss-press their rotation be that much larger compare to the others ?
And I don't see them changing Monk AGAIN.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
To me the math is simple: The more players the game includes, the better it is for the overall health of the game. Hardcore raiders (of which I used to be on the top end of) hem and haw and will always do so, as that's the very nature of wanting to be "the best" (or thinking you are among the best) but the "silent majority" that is more midcore to casual will always be where the vast majority of the money for the game comes from.
I don't disagree with any of this given that yeah when you decide this is my target audience design decisions will move in a certain way.
I think just to add on from the post before though it shouldn't be surprising and I think to a lot of people the motivation to be against certain things aren't really ableist, it's just simply taste and what anyone feels is engaging.

(tangent and not related to the button merging thing)Like to me I'm bracing to be much more casual for DT cause as of this point in time to the best of my ability to imagine where the game is going to go during DT with the info they gave us it doesn't sell to me the idea of wanting to raid. As far as I can tell I'm probably falling out of the target audience for that type of content with the way things are moving and how enjoyable the button pressing part of the game is going to be. The thing though I'm not passionate enough about FF14 to complain about that in a way that other people seem to be much more emotionally charged about. But I certainly can see the perspective regardless.

Mostly my intention on engaging on this one is kinda calling back that the core of this discussion is taste. It's not ableist maliciousness(at least for most of the people) or people being stupid but to me I just see different taste in games and given how broad the FF14 audience is as MMO audience tend to be it shouldn't be a surprise that some of the people playing the game will be in conflict over their taste.

Last edited:

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
The thing about combos consolidation is that with the changes they made to Monk, it would be impossible to consolidate their 6 weaponskills, at best you can consolidate Dragon Kick and Bootshine to go from 6 to 5 but that's still give you this :

- wtf VPR is
and then...
1-2-3
1-4-5
1-4-5
1-2-5
1-4-3
1-4-5
1-2-5
1-4-5
1-4-3
1-2-5
1-4-5
1-4-5
LOOP

Isn't that a bit ridiculous that one Melee has to work that much harder than everybody else and has the possibility of miss-press their rotation be that much larger compare to the others ?

I mean that's a problem for the designers and Monk will absolutely get changed again at some point in the future since it's the job that just never stays static.

Losing Demolish and Twin Snakes, which seem to be going away, just put them on the path to that change too.

Monk has always had to work harder, it's just the nature of the job, for better or worse.

You simplify where you can!

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017

I mean, MNK still has that. Hitting 1-2-3 is just as braindead as hitting 1-1-1 just takes two more hotbar slots. People aren't miss-pressing their 1-2-3 combos anyway so MNK is already more complex right now due to their combo route yet that isn't a problem for those that want to play MNK.

And yeah, XIVcombo condenses them like you say. You put down the last button of the combo, and then it works its way towards it. So SAM still has three buttons to hit instead of six to get its stickers.

VPR and PIC are already using condensed combos.

Plus, if they condensed them they would include the "gimmmie all the buttons" option like they are doing to split out the already good QoL buttons. So SAM can still have their 6 basic combo buttons etc.

MrTharne

May 26, 2023
I mean that's a problem for the designers and Monk will absolutely get changed again at some point in the future since it's the job that just never stays static.

Losing Demolish and Twin Snakes, which seem to be going away, just put them on the path to that change too.

Monk has always had to work harder, it's just the nature of the job, for better or worse.

You simplify where you can!
The buff and dot go away, but the moves still exist and give stacks to empower the other move of the corresponding Form.
Q22eDtS.png

They made the loop bigger in Dawntrail.

Jan 11, 2018
It's why all the raiders absolutely whining about the possibility of 1-1-1 combos annoys the shit out of me - they were being ableist assholes.

It's the whole thing about measuring their self-esteem in gaming accomplishments thing. But what they fail to understand is that people who are bad at raiding aren't suddenly going to be able to clear content that they otherwise wouldn't have. Likewise, people who are already good aren't suddenly gonna enter god mode. I'm willing to be the vast majority of the people who would like PvP style combos where possible are also not the kind of players to do Savage prog day one either. We also had a lot of people being upset that resources were spent on adding Duty Support for older dungeons.

