• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
ba1.png

FrontierGamer

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
The new DLC, thankfully, will pretty much come out back-to-back according to the content roadmap starting in late Winter 2019 with the last releasing mid Spring 2019.

ffxv-2019-story-dlc-1.jpg

Now that we know of the presence of Final Fantasy XV at TGS 2018 (with trailer confirmed), I expect to see the first trailer of Episode Ardyn.

I have an incredible Hype :)

Hey, I better hear the same love when I release Final Fantasy XVI in a few years.

I am sure that FF XVI will also be very beautiful in its own way.

And I also hope that the theme of the journey of Final Fantasy XV, that gave me more than 300 hours of pure fun and excitement, will be taken as a starting point for FF XVI.

Last edited:

Mature

Oct 25, 2017
I mean surely FFXIV got to be top 5 because we now have 14 million members. I'm betting around 7million sells+

Oct 27, 2017
Just goes to show people will continue to buy unfinished games. I just hope they use this sales success to make a finished and actually good mainline FF game for the first time in a long while.

Tired with the usual unfinished game moniker,at this point it's became a meme. FF XV at launch was barebones, but finished. That was the game they managed to make in just 3 years of development. It's a miracle the game is as good as it is with such short development time and technical issues because of the Luminous engine Square Enix forced upon them.
I don't have recollection of other huge AAA open world games with 3 years development, they are all around 4-6 years.

The Witcher 3 was 4 years in development
Horizon Zero Dawn had almost 6 years
Breath of the Wild had 4 years of development

All the dlcs that came later were not cut from the original game, instead they were added because they had more time to give proper details about the events of the game because they realized people felt main story and lore was a bit rushed and superficial. The new ones that should be released next year are the usual DLCs you could see in every game, they are not important to understand the main plot of FFXV but give even more details about some events and characters.

To make a comparison the new Ardyn episode is a bit like the Braska, Auron, Jecht pilgrimage that was just briefly touched on by the original game but never really explained. While Episode Ardyn seems to explore his conflict with the Astrals.

That doesn't mean they are still finishing the game, they are just giving it more content to keep people playing it. And it seems it worked considering that many still buy them as separate dlcs and as Royal edition. They wouldn't had the idea to create even more DLC if there was no interest in them, there is interest that shows that the base game was mostly loved and people want to know more.

Say what you want but Tabata always showed respect for Final Fantasy (he wasn't the one that decided to go open world, that was already decided when it was Versus XIII) and these new DLCs mean he wants to make the game as good as possible, as detailed as possible.

I'm excited for his new project without the burden of the Final Fantasy name.

OP
OP
ULTROS!

ULTROS!

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
XV is on every major platform. Whereas the games it's trying to catch up to got the bulk of their sales on one platform. They become even less impressive when you realize how quickly 15 was discounted. Once it goes on sale at the dollar store I'm sure it'll get around to 8.

Well, FFXIII is on every major platform last gen sooo...

ASarafanov

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Japan
In February this year before the PC version came out it was at 7.1M, now at 8.1M. In July FFXV on Steam was at 489,872 and since then it surely has added a few hundreds of thousands. I think the Royal Edition is a smaller piece of that million, so the PC version should easily pass at least a million in the next months with upcoming Black Friday/Halloween/Holiday/Winter sales. Then the more sophisticated official mod tools are coming in Fall too which include a level editor etc., which could possibly give it a push and longer legs if it catches on in the modding scene. So yeah, it might take another 1-2 years, but I think 2M could be possible.

See above, it was around 500K on Steam two months ago. Probably added a few Ks since.
Another 1-1,5M with 70-90% discounts.... I don't think that's what Tabata hoped for. Full priced sales are low.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great to hear. Even with its faults, I enjoyed FFXV immensely. It's hard to say it's the best FF since VIII but it's definitely the one I had the most fun with

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
Hilarious the 'one platform argument' is when those one platforms were PS1 and PS2

All FF's were discounted post release too. This is not a nintendo game series guys

FrontierGamer

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
Another 1-1,5M with 70-90% discounts.... I don't think that's what Tabata hoped for. Full priced sales are low.

Final Fantasy XV sold 5/6 million at DayOne.

