• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 31, 2017
So the composer for this is Soken right?

So lemme just say that I only like music that is dramatic/bombastic

I've said this before, but I've skimmed through a decent amount of XIV tracks (probably nowhere near all of them... aren't there 400+?, and I wasn't impressed at all. I absolutely hate any of the rock vocal tracks, and I feel like most tracks aren't orchestrated (makes sense considering that it's an MMO).

However...

THIS track sounds amazing 😊 and I know XIV has numerous composers but this is definitely from Soken lol

Do y'all have any other examples of music composed by him that's orchestrated and dramatic/bombastic?? I want to be excited about the music for this game

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I love that main character design. They really are leaning in with the GoT influences with the world set up.

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
I get why people make these references as GoT is huge, but like...these things existed as far back as tactics and other books, GoT didn't "invent" house wars lol.
The Iron Kingdom being an island country of cruel extremist outcasts who call themselves "Ironblood" seems like a very explicit GOT reference though. Naoki Yoshida mentioned multiple times that he is a fan of the show, so i personally wouldn't completely dismiss that connection.

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the redacted part on Sanbreque and Waloed are too long for Shiva and Odin
I don't think that means anything honestly. They just don't want us to know the name of them currently.

My first thought was Ramuh and Ixion, respectively, just going by the crests. But that would be double lightning summons, and doesn't account for Shiva, so probably not. Also the crests don't fit quite as well as I thought they did on first glance anyway. Still fun to speculate though.

Doomtrain dominant when

Canas Renvall

Mar 4, 2018
People making fun of the name are being ridiculous, lol.

The team in FFII, Firion is arguably one of the few non-normal names. Other party members include Maria, Richard, Leon, and... Guy.

Do people make fun of Cecil Harvey? Rosa Farrell? Hell, this game has two Edwards in your party.

Cid Pollendina? Cid Highwind?

Zidane is a real name, in fact one of the most famous soccer players alive is Zinedine Zidane.

Lightning's real name is Claire Farron, by the way. Lightning is a nickname. Speaking of normal names, we also have Serah and Noel. Even Hope is a normal name.

Terra's name in Japanese is Tina. Tina! I have a cousin named Tina for Christ's sake, haha. Not to mention names like Edgar.

Were people annoyed when the exotic bunny lady in XII was named Fran of all names?

Clive Rosfield and Jill Warrick fit into FF a lot more than a lot of people are willing to admit.

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Clive Rosfield is not really what I expected a final fantasy character to be called lol.
It's not bad by any stretch, in fact I actually like it since it reminds me a bit of the naming in the older FF games. It just seems kinda off-brand for modern FF.

That being said, young Clive definitely doesn't look a 15 year old. He looks 19 at least. Same with Jill who also definitely doesn't look like a 12 year old. I can sorta buy Joshua being 10 though. He clearly looks younger than the other two.

I've said this before, but I've skimmed through a decent amount of XIV tracks (probably nowhere near all of them... aren't there 400+?, and I wasn't impressed at all. I absolutely hate any of the rock vocal tracks, and I feel like most tracks aren't orchestrated (makes sense considering that it's an MMO).

However...

THIS track sounds amazing 😊 and I know XIV has numerous composers but this is definitely from Soken lol

Do y'all have any other examples of music composed by him that's orchestrated and dramatic/bombastic?? I want to be excited about the music for this game

There's some good tracks in 14 like that such as The Maker's Ruin (Ultima Weapon's theme).

You might also like the theme for Phases 2 and 3 for the Final Steps of Faith (Freefall and Revenge of the horde).
Warning though, Massive heavensward spoilers in this video.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Clive Uchiha must get revenge for the destruction of his clan by taking in cursed power

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Its funny the Naruto comparison considering Naruto was inspired by FFVII in some ways.

Oct 27, 2017
The question is who is Clive?

Naruto? Sasuke? Kakashi?

I'll take a rip off if it's from a different perspective.

