Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
is this why it takes so long for raids to "end" sometimes? i wasnt doing it because i assumed it woud autopass...

it's absolutely why. I sit my ass down right at the exit and tab out to send a message to anyone playing around like that. Roe so everyone can see me do it too. Music scrolls can be sold at least

MidasTouch

Dec 29, 2023
Is there any reason to do rival wings? Any exclusive rewards compare to like CC
Absolutely. There are 2 mounts, Magitek Avenger and Magitek Avenger A-1, that are only available with 100 Rival Wings victories (one is for 100 wins in general, the other is for 100 wins in the current playable map, Hidden Gorge, so you get both at the same time).

If you haven't gotten the Ginga or Raigo GARO mount from Frontlines or CC victories, Rival Wings contributes to both.

It's often the fastest way to farm Moogletomes of available duties without subjecting yourself to repeating the same dungeon or raid mindlessly with no benefit beyond the tomestones. It provides weekly tomestones and uncapped tomestones with each match. It provides decent job EXP on a more consistent basis than Frontlines, which only gives you a significant boon once per day.

Lastly, there are two awesome as heck (and rare) titles for 1,000 matches and 1,000 wins, Wings of Steel and Wings of Fire, respectively.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
www.twitch.tv

CDawgVA - Twitch

IT'S TIME!!! FF14 WITH/ @premiertwo @ironmouse | !backseating

connor of trashtaste has started playing

Sorry to quote again, but I will say... Stream turned out way better than I expected. He actually said he liked it. Obviously he did skip things here and there, but honestly what made it not annoying is that he was clearly still having fun, albeit yeah, some of ARR is rooooooooooooooooooooooooooough lol

Also his dynamic with Iron Mouse and Pete for the stream was really great too. So if he plays more (which IIRC won't be for awhile due to stuff he is doing), I hope it's all 3 of them again.

N_Cryo

Avenger
Nov 6, 2017
west coast
Is there any reason to do rival wings? Any exclusive rewards compare to like CC
It's usually active around mogtomes events so it's like the only time when queues are happening. Ive gotten both mounts from it. Also the game mode itself is pretty fun. You can ride all the Alexander mechs such as brute justice and just rocket fist enemy players for big damage.

MidasTouch

Dec 29, 2023
It's usually active around mogtomes events so it's like the only time when queues are happening. Ive gotten both mounts from it. Also the game mode itself is pretty fun. You can ride all the Alexander mechs such as brute justice and just rocket fist enemy players for big damage.
Definitely. RW is one of the most underrated pieces of content in the game and is secretly more fun than most of it, too. But I'm an evangelist.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
I was like "oh I should main a melee job bc that's so obviously what the game intends" but I think the WoL beating Zenos to death with a book would be hilarious actually. nerd rage.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty happy with DRK at the moment, what would you change? All I can really think of is low level adjustments so syncing down isn't as annoying. Even just having Oblation early on would be nice.
Bloodspiller spam isn't fun in the same way fell cleave's animation is, which kinda defeats the point of making it spammable. It's clearly there because of warrior but doesn't do much with it to make it their own.

Alot of DRK's "dark magic" doesn't really feel like what it's propped up as lorewise. I miss how old DRK tied into it more, it feels more flash than substance now. There's none of that "Flame in the Abyss" theme, Living Dead is the only thing that really feels like what DRK's magic and powers in the story are; something dangerous, destructive, and monstrous. Instead you're just swinging around dark effects. Stuff like Blood Price that gives you MP on being hit, Sole Survivor which placed a timed mark on an enemy to gain HP and MP on death, the old Darkside draining MP over time, etc. Stuff that actually felt a bit more "dark" to use, and wasn't just black and purple effects. I don't necessarily want any of the old DRK versions back or to have those skills back specifically, but moreso to re-examine "what is Dark Knight?" from the perspective of how the lore portrays dark knights. People joke about it being edgy but it really isn't that much anymore, lmao.

There's also just, not enough interesting going on with the rotation. You just do 123 and then blow cooldowns on bursts.

Stryda

Aug 20, 2018
Bloodspiller spam isn't fun in the same way fell cleave's animation is, which kinda defeats the point of making it spammable. It's clearly there because of warrior but doesn't do much with it to make it their own.

Alot of DRK's "dark magic" doesn't really feel like what it's propped up as lorewise. I miss how old DRK tied into it more, it feels more flash than substance now. There's none of that "Flame in the Abyss" theme, Living Dead is the only thing that really feels like what DRK's magic and powers in the story are; something dangerous, destructive, and monstrous. Instead you're just swinging around dark effects. Stuff like Blood Price that gives you MP on being hit, Sole Survivor which placed a timed mark on an enemy to gain HP and MP on death, the old Darkside draining MP over time, etc. Stuff that actually felt a bit more "dark" to use, and wasn't just black and purple effects. I don't necessarily want any of the old DRK versions back or to have those skills back specifically, but moreso to re-examine "what is Dark Knight?" from the perspective of how the lore portrays dark knights. People joke about it being edgy but it really isn't that much anymore, lmao.

There's also just, not enough interesting going on with the rotation. You just do 123 and then blow cooldowns on bursts.
The skill datamines about this are interesting

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
Got a dragoon lore q. Estinien says at the end of the StB quests that he can tap into the power of the dragon within without losing control and that I can do it too. Cool. Uhhh how come being overcome by dragon power is never mentioned anywhere else as a risk? Also as it is something I simply cba to deal with is it reasonable to assume the blessing of light protects me from it or something?

Fireye

Oct 26, 2017
Got a dragoon lore q. Estinien says at the end of the StB quests that he can tap into the power of the dragon within without losing control and that I can do it too. Cool. Uhhh how come being overcome by dragon power is never mentioned anywhere else as a risk? Also as it is something I simply cba to deal with is it reasonable to assume the blessing of light protects me from it or something?

I don't have absolute answers, but I think In Heavensward there are heretics that consume dragons blood and transform into Dragonkin. There's a touching story of one of them in the Firmament trying to reconnect with his family. I would imagine that your blessing protects you, but there's some other ways to gain protection too, such as the original Knights who gained powers.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017

WoL is just a super cool Chad/Chadette at every job so the negatives never apply to them. They never lose themselves to the inner beast as WAR, never succumb to the abyss as DRK, never cause unintended destruction as BLM. Can head canon it as either being blessing of light protection or just being a savant at whatever combat role you choose. And I think Estinien has already fallen to the dragon power thing twice before (I can't remember the end of the ARR DRG stuff, but he seemed pretty not in control during the end stuff) so we've seen the effects of losing control before.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I only just bothered watching the Dawntrail trailer, wtf is that atrocious music? Did Soken really make that? Sounds like a youtube compilation where someone's stuck their own shitty music over the top, the trailer as whole isn't as good as previous ones honestly

I haven't really played Endwalker much since about the second patch for various reasons so probably about time to start catching up

Jan 11, 2018
I'm not a big fan of the main theme either. It sounds more like something he wrote for the Primals to perform to then be re-arranged as a leitmotif in the game than the other way around. Tomorrow and Tomorrow remains my favourite vocal piece by Soken, followed by My Star (FFXVI).

PolygonFlux

Jan 1, 2018
Yeah, not massively keen on the Dawntrail theme either. My favourite is the Endwalker theme, but I am a big fan of Architects. I watched the trailer so many times.

I'm coming to the end of the post-Endwalker patch stories now and I'll be sad once it's ended. I've not long to wait for a continuation of the story at least!

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
The Dawntrail theme is good, it's appropriately a beach vacation vibe song.

The Amanda Achen section of the opening will likely be the main leitmotif for the more serious/solution 9 parts of the game.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
Okay I have a new wol concept. Unfortunately it's a BLM which means I'm going to have to learn to play it. From what I can tell the hardest part is being stuck still and the actual rotation is pretty simple?

Also ranking the main theme of each expac:

Endwalker - Footfalls (legit gets me tearing up if I'm already in that kind of mood) > Dragonsong = Shadowbringers (RIDING HOOOOOOME) > Answers = Revolutions > Dawntrail

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
i think its time i start playinig it tonight, any tips or info i should know beforehand?

The thread for the Xbox version covers a lot of the basics as well as has links to other in depth guides, just skip past the initial stuff about starting the beta since that's not relevant anymore/might not even be for your hardware.
It will also be a good place to discuss things and avoid some open spoilers that are in this thread.

www.resetera.com

Final Fantasy XIV Xbox Launch |OT| It's time for Xbox to join the adventure! Microsoft - Square Enix - OT

Beta Release Date: Feb. 21st, 2024 - 8:00 (GMT) / 19:00 (AEDT) Full Release: March 22, 2024 Platforms: Xbox Series S|X *NOTE: The Beta is only for New Players (You'll need to wait for the official release to bring your character over from another version) **The Full Version on Xbox will require...

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, not massively keen on the Dawntrail theme either. My favourite is the Endwalker theme, but I am a big fan of Architects. I watched the trailer so many times.

It's the worst expansion theme. I'm not a fan of The Primals and I hate when Koji does vocals. I'm not really a fan of Amanda Achen, either. I don't like the way she sings. You can't understand a thing she says.

PolygonFlux

Jan 1, 2018
It's the worst expansion theme. I'm not a fan of The Primals and I hate when Koji does vocals. I'm not really a fan of Amanda Achen, either. I don't like the way she sings. You can't understand a thing she says.
For me, it's Koji's heavily synthesized vocals that bring it down.

