• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroDS

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Been trying out the trial. Having fun, complete pack is what I should be buying right? I see it's on sale until the 27th over here

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Been trying out the trial. Having fun, complete pack is what I should be buying right? I see it's on sale until the 27th over here
Once Shadowbringers is out on July 2nd, there'll be a new Complete Edition that includes everything including the latest expansion. I'd say wait on that, unless you're able to get the current complete pack for less than $20, cause Shadowbringers will be $40 on its own.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA

Would just make sure you're getting the complete edition that includes Shadowbringers, otherwise you'll be paying extra for that (unless you're getting a really good deal on the old complete edition).

Otherwise you can also get the Starter Edition, potentially get Heavensward for free until the 27th (not sure if this is NA only), and then pick up Shadowbringers down the road (which also includes Stormblood) when you're ready for it.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Came back from a long break before Shb in order to wrap up the last few patches. Though first thing I had to do was finalise my glamours, which meant finally finishing my Anima.

0tPIHGR.png

ZeroDS

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Seems like I can't get heavensward free in japan, the current complete pack on sale is 2260 yen so just over 20 dollars I guess.

If I wait for the new complete pack with everything price jumps up to over 60

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Seems like I can't get heavensward free in japan, the current complete pack on sale is 2260 yen so just over 20 dollars I guess.

If I wait for the new complete pack with everything price jumps up to over 60
I suppose it depends on how fast you're going through the content. If you don't think you'll reach the content in Shadowbringers for months and months, then by the time you get there, it'll probably be on sale. Grabbing the current complete pack at around $20 is probably the better option in that case.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Oh, but if I convert an item to a plate is it permanent? I've been using the old clunky system since glamours launched...
Originally the items couldn't be pulled out of the dresser but now they can, it just wipes spiritbinding progress as usual and binds everything to you when you put it in, but you can just get it back whenever(don't get the prism back obviously).

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding older content... is it still pretty easy to find groups? I'm guessing at this point you can just buy gear that more or less puts you in a position to do later stuff. But I am interested in experiencing most of it.

The last thing I remember doing was the Garuda fight back in the early days.

KingFrost92

Oct 26, 2017
Oregon
So, my FC just imploded and dozens of people left over some drama between moderators. Anybody got the hookup for a solid FC on Malboro? I'm close to paying for the character transfer over to Ultros, but it doesn't look like I can right now in the ramp up to Shadowbringers launch.

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Originally the items couldn't be pulled out of the dresser but now they can, it just wipes spiritbinding progress as usual and binds everything to you when you put it in, but you can just get it back whenever(don't get the prism back obviously).

Ohhhhhh, ok, thanks! I'll....stare at it....soon.

Something has to be done about my unruly retainer inventories. Two are literally just full of glamours, so this may be the best way.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
Is it really a good idea to do 10 Temple leves? Seems like it would take awhile for your leve allowances to refill and ShB leves would probably give a lot more exp.
If ShB continues the trend from SB we're not gonna get any new DoM/DoW leves. So if you have 0 intention to craft its not a bad thing to prep.

TBH MSQ exp shouldn't be an issue until level75.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
If ShB continues the trend from SB we're not gonna get any new DoM/DoW leves. So if you have 0 intention to craft its not a bad thing to prep.

Ahh I see. Yeah I always use leves for crafting/gathering. Most of the crafting jobs had one leve with easily obtainable mats you could ride all the way to 70 in stormblood if you had enough allowances.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
We should've had more Moenbryda instead of Krile.

Moenbryda is the best.

I can only hope that
we see the First's version of Moenbryda, like we are seeing Minfillia. Would give Urianger somethign to do/be emo about instead of spouting flowery prose.
My ShB prediction:
after we're done with the MSQ the ShB zones will be absorbed/incorporated into the source and become part of Eorzea. The maps will be combined FFV style. Then we'll have all the alliances and friends we made on the first to help take down the empire.
I would hit the roof if one of these come to pass, but both? I'd be playing SHB from the moon.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I think the first time I'm gonna do a dungeon in ShB I'll do the trust system since I want to do an actual dungeon with the scion. After that I'll probably queue up for some but I am a dps after all so if it takes too long I'll trust it.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
Ahh I see. Yeah I always use leves for crafting/gathering. Most of the crafting jobs had one leve with easily obtainable mats you could ride all the way to 70 in stormblood if you had enough allowances.
I'm trying to grind out crafting faster than the week 1 I did in Stormblood so it'll probably be a lot of:

-Leveling (Mining and Botany) Gatherers via grinding out materials.
-Grinding out BSM and using leves for ARM (Or Vice versa. It was really interchangable in Stormblood)
-Dumps Leves on LTW because ugh skins.
-Pray WVR is mostly botanist and there's not a leveling period where I have to rely on some form of wool (Staring at you Serge Wool)

I'm gonna boost CUL on my alts to 80 assuming we can get White Scripture at launch. Otherwise I have 7 characters with both red scripture and yellow scripture capped.

