Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've always wondered: how hardcore is the Savage raiding scene when it comes to rotation? I naturally try my best to be as close as possible to my ideal rotation, but naturally, mistakes will happen. I used to be huge into raiding in WoW, but in my 8 years playing FFXIV, never got into savage raiding (mostly for fear of the answer to this very question).

I've had a general interest in finding a static, but with the complexity of savage mechanics, I'm not sure I have the brainpower to both remember all of the mechanics AND do my ideal rotation. That seems like a LOT.

Ideal perfect rotations is not something anyone ever really checks unless you're in a super hardcore group that's going for speed kills or Week 1 stuff. If you have a decent GCD uptime, generally line up your party buffs with each two minute burst, and have some semblance of a correct rotation you're probably good. That all should be enough to get FFLogs numbers in the 25-50% range (ie green to blue numbers), which is more than enough for a clear. Hitting something in the slight wrong order, missing a double weave, or using some cooldowns outside of the burst isn't going to torpedo your numbers to the level where it'd matter for hitting enrage or not.

The only time you really run into trouble hitting erange is if multiple people in the group truly don't know how to play and are just terrible at hitting buttons. In my casual group last tier, my co-healer was a constant 0-5% parser because their GCD uptime was just abyssmal and we had two DPS that were just horribly incosistent also hitting gray numbers most of the time. Even then we would clear most fights with some deaths once we got gear. I eventually had to kick those people for social reasons, but it certainly made clears a lot more consistent once we did.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Can't tell looking it up if the Emerald Carbuncle Earring is a two ear set or yet another single ear item. If it's the former then may try getting those during the event.

Fireye

Oct 26, 2017

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This style of Moogle Event will be good to close out the expansion on. Last time was fun to just get a little bit of direction of things to do and it resulted in some more group activity with the FC.

Really they should just update Wondrous Tales and have it be a system like this instead in Dawntrail. An ongoing set of weekly objectives from varying pieces of content would be a nice way to populate areas, queues and etc. And it's exactly the kind of thing people were lamenting we had a lack of due to how the Endwalker Relics worked.

Very curious what they'll put as the "Ultimog" challenge which was ocean fishing last time. That was very successful at finally getting me to level my fisher after three years of playing the game. I suppose they could just repeat it, as there really aren't a ton of other activities in that style that are accessible to players in ARR and don't require a ton of leveling. My thought for a similar thing would be Palace of the Dead. Having the objective be beating the Floor 50 boss would probably be appropriate. Though that wouldn't be particularly fun for anyone that's already done Palace since starting at level 1 is so boring.

Edit: If they're going to keep doing the top level decorative earrings like this, they should really be able to go in the Armoire.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly amazed people even bother with WT. I have zero interest in running old extremes unsync'd for a chance at a decent reward.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
This style of Moogle Event will be good to close out the expansion on. Last time was fun to just get a little bit of direction of things to do and it resulted in some more group activity with the FC.

Really they should just update Wondrous Tales and have it be a system like this instead in Dawntrail. An ongoing set of weekly objectives from varying pieces of content would be a nice way to populate areas, queues and etc. And it's exactly the kind of thing people were lamenting we had a lack of due to how the Endwalker Relics worked.

Very curious what they'll put as the "Ultimog" challenge which was ocean fishing last time. That was very successful at finally getting me to level my fisher after three years of playing the game. I suppose they could just repeat it, as there really aren't a ton of other activities in that style that are accessible to players in ARR and don't require a ton of leveling. My thought for a similar thing would be Palace of the Dead. Having the objective be beating the Floor 50 boss would probably be appropriate. Though that wouldn't be particularly fun for anyone that's already done Palace since starting at level 1 is so boring.

Edit: If they're going to keep doing the top level decorative earrings like this, they should really be able to go in the Armoire.

98% sure it will be ocean fishing again

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly amazed people even bother with WT. I have zero interest in running old extremes unsync'd for a chance at a decent reward.

If you get a nice week it can be a few minutes "effort" for some tomes and stuff you might need. The chance at the gold or even silver rewards should just be seen as a nice lottery winning bonus.
WT is also super good if you have jobs to level as it is 50% of a level on hand in which can be super nice for later levels.

Hotbug

Dec 3, 2020
I've always wondered: how hardcore is the Savage raiding scene when it comes to rotation? I naturally try my best to be as close as possible to my ideal rotation, but naturally, mistakes will happen. I used to be huge into raiding in WoW, but in my 8 years playing FFXIV, never got into savage raiding (mostly for fear of the answer to this very question).

I've had a general interest in finding a static, but with the complexity of savage mechanics, I'm not sure I have the brainpower to both remember all of the mechanics AND do my ideal rotation. That seems like a LOT.

