• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So, my setup is completely unable to play the game with Nividia Turf on.

But to be honest i'm really not that sad, because while it looks amazing, the actual implementation isn't as good as the regular sprite grass because it doesn't seem to be affected by the wind simulation

Urthor

Oct 28, 2017
I'm so annoyed you pretty much don't get Libra outside of Wait mode. Ignis does not scan in every fight, it's so annoying how to actually get the weaknesses of your enemies your choices are to toggle a menu option or just guess

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so annoyed you pretty much don't get Libra outside of Wait mode. Ignis does not scan in every fight, it's so annoying how to actually get the weaknesses of your enemies your choices are to toggle a menu option or just guess

Can't you use Libra manually by playing as Ignis?

Loadout

Oct 26, 2017
Israel
BgV6Gne.png

Well I guess I wont be trying the HD texture pack anytime soon

Bandate

Nov 6, 2017
Anyone having hard crashes 10-15 mins in? I'm crashing even while the game is paused...

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone having hard crashes 10-15 mins in? I'm crashing even while the game is paused...
check the windows eventmanager. If there is something about nvlddmkm having to be restores right after a crash it's you GPU overclock. Either turn it down a bit or apply a bit more voltage.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hrmm. This game seems to be writing to the disk drive or something during gameplay. Got a disk low warning. Quit game to find my SSD at like 700mb. A few moments later it was back up to like 4 gigs. So it's writing or reserving space or something.

Oct 25, 2017
They won't do me any good, but has someone made some screenshot comparisons with normal vs. the high-res texture pack yet?

I just finished playing for a while and it runs way better than I expected. I'm on an antique 16GB memory, 4.2 GHz i5-3570k system. I'm running a GTX 770 2GB at 1680x1050 because I don't want to spend bitcoin money on a new graphics card and can't really justify it...and yet it doesn't look horrible. I used the low preset and turned a couple of things up, and most everything just runs smoothly at 60 fps up through the hotel thus far.

Keyboard and mouse controls worked okay after adjusting sensitivity, audio was a bit loud but I balanced it, no crashes or major bugs I've seen besides some flickering on clothes and fur very early on.

Huzzah for older systems still being playable!

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't maintain a nice 60fps no matter what settings without some rubbish stuttering for some reason, but I'm able to lock it to a solid 30 with no stutters with every setting at max and all gameworks on. It's not ideal but it looks miles better than the console versions at least.

Also don't get the point of turf? I thought it was supposed to be realistic grass that you leave trails in and stuff. So far it just looks like prettier sprite grass but doesn't seem to respond to my character or move with the wind etc.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Didn't the demo have a bunch of nVidia specific stuff on that affected performance under the "High" preset? It gave an unfair disadvantage with people with AMD GPUs.
I think you're thinking of the benchmark, not demo. You can customize the graphics settings as you like in the demo, including turning off all of the Gameworks stuff.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Still the same situation that when in fight and particles start flying around, the game tanks to sometimes single digit fps. Wonder why that has not been fixed yet.

AMD RX580

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I am set for 150%, VXAO on + AO off, all three other GameWorks effects on, no motion blur, others max. Played in 1080p, the game can maintain 60 fps at idle and drop to 48+ during combat. I think this can work for me. If I want to have more smoother experience, I can just drop to 125%.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Well, if VXAO does its job properly then we shouldn't need to have the regular implementation turned on at all right? Unless VXAO only applies to static objects?
In a perfect world with infinite GPU performance, then yes. But since it is still very expensive to do things like this, they work at different levels of scale and magnitude (think like visual reads, medium detail to fine detail). Also, the voxelisation is probably not going to be on moveable objects. It covers larger scale AO in an accurate manner. The crevices on nocti's shirt though still need something to be done in screen space.

You definitely want both on at the same time.
Is this advised? I have AO on highest and VXAO on. Do they "add up"?
They should add up. NVs default VXAO options as part of shadow works recommends combining and havine HBAO+ with the voxelised representation on.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I think you're thinking of the benchmark, not demo. You can customize the graphics settings as you like in the demo, including turning off all of the Gameworks stuff.
I have not, as I saw little reason to download it seeing as I preordered the game already.

Might try again later.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
60 fps lock possible on a 970? Played it briefly on the PS4 but the performance made me cry.

I have a i7 6700k too....

Gizamaluke

Oct 28, 2017
Wat. Must be a new record.

I'd prefer a new recipé.