And I would like to mention that this is already a very good result, which has also completely covered all production costs in one day.
(At full price)

Moreover, if we talk about the other 3 million and more that he sold in the following years, he demonstrates the fact that the game of Final Fantasy XV in addition to being very remunemative, is a success, a masterpiece, and one of the best games of this generation .
(as well as one of the best Final Fantasy ever made, and one of the best sellers)
(moreover, it does not make much sense to distinguish between full-price sales and discount sales, because however you put it, Final Fantasy XV has sold to DayOne [and that is at full price] more than 5/6 million of copies, this is in fact objectively an excellent result)

So it is, and remains, a great result :)

PS: Then, if we count the sales of the Pocket Edition, the game of Final Fantasy XV has already sold 11 / 12 million copies in the world :)

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
They got 200-300K at full price before the first Steam sale in April or so. Don't forget it was a late port and now almost two years old. No way they expected 2M at full price - if you believe that you probably also believed that they needed 10M to break even on FFXV, lol. Also, why "70-90% off"? It's been 50% in the recent sales and at most it will be 60% off over the next years (like TW3 is all the time), especially if next year's eventual Complete Edition including the upcoming 2019 DLCs is gonna be the default version on sale increasing the value.

Most PC games sell the most long-term through sales. You think many millions of TW3's PC sales weren't at discounts either? It's regularly ranging between $40 and $20 every few weeks for years now (got it for $20 myself in 2016).

Tired with the usual unfinished game moniker,at this point it's became a meme. FF XV at launch was barebones, but finished. That was the game they managed to make in just 3 years of development. It's a miracle the game is as good as it is with such short development time and technical issues because of the Luminous engine Square Enix forced upon them.
I don't have recollection of other huge AAA open world games with 3 years development, they are all around 4-6 years.

The Witcher 3 was 4 years in development
Horizon Zero Dawn had almost 6 years
Breath of the Wild had 4 years of development

All the dlcs that came later were not cut from the original game, instead they were added because they had more time to give proper details about the events of the game because they realized people felt main story and lore was a bit rushed and superficial. The new ones that should be released next year are the usual DLCs you could see in every game, they are not important to understand the main plot of FFXV but give even more details about some events and characters.

To make a comparison the new Ardyn episode is a bit like the Braska, Auron, Jecht pilgrimage that was just briefly touched on by the original game but never really explained. While Episode Ardyn seems to explore his conflict with the Astrals.

That doesn't mean they are still finishing the game, they are just giving it more content to keep people playing it. And it seems it worked considering that many still buy them as separate dlcs and as Royal edition. They wouldn't had the idea to create even more DLC if there was no interest in them, there is interest that shows that the base game was mostly loved and people want to know more.

Say what you want but Tabata always showed respect for Final Fantasy (he wasn't the one that decided to go open world, that was already decided when it was Versus XIII) and these new DLCs mean he wants to make the game as good as possible, as detailed as possible.

I'm excited for his new project without the burden of the Final Fantasy name.
I agree with your post, but regarding the underlined part I just wanted to note that it actually was Tabata's decision to go open-world. He was really adamant about it while the team opposed his idea because they didn't think they could do it technically and content-wise, so he had to convince and motivate them to try it regardless:
4Gamer:
What were the reasons you were fixated on having an open world?

Tabata:
"I wonder why it isn't open world?" This is how modern RPG's are thought of by oversea fans. Particularly, FFXV is a game where you travel the world so its normal for people to think it should be an open world.

Formerly, there was an era when FF was at the front line of RPGs. Making FFXV an open world is an easy way to understand modernization. We also aimed to once again return to that front line with FFXV. If we didn't make such a change, it wouldn't be very convincing if we said, "we are competing with Skyrim".

This is why the game will progress alongside the story but we used open world technology to interpret the world. That is one principle I wouldn't bend on.

Nozue:
To exchange opinions with everyone, we went on a small camp and discussed until we were all satisfied.

4Gamer:
When was this?

Tabata:
Right as we merged together with Luminous Studio a few months after announcing FFXV at the 2013 E3. At that point in time, the engineers wouldn't listen and insisted, "With Square Enix's current know-how, an open world is impossible". That trend was especially strong with our foreign engineers.

4Gamer:
As a person who is rooting for Square Enix and the FF series, there is something sad about the words, "an open world is impossible".

Tabata:
That is how low the world thinks our technological skills are. Especially because the first HD game in the Final Fantasy series just so happened to be a linear creation, people started to think, "These guys don't have the technology to make a AAA open world title".

