• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beelzebufo

Jun 1, 2022
Canada
My only worry from today's info drop is the zones and how they'll be in execution. Watching Xeno 3's direct, I really hope it's more in line with that in terms of size and openness, rather than something like Tales of which feels quite limiting and outdated.

Was pretty disappointed in how small and claustrophobic all of the areas in Arise were, even their big grass field zone felt pretty limiting. Pretty, but limiting.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I'm actually thinking we haven't seen the final, older Clive yet. I can't see any difference in how he looks between the knight outfit and the cover art outfit.

I'm thinking the final Clive might just be for the climax of the game, the same way older Noctis was.
Agree:
  • Cover art Clive looks exactly like knight Clive (he even has his developing facial hair there).
  • We see covert art Clive a lot in both trailers, even in what are likely early-to-mid portions of the game (going by the Eikon roster and levels, if they're accurate).
The fact that Yoshida mentioned this, however, makes me think it won't be a huge twist or something saved for the climax. Then again, XV revealed the older bros months before release and during the game's opening lol.
Nah, someone literally pointed their finger at the character and said "This is Cid", cab't wait to find out they are wrong lol
Lmao that's funny. Can't wait to see my guy, I hope he's related to airships (or regular ships/machinery).

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Yoshi-P said that while they are zones and not an open world, he will be taking elements from western open world rpgs to form these environments. Although its not mentioned, I think the witcher 3 is big influence on this game and so wouldn't be suprised if we have atleast 4 areas akin to that, with small towns littered amongs things like forest areas and a large city in each zone.
Yea, my hope is that even tho it's not OW, the zones are big enough that we could have things like a few towns and different environments in one big interconnected zone, as opposed to having different smaller zones for each town that are separated by a loading/black screen.

I hope they are making this game as seamless as possible even if it's not an open world game.
Was pretty disappointed in how small and claustrophobic all of the areas in Arise were, even their big grass field zone felt pretty limiting. Pretty, but limiting.
Sadly that's been my experience with most Tales of games.

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I am just looking forward to Soken's themes for those zones. They might all have different leitmotifs for their kingdoms and individual eikon bosses.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Yo, we actually saw adult Torgal in the trailer!
OWAoF7l.png

It's during Shiva's attack, where they for sure removed Jill's HUD. This was spotted by Reddit user Noctunal1ion.

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017

I did think what if Joshua just vanished. He took off. Flew away as phoenix and hasn't been seen in 10 years.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Something that I feel went unnoticed:
dengekionline.com

『FF16』召喚獣合戦は毎回ゲームデザインが違う!! 物語や戦闘に迫る吉田直樹プロデューサーインタビュー

2023年夏発売予定のシリーズ最新作『FF16』! PS5で発売される本作の初となる吉田直樹氏プロデューサーインタビューをお届けします。
――In the past "FF", there are some over-technology elements such as the existence of flying boats in spite of being a medieval fantasy, but how about "FF16"?

Yoshida:
There used to be an ultra-over-technology "empty civilization" in Valis Zea. However, there was a big war about 1500 years ago from the stage of the game, and the civilization of the sky collapsed. Today, the ruins remain in various places. From the perspective of people in this world, it seems that the ruins stuck in the ground used to fly in the sky. The current information focuses on natural landscapes with a strong medieval fantasy color, but in future follow-up reports, we will gradually release information about that.
It's an old ass trope, also in FF (a very visual example is the Ivalice games), but I like it, especially that they were a sky civilization. I assume these are the remnants of said people (you can see the same columns in the Ifrit vs Phoenix fight of the first trailer):
Landscapes_of_FFXVI_-_5.png

As well as these ruins in the countryside (also in that new forest screenshot). I guess there are some map icons that could be that, too:
7FTipJq.png

Yoshida's last sentence (bear in mind it's a DeepL translation) makes me wonder if they'll be more than just some lore/story flavour and we'll actually get to see advanced tech in a significant enough manner down the line.

Maybe that's the way airships show up in this game: as remnants of an ancient civilization. Similar to Tactics iirc, what with that graveyard.