Meanwhile, end game crafters be like "praise be to macros" lol

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017

I guess I still don't really understand how the rotation works between the palette skills and the motif skills. Are you just constantly alternating between them? It feels like that could get really chaotic with all the variance in cast times but maybe I'm missing something.

It's so funny that they spent so long going over the motif skills and then only spent about 5 seconds showing how the rotation actually works at the end. At least I could parse it way more than the Viper section, but admittedly I had to stop watching right before Picto so I went out of my way to watch it later.

Meanwhile, end game crafters be like "praise be to macros" lol

Hey, why are we catching strays here…

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
I've been praying for 1-2-3 consolidation for a long time. On a Mouse and Keyboard it's not a big deal... but as a controller player, having two more easily accessible buttons is a godsend. The problem with 1-2-3 is you need to button map them on your most convenient button presses, which means the three easiest button presses on your controller are dedicated to one skill.

Hey, why are we catching strays here…

Next live Letter.
All Crafts are now Expert Level Crafts

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Next live Letter.
All Crafts are now Expert Level Crafts

You have made the mistake of replying to one of the few people who would enjoy this (until she went to make several of her friends gear at-cost as usual and died of boredom while making the intermediate mats).

I want even more experts in DT. Or at least I hope they keep up with there being some added each patch for something even without the Sanctuary being focused on.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
You have made the mistake of replying to one of the few people who would enjoy this (until she went to make several of her friends gear at-cost as usual and died of boredom while making the intermediate mats).

I want even more experts in DT. Or at least I hope they keep up with there being some added each patch for something even without the Sanctuary being focused on.

I'll be 100% honest.
I've had max level crafters in every expansion.
BiS Pentamelded every patch.
Own all Skysteel / Splendorous Tools.
Have every single crafting achievements except Diadem.

....and I couldn't tell you what a single crafting skill does or how the system works.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be 100% honest.
I've had max level crafters in every expansion.
BiS Pentamelded every patch.
Own all Skysteel / Splendorous Tools.
Have every single crafting achievements except Diadem.

....and I couldn't tell you what a single crafting skill does or how the system works.

Make one bar go up to full before the other bar goes down to empty, really.

and then making one go bar up faster and the other go bar down slower

that's all it is at the end of the day

and then experts = that first bar better be >99% full or else it's worthless

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I've done the whole crafting shit this expansion and I probably won't do it again next one. xD It's too much work.
I don't mb hard enough to make a big multi million profit during the first week of patch releases.
If I need it I'll probably just do the gatherer jobs and push mats to friends.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Did I read this right? It seems like almost all the new actions are either extensions of existing button pushes (like a new finisher) or even if a true net new action, they are also consolidating a button or two in the actions (unless you select that option to decouple mentioned above). Like Fight or Flight + Goring Blade for PLD.

If so, I love that. I'm always concerned when they add more button bloat. I feel like at most a job will have a net gain of 1 or 2, but good chance either no gain or even a lose. Like for example with PLD, it feels like we will have a loss of 1 button.

I would love a couple more jobs that move towards SMN number of buttons. Add some other complexity in the job but a job like SMN allows us controller players to focus on the gameplay side of it without worrying about controller dexterity. The closer I can get to most of everything being done (except situational buttons or OGCDs) in 16 actions, the happier I am.

EDIT - I would like if each category had a SMN-like button consolidation job. So far we have it with only mDPS (SMN) and tank (GNB). I guess now it's less SMN and more PVP-like job. Love combo consolidations into 1 button.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I barely made any money crafting in the back half of EW. I made a good amount the first few patches but fell off hard because I just didn't have the time to craft. I feel kinda dumb having all my stuff pentamelded and not really benefitting.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if they introduced the new "decouple" option because they plan to do more PVP-like combo consolidations after 7.0 so they want to get players used to being able to flex both ways (KB/pro players can decouple, controller/OK players can keep them consolidated) before they start doing it more?

