Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
Now that I'm done with MSQs, I wanted to add my two cents about Zenos and Fandaniel…
Looks and VA aside, they're extremely uninspired shounen characters. Coming hot off the heels of Emet-Selch and Elidibus who had relatively more complex motives than the average FF villain, "I kill for the lols/hunt" and "I want everything dead because" feel a bit jarring. That said, EW has ample opportunity to flesh them out in a non-shounen manner, but we'll see. Perhaps lean into Yaoi? Idk lol

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
Now that I'm done with MSQs, I wanted to add my two cents about Zenos and Fandaniel…
Looks and VA aside, they're extremely uninspired shounen characters. Coming hot off the heels of Emet-Selch and Elidibus who had relatively more complex motives than the average FF villain, "I kill for the lols/hunt" and "I want everything dead because" feel a bit jarring. That said, EW has ample opportunity to flesh them out in a non-shounen manner, but we'll see. Perhaps lean into Yaoi? Idk lol

That's concerned me too, but I'll just trust Ishikawa for now.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Moved house and didn't realise they took 2 weeks to transfer the internet in the UK so going to miss the early access lol

Truno

Jan 16, 2020
5vx1di.jpg

😭😭

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Oh shit I wasn't expecting to get the shark mount at all. A lucky triple spectral current, and a team that hard carried me for all the bonuses, allowed me to scrap through just the 10k points lol.

Papatulus

Sep 27, 2021
It's really wild that a game can almost flat out have the main characters say "We get it, but you're still in the wrong and have to die" on multiple occasions and people will still think the writers wanted you to think the villains are good people or that they were sayin genocide is OK. Giving context isn't justifying... it is just context.
I would heartily recommend playing the sorrows of werlyt questline then because the writers absolutely do do that lmao

Tyrius_Wolfe

Mar 1, 2021
I would heartily recommend playing the sorrows of werlyt questline then because the writers absolutely do do that lmao

The villains in Sorrow of Werlyt are sympathetic,
especially since it seems like they're being manipulated into doing what they're doing, but you still aren't supposed to feel remorse when you beat them. I mean their dad is helping you and doesn't get upset with you when you kill them because he understands they need to be stopped

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have good catchup videos for shb patches? Meant to ng+ them before ew, but looks like I won't have the time to do it.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
Here for my monthly reminder that the friends system in this game is completely fucked and fixing it should be prioritized.

I shouldn't have to stop playing or switch DCs because someone I don't wanna play with (and have already deleted off my list) is online.

If 6.0 doesn't fix this, I hope to god they fix it before they implement Cross-DC traveling.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
It's really wild that a game can almost flat out have the main characters say "We get it, but you're still in the wrong and have to die" on multiple occasions and people will still think the writers wanted you to think the villains are good people or that they were sayin genocide is OK. Giving context isn't justifying... it is just context.

This does make me think of something - it might feel like a minor thing, but something that would go a long way towards making me not feel like the writers tend to do that is just having a wider variety of dialogue options for the WoL in conversations about villains.

Like I would say that usually the reason I've come away feeling like the writers wanted me to feel something weird for the villains isn't just because of giving context to their background. It's the combination of that and that the only possible responses to situations I could pick from were expressing sympathy for them, or at least that I canonically had to give them/the beliefs that motivated them more respect than I felt they deserved, that kind of thing.

EDIT: what the hell did autocorrect + my lagging phone do to this post without me realizing, lmao

Last edited:

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
Here for my monthly reminder that the friends system in this game is completely fucked and fixing it should be prioritized.

I shouldn't have to stop playing or switch DCs because someone I don't wanna play with (and have already deleted off my list) is online.

If 6.0 doesn't fix this, I hope to god they fix it before they implement Cross-DC traveling.

Why would you have to stop playing or switch DCs?

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He is probably worried that he will be matched into the same groups in dutyfinder or enters the same PF as him/her. Which is... extremely unlikely.

I assume it's more that someone can still follow you around and directly harass you in game even if you've blocked them. Because removing someone from your list doesn't remove you from their list.

See the issues enumerated in this Reddit post from a few months ago: https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/ptspr6/every_social_feature_in_xiv_is_enabling_stalking/

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
I assume it's more that someone can still follow you around and directly harass you in game even if you've blocked them. Because removing someone from your list doesn't remove you from their list.

See the issues enumerated in this Reddit post from a few months ago: https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/ptspr6/every_social_feature_in_xiv_is_enabling_stalking/

Isn't that exactly why they updated the ToS recently to make following someone who doesn't want to be followed bannable?

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
So we should get an option to go from 520 to 530 augmented crypt lurker gear via poetics on Friday, yeah?