I got a lot of those 20% manuals though so I'm hoping the isn't insane.

OP
OP
Red XIII

Red XIII

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NY
for a new player wanting to play Shadowbringers the entry point is a bit much. they didn't learn anything from 4.0.

XIV Complete Edition $60 (includes 30-days of free play)
Main story skip $25 (when is not on sale)
Level boost for one class $25 (when is not on sale)
Monthly sub $12.99 or $14.99

I wonder how many people back out cause of this.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
for a new player wanting to play Shadowbringers the entry point is a bit much. they didn't learn anything from 4.0.

XIV Complete Edition $60 (includes 30-days of free play)
Main story skip $25 (when is not on sale)
Level boost for one class $25 (when is not on sale)
Monthly sub $12.99 or $14.99

I wonder how many people back out cause of this.

Either that, or for new players, the long, long road to endgame, because you can't even start the expansion story without finishing what's already there. Even being a few patches behind, given dungeons with ilvl requirements, means a solid grind (or cash) to catch up.

OP
OP
Red XIII

Red XIII

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NY
new jump potions are coming in time for early access but still, why not add the jump potions to the complete edition for new players to use right away.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
new jump potions are coming in time for early access but still, why not add the jump potions to the complete edition for new players to use right away.

Eh, I'm enjoying going through the story (just starting Stormblood.) I think skipping the story/leveling would make you miss a shocking amount of the games mechanics and so on. I get why its good for returning players but can't say I'd recommend it for completely new people.

Though ARR is shockingly slow in parts. Would be for the best if that had some of its randomly inserted fetch quests were removed.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
I could see them going with suggestions to push a lot of ARR's (particularly in 2.x) fetch quests and back and forths into sidequests to shorten the MSQ trunk. Seems like a reasonable idea, and you could definitely make tweaks like breaking down stuff like Cape Westwind and the Praetorium into series of solo duties and smaller trials to prune queue times. I wouldn't be opposed to levels 1-40 being faster either.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Oh hey, I have a dumb question! I pre-ordered Shadowbringers, it's the first expansion I've pre-ordered (the last thing I purchased was just the complete collection). How do I register it to my account? I've pre-ordered it on PSN, do I need to do anything else on my Mog Station account or anything? Or is it too early?

Last edited:

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Potion prices should be lowered, but I really don't think they should at any point bundle them with the game
Completely skipping the story of ARR-StB is for alts and people who want to pay money to fuck themselves over, and should not be encouraged
They should fix both leveling (increase speeds at lower levels, especially the hump at the end of 2.0) and story (fix 2.X) instead of throwing in potions. WoW can get away with throwing in a leveling potion (and also sort of a story skip potion, since you don't need to beat the old story to do the new xpac's story, just be at that level) because Blizzard doesn't give a shit about legacy content in the way FFXIV does. Yoshi would never want 3 xpacs worth of content to basically be thrown away. He'll never bundle any potions with the game.

Besides that, I think purchasing the game should be streamlined. Every expansion besides the current one should be included in the Starter Edition (with the newly outdated one being added every two years), much like how with WoW you only need to pay the sub + buy the latest xpac if you want to do that content

Oh hey, I have a dumb question! I pre-ordered Stormblood, it's the first expansion I've pre-ordered (the last thing I purchased was just the complete collection). How do I register it to my account? I've pre-ordered it on PSN, do I need to do anything else on my Mog Station account or anything? Or is it too early?
"pre-ordered Stormblood"
Greetings, time traveler from 2017.

As far as I know, it handles everything for you. PS4 licences are automatically registered when signing into the game. It should be exactly like when you bought the complete edition. I play on PC, so this is just what I've heard in passing.