Altezein

User requested ban
Banned
Mar 21, 2021
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I'm actually thinking we haven't seen the final, older Clive yet. I can't see any difference in how he looks between the knight outfit and the cover art outfit.
I'm thinking the final Clive might just be for the climax of the game, the same way older Noctis was.
Makes sense for them to save it for a future reveal. Either that or it's very late-game and i'll be an ingame surprise.
It'll probably be all over the deluxe edition artbooks though xD

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
He mentions one of the eikon battles is running in real time over one of the open zones. Man, I want Shiva to create a snow area in this game. Would be so sick.

Cannon_Fodder

Oct 27, 2017
Yo, we actually saw adult Torgal in the trailer!
OWAoF7l.png

It's during Shiva's attack, where they for sure removed Jill's HUD. This was spotted by Reddit user Noctunal1ion.
That's awesome! Kinda funny nobody noticed considered how much that exact image was dissected haha.

I did think what if Joshua just vanished. He took off. Flew away as phoenix and hasn't been seen in 10 years.

"Fuck this shit, I'm out."
- Joshua

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
isn't that shiva's cloak?
Shiva is way bigger and she's in the upper right:
A0HVU9D.jpg

If you mean if it's the Shiva cloak that Clive wears when using her powers... it could be, but he doesn't have Shiva equipped (which might mean that Jill is with him and they simply removed her HUD, as Yoshida confirmed they did some tweaking there to avoid story spoilers).

And, at the same time, it really looks like a wolf lol.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
why did the mods lock my thread that compiled everything but allowed threads on individual features like this https://www.resetera.com/threads/fi...pending-on-where-you-are-in-the-story.598923/

i busted my balls man 😭
A0HVU9D.jpg

If you mean if it's the Shiva cloak that Clive wears when using her powers... it could be, but he doesn't have Shiva equipped (which might mean that Jill is with him and they simply removed her HUD, as Yoshida confirmed they did some tweaking there to avoid story spoilers).

you might be right, i just know clive use her cloak. He said this scene is a mix of combat and drama, so i think there are scripted elements. It's possible I'm still right Clive and Jill are working together to do something about the mothercrystal

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
why did the mods lock my thread that compiled everything but allowed threads on individual features like this https://www.resetera.com/threads/fi...pending-on-where-you-are-in-the-story.598923/

i busted my balls man 😭

you might be right, i just know clive use her cloak. He said this scene is a mix of combat and drama, so i think there are scripted elements. It's possible I'm still right Clive and Jill are working together to do something about the mothercrystal
Yes, I'm more convinced now than ever that those mercenaries Clive is running with are intending to capture Jill, who he has likely not seen for years.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, I'm more convinced now than ever that those mercenaries Clive is running with are intending to capture Jill, who he has likely not seen for years.
>Clive is in the battlefield between Dhalmeks (Titan) and the Iron Kingdom (Shiva)
>Clive is a Sanbreque slave in a suicide mission to get the Shiva dominant
>Shiva turns out to be Jill, naturally I think he's going to find a way to defect with her
>He meets Benedikta and Waloed soldier & fights her Garuda form, they potentially become "allied"
>He goes north to the volcano housing the mothercrystal and does something with it (reclaiming it? Destroying it?)
>Clive goes back to Rosalia and reclaim it, fighting Hugo Kapka and Sanbreque forces along the way

At least I think this is the way it could go for the first 30 levels.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
didn't expect people would still be upset about no party when the interviews says the game is about bonds between people and that you will have friends on your journey.

like, does it matter if they don't stick with you all the way? It's a story that spans 15-20 years, there will be deaths, betrayal and clash of values. Isn't that...good?

Master_Funk

Oct 25, 2017
didn't expect people would still be upset about no party when the interviews says the game is about bonds between people and that you will have friends on your journey.

like, does it matter if they don't stick with you all the way? It's a story that spans 15-20 years, there will be deaths, betrayal and clash of values. Isn't that...good?

Its just interesting that people are coming to parties for very different things than me. For me, the only thing I want from a party is the banter and the relationships. I couldnt care less about controlling them . And this sounds exactly like that.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Generally, the first couple trailers for a game are the most watched/most important so they did drop the ball a bit by not showing the world, towns, and party interactions. Instead they kind of released a redundant second trailer that just showed more Eikons. I get they're the main focus of the plot but people want to see the general flow of things.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
And told in a more serious way, yeah.