I'm not wasting tombstones buying my 520 gear right now since you should have the option to upgrade to augmented for like 100/200/etc?

I know I'm wasting a bit upgrading my crafted 510 to 520 gear but only did a couple since those tombstones are uncapped but I think I'll stop spending on those and cap those to 2k over this week so I run into EW w/ 4k poetics (2k/2k + whatever little bit of allegory I got left). Should be more than enough to then have i530 gear.

Papatulus

Sep 27, 2021
The villains in Sorrow of Werlyt are sympathetic,
especially since it seems like they're being manipulated into doing what they're doing, but you still aren't supposed to feel remorse when you beat them. I mean their dad is helping you and doesn't get upset with you when you kill them because he understands they need to be stopped
I was referring to gaius

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Why would you have to stop playing or switch DCs?
He is probably worried that he will be matched into the same groups in dutyfinder or enters the same PF as him/her. Which is... extremely unlikely.

I am not sure if he's experiencing it himself or just making a statement about the issue in general, but he's referring to how the friends list system is actually one-sided in a way that enables harassers/stalkers. Even if you remove them from your friends list they can still use their list to track you.

The link Ultron shared gets more into it but these systems which are awkward but acceptable at a glance can help enable some real bad shit.
Isn't that exactly why they updated the ToS recently to make following someone who doesn't want to be followed bannable?

The ToS updates were a good sign but it doesn't excuse this being how it works to begin with, especially since it's not how people would expect it to work and they may be blindsided by it.

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough, hopefully it's on their to-do list. Even an invisible option like FFXI had would be a start so you don't show up on friends list or visible in searches.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Also I'll probably be at maybe 5.3 at most (just finished 5.1) by Friday (especially with no gaming Thursday)

How bad do you think the queues will be for the shadow bringers content? Especially when I do items like the Eden raids (got Verse and last one left)

I assume all those mentors / experienced / raid players won't be doing roulettes / older content for first week, ya?

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh...I need some advice.

I've been playing as a female Miqote since I started so all the story I've done is as her. I kinda want to swap to Male Viera after playing around in the benchmark I found a look I really like. The issue is my characters name is definitely not fitting for that appearance. I'm not opposed to buying a name change but I've got so much glamour tuned for female Miqote that I'm not sure how to adjust. Maybe I just don't? Plus there will be this weird feeling of it being a different character playing through Endwalker that I'm not sure I want to do it. I have 3 Fantasia so I can swap back if I really hate it I guess but I don't know.

Also I'll probably be at maybe 5.3 at most (just finished 5.1) by Friday (especially with no gaming Thursday)

How bad do you think the queues will be for the shadow bringers content? Especially when I do items like the Eden raids (got Verse and last one left)

I assume all those mentors / experienced / raid players won't be doing roulettes / older content for first week, ya?
Probably not bad at all with Reapers and Sages leveling unless they all jump into Bozja.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
The Trials roulette will probably still see a lot of activity because it's a quick shot of decent exp for people leveling, and for someone like me that wants to level 2 jobs simultaneously through MSQ I'll probably still do some of the bigger exp roulettes daily.

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017

I've been playing as a female Miqote since I started so all the story I've done is as her. I kinda want to swap to Male Viera after playing around in the benchmark I found a look I really like. The issue is my characters name is definitely not fitting for that appearance. I'm not opposed to buying a name change but I've got so much glamour tuned for female Miqote that I'm not sure how to adjust. Maybe I just don't? Plus there will be this weird feeling of it being a different character playing through Endwalker that I'm not sure I want to do it. I have 3 Fantasia so I can swap back if I really hate it I guess but I don't know.

Probably not bad at all with Reapers and Sages leveling unless they all jump into Bozja.

Personally I'd play through MSQ as the Miqo( I just switched back to Highlander from Viera for the same reason), then switch to Viera afterwards, name shouldn't really be a big problem unless you RP.

Truno

Jan 16, 2020

People are gonna be doing the hell out of roulettes for exp

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017

I think you're thinking about it backwards - it's inherently going to be better for you once EW drops because anyone doing roulettes for exp at 80+ is now going to potentially be paired with you. Compared to the current state where it's content only doable at max level so they need to either be queuing specifically for that thing or intentionally doing a roulette at level 80.