Last edited:

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Potion prices should be lowered, but I really don't think they should at any point bundle them with the game
Completely skipping the story of ARR-StB is for alts and people who want to pay money to fuck themselves over, and should not be encouraged
They should fix both leveling (increase speeds at lower levels, especially the hump at the end of 2.0) and story (fix 2.X) instead of throwing in potions. WoW can get away with throwing in a leveling potion (and also sort of a story skip potion, since you don't need to beat the old story to do the new xpac's story, just be at that level) because Blizzard doesn't give a shit about legacy content in the way FFXIV does. Yoshi would never want 3 xpacs worth of content to basically be thrown away. He'll never bundle any potions with the game.

Besides that, I think purchasing the game should be streamlined. Every expansion besides the current one should be included in the Starter Edition (with the newly outdated one being added every two years), much like how with WoW you only need to pay the sub + buy the latest xpac if you want to do that content
One of the big problem of bundling expansions with the starter rather than with the last expansion is that bots can now get expansions. Currently they're mostly confined to ARR areas, which is annoying for new players but once they level past it they kinda forgot about them(other than the spamming obviously).

It isn't really that complicated though. You buy the base game, and you buy the last expansion. That's really it, it's the same as wow. The only difference is when you pay the smaller amount of money, you get less content than when you pay the bigger amount of money. Which kinda makes sense?

I agree on the skips for the most part, and they're never adding skips in the game until they get a good way to explain what happened in the past if you're a new player, and have some sort of Hall of Novice 2 that's mandatory. The last thing they want is new players who both don't know what's going on AND don't know how to play. Not that it prevents people from the later currently, but it helps.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
"pre-ordered Stormblood"
Greetings, time traveler from 2017.

As far as I know, it handles everything for you. PS4 licences are automatically registered when signing into the game. It should be exactly like when you bought the complete edition. I play on PC, so this is just what I've heard in passing.

Lol whoops, Shadowbringers! Haha, thanks

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
One of the big problem of bundling expansions with the starter rather than with the last expansion is that bots can now get expansions. Currently they're mostly confined to ARR areas, which is annoying for new players but once they level past it they kinda forgot about them(other than the spamming obviously).

It isn't really that complicated though. You buy the base game, and you buy the last expansion. That's really it, it's the same as wow. The only difference is when you pay the smaller amount of money, you get less content than when you pay the bigger amount of money. Which kinda makes sense?

I agree on the skips for the most part, and they're never adding skips in the game until they get a good way to explain what happened in the past if you're a new player, and have some sort of Hall of Novice 2 that's mandatory. The last thing they want is new players who both don't know what's going on AND don't know how to play. Not that it prevents people from the later currently, but it helps.
I don't think I've encountered a single bot in the game (other than gil sellers shouting in Limsa), but I also don't go looking for them, so I don't know. Maybe I've encountered bots but can't tell them apart from brain dead players. I also feel like it's unfair to punish newer players because SE can't deal with the bot problem.

Have you been reading the posts from new players in this thread or with other FFXIV places of discussion (like the subreddit, I read it even though it's garbage)? There are tons of people confused about how/when they access to HW/StB with their ShB preorder. It's apparently too complicated for many. I also think asking someone who's been out of the game for a while to immediately drop $40 + $13/15 in order to do basically anything new is quite a bit. I think front loading the content is a much bigger boon than you seem to think it is for new and returning players, but I respect your opinion

This game needs some sort of second Hall of the Novice that teaches basic mechanics. I watched two sprouts with a stack marker run away from the group during a Final Steps run today, and the thing is, I can't even blame them that much, because at no point does the game tell you what do when a stack marker is on you. Evergreen mechanics like stack markers, damage markers, the eye, etc. need to be explained in-game somewhere

Last edited:

Tawney Bomb

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I just came back to this game after quite some time. I have been leveling up LNC, and have been loving it so far. Been running a bunch of dungeons and everyone I have ran into has been pretty nice overall. Excited to do more of the MSQ and hit DRG soon.

I was wondering, is it worth doing the quests in areas, or should I just stick with dungeons for leveling?

OP
OP
Red XIII

Red XIII

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NY
I just came back to this game after quite some time. I have been leveling up LNC, and have been loving it so far. Been running a bunch of dungeons and everyone I have ran into has been pretty nice overall. Excited to do more of the MSQ and hit DRG soon.

I was wondering, is it worth doing the quests in areas, or should I just stick with dungeons for leveling?
you can use the side quests for when you hit a roadblock on the MSQ and don't feel like running dungeons.but don't go out of your way to do all of them.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
I don't think I've encountered a single bot in the game (other than gil sellers shouting in Limsa), but I also don't go looking for them, so I don't know. Maybe I've encountered bots but can't tell them apart from brain dead players. I also feel like it's unfair to punish newer players because SE can't deal with the bot problem.