It would be really impactful if you felt the betrayal of the king, who's supposed to be like a father figure. Instead of it being so... cartoony.
I could see more of a focus on dialog and cutscenes to flesh out relationships and situations more. For example, in the beginning, instead of rushing through the scenario where Cecil and the Red Wings take Mysidia's crystal, play it all out, everything from Cecil's initial doubts to him and the Baron soldiers storming Mysidia, imprisoning the resisting mages and taking their crystal. Also, as I said in past posts, you can EASILY break older FF maps into separate essential zones.
yxcUV9P.jpg

You cut the glut, the land you don't need to traverse that just adds to the look of the map. You can land there in the game, but it serves no purpose to the story and there are no specific locations on that land (hell, there are parts of those essential zones you could downsize or expand the mountain ranges to trim the fat). Underworld and the Moon? I'd think those zones would be easier to cut up because they are smaller.

Something that I feel went unnoticed:

It's an old ass trope, also in FF (a very visual example is the Ivalice games), but I like it, especially that they were a sky civilization. I assume these are the remnants of said people (you can see the same columns in the Ifrit vs Phoenix fight of the first trailer):
Landscapes_of_FFXVI_-_5.png

As well as these ruins in the countryside (also in that new forest screenshot). I guess there are some map icons that could be that, too:
7FTipJq.png

Yoshida's last sentence (bear in mind it's a DeepL translation) makes me wonder if they'll be more than just some lore/story flavour and we'll actually get to see advanced tech in a significant enough manner down the line.

Maybe that's the way airships show up in this game: as remnants of an ancient civilization. Similar to Tactics iirc, what with that graveyard.
Similar to Tactics, but also that's not unlike FFI and FFV's Lufenians and Ronkans (both super-advanced ancient civilizations with flying structures and the originators of airships in those worlds. It's pretty clear to the guess that if we get an airship in FFXVI, it will be a relic of those ancient people.

Also, those pillars seen in the trailer and in that picture of Clive in the ruins remind me a lot of the pillars in FFIII DS:
latest
latest

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Gotta say that I'm extremely happy with everything that we've learned in these interviews.

- Eikon battles being something unique
- Attacks that serve specific purposes (better at doing stagger or HP damage)
- Hunting monsters as a optional activity
- Being able to craft new weapons/armor
- AI companions and a freaking wolf to whom you can give commands

Right now my main questions are how the world will be structured and if you are going to have a mount for the bigger areas (shame no one asked about this).

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Gotta say that I'm extremely happy with everything that we've learned in these interviews.

Right now my main questions are how the world will be structured and if you are going to have a mount for the bigger areas (shame no one asked about this).
Do you know which interview mentioned the attack purpose thing?

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019

Freeglader

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017

Some so called fans will find something to be unhappy about regardless of the situation. People love to complain on the internet, and as far as video games go, especially concerning Final Fantasy.

Ceravic

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Some so called fans will find something to be unhappy about regardless of the situation. People love to complain on the internet, and as far as video games go, especially concerning Final Fantasy.

I personally can't wait to continue to hear all the reasons this isn't a "real Final Fantasy".

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just happy there IS a party, even if it's AI-controlled. Would've been more bummed if it was just "the adventures of solo Clive". As long as the banter makes it lively, that's all I'm asking for.

Freeglader

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Oh so people can't dislike things now? Wonderful.

I should have specified in my post that I do think it is fine to be critical of a game. I for example am not a fan of XVI's current UI and wish the cast was more racially diverse. However, if you have any experience reading the FF threads around here I think it is clear people too often take their dislike too far to the point of constantly posting complaints about how the game is not what they want. If there is a game that doesn't appeal to my tastes you're not gonna see me going into every thread about it harping on how the game/series is dead to me. I just wish people could be more mature in their discussion, but I suppose the internet will never change

I personally can't wait to continue to hear all the reasons this isn't a "real Final Fantasy".
People have been saying that since at least the transition from VI to VII and unfortunately I'm not expecting folks to stop any time soon lol

At least now we have this lovely Kitase quote from the Famitsu interview to hopefully get it through people's thick skulls that Square Enix decides what Final Fantasy is, not us. This is the single best definition of the franchise I've read in all my years loving this series:

Final Fantasy is just a name stuck to a game that we made thinking, 'This is the best game', and if there is no need to be the successor, then there is no need to flatter the predecessor. If we make a game that we think is the best game, then that makes it 'Final Fantasy'.