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have started running my FCs submersibles because no one else was doing it and it is outrageous how much Gil you get from those. I know it took a lot of time and money to get them leveled up and equipped fully that I was not around for, but now that they just work it's wild. Getting from 300,000 - 500,000 Gil every 36 hours from stuff they bring back that you just sell direct to a vendor. And I'm pretty sure they aren't even set up with the best parts for that kind of voyage.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I've done the whole crafting shit this expansion and I probably won't do it again next one. xD It's too much work.
I don't mb hard enough to make a big multi million profit during the first week of patch releases.

I like to pretend I'll be smart and try to make money every time. But in practice I try that for like a day, get bored with it, and then it's all just me really liking being able to make stuff for friends. Crafting things for people like that is really my preferred RPG fantasy even over the combat jobs, I feel. Despite being pretty uncreative/bad with my hands nor very financially minded in real life, lol.

Most of my money was made was when I was just starting out and logging in every day just selling furniture and such, and everything since then has been brief moments of me trying to make some quick gil paying off. Pretty much all the money I made this entire expansion cycle was selling the initial Sanctuary expert crafts that you can trade for the otter fountain; maybe I'm misremembering how much was that specifically but I'm pretty sure that was 100-150m by the time more people started selling them and I stopped trying to keep up.

(The later experts barely sold at all in comparison, even though working on them was somehow most of what I did when playing in the first few days following each patch.)

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy to have every craft at max level, and just stick with scrip gear. Yeah I'm not gonna be a MB mogul but I can make a bunch of casual stuff just fine and that suits my needs, plus fulfills my OCD of seeing every level bar full (well not the desynth one, I'm not THAT deranged). Also lets me do all the crafting questlines for the expansions.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have started running my FCs submersibles because no one else was doing it and it is outrageous how much Gil you get from those. I know it took a lot of time and money to get them leveled up and equipped fully that I was not around for, but now that they just work it's wild. Getting from 300,000 - 500,000 Gil every 36 hours from stuff they bring back that you just sell direct to a vendor. And I'm pretty sure they aren't even set up with the best parts for that kind of voyage.
Submersible voyages are OP. I'm up to like 150 million gil right now due to them. My FC is tiny, with like 4 active members in it, so most of the profits are mine.. but I'll throw them some stipend gil here and there just because the income is infinite lol

Before getting all set up with submersibles the most gil I ever had at any point was like 3-4 million. I also dabble in crafting and stay mostly up to date with it but I only do that so I can do all my own crafting of new gear and furnishings, and to craft that stuff for my SO.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Realized something, Koana the new Miqo'te from Tural does not follow traditional Miqo'te naming conventions. I'm sure it's because he was adopted but still find it kind of fascinating and it has me curious if the traditional naming structure will be present in Tural at all.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
Realized something, Koana the new Miqo'te from Tural does not follow traditional Miqo'te naming conventions. I'm sure it's because he was adopted but still find it kind of fascinating and it has me curious if the traditional naming structure will be present in Tural at all.

They'll probably have new naming conventions for the region. They did a pretty extensive list of them for the First

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, quickest way to grind level 66-67 without running Bardam's Mettle 15 times? I hate that dungeon. Did get the orchestrion roll though, nice.

komaruR

Oct 28, 2017
http://www.twitch.tv/komarur
well for this expansion, tome mats are pretty much the bottleneck for any crafting. almost all the endgame crafts use some sort of tome mats. so if the dev doing the same for 7.x. thats gonna be the best money source.
i rember that started out like 20-40k per mat and the most it drop to when ppl done with gearing, was around 10k range.

well ofcourse the folklore node mats too from gathering

doing faux weekly if the unreal trial is ez is good money too. some of the minion can be easily sold for 8mil or so.