Hopefully not Sasuke...Although if he is, I look forward to this moment at the end when he's done with his revenge and gone all Cecil Dark Knight -> Paladin
OK6W_koKDTOqqqLDbIoPArqBBaZp5O5jbxdlCgS0WW0

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Its funny the Naruto comparison considering Naruto was inspired by FFVII in some ways.
There's so many stories with monster possessions and them used as power. Naruto being big for a time with how badly written it is is pretty sad. Well could be worse, it could be Bleach.

Oct 27, 2017
There's so many stories with monster possessions and them used as power. Naruto being big for a time with how badly written it is is pretty sad. Well could be worse, it could be Bleach.
It was really the fact that each nation has one and they're held in different esteem that reminded me. Although it's ironic the most Sasuke looking character was Noctis in the previous game, who even had the 4th Hokage's teleportation jutsu

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
while a interesting theory I don't think it holds too much weight since Clive obviously wants to kill someone/something for ripping Joshua apart and I'm sure that's going to be the central antagonist. Having Ifrit's powers wouldn't make sense unless he wants to die himself.
My theory doesn't erase the fact Clive wants to kill someone/something. He wants to kill Ifrit, but in my theory, he is Ifrit's Dominant, so that's a trickier situation. That's also not saying there won't be other "villains" in the game. There WILL be villains whose motives allow Clive to shift direction towards them. Perhaps, in the end, his end goal to stop Ifrit goes hand in hand with stopping the other villains, by finding a means to strike an "end" to the crystals. Revenge isn't only about setting your sights on a specific target of vengeance, it's the drive that pushes you to see it through till the end.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
It was really the fact that each nation has one and they're held in different esteem that reminded me. Although it's ironic the most Sasuke looking character was Noctis in the previous game, who even had the 4th Hokage's teleportation jutsu
He was supposed to be Sasuke, then he was supposed to not really be Sasuke, then he ended up being whatever he was in XV hahaha.

But yeah like you mentioned, Clive is an avenger so he's Sasuke.

TheRealMoB

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 1, 2020
Everything so far seems to suggest that Dominants have control though. We hear his voice saying to stop when Ifrit was killing Phoenix.

I dont think Clive is on camera when you hear his voice though in that scene. They could have just took the VA from another scene and put it over that clip for the trailer

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Ive been thinking today. Clives character description describes the Ducal tournament. Clive wins this tournament at the age of 15 and becomes the first shield of rosaria

So. What if this tournament is in the prologue ? What if it is similar to the festival of the hunt from IX but expanded.

1. A chocobo race from point A to point B
2. Fighting a Marlboro creature.
3. Fighting a Behemoth or something.

Then you become the shield before the conflict

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Hmmm, seen a theory elsewhere that Jill post timeskip is the lady next to the Regis looking dude in the trailer. Hell, by her character description it seems likely but I'm not even convinced this character is a woman yet because it looks a lot like a guy.

For reference it's this character

e0tdkimul3w51.png

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm, seen a theory elsewhere that Jill post timeskip is the lady next to the Regis looking dude in the trailer. Hell, by her character description it seems likely but I'm not even convinced this character is a woman yet because it looks a lot like a guy.

e0tdkimul3w51.png
that scene seems to be pre timeskip considering its timing in the trailer is squeezed between the meeting of the three main characters and the invasion. Doesn't really look like Jill at all. I'd be surprised if Clive's father (which I think is man in chair) even survives.

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
I still stand firm in my speculation the center of the Crystalline Dominion, the palace cluster of domed towers and pointed spires, looks like Alexander, and the giant crystal tower rising from the center gives me BOTH Alexandria vibes (FFIX) and Tower of Babil vibes (FFIV), and both of those locations were "connected" to Alexander (in FFIV, the Tower of Babil summons the Giant of Babil, whose concept art was the basis for Alexander.

Taht big crystal behind the Crystalline Dominion also reminds me of a GIANT version of FFIX's "First Crystal".