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
I should have specified in my post that I do think it is fine to be critical of a game. I for example am not a fan of XVI's current UI and wish the cast was more racially diverse. However, if you have any experience reading the FF threads around here I think it is clear people too often take their dislike too far to the point of constantly posting complaints about how the game is not what they want. If there is a game that doesn't appeal to my tastes you're not gonna see me going into every thread about it harping on how the game is dead to me. I just wish people could be more mature in their discussion, but I suppose the internet will never change
Yes thats not necessary. What are we going to gain from someone complaining and at the end of the day they have no interest in the game nor are going to play it?

Very childish. This is why the ignore feature exist

Ceravic

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I should have specified in my post that I do think it is fine to be critical of a game. I for example am not a fan of XVI's current UI and wish the cast was more racially diverse. However, if you have any experience reading the FF threads around here I think it is clear people too often take their dislike too far to the point of constantly posting complaints about how the game is not what they want. If there is a game that doesn't appeal to my tastes you're not gonna see me going into every thread about it harping on how the game/series is dead to me. I just wish people could be more mature in their discussion, but I suppose the internet will never change

People have been saying that since at least the transition from VI to VII and unfortunately I'm not expecting folks to stop any time soon lol

At least now we have this lovely Kitase quote from the Famitsu interview to hopefully get it through people's thick skulls that Square Enix decides what Final Fantasy is, not us. This is the single best definition of the franchise I've read in all my years loving this series:

Kitase is the man. I can't wait to use that quote the rest of my life as a fan of this franchise.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

To be honest the Eikon thing can go either way. It's cool that they are doing unique design for each encounter, but that could also lead to unpolished and/or confusing experiences, especially if each individual Eikon vs Eikon encounter isn't long enough for you to get used to the gimmick of it.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
To be honest the Eikon thing can go either way. It's cool that they are doing unique design for each encounter, but that could also lead to unpolished and/or confusing experiences, especially if each individual Eikon vs Eikon encounter isn't long enough for you to get used to the gimmick of it.

Yeah but it sounds more exciting than just turn battles at least (which was what I was expecting).

Ideally I wanted to fight as Ifrit like you do with Clive, completely in real-time with normal attacks and skills against other Eikons which would work as the big boss fights in the game (and since you would fight a good amount of them it's not like creating a complete moveset for Ifrit would be waste), but I guess that direction wasn't feasible or maybe they didn't even want to do it like that in the first place.

Hopefully these gimmick fights will be fun, and won't just feel like a big QTE fest.

Cannon_Fodder

Oct 27, 2017
I have a bit of the same concern, but I'm hoping for the best. Specifically, since it sounds like the eikon battles have been part of the concept since the start of development, they will have taken plenty of time to polish them into something that's unique and fun.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but it sounds more exciting than just turn battles at least (which was what I was expecting).

Ideally I wanted to fight as Ifrit like you do with Clive, completely in real-time with normal attacks and skills against other Eikons which would work as the big boss fights in the game (and since you would fight a good amount of them it's not like creating a complete moveset for Ifrit would be waste), but I guess that direction wasn't feasible or maybe they didn't even want to do it like that in the first place.

Hopefully these gimmick fights will be fun, and won't just feel like a big QTE fest.
Yea, I'm with you on it being better than turn battles which was my assumption as well. Nothing wrong with turn battles, but with the crazy presentation of these fights in the last trailer, I wanted them to be more involved than just being command based which thankfully seems to be the case.

Even if they do turn out to be QTE focused, as long as they do them right and have the right presentation, they could still turn out to be really fun. Asura's Wrath writes the book on making hype as fuck QTE battles, and I definitely wouldn't mind them doing it if it's as good as that game, especially with the production values that FF XVI has.
I have a bit of the same concern, but I'm hoping for the best. Specifically, since it sounds like the eikon battles have been part of the concept since the start of development, they will have taken plenty of time to polish them into something that's unique and fun.
I hope we get to see a big chunk of an Eikon vs Eikon fight before release to get a better idea on the flow of these battles and how involved they could be. With how much they were focusing on it in the last trailer (and in these interviews), I imagine they probably have different phases for each Eikon fight so it could be nice to get to see at least the entirety of one or two phase of a fight to get a feel for it.