The game is still unplayable for me. I've tried removing my overclocks and even underclocking my 1080FE with afterburner and the screen is still strobing and flashing all over the place as soon as the game starts no matter what resolution or setting. The sadness is real.

jipewithin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really weird, on I'll Tidings game keeps crashing right at the beginning of like 5 seconds. Did it twice in a row.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Is the stuttering any better compared to the demo? Frame rate was fine on my 6600/1070 but the stuttering wouldn't go away no matter what I tried.

SnakeyHips

Oct 31, 2017
Wales
Is this advised? I have AO on highest and VXAO on. Do they "add up"?
Maybe try a combination of on and off to see if they do double up or if VXAO like overrides the in-game AO. Be pointless having them both on if they double up.

How's the CPU usage and stuttering in the game? It was pretty poor on my 7700k during the demo. Find it weird people saying this game is well optimised when it really doesn't seem to utilise the CPU that much especially considering it's an open world game.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Hitting 60fps solid is definitely requiring some tweaks. Have to run at 75% resolution of 4K (1620p basically) without Gameworks features and then I can hit a nearly locked 60.

If I settle for 30fps capped (using half-rate via NV Inspector) then I can go for 125% resolution of 4K with every setting maxed out and it holds solid. Looks really impressive when doing so.

Resolution seems to have the greatest impact on performance I'm finding. Native 4K is super demanding if you're going for higher frame-rates.

SnakeyHips

Oct 31, 2017
Wales
Hitting 60fps solid is definitely requiring some tweaks. Have to run at 75% resolution of 4K (1620p basically) without Gameworks features and then I can hit a nearly locked 60.

If I settle for 30fps capped (using half-rate via NV Inspector) then I can go for 125% resolution of 4K with every setting maxed out and it holds solid. Looks really impressive when doing so.

Resolution seems to have the greatest impact on performance I'm finding. Native 4K is super demanding if you're going for higher frame-rates.
It'd be interesting to see if a combination of lower game settings but with Gameworks settings enabled would produce better fps but higher fidelity than just higher game settings without their corresponding Gameworks enabled. For example, seeing if lowering the game's normal shadow setting but enabling Nvidia HFTS holds better fps and better looks. Same for vegetation with TURF and AO with VXAO (if these are tied together).

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
Is the stuttering any better compared to the demo? Frame rate was fine on my 6600/1070 but the stuttering wouldn't go away no matter what I tried.

Just an idea, have you tried enabling vsync and triple buffering in NVIDIA Control Panel? Sometimes this would help me? ( I don't own the game btw)

SnakeyHips

Oct 31, 2017
Wales
Just an idea, have you tried enabling vsync and triple buffering in NVIDIA Control Panel? Sometimes this would help me? ( I don't own the game btw)
Nvidia triple buffering only works for OpenGL so wouldn't help here. You can kinda force triple buffering in Windows 10 by running the game in Borderless Windowed rather than Fullscreen.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU

4k @125% looks gorgeous, but going from 50+fps to 30fps feels pretty bad on M&KB in my opinion. What GPU are you using?

Evergarden

Oct 25, 2017

I have a 2K screen and the game looks rather blurry at that resolution and I'm using %150 in game scaling. Is there something wrong with 2K or is it just my eyes ?

koutoru

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't sure where to put this since we don't have a mod thread yet.

But did some quick testing and texture mods made for the demo and benchmark don't work in the final release.
The quickbms script for model extraction also needs to be changed as well.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
Ever seen a shampoo ads on TV? :P

giphy.gif

Yeah, that shit looks unnatural because it is unnatural, though. It's often accomplished through green screen body suit dudes flipping the hair unnaturally, or by putting the hair on a greenscreened stick. Or through a fan. Either way, it's not really an approximation of 'real' movement in natural conditions, which is why it looks uncanny in a game environment.

GVbAgqf.png

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017

It's one of the biggest reasons why I still game at 1080p. 4k gaming simply isn't there yet (especially if you want to game beyond 60fps). Give me all my frames, dammit!!

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the Turf effect is working for me for sure. I saw some video like below and mine doesn't do anything like that. Does it work for other people? I know it's a small thing but it's nice to have, you know? :P

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
Any comparison shots with the texture pack?
Is it worth downloading if you only play at 1440p?

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that shit looks unnatural because it is unnatural, though. It's often accomplished through green screen body suit dudes flipping the hair unnaturally, or by putting the hair on a greenscreened stick. Or through a fan. Either way, it's not really an approximation of 'real' movement in natural conditions, which is why it looks uncanny in a game environment.

GVbAgqf.png
LOL, first time seeing that.

Btw, the hair physics while walking was toned down in Comrades since the beta, iirc.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can we start a petition to ask to remove the language that we aren't using? All that file duplication is ridiculous :/