Last edited:

komaruR

Oct 28, 2017
http://www.twitch.tv/komarur
yea i was running the subs ever since some1 in this thread mention about it back in shb.
since no1 was doing anything, i just went and outfit and lv up 4 subs.
the money i get range from 300-800k. il say on avg it would be 450k per voyage for me.
the faster build can get it done around 26hr and the slow build is about 32hrs for me.
during post shb til early post ew, i was constantly sending out for money.
nowdays i only send it out when im rember or even bother to log on lol.
i think i did amass to near 80-100m from the active time i spent on it. we bought a med fc house. spent about 20mil to decor. still got 10mil in chest.
i kept the rest since i was the sole person lv/repairing/etc all the stuff

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I like to pretend I'll be smart and try to make money every time. But in practice I try that for like a day, get bored with it, and then it's all just me really liking being able to make stuff for friends. Crafting things for people like that is really my preferred RPG fantasy even over the combat jobs, I feel. Despite being pretty uncreative/bad with my hands nor very financially minded in real life, lol.

Most of my money was made was when I was just starting out and logging in every day just selling furniture and such, and everything since then has been brief moments of me trying to make some quick gil paying off. Pretty much all the money I made this entire expansion cycle was selling the initial Sanctuary expert crafts that you can trade for the otter fountain; maybe I'm misremembering how much was that specifically but I'm pretty sure that was 100-150m by the time more people started selling them and I stopped trying to keep up.

(The later experts barely sold at all in comparison, even though working on them was somehow most of what I did when playing in the first few days following each patch.)
Yeah I tried and gave up as well. For me most of my money just comes from selling stuff from new content like criterion mounts or bozja stuff when that was a thing. People pay big early for that stuff and I'm sitting at a comfortable ~200 mil myself right now so I'm not too fussed about gil either.
My biggest sell from how inflated the price was to what it turned to was some island sanctuary glam piece from those gacha boxes they introduced sold a thing for like 400k and it sank all the way down to 2k gil over the next weeks.

well for this expansion, tome mats are pretty much the bottleneck for any crafting. almost all the endgame crafts use some sort of tome mats. so if the dev doing the same for 7.x. thats gonna be the best money source.
i rember that started out like 20-40k per mat and the most it drop to when ppl done with gearing, was around 10k range.

well ofcourse the folklore node mats too from gathering

doing faux weekly if the unreal trial is ez is good money too. some of the minion can be easily sold for 8mil or so.
yep a reason is def that from my experience even if I wanted to make money just selling raw mats early is about the best effort to payout ratio for me.
Competing on crafted gear for good profits is kinda hell of constantly updating your prices. Mats early sell quite fast at def inflated prices.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
For endwalker iirc the embargo lifted pretty fast after the media tour happened like within 2 weeks or so.
So I would expect it end of this month or start of June.

PeacefulDream

Oct 25, 2017
They should put a nerd warning on the video for when the Bard in the Wanderer's Minuet section gets three Repertoire stacks and then sits on them through 36 seconds and 33 seconds.

Arcticfox

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like I'll need to continue to use XIVLauncher for the XIV Combo plugin to comfortably play the game with a controller. I was really hoping they would get rid of the button bloat, not add more.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017

Eidan

AVALANCHE
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Also would buy us more space for additional combos that work differently. Supersize my job, YoshiP!
And that's the biggest reason I would want to see the 1-2-3's reduced. I'm legit just running out of real estate on my cross hot bars. There's only but so many I can easily access in combat without completely dropping my rotation.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

- wtf VPR is
and then...
1-2-3
1-4-5
1-4-5
1-2-5
(...)
LOOP

That's nothing new. Monks have always had to dedicate way more attention to their mix-and-match combo structure than other melee classes. The thing is those other Melee classes make up the difference elsewhere with their own job mechanics. But just for the sake of discussion, what if instead of simply labeling every combo into its own combo button, we split them at the point where the player is making the decision to branch into a different combo. I.E.

EW SAM: 1-1-1, 1-2-2, 1-3 (Loop)
EW DRG: 1-1-1-3-4, 1-2-2-4-3 (Loop)
EW MNK: 1-2-3, 1-4-5, 1-4-5, 1-2-5, etc., (Loop)
EW NIN: 1-1-1, 1-1-2, 1-1-1, 1-1-1, 1-1-1, 1-1-2, etc. (Loop)

Are these classes freeing up two buttons over Monk's one that bad?

Last edited: