pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
My main jobs are WAR and WHM, but it kind of feels like a waste to do MSQ on those when that free exp could be going to a dps. I'm going to level at least 5 just for the role quests anyway so trying to decide what my Dawntrail MSQ job will be.

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone else completely incapable of choosing a "main" job. All of them have things I don't like about them.

Start with the role you want to main. Tank, Healer, DPS - DPS you could look between what you want to do. Melee? Ranged? Magic? Physical? Those sort of things.

For me, probably going to go BLM because I've never mained it before and now that you can move lines, I think it's time to give it a go.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone else completely incapable of choosing a "main" job. All of them have things I don't like about them.

I have jobs I really like and play more than others (AST is my "main" for the most part, and DNC, RDM, SGE, MNK and GNB are my usual go tos as well) but I need to not be playing the same job all the time or I can get burned out, especially if it (or any of my other favs) are going through a rough launch patch. I also like SCH and SMN and DRG and a few others even if I don't play them as much. In ShB I played RDM a ton in Bozja and cleared DRS on it for example and I only finished the EW relic for it last month due to not using it very much, so I can go through streaks depending on the content.

Basically if I have bothered to not be lazy with my profile pic on the class I am currently on and made it look nice I have played it enough to not feel bad

Last edited:

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Does the Fall Guys event feel even worse now? Like, I knew there was a complete disconnect in timing on all the obstacles and things just because of the way this games netcode works but it feels eeeeeeeeeeever wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooorse now. I am NOT getting that title.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not worried about queue times for running a new job because I'll just use trusts first time though, only the trials will make me wait.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
I mean in terms of aesthetics and gameplay it's summoner but like… the game so clearly wants the WoL to be a tank/melee that it actively breaks the class fantasy for me lol

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
I expected long dungeon and trial queues in Endwalker as DPS, but I remember every single time it would estimate like 20-30+ minutes and then pop a few seconds later so I dunno what was going on there.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I may change to Viper for the MSQ. I don't know. I've been playing Ninja since 4.1 and I'm ready for a change. I don't think I'll be in any real hurry to start the MSQ. Other than seeing what kind of ass pull they come up with to explain what's going on with Solution Nine, I really don't have any interest in the story. After Endwalker, I have no faith in the writing team anymore.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Lol I meant story-wise.
I feel it was just the Zenos fights where it felt a little weird to walk into it as a healer.

My headcanon has always been my WoL is SCH/RDM/DRK though, so even if I can't in game, I swap between those styles in fights like the ShB opening. SCH is just the main so personal + fairy healing makes her able to push far beyond normal limits. DRK works thematically since it's a magic focused tank, so overall I'm still a mage with some melee techniques when needed.

RDM will evolve into Pictomancer techniques with Dawntrail.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
I feel it was just the Zenos fights where it felt a little weird to walk into it as a healer.

My headcanon has always been my WoL is SCH/RDM/DRK though, so even if I can't in game, I swap between those styles in fights like the ShB opening. SCH is just the main so personal + fairy healing makes her able to push far beyond normal limits. DRK works thematically since it's a magic focused tank, so overall I'm still a mage with some melee techniques when needed.

I mean I do kind of headcanon her using Ruin like Wanda's powers in the MCU. But it's more that everyone's like oh you're such a big buff stupid sellsword meanwhile she's here in a backless evening dress with her grimoire out like 👁️ 👄 👁️ excuse me. Yes I am aware I am deeply overthinking this but I have OC brainworms. Will stick with goth reaper WoL for now since I'm not horrible at it unlike every other melee job rip.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
AST main main. by extension DRG and RDM main as well.

I wanna try out more jobs, I haven't even tried MNK/NIN/SAM. But hoping to make PCT a main.

I don't like tanking at all. ._. Tankxiety is real.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I do kind of headcanon her using Ruin like Wanda's powers in the MCU. But it's more that everyone's like oh you're such a big buff stupid sellsword meanwhile she's here in a backless evening dress with her grimoire out like 👁️ 👄 👁️ excuse me. Yes I am aware I am deeply overthinking this but I have OC brainworms. Will stick with goth reaper WoL for now since I'm not horrible at it unlike every other melee job rip.

No, I get what you're saying. It definitely happens, playing through the MNK quests as a SCH is funny.
But maybe I wasn't thinking about it too much, but I don't remember too many MSQ situations where I felt a disconnect.

I do think they can be better at integrating in our job choices though, I remember one moment in ShB when Urianger was explaining something and it gave me a chance to say "you remember I'm a scholar, right?"(and he gave a snarky "oh do you want to explain it then?") It was great and I want more of that.

MrLandmaster

Jan 21, 2018
All the jobs are great, but I once I discovered the way of the gun I never looked back. Machinist has everything I ever wanted.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
i just use bard and ninja

everything else feels too much effort - too much big brained to me

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
i just use bard and ninja

everything else feels too much effort - too much big brained to me
How difficult is Bard's rotation? I know everyone says Summoner is the easiest job on the planet but i have a kid who the job just isn't clicking with rotation/phase wise and is looking for something a bit more manageable and maybe it's because he used my level 80 summoner but i tried explaining it to him (to be fair i suck at explaining things) and he just couldn't get it to click or didn't vibe with it.

I only know how to play WHM/SMN so i got nothing for him lol. I main a hunter in WOW so i def get where the kid is coming from it took me a long time for SMN to click with me and then they go and change the whole pet system which fucked me for a good long while.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
When I boot up the benchmark again and see no shimmering whatsoever, I need Dawntrail to release now lmao, such a huge game changer for me.
Just only 5 weeks left now ! And next week we will have the updated benchmark to play around with.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
How difficult is Bard's rotation? I know everyone says Summoner is the easiest job on the planet but i have a kid who the job just isn't clicking with rotation/phase wise and is looking for something a bit more manageable and maybe it's because he used my level 80 summoner but i tried explaining it to him (to be fair i suck at explaining things) and he just couldn't get it to click or didn't vibe with it.

I only know how to play WHM/SMN so i got nothing for him lol. I main a hunter in WOW so i def get where the kid is coming from it took me a long time for SMN to click with me and then they go and change the whole pet system which fucked me for a good long while.

i'm nowhere near end of content (i'm like 55ish) and didnt even finish ARR yet (think i'm close tho) haha i'm not the best person to ask
i just like shooting arrows and singing

Dougieflesh

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Milky Way Ghetto

I would say that Bard is up there in difficulty if you're trying to be above average at the job. It's definitely the most difficult to play out of the physical ranged dps. It's current setup with being unable to cycle your songs if there is any sort of downtime (this issue is fixed in Dawntrail) can really get your dps off track. On top of it also having DoTs and procs to manage can make it an overwhelming job.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017

The Zenos kinda supported my headcanon when my WHM started just punching the guy. Just because you're a healer doesn't mean you can't throw hands. Just ask Denken.

View: https://youtu.be/krHmLytCdj0?si=pEfxiewpwaNWEHIF

Also I wish I had a main. My "main" is WHM mostly because I like the aesthetic the most, but healing is so easy imo that it never really feels worthy of calling it a main. I'm just using Glare. I don't know, I every job is fun but I don't think I've ever had a moment where I thought "oh yeah this is the one." Literally nothing will make me drop WHM.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
DRK always and forever. I'll try Viper as I'm a sucker for any job with swords but Dark Knight fits me like a glove.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
The Zenos kinda supported my headcanon when my WHM started just punching the guy. Just because you're a healer doesn't mean you can't throw hands. Just ask Denken.

View: https://youtu.be/krHmLytCdj0?si=pEfxiewpwaNWEHIF

Also I wish I had a main. My "main" is WHM mostly because I like the aesthetic the most, but healing is so easy imo that it never really feels worthy of calling it a main. I'm just using Glare. I don't know, I every job is fun but I don't think I've ever had a moment where I thought "oh yeah this is the one." Literally nothing will make me drop WHM.

It's a lot like a fighting game to me, SCH is my main because I've played it the most and will default to it more often, but I always have one or two subs for variety. Pictomancer may end up replacing it since it's always been my most wanted job, but we'll see how it feels.

Hell, maybe I should look at it like a 3v3 game, all three are part of my main team.

Also for headcanon I'm glad Pictomancer is also playing with light and dark magic, since balancing that between SCH/DRK with RDM in the middle was part of my theme. I wonder if that's gonna be a mainstay of Pictomancer in the series going forward since it did that in Bravely Default 2 as well.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017

No I get what you are saying, when you get immersed and the game does such a good job 95% of the time that remaining 5% can be super jarring. To be fair though healers get some really spikey looking rings and I did not take mine off for "that" at the end of 6.0. Plus as some job quests like SGE and WHM stuff shows healer jobs can be quite destructive in their spare time.

I think the weirdest looking time was actually the Lyse quick CS at Rhagar's Reach because that was clearly designed for trading punches, but most of the time it's not too bad.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
No I get what you are saying, when you get immersed and the game does such a good job 95% of the time that remaining 5% can be super jarring. To be fair though healers get some really spikey looking rings and I did not take mine off for "that" at the end of 6.0. Plus as some job quests like SGE and WHM stuff shows healer jobs can be quite destructive in their spare time.

I think the weirdest looking time was actually the Lyse quick CS at Rhagar's Reach because that was clearly designed for trading punches, but most of the time it's not too bad.
Trading punches? Weird. In my game they kissed.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017

I admittedly don't have the context of most melee jobs at a high level, but I think it'll be hard to find a more "manageable" DPS job than SMN. I guess it depends a little by what you mean by "manageable" but it's one of the most straight forward jobs.

Like they could try RDM (but I'm biased as I main that) or DNC, but if they don't like dealing with their procs then those might not work for them. And bard is even more proc-heavy (I find it kinda overwhelming) so that would disqualify it if that's the case.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't get easier than summoner in this game given you just press the legos in order and phoenix and bahamut every minute it fits easy into a sequence.
But that is assuming manageable means ease of use. Like is it certain that the job isn't maybe clicking cause they're just bored of it or don't like the aesthetic any other reasons.

The only job that is arguably easier than smn is a healer like white mage assuming they don't wanna raid anything above normal.

j81ZMSU.png

Lego can be in any order

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be experiencing Dawntrail's MSQ in the most unexciting way possible; I'll be rocking the Machinist, which has basically been the ONLY job on my WOL that's seen MSQ content since Stormblood. I don't know why, but the idea of a three foot tall cowboy strutting in to consistently fuck up everyone's day never gets old. After that, Gunbreaker, Bard and Viper/Ninja are all on the table to farm my roulettes and get the biggest bang for my buck on Tomestones in the launch window.

Re: Expansion starting level - We're over a decade into a game where nearly all of the class design is built around fitting into a two minute rotation. I don't want to have that gradual, leisurely on-boarding experience with a job's mechanics to emulate the 1-100 experience. I just need to know if I like the core one minute rotation to start putting time on it right now, and I can usually figure that out on a target dummy in ten minutes as things are now (Vs. spending an hour or more grinding my character up to 50 inside the accelerated Deep Dungeon leveling track, which doesn't give you much time to mess with the actual rotation outside of the boss).

Bard's rotation has a lot of spinning plates, honestly. It has a super simple filler rotation; hit Heavy Shot, react to Straight shot procs, and don't let your Bloodletter/Rain of Arrows/Soul Voice gauge overcap. The wrinkle is that while you're doing that, you're also juggling two damage over time debuffs and having to refresh them right before they expire with Iron Jaws, while also tracking and interacting with three songs that require varying degrees of attention to get the most out of them and (Eventually) having to make sure you cycle them in a certain way to get the biggest damage bonus for their Radiant Finale party buff. It's probably the most involved of the ranged DPS classes.

If you're looking for easy, your best ranged DPS option is Machinist. It trades the procs and buff tracking for a simple 1-2-3 combo that will be broken up by hitting buttons like Drill, Air Anchor and Chainsaw as they come off cooldown, spending your Heat Gauge on rapid-fire burst windows that feels great to engage with and features a very lenient window to avoid overcapping that resource, and summoning a robot with the other gauge that also has a big, lenient window that you can delay (Or forget about) occasionally without completely screwing your personal damage. You'll still have to avoid overcapping Gauss Round/Ricochet casts (Same thing as Bloodletter/Rain of Arrows) and there's a tiny bit of nuance in when you want to hit your Hypercharge (Heat Spender) windows, but it's probably the second easiest class behind Summoner.

Last edited:

NoalleGospell

Dec 3, 2018
Puerto Rico
It doesn't get easier than summoner in this game given you just press the legos in order and phoenix and bahamut every minute it fits easy into a sequence.
But that is assuming manageable means ease of use. Like is it certain that the job isn't maybe clicking cause they're just bored of it or don't like the aesthetic any other reasons.

The only job that is arguably easier than smn is a healer like white mage assuming they don't wanna raid anything above normal.

j81ZMSU.png

Lego can be in any order
And in Dawntrail

7.0_summoner.png

Exciting! /s

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
RDM's been my most-beloved and MSQ job since it dropped in Stormblood, and Picto ain't changing that (though I will play it too).

Kicking myself for not making story glams before Endwalker, but I had so much fun with it that I'm doing it again for Dawntrail. The Shadowbringers Artifact gear gives some pretty obvious pieces for that initial boat-ride and city, it's very nautical in theme.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
4zihGL6.jpg
I know this content is old news to a lot of you but I finally crossed DRS off my bucket list last night! Found a planned run on another data center where the people running it absolutely melted everything - I'll admit, we were carried by absolute pros. Think it was my fifth attempt overall. Though I'd like to clear it a few more times before DT in order to get some of those juicy judge glamour pieces. Kinda want some of the Casting set as glamour for Picto, but I'll hold off on turning in any of the gear tokens until I can see how the two dye channels affects all the sets. Anyways, this was also important to me because I want to make sure I have every Voidsent mount and minion they release.

Gods, I'm so excited for the BA/DRS of Dawntrail. I fully intend to learn and prog the content while it's new this time around. Seriously some of the coolest group content in the game.
DRK always and forever. I'll try Viper as I'm a sucker for any job with swords but Dark Knight fits me like a glove.
🤜🤛
Right there with you.
Though I've embraced Reaper as my main outlet for unleashing havoc, I'll always come home to DRK. I'll be donning my Greatsword to experience the DT story for sure.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I just meant that the picture itself is ???ing at the quote about feedback while ignoring the "improving ease of use" in the same line.
Oh but if you're basing it on that doesn't that mean anything you add automatically decreases ease of use?
Like personally I don't view it like that. Non of the things being cited there depending on implementation would make it harder.
For example worst case example is adding Ramuh/Shiva/Levi you can just put them in after Phoenix replacing the second round of garu/titan/ifrit job essentially stays the same.

The one part that I guess you can make a case for is the bit about "more engaging rotation" based on how most people mean that yeah would mean most likely less easy to use. But for the rest imo it really depends on how it's done.

Last edited:

r_rose

Mar 1, 2022
Also count me among those who never really had a main. There are jobs I really don't like but no one job that I absolutely love over the others.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
I do think they can be better at integrating in our job choices though, I remember one moment in ShB when Urianger was explaining something and it gave me a chance to say "you remember I'm a scholar, right?"(and he gave a snarky "oh do you want to explain it then?") It was great and I want more of that.

I know they don't add tons of flavor in large part because it's so easy to change jobs or down fantastia, but one of my favorite moments
was in Elpis when you get the race-specific dialogue after being "prepared" for Elpis by Emet. Hythlo said something like "kinda big, no?" and I could just feel my Roe smirking through the screen. I think Hythlo also low-key roasted Emet when a friend of mine was playing Lala but I don't remember

It can add a lot to the moment and it's almost always fun to see. I wish I was better at keeping track of it all.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
The 23 hour time limit on saving Macros and HUD Layout is so fucking stupid.
Now I have to spend 20 minutes typing out these dumbass macros on the PS5 instead of creating them on PC and copying them over.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
Very important question: do the Thornmarch weapons squeak when you unsheathe them in cutscenes. I want to know if I can completely butcher Serious Moments with my squeaky moogle axe.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I know they don't add tons of flavor in large part because it's so easy to change jobs or down fantastia, but one of my favorite moments
was in Elpis when you get the race-specific dialogue after being "prepared" for Elpis by Emet. Hythlo said something like "kinda big, no?" and I could just feel my Roe smirking through the screen. I think Hythlo also low-key roasted Emet when a friend of mine was playing Lala but I don't remember

It can add a lot to the moment and it's almost always fun to see. I wish I was better at keeping track of it all.

Yep! There is quite a bit of lala specific dialogue that stands out in Shadowbringers and Endwalker. The one you mentioned being one of those scenes with it.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I've always been a DRK main, to the point of being a DRK onetrick in raids, lmao. Put me in anything else and I'll do worse. Well, I could just be placed on PLD but that's also cause PLD is incredibly easy.

After trying to go through Endwalker MSQ on Reaper, I'm definitely sticking with mainlining DRK through all MSQ, there's nothing more thematical to my character.