I'd have to disagree on Amanda Achen. I think she has a stunning voice! Her cover of Dragonsong is great.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I think the Dawntrail theme is interesting and different but I def was surprised that they did not switch out the vocals I thought those were placeholder like how it was for the first Shadowbringer trailer and the theme there still working with placeholder vocals.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
For me, it's Koji's heavily synthesized vocals that bring it down.

I'd have to disagree on Amanda Achen. I think she has a stunning voice! Her cover of Dragonsong is great.

I definitely was expecting a bigger upgrade in the vocals between the teaser trailers and the full trailer, like we got with Shadowbringers and Endwalker. They did enhance them, but it's still just the Primals doing it... and there's this weird dissonant shouty thing going on in the final version that isn't very appealing.

That said, I like the tune itself.

Jan 11, 2018
Amanda is the best vocalist to ever have sung a FF vocal theme, followed by Angela Aki. The Primals on the other hand do nothing for me. Give me The Black Mages instead.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Amanda is the best vocalist to ever have sung a FF vocal theme, followed by Angela Aki. The Primals on the other hand do nothing for me. Give me The Black Mages instead.

This Faye Wong slander.

But I do love Amanda, I was sitting in about the 5th row right in the middle for the piano concert at the last fanfest and she absolutely blew me away. I had never seen a singer that good in person before, it was an eye opening experience.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
The vocals aren't great imo. I like the song but not The Primals vocals. I can't help but wonder how much better it would be with someone else.

Also, count me as someone who cannot understand Amanda Achen half the time. I don't know if it's the mixing or what. The band version of Flow is easily one of the most incomprehensible songs I've ever heard and it's not even trying to be like Under the Weight.

Last edited:

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Also, count me as someone who cannot understand Amanda Achen half the time. I don't know if it's the mixing or what. The band version of Flow is easily one of the most incomprehensible songs I've ever heard and it's not even trying to be like Under the Weight.

I wouldn't have any idea what she was saying in Flow without the lyrics.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
I'm surprised to hear so many of you having trouble understanding Achen's lyrics. I'm someone who 90% of the time can't understand most lyrics in music, but have absolutely no trouble understanding what she's saying, whether it be Tomorrow and Tomorrow or Flow.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised to hear so many of you having trouble understanding Achen's lyrics. I'm someone who 90% of the time can't understand most lyrics in music, but have absolutely no trouble understanding what she's saying, whether it be Tomorrow and Tomorrow or Flow.
I'm with you. Achen's voice, pronunciation, and inflection are on point, and I understand the lyrics in every version of those tracks perfectly.

ChimeraTech

Apr 7, 2022
I think the Dawntrail theme is interesting and different but I def was surprised that they did not switch out the vocals I thought those were placeholder like how it was for the first Shadowbringer trailer and the theme there still working with placeholder vocals.

They did, though. You can hear the difference in vocals from the initial teaser to the recent full trailer.

Listen to the first 10 seconds in each.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onGE1-I2T6Y

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgiuQwzB6aU

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
They did, though. You can hear the difference in vocals from the initial teaser to the recent full trailer.

Listen to the first 10 seconds in each.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onGE1-I2T6Y

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgiuQwzB6aU

Maybe I'm wrong but to me it sounds like the same voice the mixing is just different.
I guess I should have made it clearer that I meant changing the vocal performance. I didn't expect them to stick with the voice they were using.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sgtpAo71dU
I think it's Koji's transformed voice in both? *shrug*

Hope more people are gonna cover the song over time didn't seem to catch the interest of too many singers as of now as far as I could tell.
---------
Put me on the list of I don't really struggle to parse Amanda's singing.

Last edited:

Astral

Oct 27, 2017

I'm with you. Achen's voice, pronunciation, and inflection are on point, and I understand the lyrics in every version of those tracks perfectly.
For me it's mostly the band version of Flow and now the new one. But the new one might be because of the sound effects from the trailer. I have to try hard to hear what she's saying. Flow (Band) felt impossible without the lyrics.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
The vocals aren't great imo. I like the song but not The Primals vocals. I can't help but wonder how much better it would be with someone else.

The band version of flow at least was an earlier recording or take that they liked so just threw some instruments into to use.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Aaalmost caught up with the MSQ, just wrapped up 6.5, so just 6.55 left! Was so so over the moon when Gaia showed up, wasn't expecting that at all. 😭

(I hope they eventually make Eden required so they can make Ryne and Gaia both more involved in the MSQ should we return to the First again.)

Another surprise for me was Golbez showing up to help fight against Zeromus after the trial. I don't know if that was expected cause I haven't played IV yet, but I certainly didn't expect it just from the story here. I'm glad though! Cause I've dug Golbez since Dissidia, his design is sick, and his voice is cool, and it's simply nice that he and Zero get to work together to try and fix the Thirteenth! When they were confronting him again earlier, I kept thinking how he should actually stop fighting us and help us since we have a very good solution to the whole world-submerged-in-Darkness problem... and he actually listened! So glad, lol.

Oh and then Zero went from RPR to PLD... I already knew this was coming and I was dreading it and I'm still mostly bummed about it cause RPRs are so cool and she was so awesome as a RPR and... *groans* I get it. It's like the Cecil DRK to PLD switch thing, right? Fine. Still disappointing though. 😭

All that aside though, really enjoyed the end to the whole Thirteenth story. Love the hopeful stuff and I'm excited for the possibility that both the Thirteenth and First will both get better. Was a lovely reminder of how I love XIV and its story so much. ♥

PolygonFlux

Jan 1, 2018
Just reached 'The Abyssal Fracture' in 6.5 and my god, the theme is an absolute banger. I just sat there before the trial listening to the music. I love this game so damn much.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Amanda Achen sounds great live

Sound mixing is just shit on the recorded songs

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
I leveled BLM to 70 and found it to be fairly complicated.

Now NIN is at 60 and it makes it look casual. At least with BLM you don't get punished if you do the wrong combo, though I'm getting much better.

But there are just so many abilities. Hide is useless during combat, but it resets my Utsusemi uses.

It's a little better now that I have the ability from 60 that gives me my attack speed buff without consuming charges, and then I keep it up with Armor Smash.

I feel bad at how terrible I am sometimes. Failed to a boss over and over earlier, and then the tank left. Did it on the first attempt with the new tank. So I dunno if it was all me.

Wish there were quests to unlock additional bag space. I know retainers exist but the trial doesn't allow them. I have so much bad ass armor I wish I could just get out of my inventory.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Wish there were quests to unlock additional bag space. I know retainers exist but the trial doesn't allow them. I have so much bad ass armor I wish I could just get out of my inventory.
Are you using the Armory Chest and Chocobo saddlebag? You shouldn't have that much gear on you, the stuff you keep just for the look should go in the Glamour Dresser.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
Oh ok, do you right click to turn it into a glamour? My saddle bags are full of blue DRG stuff.
You'll want to head to your inn room (any will do) there will be 2 cabinets, a Armory Chest which can house ARR Artifact/Class armor and seasonal event gear, as well as dev approved gear (typically cash shop gear).

The other cabinet is your glamour dresser with a 400 item storage capacity, this allows you set up visual pre-sets/gear sets on glamour plates which can be applied while in any settlement that gives you a rested EXP bonus (denoted by a crescent moon icon on your EXP bar). These are typically the big hub cities and outposts that have a warp crystal.

However to transfer any gear for use with the glamour dresser you'll need glamour prisms, as you use up a prism to store a piece of gear into your dresser. Once a piece of gear is in your dresser you can edit your glamour plates with said gear and you can also dye the base item/gear in your dresser while it is stored in there, or you can opt to dye it a color on the plate itself but in either case you will need the corresponding dye to do so.

It is recommended if you enjoy a particular color of dye you dye the item itself (via the gear type overview window in the dresser and right clicking the item prior to assigning the gear to a plate). Because if you dye it via the plate the dye is only temporary (until the plate or dye is edited).

But do be advised any class restrictions on gear will still take effect meaning any DRG specific portions of a glamour plate will not display on other Jobs/classes.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Oh ok, do you right click to turn it into a glamour? My saddle bags are full of blue DRG stuff.
You have to go to the glamour dresser at any inn to store them there. Otherwise you are just changing the look of an item with another item but nothing moves around inventory-wise. Also need glamour prisms to do so. If you haven't ranked up a GC yet to buy them with seals, you can craft them with clear prisms you can buy in Vesper Bay.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I leveled BLM to 70 and found it to be fairly complicated.

Now NIN is at 60 and it makes it look casual. At least with BLM you don't get punished if you do the wrong combo, though I'm getting much better.

But there are just so many abilities. Hide is useless during combat, but it resets my Utsusemi uses.

It's a little better now that I have the ability from 60 that gives me my attack speed buff without consuming charges, and then I keep it up with Armor Smash.

I feel bad at how terrible I am sometimes. Failed to a boss over and over earlier, and then the tank left. Did it on the first attempt with the new tank. So I dunno if it was all me.

wish my inventory problems were due to equipments, i'm carrying around ingredients on both saddlebags and i still need to drop some/travel when i want to craft something to buy some half of the time

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
I still need to slay the true final boss of the expansion, my cluttered inventory. Gonna happen before DT though