And people will definitely be doing roulettes a ton to begin with, because now everyone has jobs to level 80-90. Kind of silly to assume everyone's just gonna purely mainline MSQ when it's not like roulettes are exactly a big demand on your time, hah. But even if barely anyone was doing roulettes, it'd still be a slightly better situation for you overall.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

I've seen enough people regret it the last time when female Vieras came out. It's really up to you (and you do have the backup fantasias) but I couldn't imagine finishing this without my Au'ra PC.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
This may be too hot of a take for this thread, but I think Endwalker looks cool and I am excited to play it

plz dont ban

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I'd definitely at least wait till we get to see exactly what the hair and hat compatibility is for Male Viera. I feel like they've still been kind of cagey on that. So at least see how those are looking, then decide how that changes your opinion.

The glamour part would definitely be the worst for me. My partner has swapped between female and male characters a few times, and it's been just brutal on their glams. Especially because, at least in both of our thoughts, most of the male outfits are just less interesting in general. Though on that note, we're both Mogstation Whales, and thus had a lot of purchased gender locked clothes on the female side, so that certainly exacerbated that feeling.

And all that said my partner is also full steam ahead on Male Viera so... *shrugs*

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017

Why are they acting like BLU is a real job and including it in the countdown?

Time until maintenance:
Dec 2, 2021 at 4:00 AM

Time until early access:
Dec 3, 2021 at 4:00 AM

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This does make me think of something - it might feel like a minor thing, but something that would go a long way towards making me not feel like the writers tend to do that is just havi by a wider variety of dialogue options for the WoL in conversations about villains.

Like I would say that usually the reason I've come away feeling like the writers wanted me to feel something weird for the villains isn't just because of giving context to their background. It's the combination of that and that the only possible responses to situations I could pick from we're expressing sympathy for them, or at least that I canonically had to give them/the beliefs that motivated rhem more respect than I felt they deserved, that kind of thing.

I do agree this would definitely help. An aspect of ShB msq I did like was that they started having more of a variety in what you said to people, so I hope they continue on that path with EW (though I know there are limits to how far they can take it).

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
I was a fan of Max but wow if this is true.

Now calling it cheating is stupid, but why fake blind prog? It does absolutely nothing to help you. Nobody cares if you do it blind or not, but don't be disingenuous about shit like this. I would've liked to give him the benefit of the doubt, but those clips are pretty damning tbh.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this is the only thing. The Ascians were cartoon villains before Shadowbringers. Emet had a similar reaction to him being some pantomime villain during the SB patches especially compared to Varis.

That and Ishikawa said that Fandaniel is her favorite character she's ever written.

You best believe it's gonna be Emet 2.0 levels of "lol this villain is so dumb" to "oh my god i love him and he crushed my spirit".

Fandaniel gonna be everyone's favorite villain in 2 weeks, bet.

e:

Especially since:

* Two batshit crazy not complex villains doesn't make sense. One of them has to tug at the heart strings.

* Fandaniel's the "Protector".

* Fandaniel's the only Ascian who has his mask inverted compared to how the other Ascian masks are formed.

There's definitely something crazy weird going on with him that's gonna destroy people.

Last edited:

Stryda

Aug 20, 2018
This does make me think of something - it might feel like a minor thing, but something that would go a long way towards making me not feel like the writers tend to do that is just havi by a wider variety of dialogue options for the WoL in conversations about villains.

Like I would say that usually the reason I've come away feeling like the writers wanted me to feel something weird for the villains isn't just because of giving context to their background. It's the combination of that and that the only possible responses to situations I could pick from we're expressing sympathy for them, or at least that I canonically had to give them/the beliefs that motivated rhem more respect than I felt they deserved, that kind of thing.
This is very fair and my friends said this before. I still don't think it's a very cut and dry situation but it would definitely go a long way to helping impressions

Truno

Jan 16, 2020

Now calling it cheating is stupid, but why fake blind prog? It does absolutely nothing to help you. Nobody cares if you do it blind or not, but don't be disingenuous about shit like this. I would've liked to give him the benefit of the doubt, but those clips are pretty damning tbh.

Oh god, this is gonna become a shit show

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Some of the examples could be considered a stretch, but the last few are definitely strange. Not sure why one would put on an act like this, or why anyone would care to begin with, but the discourse over the next few days should be entertaining at least lol

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017

I started playing my cat boy with the intention of switching to a bunny boy as soon as the game lets me ... And I'm already second guessing it because I have become attached to my cat boy. And I'm only just through Heavensward. Thankfully I haven't touched glamours or anything like that, and it's the same gender.

Zhao_Yun

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

I just watched it and for some examples I guess you could make an argument that he got lucky with his guesses, but I wouldn't know how anyone would be able to predict LB possibly not working on SoS Ex. I don't know any other boss that has the ability to block your LB completely unless the boss jumps the moment before LB goes off.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
This is one of those situations where you stand to lose way more from getting caught than you gain from getting away with it. Strange af.

Status
Not open for further replies.