• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Aurum Vale is a nightmare incarnate.

Agreed. I avoid leveling roulette because I don't want to get stuck running Aurum Vale or some other annoying dungeon I don't want to run again. Too many other ways to level up classes at this point. Though out of curiosity I ran AV as a Squadron Command Mission the other day thinking it would be a nightmare with the AI. Turns out it was really straightforward. I think they made the AI immune to the boss debuffs or something because they hardly took any damage. So much better than running it in Duty Finder.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Do we have a name for the new thread yet?

Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers |OT| Hello Warrior Of Darkness My Old Friend

or

Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers |OT| I Attack The Darkness

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Hey folks. I'm new to this thread, I played FFXIV a looooong time ago, pretty much right when ARR launched on PS4. I'm looking to get back into it, and have a real dummy of a question for you.

...How do I find this game to install? I'm on the PSN store on my computer to download it from work, and I can not seem to find a listing for generic free to start FFXIV. All the expansions are there, but they don't include ARR, and all say I need the Starter Edition. But when I go to the starter edition, I get an error that says

"You are not able to purchase this product for the following reason(s):
You have already purchased
FINAL FANTASY® XIV: A Realm Reborn™ Standard Edition Pack"

Which, fine, okay. But I can't for the life of me find the listing for that specific "Standard Edition Pack" to download to my PS4. The PSN website also doesn't let me search through my download list to find something specific to redownload, and I don't want to scroll by page after page, cuz it was years ago.

So I'm really just looking to see if anyone has been in this specific situation, and knows the easiest way to just get vanilla FFXIV:ARR on my console, haha.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey folks. I'm new to this thread, I played FFXIV a looooong time ago, pretty much right when ARR launched on PS4. I'm looking to get back into it, and have a real dummy of a question for you.

...How do I find this game to install? I'm on the PSN store on my computer to download it from work, and I can not seem to find a listing for generic free to start FFXIV. All the expansions are there, but they don't include ARR, and all say I need the Starter Edition. But when I go to the starter edition, I get an error that says

"You are not able to purchase this product for the following reason(s):
You have already purchased
FINAL FANTASY® XIV: A Realm Reborn™ Standard Edition Pack"

Which, fine, okay. But I can't for the life of me find the listing for that specific "Standard Edition Pack" to download to my PS4. The PSN website also doesn't let me search through my download list to find something specific to redownload, and I don't want to scroll by page after page, cuz it was years ago.

So I'm really just looking to see if anyone has been in this specific situation, and knows the easiest way to just get vanilla FFXIV:ARR on my console, haha.
It's in your library on the home screen. Go to it and hit download.

PeacefulDream

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any hard estimates for what the ratio of people that are gonna do early access and those that're gonna wait until the 2nd?

KuroNeeko

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
It's only really the first room in AV that causes problems. I usually explain the first boss if we have first-timers.

From a healer's perspective, I had more trouble with Bardam's Mettle when I was around the same level. Everything just hits so hard. Probably the hardest dungeon is still the last fight at The Vault, specifically right after you finish killing off the orbs and you have a tether, two waves of knights, an AoE and AoE markers. Feels hardest on WHM.

Still hate Thousand Maws more though.

Kronotech

Oct 28, 2017
Welcome, fellow tank!

BlnLLeX.png

After being a little underwhelmed with the changes to my main MNK, I think I'll pick up my old rusty PLD sword and shield to join the tanking ranks again. I haven't tanked for years and never did in any raid content, just some dungeons up to the 40s. My fear is re-learning all content from a tank perspective and the party relying on me to know all the specific fight mechanics. Are all tanks expected to know where to throw markers down? Cause I'd be a hot mess there. I want to fight through the tanking anxiety but I worry my lack of overall knowledge outside of dps will hurt me and my party.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After being a little underwhelmed with the changes to my main MNK, I think I'll pick up my old rusty PLD sword and shield to join the tanking ranks again. I haven't tanked for years and never did in any raid content, just some dungeons up to the 40s. My fear is re-learning all content from a tank perspective and the party relying on me to know all the specific fight mechanics. Are all tanks expected to know where to throw markers down? Cause I'd be a hot mess there. I want to fight through the tanking anxiety but I worry my lack of overall knowledge outside of dps will hurt me and my party.
In my experience 99% of people respond well to a 'my first time doing this as tank' bear with me type message in chat.

Maybe a 'anything I should know' before each boss.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
People kinda expect the tank to know stuff yeah, but if you say you don't know, they'll tell you if there's a big thing. It does help if you learn quickly too, like if a boss has a tank buster(especially in SB content most of them do), it's fine if you don't cooldown the first but you'd want to cooldown the ones after that by making a mental note of the name of the ability. Most of the other tank "mechanics" are just standard mechanics for everyone(get out of the things, stack with stack markers, run away with most other markers, dodge things etc).

Tanking is definitely pretty easy for most casual content. For harder content you'd generally want to watch a video of mechanics anyway and these would detail any tank specific stuff(tank swaps or adds mostly).

Also if you've done the fights before even as a non tank, it shouldn't be too hard to catch up on what to do. It's mostly the same stuff.

Oct 27, 2017
So I unlocked Warrior. And I'm mapping out the abilities on my controller and there are a lot. Are there any that aren't particularly useful and can be ignored, or some that see barely any use and I can easily put off to the side?

Kronotech

Oct 28, 2017
In my experience 99% of people respond well to a 'my first time doing this as tank' bear with me type message in chat.

Maybe a 'anything I should know' before each boss.
Ok that's good to know. I'll make sure to announce and maybe run a few older content with my squadron's just in case. They don't judge me as much.

People kinda expect the tank to know stuff yeah, but if you say you don't know, they'll tell you if there's a big thing. It does help if you learn quickly too, like if a boss has a tank buster(especially in SB content most of them do), it's fine if you don't cooldown the first but you'd want to cooldown the ones after that by making a mental note of the name of the ability. Most of the other tank "mechanics" are just standard mechanics for everyone(get out of the things, stack with stack markers, run away with most other markers, dodge things etc).

Tanking is definitely pretty easy for most casual content. For harder content you'd generally want to watch a video of mechanics anyway and these would detail any tank specific stuff(tank swaps or adds mostly).

Also if you've done the fights before even as a non tank, it shouldn't be too hard to catch up on what to do. It's mostly the same stuff.
Good point. I'm not new new exactly. If I know the general mechanics from a dps perspective, it couldn't be that hard. Just learning tank busters and using cool downs that I'm not used to. Even with my MNK, I'll watch Mr. Happy's vids to get up to par with the raid or dungeon. A good once over wouldn't hurt.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
You're underwhelmed ? After SB, the new changes seems like everything I asked for

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
So I unlocked Warrior. And I'm mapping out the abilities on my controller and there are a lot. Are there any that aren't particularly useful and can be ignored, or some that see barely any use and I can easily put off to the side?
WAR doesn't have that many skills, I think it's the tank with the least actually. Granted it's still a bunch. WAR skills themselves, I don't think there's anything you don't want, they're all useful. It's role class skills you can cut some of, specifically Low Blow(only useful for soloing and on trash in dungeons) and Interject(only useful for soloing and even then not much and for a few very specific fights). Ultimatum could also be dropped, it's rarely useful unless you die and get rezed on trash and your party isn't entirely dead already.

Make sure you're using the WHXB or whatever it's called so you have 4 sets of bars. It's only 24ish abilities for WAR from a quick count, it shouldn't be an issue to fit that when you have 32 slots(plus sprint and what not).

does it include changing stances?
As far as I know, MNK in ShB doesn't change stance other than the opener/a complete restart of the rotation(death for example). You start in fire, and once you reach GL3 and are about to get another, you change to wind to go into GL4 and stay there the entire time. You don't Tornado Kick anymore, instead you use PB to spam Dragon Kick > Bootshine over and over. The opener involves using Anatman to fish for a proc of it, which sounds super boring, and RNG based unless using 3rd parties to time the server tick, but even if you don't do that and get the worst possible timing, it's still better to open with it and stand still for 3secs doing nothing, which is pretty dumb.

With the loss of TK rotation changes and the 2 oGCDs, it's gonna be pretty boring I think even with the faster GCD. Also leveling will be ass without Steel Peak and Howling Fist.

Kronotech

Oct 28, 2017
You're underwhelmed ? After SB, the new changes seems like everything I asked for
As I watched the demo and initial breakdown, I was blown away by the additions we were getting. Finally able to maintain GL? More uses for chakra? More party use? AoE? Loved it. But all breakdowns I saw after that were not as enthusiastic. And a recent updated rotation breakdown had me nervous. I haven't seen a lot of positive overviews of the changes, which left me disappointed. Underwhelmed was the wrong word to use.

My frustrations I've had with MNK are the difficult rotations compared to other jobs and the abilities that are not as useful as they can be. These ShB changes help with GL and chakra but also add more to manage. As a semi-casual player, I don't have the patience. I will be taking it to 80 first as it's my only 70 at the moment, so perhaps my opinion will change.