Have you been reading the posts from new players in this thread or with other FFXIV places of discussion (like the subreddit, I read it even though it's garbage)? There are tons of people confused about how/when they access to HW/StB with their ShB preorder. It's apparently too complicated for many. I also think asking someone who's been out of the game for a while to immediately drop $40 + $13/15 in order to do basically anything new is quite a bit. I think front loading the content is a much bigger boon than you seem to think it is for new and returning players, but I respect your opinion

This game needs some sort of second Hall of the Novice that teaches basic mechanics. I watched two sprouts with a stack marker run away from the group during a Final Steps run today, and the thing is, I can't even blame them that much, because at no point does the game tell you what do when a stack marker is on you. Evergreen mechanics like stack markers, damage markers, the eye, etc. need to be explained in-game somewhere

On bots, it's probably because you don't go to ARR zones anymore. Go to any place where there's a MSQ and you'll probably see BLMs teleporting under the ground and getting achievements 16 at a time and shit like that. Also hit up Uldah, check inside the FC chest in the market area, you'll probably find 20bots stacked inside it. Can also try a player search on 50-50 BLMs. They're very prominent in ARR, but they don't buy expansions so you'll rarely see them at all outside that.

I totally agree on the weird situation with the expansion, but that could be fixed by them just giving access to the expansions with a preorder, but the problem is they somehow need a way to be able to remove them when people inevitably cancel their preorders. They could also probably bundle 15free days or whatever with the expansions, this way returning players don't have to both sub and pay the expansions. Limit this to once per year or whatever.

I agree completely that giving expansions in the base game would be better for players. The problem is the impact it'd have on the whole botting situation imo. The fact they're capped in ARR farming Amdapor Keep keep their prices not super interesting, and it keeps them contained to specific parts of the game rather than the full thing. If you open expansions suddenly they're generating more gold and they're present in a lot more places. It could be worth the cost, I don't know. I think I like the idea of having free expansions like HW that requires fiddling with stuff though. Maybe you can only "buy" that if you paid 1 month of sub at some point, so it weeds out the bots(which generally just remake a char once they reach the end of the free 30days.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Before maintenance starts I just need 5 more of those moogle tomestones so I can nab one more mount. As grindy as the event is, it did help me level SCH/SMN in the Alliance Raid and MSQ Roulettes (just made sure I had something else to do while all those unskippable cutscenes played in the MSQ Roulette lol). I'm going to fall short of getting those jobs up to 70 before 5.0, but I'm at 66 now, so I guess that's not too bad.

Oh, and also want to finish up the Stormblood Hildibrand quests before Shadowbringers as well (got 3 more quests to go I believe). Here's hoping I have enough time to do both before maintenance hits.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
On bots, it's probably because you don't go to ARR zones anymore. Go to any place where there's a MSQ and you'll probably see BLMs teleporting under the ground and getting achievements 16 at a time and shit like that. Also hit up Uldah, check inside the FC chest in the market area, you'll probably find 20bots stacked inside it. Can also try a player search on 50-50 BLMs. They're very prominent in ARR, but they don't buy expansions so you'll rarely see them at all outside that.

I totally agree on the weird situation with the expansion, but that could be fixed by them just giving access to the expansions with a preorder, but the problem is they somehow need a way to be able to remove them when people inevitably cancel their preorders. They could also probably bundle 15free days or whatever with the expansions, this way returning players don't have to both sub and pay the expansions. Limit this to once per year or whatever.

I agree completely that giving expansions in the base game would be better for players. The problem is the impact it'd have on the whole botting situation imo. The fact they're capped in ARR farming Amdapor Keep keep their prices not super interesting, and it keeps them contained to specific parts of the game rather than the full thing. If you open expansions suddenly they're generating more gold and they're present in a lot more places. It could be worth the cost, I don't know. I think I like the idea of having free expansions like HW that requires fiddling with stuff though. Maybe you can only "buy" that if you paid 1 month of sub at some point, so it weeds out the bots(which generally just remake a char once they reach the end of the free 30days.
I have seen a fuck ton of bots crowding around the FC chests, don't know how I forgot about that

I've been thinking about the xpac preorder thing a lot, and the more I think about it, the more I don't get, because they already have a system that provides limited time access to an expansion (early access). Just have the player's access to HW/StB revoked if they don't put in their key before the grace period ends, just like with ShB access. I know people could technically just preorder and have access to the xpacs for a few months, but honestly, it's worth any perceived losses. Those people probably would not have coughed up the $40 to get HW/StB now regardless.