Master_Funk

Oct 25, 2017
I hope we get to see a big chunk of an Eikon vs Eikon fight before release to get a better idea on the flow of these battles and how involved they could be. With how much they were focusing on it in the last trailer (and in these interviews), I imagine they probably have different phases for each Eikon fight so it could be nice to get to see at least the entirety of one or two phase of a fight to get a feel for it.

The thing is, if they are all unique, they probably dont want to show too much of an eikon v eikon fight.

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019

I feel similarly. It's wild how people will legit sit in threads just spewing negativity about a game, an album, a movie, whatever. I can understand a post or two voicing your displeasure/concern, but to be in a thread for a game you think looks shitty just constantly talking about how shitty it looks...

Anyway, yeah, that Kitase quote is great. I also loved Nomura telling Yoshi P to do whatever he wants. Don't feel a reason to be restricted by the past or the future of the franchise, do what you believe to be the best for your game.

Cannon_Fodder

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'd love to see at least part of an eikon fight pre-release. Maybe show phase 1 and 2, then do a dramatic cut before phase 3 to keep some of the surprise alive.

Lengualo

May 14, 2022
UK/Mexico

How about those of us who are totally down for them changing things up (bring ARPG's on, they've been slow out the gate with that one), and evolving the series to keep it fresh; but feel like they're dropping the ball? Are we allowed to say that? Or do we stop being fans and need to not comment on the series anymore?

I mean, it doesn't and never should, work like that. There isn't some weird obligation for fans to think every decision they make is an awesome idea. I think moving further into action RPG territory is a great idea, but dropping the playable group is a sad regression that is more financially lead than anything else - afterall creating a battle system akin to the good Tales games with SE production values is expensive. I also think giving us a white dude with a sword who appears to be on some kind of revenge mission as our playable character is the antithesis to developing a series into something new and fresh. It's about as uninspired as it gets.

Last edited:

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019
How about those of us who are totally down for them changing things up (bring ARPG's on, they've been slow out the gate with that one), and evolving the series to keep it fresh; but feel like they're dropping the ball? Are we allowed to say that? Or do we stop being fans and need to not comment on the series anymore?

I mean, it doesn't and never should, work like that. There isn't some weird obligation for fans to think every decision they make is an awesome idea. I think moving further into action RPG territory is a great idea, but dropping the playable group is a sad regression that is more financially lead than anything else - afterall creating a battle system akin to the good Tales games with SE production values is expensive. I also think giving us a white dude with a sword who appears to be on some kind of revenge mission as our playable character is the antithesis to developing a series into something new and fresh. It's about as uninspired as it gets.
Pretty clear the person you're quoting is talking about the people going into every thread about the game talking about how shit it looks or how FF isn't for them in every single thread. Which is definitely happening. Those people have the right to do that and OP has the right to think that shit is annoying as fuck.

Lengualo

May 14, 2022
UK/Mexico
Pretty clear the person you're quoting is talking about the people going into every thread about the game talking about how shit it looks or how FF isn't for them in every single thread. Which is definitely happening. Those people have the right to do that and OP has the right to think that shit is annoying as fuck.

Right, but blind devotion is just the other side of the same coin.

What I have a problem with though, is the idea that SE is evolving the series and taking risks. I look at FFXVI and see one of the most risk averse evolutions of FF possible. It's changing its battle system to cookie cutter WRPG fare - I don't have enough hands and feet to count how many single character action RPG's with AI temporary companions we have out there, multi character action RPG's are much thinner on the ground because they're harder. And giving us the most generic protagonist possible, another white dude with a sword.

How is that taking risks, being innovative or fresh? What are the odds of Clive being a character who takes big risks and is innovative?

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
A0HVU9D.jpg

Oh shit, I see it now. That's definitely a wolf there lol.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017

What I have a problem with though, is the idea that SE is evolving the series and taking risks. I look at FFXVI and see one of the most risk averse evolutions of FF possible. It's changing its battle system to cookie cutter WRPG fare - I don't have enough hands and feet to count how many single character action RPG's with AI temporary companions we have out there, multi character action RPG's are much thinner on the ground because they're harder. And giving us the most generic protagonist possible, another white dude with a sword.

How is that taking risks, being innovative or fresh? What are the odds of Clive being a character who takes big risks and is innovative?

You can't qualify any of this.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

I'd like you to recommend me any WRPG games with combat anywhere close to DMC, because apparently I'm missing out

Status
Not open for further replies.