I haven't looked too much into it, but people are saying TK rotations are dead
Also this.

Kronotech

Oct 28, 2017

This controller guide may be helpful. I haven't had any trouble managing all my skills as a MNK. You can certainly put less useful abilities on a 2nd page.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
The entirety of FFXIV can be summed up as "You get one good thing but you have to deal with two bad things"

Every new change is a pact with the devil without reading the fine print, they are adamant on this design philosophy

Oct 27, 2017
This controller guide may be helpful. I haven't had any trouble managing all my skills as a MNK. You can certainly put less useful abilities on a 2nd page.

Cool, I'll check this out.

WAR doesn't have that many skills, I think it's the tank with the least actually. Granted it's still a bunch. WAR skills themselves, I don't think there's anything you don't want, they're all useful. It's role class skills you can cut some of, specifically Low Blow(only useful for soloing and on trash in dungeons) and Interject(only useful for soloing and even then not much and for a few very specific fights). Ultimatum could also be dropped, it's rarely useful unless you die and get rezed on trash and your party isn't entirely dead already.

Make sure you're using the WHXB or whatever it's called so you have 4 sets of bars. It's only 24ish abilities for WAR from a quick count, it shouldn't be an issue to fit that when you have 32 slots(plus sprint and what not).

Thanks. Yeah, going through them and all the role skills there wasn't anything I really thought could be avoided. I've been using 24 slots and a couple of pages (one for single target and another for 3+ targets) which has worked well for DPS, but I definitely think I'm going to need the 32 for Tanking.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Realized today I hadn't completed the 3.56 story stuff yet ran through it and...

Holy shit, that solo instance was rad as hell.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Yo all of Primal AND Aether are locked down. Half of Crystal, too. I know its peak hours right now but we're a little over a week away from EA and you can't even create a character on 5/6 of the worlds? Shadowbringers is gonna be HUGE.

Last edited:

Euphony

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
HoH is going to be absolutely packed next Friday. I don't know if I'm crazy enough to spend an entire day in there just to get DNC up to 70.

BPHusker

Oct 26, 2017
Nebraska
Does anyone happen to have/can make any 365 or higher gear to spare? Im about to beat the final 4.0 quest and hear that 4.x patch quests are locked behind item level. I bought the 390 body, legs, (1) ring and lance from the market board but am now out of Gil. I'm trying to go through the msq before SB early access.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
Does anyone happen to have/can make any 365 or higher gear to spare? Im about to beat the final 4.0 quest and hear that 4.x patch quests are locked behind item level. I bought the 390 body, legs, (1) ring and lance from the market board but am now out of Gil. I'm trying to go through the msq before SB early access.
Use centurio seals to buy i330 Lost Allagan Gear and that help carry your other i380/i390 pieces.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why is this game twice as popular now as when Stormblood launched? WoW having a bad expack cant explain this, they've had bad expacks before and this game has never seen this kind of population boom. The twitch promo ended 6 weeks ago as well. Maybe that promo did so well that a huge portion of them just stuck around and when the expack returners came back, it just got ridiculous.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Why is this game twice as popular now as when Stormblood launched? WoW having a bad expack cant explain this, they've had bad expacks before and this game has never seen this kind of population boom. The twitch promo ended 6 weeks ago as well. Maybe that promo did so well that a huge portion of them just stuck around and when the expack returners came back, it just got ridiculous.
They've had bad expacks before but they still had the benefit of the doubt. Even their consensus worst expansion previous to this one had amazing raids. This one made raiding a pain because of all the extra grinding you had to do to keep up with the power curve. It really seemed like a lot of the players just finally had enough and this one was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

It also helps that ShB looks really, really good and they've been doing stuff like the Twitch Prime promo.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They've had bad expacks before but they still had the benefit of the doubt. Even their consensus worst expansion previous to this one had amazing raids. This one made raiding a pain because of all the extra grinding you had to do to keep up with the power curve. It really seemed like a lot of the players just finally had enough and this one was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

It also helps that ShB looks really, really good and they've been doing stuff like the Twitch Prime promo.
And tbf, as bad as that ad is, they still got Spider-man to promote the expack

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
People who got up to SB but never finished it (maybe stopped playing during/after the main story) are jumping in to finish the story so they can jump into ShB, I'd guess. Plus the people from the Twitch promo.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Stormblood came out at a time when wow was doing pretty decent so I never got into it. On the other hand the Shadowbringers hype train started right around the time wow felt completely irredeemable

Status
Not open for further replies.