Having the xpacs locked behind 1 paid month would also be a good solution, since even if they got up to 35 via the free trial, it's very unlikely that a player will get from level 35 to the end of 2.X content in a month. Anything better than their current system would be good, IMO. People want to participate in the zeitgeist around the ShB launch, but if you tell a returning player "In order to play ShB at launch, cough up $40 for StB, then $40 for ShB, plus sub time" or a new player "In order to play ShB at launch, cough up $60 now for ARR/HW/StB, then $40 for ShB, plus sub time". As someone who started playing within the past year, the latter is basically what I had to do.

The HW giveaway was a smart idea, but it's ultimately a temporary band-aid for a larger problem. Two of the important things for an online game are getting new players and getting relapsed players back in, and FFXIV requires both groups to pay a fuck ton. More than basically any other video game out there.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is there anything I can do with the Heavensward endgame currency? (totems?) I did one of the HW dungeons through the daily roulette, and at the end was told that my inventory was full of the currency. What should I do? Should I care?

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Is there anything I can do with the Heavensward endgame currency? (totems?) I did one of the HW dungeons through the daily roulette, and at the end was told that my inventory was full of the currency. What should I do? Should I care?
The totems are used to buy the weapons(obsolete now unless you want them for glamour, Hive ones look pretty good, arguably better than the crafted versions) and mounts(with 99, generally with the increased drop rates you can get most mounts before that). I kept them until I got each mount and threw them away after that. Not a big loss.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Are you talking Poetics or the Extreme Primal Totems?
I can't tell you right now. Is either of them good right now?

Other question: how will you guys level the new jobs that are coming with Shadowbringers? Will you buy a level potion from the store?

If I equip a new job, will my character be able to use the daily roulette with all the content I have unlocked so far with my other jobs? I quite like using the daily roulette to level my character, and I dislike Palace of the Dead.

The totems are used to buy the weapons(obsolete now unless you want them for glamour, Hive ones look pretty good, arguably better than the crafted versions) and mounts(with 99, generally with the increased drop rates you can get most mounts before that). I kept them until I got each mount and threw them away after that. Not a big loss.
Alright, thanks. Is there a good website on the internet to has some equipment database? I'd like to look at the equipment to see if maybe there's something I'd like for glamour.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017

Other question: how will you guys level the new jobs that are coming with Shadowbringers? Will you buy a level potion from the store?

If I equip a new job, will my character be able to use the daily roulette with all the content I have unlocked so far with my other jobs? I quite like using the daily roulette to level my character, and I dislike Palace of the Dead.
Potions don't work on the lastest jobs(well they didn't on SAM/RDM). Roulette is locked to whatever you can access on that class. Leveling will only open at 16(once you can access 2 different dungeons) for example. You can definitely use the roulettes to level up to cap, potd is more on top of that if you play more.

Also for leveling alts the big advantage is you get the armory bonus, which grants 100% bonus xp until 60, then +50% xp until 70(will be changed to 100% till 70 and 50% till 80 next expansion). So alts don't need to do as many things. Leveling roulette is often close to a full level and so you get there over time eventually if you're not in a hurry.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
If its poetics (The currency in that currency tab with the 3 red lines and 1 blue) you can use that for end game raiding gear for an out of date expansion tier. (i120/130, i260/270, and i390/400 come friday). If its the totems from the Extreme Primal fights you can trade 10 in for a weapon (Glamour), 99 for a mount, or toss them.

The job potions/msq jumps will get a bump to level70 and MSQ 4.56 (They're on sale right now for Lv60 and MSQ 3.55)

If they do what they did for SB there will not be a jump potion for GNB or DNC until a later date.

Those jobs also start at level60.

As long as they have the level and maybe gear for it yes. However it is only one per day until the reset.

Zuly

Oct 26, 2017
Puerto Rico
First: I would never purchase a level potion but that's personal preference. Same with MSQ skip ones. I will use a combination of Deep Dungeons, Roulettes, and Beast Tribe Quests during queue times. It's how I usually level DPS. If it's a healer or a tank, I simply do dungeon content my level.

Status
Not open for further replies.