• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 11, 2018
It's one episode. We'll be fine. They asked us about the possibility of a non-canon happier ending (and also an extremely dark ending) and the fans said yes.

Really? To me the overall reaction to Tabata asking that question seemed to be "pls stahp!". And not from the people who like to rain on other people's parade, but by people who actually like the game and its ending. Lots of people said that this was not what they should be spending their time on.

But yeah, sounds like Episode Luna will also tie in with the alternative timeline. I also feel sorry for the people who are yet to play the game. Much of the plot has already been spoiled in trailers and descriptions for the official DLC - not to mention box art.

The fact that it isn't finished

The base game is finished.

Oct 27, 2017
London
I am hoping that the Noctis DLC follows canon events mostly with just the option of a new ending. I want to explore the dark world. ALSO ARANEA DLC YES YES YES

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that it isn't finished
The main game's core experience is finished - pretty sure there won't be any significant changes anymore (only the Comrades Multiplayer updates they announced today, but that's separate from the main game). The 2019 DLC is side stories and alternate ending/timeline stuff. The Royal/Windows Edition are the perfect starting point now if you want to play FFXV for the first time.

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
What?

DaH-3XaVQAA73fE.jpg

This is the real new ending with everyone happy and Noctis and LunaFreya having kids?

I'm laughing at the sheer lunacy of this art (heh heh, LUNAcy...)
The real painting should be the 3 living bros planning a memorial service for Noct. Pffft, Ardyn getting a hug from Noct's nonexistent son, get the fuck outta here.

ULTROS!

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you think about it, we're all getting the DLCs still within a year (January 2019, February 2019, March 2019, April 2019).

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
Benzy... I respect you alot but don't say that. The DLC offers perspective and is vital.

It still isn't going to change the current playthrough of the main game. If you play Episode Ardyn now before you even start the main playthrough you'll basically get spoiled about who Ardyn is, the reveal of his relation to Noct and his intentions throughout the main game. Same for Luna and Noct's episodes. All of this stuff is meant to be played after beating the main game and provides backstory. Ardyn's is basically a prequel episode, I don't see how it's different from game sequels that acts as a story prequel to certain game franchises.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
No really, I hate that we have this issue with a JRPG.

I have played ever mainline FF but I can't see when is a good time to play this.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Noctis and Luna's kids, the crew all look visibly older in that pic.
Holy crap what did Noctis do to Ardyn lol.

"Well, in Insomnia they say - that the Chancellor's small heart grew three sizes that day. And then - the true meaning of love came through, and Ardyn found the strength of *ten* Ardyns, plus two!"

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
The kids look creepy. At least have them share features from both parents. They look like lazy clones.

Also, the bros seem to have let themselves go in this pic lol. Maybe it's all that pizza from Papa John's?
I mean, they finally have peace. Let them relax for a bit lol.

And the kids don't have to look like carbon copies of the parents. That and genetics yadda yadda yadda.

Jan 11, 2018
Looks like it's drawn in that "storybook" artstyle rather than a 1:1 exact depiction of them.

No, that's not what's bugging me. I love Yuki Matsuzawa's art style. He's probably the best illustrator the series has ever had. But look at the other art he's drawn for this game, from the Dawn art to the Piano Collections art. None of it looks this odd.

And the kids don't have to look like carbon copies of the parents. That and genetics yadda yadda yadda.

But that's my point. Why do they look like someone just copy pasted art of Luna and Noctis as children into this picture? Both lazy and creepy.

Ignis looks so fat in that concept art lmao,what happened to best boy?

Like I said, too much pizza. But it's not just that they all look like they got dad bods, but Prompto and Ignis still having the same 20's something hairdo? It makes them look like middle aged people who in denial about their age lol.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what Episode Noctis entails or why it's needed, but if I can whip out Punished Noctis again, I'll take it.

Poor Aranea. Being relegated to a side story leaves me wondering how substantial her piece of content will be, but I'm at least glad she's getting her own episode. Even with her welcome inclusion into Episode Prompto, she still feels underused in the grand scheme of things. I also hope Biggs and Wedge have more to do and that we can actually see more of Gralea beyond that one seemingly endless fortress.

No complaints at all with there being Episode Ardyn even if we knew it was coming for many months now. The execution of Ardyn stumbled as a consequence of FFXV's story feeling as abrupt and abridged as it does, so any attempt to flesh him out is absolutely welcome. Naturally I would much rather have preferred for his fleshed out story to have been in the base game to begin with, but I've long given up trying to express in a multitude of ways my sheer frustration with the base game feeling as anaemic as it did.

Episode Lunafreya is again, no surprise, but at this point I simply cannot bring myself to care about the character. I've long maintained from the outset that I absolutely despise Luna's purpose in the story and how she's always been written as a woman entirely revolved around serving Noctis, while possessing virtually nothing of interest on her own as an individual. She's a character I deem to be fundamentally beyond saving and beyond my ability to give a shit about. I'm kind of disappointed that she takes up a slot while Iris for example is just shafted, likely to remain as a lowly quest giver or vendor in Comrades.

EDIT: The one good thing about an Episode Luna I feel is the chance for them to give Tenebrae its due so it's not simply just a train station in the twilight. I vividly recall the real time footage of Tenebrae in daylight and it perplexes me how wasted the location is.

Last edited:

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
Like I said, too much pizza. But it's not just that they all look like they got dad bods, but Prompto and Ignis still having the same 20's something hairdo? It makes them look like middle aged people who in denial about their age lol.

