Status
Not open for further replies.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Shadowbringers preordered

It's decided, I am getting back into this game. I have barely touched Stormblood too, so I have two expansions worth of content to go through.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
All these newbie tanks. :3

Back in ARR, I was afraid to tank too. Nearly had an anxiety attack tanking Sastasha the first time.

I got over it, though.

I still won't tank certain content, though.

Schmeedtz

Nov 6, 2017
If you're going the crafted gear route, make sure to check mogboard(3rd party site) or at least world visit around to see if you can find cheaper. Even cheaper, if you know a crafter, materials are generally half price, or less.

Also spend your mendacity tomes on accessories to get some "free" ilvls, probably genesis too, you should get a few from doing dungeons. It's nice to run every dungeon even the ones not in the MSQ once, for the bonus.

For crafted gear if you're not buying the full set, priority should be the weapon, it's the most annoying to upgrade and the largest upgrade(relevant for the solo content, especially since some of it can be a bit challenging when underlvled in SB MSQs).
Okay, I've been out of it for a little bit. What do you mean with the bolded part? That it is more efficient to use the tomes for accessories instead of gear?

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Okay, I've been out of it for a little bit. What do you mean with the bolded part? That it is more efficient to use the tomes for accessories instead of gear?
Accessories are cheaper, but give the same ilvl. So yeah it's more efficient, ilvl wise, to upgrade your accessories first over your armor. Weapon gives double ilvl, but it also costs like 3times as much so it's not great either(also why you'd want to look into buying it). Obviously once your accessories are upgraded you should look into upgrading armor(actually, buy the belt first, it's part of armor so has vitality, but has the price of accessories) but if you just want to keep progressing through the MSQ, upgrading accessories first is best. You then unlock access to more content, that lets you get more tomes from first time bonus to upgrade your gear faster. Also dungeons that drop better gear to replace some stuff temporarily.

Schmeedtz

Nov 6, 2017
Accessories are cheaper, but give the same ilvl. So yeah it's more efficient, ilvl wise, to upgrade your accessories first over your armor. Weapon gives double ilvl, but it also costs like 3times as much so it's not great either(also why you'd want to look into buying it). Obviously once your accessories are upgraded you should look into upgrading armor(actually, buy the belt first, it's part of armor so has vitality, but has the price of accessories) but if you just want to keep progressing through the MSQ, upgrading accessories first is best. You then unlock access to more content, that lets you get more tomes from first time bonus to upgrade your gear faster. Also dungeons that drop better gear to replace some stuff temporarily.
Thanks for that explanation!

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested in how the Job popularity is going to break down after the dust has settled. Mostly in how popular Gunbreaker is going to be. On one hand, it's a tank class so it may be less picked, but on the other... It has freaking gunblades.

Megawarrior

Oct 25, 2017
Welcome, fellow tank!

BlnLLeX.png
Saving this for later.

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aurum Vale is a nightmare incarnate.
I don't like it, but it's not that bad.
LIke doing with my dragoon only because I can look cool when jumping backwards over pools of posion and landing right next to a flower.
That is the most important part when playing dragoon after all

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm interested in how the Job popularity is going to break down after the dust has settled. Mostly in how popular Gunbreaker is going to be. On one hand, it's a tank class so it may be less picked, but on the other... It has freaking gunblades.
It'll probably normalize after a week or two. Dark Knight led to a massive increase in tanks for a bit before people remembered that being a tank meant that you, theoretically, had to tank. Even if tanking in this game is just slightly different DPS.

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
Yeah, it's hard to say. I don't think in the past it changed the dynamics that much but I would say this expansion has the difference that, not only are they adding a job for each role except healers, they also made tanking easier/more focused on just having fun doing DPS and healing less appealing to virtually everyone that is actually good at healing. So I could see a situation where the numbers of tanks does increase a bit (which they've desperately tried doing for awhile now) while the numbers for healers may drop a bit, after all is said and done.

(To be honest, I kind of hope the number of healers drops a bit, since I really want them to realize they should actually make an effort to properly understand what's going on with that role, since they seem to approach it from a totally different dimension.)

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They needed to get Balmung in its own data center though. I'm not sure what the better option would have been.
Balmung was fine, they split the DC because Primal and Aether were getting "too big". Now they're both to pre-DC split sizes anyway.

What they needed to do is upgrade their servers not splinter off the community more.
Wait, does this mean I can't transfer to Ultros now?
You can't at the moment, but will probably be able to in a month

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, does this mean I can't transfer to Ultros now?

I just checked and I don't think you can, no.

Balmung was fine, they split the DC because Primal and Aether were getting "too big". Now they're both to pre-DC split sizes anyway.

What they needed to do is upgrade their servers not splinter off the community more.

Before the split, Balmung and Mateus were the two top population servers, and Gilgamesh was the top raid-focused server. All on Aether. I think they needed to do a split.

Last edited:

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
The PF on Crystal is hardly dead and there are always groups for Savage raiding, Ex trials and the like. Funneling all the new players to Crystal will help even out the populations and this is the only way to enforce it.

Crystal is not dead, I actually prefer running content on Crystal over my Aether alt because the queues are better on Crystal. :P less people in line you know? I can queue for the Feast at midnight of all things. Leveling roulette as a DPS is less than 10 minutes, trials the same. The only time I can recall a super long queue lately on Crystal was trying to help a friend clear the royal menagerie for their MSQ which was about 20 mins.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The PF on Crystal is hardly dead and there are always groups for Savage raiding, Ex trials and the like. Funneling all the new players to Crystal will help even out the populations and this is the only way to enforce it.

Crystal is not dead, I actually prefer running content on Crystal over my Aether alt because the queues are better on Crystal. :P less people in line you know? I can queue for the Feast at midnight of all things. Leveling roulette as a DPS is less than 10 minutes, trials the same. The only time I can recall a super long queue lately on Crystal was trying to help a friend clear the royal menagerie for their MSQ which was about 20 mins.
Well savage now isn't an indication that savage will be fine in 5.05

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
Well savage now isn't an indication that savage will be fine in 5.05
I doubt people running Savage now would suddenly drop it though. :P

Unless they are the kind of players that only do them with Echo, but I guess it's true that Crystal never had a trial period of current tier Savage raiding without Echo.

I'm not too worried however. NA has much lower clear rates than JPN servers and yet nobody is claiming the raiding in NA is doomed. It's the same situation.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I doubt people running Savage now would suddenly drop it though. :P

Unless they are the kind of players that only do them with Echo, but I guess it's true that Crystal never had a trial period of current tier Savage raiding without Echo.

I'm not too worried however. NA has much lower clear rates than JPN servers and yet nobody is claiming the raiding in NA is doomed. It's the same situation.
The people running it now, are not the same people who will be running it when it is current content.

NA also has a larger population than Japan overall.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I've noticed Exodus has lately had a wait timer when logging in lately. Never long tho. Maybe ~40 seconds, that might even be stretching it.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So on Primal, Lamia is the least populated server, so maybe I'll just world visit there and log in to avoid a 30 minute login que

Also you literally cannot make a new character on Primal/Aether during peak hours

worlds.PNG

This is at 4 pm eastern, and Aether/Primal only have 2 servers each that can have new characters

Last edited:

redfiend

Oct 25, 2017
Even if the servers are congested during Early Access it's still better to play early than wait for July 2nd. I wouldn't call people who wait scrubs just not real fans. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.