• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
I never said it determines how much they show Hien. In fact, they've shown him a number of times since Stormblood, but every time with unvoiced lines.

And "big names" doesn't determine how busy they are. You can be more famous but have a lighter schedule.

I was typing it before work so in a rush but I think what I put after the word shows about 3 other people being punished makes it fairly obvious that by "shows" I meant "shows up and given voice lines" especially since like you said he has shown up (barely) in Endwalker. So I guess if I need to fix it, they don't determine how much someone gets voiced by 1 single person's being busy, when there's 4 voice actors (and usually more than that in other games) per character. If someone suddenly dies out of nowhere (e.g. ENG Zavala in Destiny) they might do that because then they get put in a pretty bad situation where they only have partially complete recordings and have to recast out of nowhere which can be at a very bad time (rather than after work has been completed), but that's death, not being busy. (which Destiny also has examples of, they recast ENG Ikora and ENG Ana Bray because of them being too busy)

Square-Enix is not going to make 3 other people not get paid because Andrew Koji and maybe Jonathan Bailey are ever "too busy", they will just recast. It's rude as hell to all the other voice actors to fuck them over because of 1 guy just being "too busy".

e:

Because this game (like most games) voices everyone equally 1:1 across all languages in case if you're thinking it's just not ENG Hien not being voiced or something.

Last edited:

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
If someone suddenly dies out of nowhere (e.g. ENG Zavala in Destiny) they might do that because then they get put in a pretty bad situation where they only have partially complete recordings and have to recast out of nowhere which can be at a very bad time (rather than after work has been completed), but that's death, not being busy. (which Destiny also has examples of, they recast ENG Ikora and ENG Ana Bray because of them being too busy)

They've already had to do that. They had to replace Yugiri's Heavensward actress in 3.5 and Stormblood because the woman who voiced her was murdered.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
He was gushing about both the character and the writing in that interview. If he was committed to voicing G'raha while doing 8 shows a week of Company during SHB, then I think he'll find a way to make it work.
I was typing it before work so in a rush but I think what I put after the word shows about 3 other people being punished makes it fairly obvious that by "shows" I meant "shows up and given voice lines" especially since like you said he has shown up (barely) in Endwalker. So I guess if I need to fix it, they don't determine how much someone gets voiced by 1 single person's being busy, when there's 4 voice actors (and usually more than that in other games) per character. If someone suddenly dies out of nowhere (e.g. ENG Zavala in Destiny) they might do that because then they get put in a pretty bad situation where they only have partially complete recordings and have to recast out of nowhere which can be at a very bad time (rather than after work has been completed), but that's death, not being busy. (which Destiny also has examples of, they recast ENG Ikora and ENG Ana Bray because of them being too busy)

Square-Enix is not going to make 3 other people not get paid because Andrew Koji and maybe Jonathan Bailey are ever "too busy", they will just recast. It's rude as hell to all the other voice actors to fuck them over because of 1 guy just being "too busy".

e:

Because this game (like most games) voices everyone equally 1:1 across all languages in case if you're thinking it's just not ENG Hien not being voiced or something.

I'm aware of that, and I realize it's a JP game first and foremost, but the localization departments do work very closely with the JP team and I don't think it's as cut and dried as you suggest that there'd be zero influence there from their respective casting situations, particularly from the English side.

Yes, it's possible that they simply haven't given him any spoken lines because they haven't had any to give him. But it's a little conspicuous that there have been multiple "getting the band back together" scenes involving all of the various factions we've been involved with over the expansions, with spoken dialogue from characters we've not seen in awhile, and yet somehow Hien hasn't been involved even once despite being Lyse's or Aymeric's equal as a faction leader. They always have Cirina and Sadu representing Othard instead in those scenes. Maybe that's purely a creative choice, but it's a fairly odd one if so, all things considered.

G'raha is a little different story. They can't get away without recasting him, should it come to that. He's too important to the main story for them not to, which will be unfortunate.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017

katsu044

Mar 1, 2021
canada
summoner is awful only one i said wow that looks like actual low leveling gear

everything else looks good more closer to the basic ARR style where Sam just looks full on samurai
happy my monk looks decent for once , maybe one day pally's will get a cool helmet

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
I just discovered this game is a lot more fun leveling subsequent jobs and leveling additional jobs. Being able to go fishing while waiting for queues as a Black Mage is so nice.

The limited inventory space of the trial is a bit of a bummer. I can't acquire any storage at all?

Last edited:

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Most of them look fantastic but some range from boring (WHM/SGE/SCH) to kinda shit (BRD/MNK).

Also it bothers me a lot that Pictomancer's butt dagger is positioned to clip heavily with tails and I don't even play any tailed races. What were they thinking?