Ignis's hair is fine imo,same hair style but way shorter.
Prompto is creepy with that smile and the camera doesn't help either lmao.

Btw,Ravus is missing in that concept art.
Poor guy,he can't have a break and be happy for a sec.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
IN

TOTALLY

100%

IN

THERE.

... but I am concerned about the discrepancy between the three "Episodes" and the one I want most Aranea's is simply titled a "Side story." Is it gonna be like 10 minutes or something? :(

NewGuy

Nov 23, 2017
man FF15 turn around from mediocre to the GOAT is astonishing to me, still, don't know how they pulled it off.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Yessssssss to all of this other than the "new" non-canon endings. XV's actual ending is one of my faves so naturally I turn my nose up at others lol.

But YAY to everything else. I love this game!

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
If the Episode Ignis director is doing all these DLCs then he's probably not directing the new IP at Luminous. Which would likely leave the Episode Gladilous or the Episode Prompto director.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Benzy... I respect you alot but don't say that. The DLC offers perspective and is vital.
Ehh, how is Aranea's point of view in chapter 12/13 or an alternate ending with Noctis "vital" to the main story? And for Ardyn the gist of his background story is known already and that's enough for the main story. You didn't have playable sections for every FF villains exploring their whole past either. FFVII didn't show the arrival of JENOVA, or the destruction of the Cetra, or Zack's past etc. either. You could always add more and more side stories and explore more backstory if you wanted and it would never end. Not everything needs to be shown or explained in full in a story.

Honestly, I don't even know what plot point still needs deeper explanation or fleshing-out that much. The released DLCs and new cutscenes/sections pretty much covered everything already. Can you name examples of what you still would've wanted to see more of that is also vital? Personally, I'm pretty much set when it comes to FFXV's main story. Everything is clear enough for me at this point. I'm more interested in prequels (maybe even sequels, but only if done right) with new stories set in the universe. I'm glad that Episode Ardyn is seemingly covering his distant past - that could be an interesting backdrop.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Episode Noctis is basically that. That final curtain call.

If people really want another way to think of it, Episode Noctis is like the Citadel DLC for Mass Effect 3. Fanservice for people who loved the game and want one last hurrah with Noct and the bros before Square moves on to the next game.

It actually makes SENSE that the final DLC would star Noctis, all things considered. Ravus is the character getting screwed here. He should've had Luna's spot.

Mr. RPG

Oct 25, 2017
Got away with what? Having people change their minds and turning a mixed reception to a generally favourable one?

Come on, you know exactly what I meant.

Final Fantasy XV was clearly an incomplete game when it was first released and now almost two years later they are still adding content to the game most of which should have been already in the game in the very beginning.

If they do exactly what they're doing with Final Fantasy XV right now with Final Fantasy XVI, Square-Enix will absolutely get away with it again.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Come on, you know exactly what I meant.

Final Fantasy XV was clearly an incomplete game when it was first released and now almost two years later they are still adding content to the game most of which should have been already in the game in the very beginning.

If they do exactly what they're doing with Final Fantasy XV right now with Final Fantasy XVI, Square-Enix will absolutely get away with it again.

None of this content should've been in the game from the beginning. Are you seriously asking for the main villain to have a playable prequel chapter in the launch version of a mainline FF game? It makes no sense. All of the stuff they're adding now is more like bonus content for a DVD release of a movie.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
It still isn't going to change the current playthrough of the main game. If you play Episode Ardyn now before you even start the main playthrough you'll basically get spoiled about who Ardyn is, the reveal of his relation to Noct and his intentions throughout the main game. Same for Luna and Noct's episodes. All of this stuff is meant to be played after beating the main game and provides backstory. Ardyn's is basically a prequel episode, I don't see how it's different from game sequels that acts as a story prequel to certain game franchises.
I remember a time when final fantasy games had side stories and parts later in the game that had flashbacks within the main game. It's because all of that is needed to make a story complete. I guess the alternate timeline stuff maybe wouldn't count (dont know, haven't played it yet), but acting like story content, whether or not it takes place before or after the "main" plot isnt important is subjective at best. The evidence in this are the many people who refuse to play the game until square stops developing new content for it. People care about not having wait two years to buy extra dlc just to experience the full game.

Jan 11, 2018

But none of the DLC except perhaps Royal Pack "should have been" in the base game. Although I do agree that all of the QoL updates were things that you'd expect the base game to have had on day one.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bit disappointed that Aranea, isn't getting a full episode. She's the most interesting character of the bunch IMO.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Yeah you might as well keep holding off on buying the game if you haven't at this point.

I'm still torn over whether it's a good or bad thing that Luna, the absolute nothing of a character, got an episode. There's a bunch of other characters who deserved a spot over her. But maybe now she'll actually get something resembling a personality.

chocolate

Feb 28, 2018
So Ardyn remains an ageless being judging by that artwork.

Ignis got fat too. He's been eating too much of his own recipehs.

Not a fan at all of this alternative ending nonsense. Distracts and undermines the main game's ending as a whole. Can't see how, and why, people would want these alternative endings.

Seems like a big waste of time to focus on when they could've been focusing on more worthwhile stuff.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Was episode Ignis the best one? Haven't been able to play any of them yet. My backlog is piling up, but I definitely want to play through the game a second time + the DLC episodes.