P7S was the first time I noticed DPS mattering, because there were situations where only 1 person died the whole fight and we still could not clear. Apparently they reigned boss HP in on the next set (P9-12S), but I still noticed some DPS issues on P10S even in pf groups that could clear Harrowing Hell.

On P7S you needed to switch groups if you did not have the boss to certain % (I think it was 31%?) after a mechanic called Purgation completed. P10S the issue was much more clusters of people dying to mechs, but of course better DPS gives you more leeway with deaths.

However people in pf will not say much about DPS beyond "make sure to pot".

I asked my friend about his static's experience with P7S and he did not even understand DPS was an issue. So statics have much higher standards and are actively using DPS meters all the time.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
Literally whoooo decided to have the StB tribes be literally on opposite sides of the planet to each other. I'm blowing through aetheryte tickets like candy.

Jan 11, 2018
Literally whoooo decided to have the StB tribes be literally on opposite sides of the planet to each other. I'm blowing through aetheryte tickets like candy.

Speaking of which, if you join a couple of hunt trains for pre-ShB content every week you will eventually be able to buy hundreds of those tickets. I got 500+ myself. It's such a nice feeling.

Fireye

Oct 26, 2017
Don't forget to do your BLU weekly carnival targets for easy allied seals, and weekly dungeon/raids if you're up for it. Oh, and weekly hunt targets for ARR, HW and SB, as both Allied and Centurio can be traded for Aetheryte tickets.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Wondrous Tales is really not about doing old ex the conventional way. The way you actually use it is you do some modicum amount of busywork(as in keeping your targets locations in mind and possibly rerolling your stickers) as you do your weekly daily stuff. On top of that you spend like the first 5-6 min of the week checking what ARR extremes you can solo instagib from the book(like most of them literally die in <20 sec if you nuke it right. Titan I think is the only one I don't know a true skip to so it takes like 45-50 seconds).
Between your daily roulettes and soloing anything that is soloable unsynced you're gonna pretty comfortably 7 stickers without going out of your way too much.
The last 2 you might say yes to that frontline or something that is a bit more out of your way like joining a pf for an old ex but you usually can also just say fuck it and reroll on one of the soloable extremes for the price of 1 second chance point each.

It's like mostly a few minutes of extra busywork which is not nothing I def have skipped it at times(especially within all the periods I had gear at a point where I stopped caring about tomes) but it is quite worth it for the effort spend. If you just get a little bit lucky and get a single line that's about the easiest way of effort/reward ratio for 300 capped tomes currently translate that to the effort spend on getting the same amount through roulette or hunt trains it's much less.

Basically if you approach WT as something you do I feel you're kinda creating a chore in your mind that doesn't really has to be that vs when you approach it as something that can almost passively happen through your normal play and like you can take 2 weeks for each book.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is only tangentially related, but Rabbit and Steel a game that is very clearly heavily inspired by FF raiding is coming out on Friday. I tried the demo awhile ago and really liked it. Gonna see if I can get some Static members in there for the co-op.

Even just in the release trailer you can see so many mechanics from various fights. Got your stacks, spreads, and towers, and then even more specific references like the Away with Thee teleports from E7 and Rat Thordan summoning his rat knights.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZfcz9XtYVQ&ab_channel=mino_dev

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
uhh so one of my company hunting logs is to kill something beetles inside wanderers palace and ive run it three times now (and it took forever) and i didnt see a single beetle? and i need to kill six? what am i missing here am i just that stupid

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
uhh so one of my company hunting logs is to kill something beetles inside wanderers palace and ive run it three times now (and it took forever) and i didnt see a single beetle? and i need to kill six? what am i missing here am i just that stupid

I believe they spawn when you open the treasure chests near the entrance.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
Stormblood Dragoon quests I love you. Just me and Estinien adopting a baby dragon together. Honestly wolstinien as a 600k word slowburn friends to lovers fic fits scary well

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
There was an additional trapped chest further in prior to the 2nd dungeon boss (would drop craft materials for the base crafted weapon ARR relics were built on) but I'm not sure if it still spawns the beetles (i.e. patched out the spawn trap component).

Might be something to consider depending how many beetles you need killed.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
There was an additional trapped chest further in prior to the 2nd dungeon boss (would drop craft materials for the base crafted weapon ARR relics were built on) but I'm not sure if it still spawns the beetles (i.e. patched out the spawn trap component).

Might be something to consider depending how many beetles you need killed.
its a shame that i cant do this with npcs and while everybody rushes i need to look for chests just to complete a log... hope people dont get too mad

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
its a shame that i cant do this with npcs and while everybody rushes i need to look for chests just to complete a log... hope people dont get too mad

If you say at the start ppl will likely be chill about it. Aka me asking the tank not to skip the second room in Cutter's Cry for hunting logs and they said… sure.

whiskeystrike

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It would be nice if some of the weekly/one-time tome events are Bozja/Eureka/Criterion related. Would be fun to see a 24 player Delebrum again

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Fierce Tyrant armor set is best PvP armor set.