Fireye

Oct 26, 2017
I just discovered this game is a lot more fun leveling subsequent jobs and leveling additional jobs. Being able to go fishing while waiting for queues as a Black Mage is so nice.

The limited inventory space of the trial is a bit of a bummer. I can't acquire any storage at all?

You get saddle bags, but as free trial nope, no additional storage beyond that.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
All the new AFs are amaaaazing. The velvet sash on RDM... the translucencies on DNC... that Reaper scythe... 🤤

Only tangentially related, but one of the most exciting things for me are not just the new dungeon gear sets(which I'm sure are going to look incredible judging by the game's currently inspired armor aesthetics) but going back through the Endwalker dungeons that drop weapons and seeing what the new class weapons look like from there. I am unreasonably curious about the Magitek Picto Brush that will drop from Tower of Babel, for one example.

Xevren

Oct 25, 2017
I love hoods, so I'm biased in my love for the Viper gear. I'm seriously considering leveling up viper at the start and playing through MSQ, but unsure if I can resist from doing the msq right when DT comes out.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
Love the new AF sets. Some more than others but on the whole they're solid. Especially when considering the dye channels.

Also Hrothgar look amazing, both genders. Not sure if I'll change though.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
I swear most of these are old sets.

AF sets are defined by their job identity anyway, so all Warrior AF looks like Warrior, with no other thematic distinction. Though maybe they should add another theme that's Expansion-relevant, like a tropical getaway artifact armors for Dawntrail.

Deathly curious about Arcadion sets because that has to be wild.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That's usually the case for the artifact gear. If you lined up like all the white mage or red mage ones side by side, good luck identifying which expansion they came from.

AF sets are defined by their job identity anyway, so all Warrior AF looks like Warrior, with no other thematic distinction. Though maybe they should add another theme that's Expansion-relevant, like a tropical getaway artifact armors for Dawntrail.

Deathly curious about Arcadion sets because that has to be wild.
I guess previously I felt the artifact sets were influenced by the expansion they were in as well as the job of course. These ones...just kinda seem like drafts that didn't make the cut in past expansions.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Bard's set looks great, though the weapon looks kinda silly when drawn. Good concept though.

All I really play is Dancer so I need to see how it looks on males. EW's artifact set for Dancer is hard to top.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
The sets have hints of Spanish colonial fashion and traditional native elements from South America. (A few of them. A good bit just look very FFXIV.)

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
I guess previously I felt the artifact sets were influenced by the expansion they were in as well as the job of course. These ones...just kinda seem like drafts that didn't make the cut in past expansions.

Hm I disagree, look at a job you're not familiar with and see if you can distinguish which one came from what expansion and why. The easiest ones are ARR Arrtifacts because they look like classic FF artwork. Dragoon looks like Kain in ARR and everything after that is purple dragon ish variants. You really can't say which one is better because it comes down to whatever you personally liked more.

Soma

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco
WHM gear...

CvSKJCq.png

Loving the BRD set +weapon tho!. Praying YoshiP will let my Viera wear the hat (it's not happening 😢)

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
What's the best job to try and solo PotD?

As mentioned, MCH and RDM are popular, WAR has also become a popular choice.

I haven't managed to finish a solo run, but I've tried a lot of jobs. I think it's worth trying out several to see what you enjoy more. MCH is considered the strongest, but if you don't like kiting all the time then ranged DPS might not be a good fit, DNC and BRD have the same approach but less damage. RDM and SMN are both good for casters and will both also be kiting a lot, RDM is popular for its healing for some safety. Melee DPS are a good choice if you want damage and don't want to kite as much, and RPR is very solid, but for the rest I know the least about them. Tanks are tanks, they'll survive longer but will be slower to kill so time can become an issue, WAR has become popular for its higher DPS. Healers are a lot like tanks, good survivability but lower damage, SGE and SCH are the easiest out of them thanks to shields and better mobility.

Ranged DPS and Tanks have interrupts that stop pox from mimics and makes them less annoying, which may be worth considering too.

MrTharne

May 26, 2023

ChimeraTech

Apr 7, 2022
Wow, I was debating between Viper or Ninja for my play through MSQ. I wasnt looking forward to leveling Viper, but seeing how awesome the ninja set looks, I'm definitely sticking with ninja.

The spiked armguard on one of the arms is too cool. And yeah, materials on all of the sets look great.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Me playing Reaper in Dawntrail

www.youtube.com

Burn

Provided to YouTube by Atlantic RecordsBurn · The CureThe Crow Original Motion Picture Soundtrack℗ 1993 Warner MusicUnknown: Baker MascarenasDrums: Boris Wil...