With all that in mind, we distributed the demo and finally got a warm breeze blowing, "What? You guys could make an open world?".

4Gamer:
Even so, "Even if we fail, its okay". That's quite the resignation.

Tabata:
If I hadn't said that the team couldn't have confidence and come together. By saying that, we were able to dynamically manage a seamless world, prepare an environment and the team could relax with the thought, "Even if it sucks Tabata is responsible". However, in the end everyone said they didn't like how empty the field was.

Nozue:
They are really doing their best aren't they. (laughs)

Tabata:
I told them, "I told you it's okay if it's empty". But they reply, "But we don't like that!". (laughs)

4Gamer:
So your saying, even though they could do it if they tried, they were opposed.

Tabata:
That's because, technologically making an open world in itself is a tremendous task. The current methods for map layout, and loading system are completely different. At first, even I felt, "So this is how you create an open world map". That's the situation we were in and when we look at Grand Theft Auto or Red Dead Redemption, it's normal to think, "Yeah, we can't do that".

4Gamer:
Those are certainty two amazing games...

Tabata:
Well, I understood how they felt. At any rate, we overcame that and technologically learned how to design the map. It's not completely an open world but we were able allow players the experience of a seamless world. When we arrived at that juncture, I was really happy.

4Gamer:
Tabata, did you actually believe that you could make FFXV an open world.?

Tabata:
Of course I did. Technologically our competitors are already doing it and it's not some mysterious skill.

However, faced with new technology, I had doubts of whether the development staff could maintain their best performance until the game was properly completed. From there I firmly created our team, set a goal, and continued to consciously update our progress with a firm stance. In short, I emphasized issues with the mind rather than technology.

4Gamer:
They were getting down on themselves?

Tabata:
First, people look at the things they can't do right? They would say, "If it's an open world quality will go down". Or, "We won't have content for it". Thats why I continued to say, "It's okay if quality drops," and, "An empty world is okay".

4Gamer:
But, actually you had the hope, "They can do it if they try". Didn't you?

Tabata:
Yes, 50% of me hoped. My standpoint for the remaining 50% was, it's okay if it's an empty world. If we can complete it that's enough.

4Gamer:
Being able do think like that for a numbered FF title is shocking.

Tabata:
However, I think I made it clear to the whole team that the "technology" we use, and our level of "content completion" were separate. I wondered if there was a good example and after searching I found Shadow of the Colossus. After showing it, everyone seemed to understand. Of course, I'm not making fun of Shadow of the Colossus by any means. It's because I respect it that I'm using it as an example.

4Gamer:
It's a good example, which goes to show you can make many great games depending on how you make it, even if you don't stuff it full of content. Actually, Shadow of the Colossus had great reviews overseas as well.

Tabata:
You can get a sense of the world just by moving to a destination right? The staff validated the appeal of Shadow of the Colossus. Another example of a game you can experience the world is, The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time. If you compare it to games these days, it isn't exactly brimming with content. Even so, you become entranced just running around on a horse in a seamless world.

4Gamer:
At this point in time, is the completed from of FFXV the same as what you thought it would be when you started?

Tabata:
We were able to realize all the parts I thought were a "must have".

Source.

Oct 27, 2017
Basing it from here: http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Best_selling_Square-Enix_games

1. Final Fantasy VII (13,108,000)
2. Final Fantasy XIV (10,903,000)
3. Final Fantasy X (10,571,400)
4. Final Fantasy VI (10,177,600)
5. Final Fantasy VIII (8,870,000)
6. Final Fantasy XV (8,100,000)
7. Final Fantasy XIII (7,700,000)
8. Final Fantasy XII (7,200,000)
9. Final Fantasy X-2 (5,876,000)
10. Final Fantasy IX (5,731,000)
11. Final Fantasy IV (5,389,000)
12. Final Fantasy I (4,903,000)
13. Final Fantasy III (4,368,300)
14. Final Fantasy V (3,966,500)
15. Final Fantasy XIII-2 (3,600,000)
Holy shit at those 14 numbers. What a turn around on that one

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Hilarious the 'one platform argument' is when those one platforms were PS1 and PS2

All FF's were discounted post release too. This is not a nintendo game series guys
Yeah. PS2 ended up selling over 150 million units, and even the PS1 also sold more than 100 million. It's not like those games were on consoles that sold poorly.