Yeah you know I wasn't going to get it, but this past PVP season or whatever has been so damn long that I kind of just got it by default with the one PVP a week I was doing. The textures on it look nice, like it got a preview of the texture upgrades? Also, healers don't get badass armor like that too often so it's nice for glamour.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
It is very funny to see people just constantly have the yokai minions out in cities. Currently at 8 weapons. This shit does take a while. Should definitely be done before Dawntrail though.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
This is only tangentially related, but Rabbit and Steel a game that is very clearly heavily inspired by FF raiding is coming out on Friday. I tried the demo awhile ago and really liked it. Gonna see if I can get some Static members in there for the co-op.

Even just in the release trailer you can see so many mechanics from various fights. Got your stacks, spreads, and towers, and then even more specific references like the Away with Thee teleports from E7 and Rat Thordan summoning his rat knights.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZfcz9XtYVQ&ab_channel=mino_dev

Yeah I've been seeing this for a while, it's pretty cool. Might pick it up if any of my friends do.

OskarXCI

Nov 11, 2018
I miss Borderland Ruins (Secure). I wish they would bring it back.

Secure was peak Frontline in the small window that was 4.3-4.56. With the latter patch they added respawn invincibility to every map. While it had little to no impact on the other maps, it very much ruined the intended meta for Secure.

Spawn farming is toxic? Well, it was the entire point of Secure.

Respawn invincibility made point generation lower than intended which in turn made matches take longer to finish. Often they would last the entire match time limit.

Like Astragalos (original Rival Wings map), if they plan bringing it back, they would need to redo the map layout, change the map objectives or both.

GooZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Two weeks till job showcase. I wonder if pictomancer will be the ninja mage class as some speculating to be with the color palette as the ninjutsu.

Jan 11, 2018
Yeah, I'm not finished yet, but I'm getting that vibe. Makes me want to check out other tribe quests.

There is a gatherer tribe in Rak'tika and if you've beaten Endwalker there's a custom delivery NPC in Il Mheg. Both are worth doing for more lore. I'd recommend doing all of the combat, crafter and gatherer tribes in Endwalker if you can. Sadly, Shadowbringers is the odd one out here but every other expansion has a follow-up questline if you complete all of its tribes that's fun. Work your way backwards, slowly but surely and you'll get there. Pre-ShB tribes barely give exp though except the Moogles for crafters in Heavensward (if at the appropriate level).

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
you really have no way to know where a hunt mark is other than using an external site to see spawn points and then just roam around the map going through all of them hoping youre at the right time for a spawn? well i know what i'm never doing ever again

on happier news got my beetles for the hunting log, nobody replied me but i think someone opened chests to spawn them so pretty happy with that!

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
you really have no way to know where a hunt mark is other than using an external site to see spawn points and then just roam around the map going through all of them hoping youre at the right time for a spawn? well i know what i'm never doing ever again
The game gives you an alert when your mark is nearby but that's about it, you're supposed to search for it.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
The game gives you an alert when your mark is nearby but that's about it, you're supposed to search for it.

that wouldnt be as annoying if it wasnt a shared event where someone else can just pop, kill it before you ever realize where it is and you need to wait 4-6 hours for another to appear (according to what i saw at least)

ah well more time to craft stuff for my bird buddies

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I did it yesterday and wondered why I wasted my time with it, I also have all jobs maxed so even less reason to do it.
But I guess I'm like 7 weeks away from having all the achievements about it.
I'm done with all the daily stuff as well, doing my weekly hunt mark and Masked Carnival I got so much Allied Seal I started to build a second stack of tickets and currently own 1550, haha.
Doing the Sightseeing Log 2 weeks ago did burn a lot of them.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
that wouldnt be as annoying if it wasnt a shared event where someone else can just pop, kill it before you ever realize where it is and you need to wait 4-6 hours for another to appear (according to what i saw at least)

It's the MMO part of the game, for A rank and S rank people usually inform others and go in an organized group instead of going at it yourself. In cities some people will shoud if an S rank spawned or there's an A rank train about to go, with when the hunt will start. If you somehow heard that you can go without talking or joining a party and just follow the crowd.

At least that's how it is in JP servers. Dunno about others.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017

If you mean the elite marks from the board they respawn instantly.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Yo, that fish minion in the upcoming Mogtomes cost like 800k on Chaos?!
Kinda insane, you will easily be able to get the 50 tomes required semi-afking 3 hours of Gold Saucer.

Cannon_Fodder

Oct 27, 2017

If you're talking about the hunt marks that you pick up a notice from the hunt boards to go after, they respawn 5 seconds after death, not 4-6 hours. The longer timer is only for rare marks like A rank and S rank, and you don't pick up a hunt bill for those.

Trigger