After seeing this artwork and knowing a little more about the characters and Dominants, I'm wondering about that as well. A theory I cooked up, but might be far out there... is that Clive WAS born a Dominant, but not the Dominant of Phoenix. Clive is the Dominant of Ifrit. He has no control when Ifrit is summoned and has to witness it, firsthand, killing Joshua. He vows never to summon Ifrit again and seeks out a means to destroy the crystals, which act as a means to keep Dominants enslaved to the Ekons within them. Other Dominants give him their blessing (thus their powers to use) and aid him because they also wish to free themselves of this "cursed life". Of course, there are some Dominants that don't see it as a curse and fight to stop him and his allies. Eventually, Clive comes to understand his connection to Ifrit can be used as a means to an end and taps into a bit of this dark ability to aid him further into his quest.
Great theory!

Oct 31, 2017
Clive Rosfield is not really what I expected a final fantasy character to be called lol.
It's not bad by any stretch, in fact I actually like it since it reminds me a bit of the naming in the older FF games. It just seems kinda off-brand for modern FF.

That being said, young Clive definitely doesn't look a 15 year old. He looks 19 at least. Same with Jill who also definitely doesn't look like a 12 year old. I can sorta buy Joshua being 10 though. He clearly looks younger than the other two.

There's some good tracks in 14 like that such as The Maker's Ruin (Ultima Weapon's theme).

You might also like the theme for Phases 2 and 3 for the Final Steps of Faith (Freefall and Revenge of the horde).
Warning though, Massive heavensward spoilers in this video.

Wtf I literally love all of these tracks (Except the Knights of the Round one) thank y'all <333 exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
that scene seems to be pre timeskip considering its timing in the trailer is squeezed between the meeting of the three main characters and the invasion. Doesn't really look like Jill at all. I'd be surprised if Clive's father (which I think is man in chair) even survives.

It's very possible even that the man in the chair -- the possible Archduke -- is also the man beheaded in front of Joshua, triggering his transformation via trauma. The two look a lot alike.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
while a interesting theory I don't think it holds too much weight since Clive obviously wants to kill someone/something for ripping Joshua apart and I'm sure that's going to be the central antagonist. Having Ifrit's powers wouldn't make sense unless he wants to die himself.

I think his motivation is probably broader than just revenge for Joshua. Their father is killed and the Duchy is conquered. If he's Ifrit's dominant, but doesn't realize it, he could be made to summon Ifrit through some magic. Assuming all the witnesses die, the invaders might actually do this and the entire event on Clive going insane and killing everyone, allowing the invaders to claim vacant land.

Wait do the Dominants summon the Eikons as separate beings to themselves? For some reason I was assuming they literally transform into the Eikons. Which is why I loved the idea that smokey lady was Titan's Dominant.

I think all Dominants transform themselves. The info on the sight supports this. Even Titan it sounds like is probably raised to be a republic advisor as soon as the ability manifests. (Must be an interesting childhood!)

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
My prediction (and just know that this is my own personal conjecture, i know as much as anyone else at this point):

Plot twist later in the game is that Clive is the one who killed Joshua. He transformed into Ifrit and tore him to pieces.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Jill is taken in as a ward to secure peace between two warring nations (her nation seems to have "fallen" possibly to the "blight") so I'm assuming political marriage to one of the sons (probably Joshua as he inherited the Phoenix). She is most likely a Dominant if she was the child of her nation's nobility and she gives me Shiva vibes tbh. I could see an older version of her match up a bit with the Shiva we see in the trailer and her jewelry even looks a little similar.

So is this confirmed for PC or nah.

The PS5 showcase trailer was footage running on PC so there is a very big chance it will come, probably a year after PS5 release.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
The Iron Kingdom being an island country of cruel extremist outcasts who call themselves "Ironblood" seems like a very explicit GOT reference though. Naoki Yoshida mentioned multiple times that he is a fan of the show, so i personally wouldn't completely dismiss that connection.
Nah I'm not dismissing it entirely. Just saying that "there's house/banner wars therefore it's GoT" is a bit over simplifying the tropes and story telling methods that are in the fantasy genre and have existed long before GoT popularized them.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, this theory is assuming Jill is Shiva's Dominant, but if so: I think there's no way Duke Rosfield doesn't know and that's the actual reason she's adopted. Especially if he knows one of his sons has Ifrit and it's believed that Ifrit is not articulately dangerous. Nothing quells fire like ice.

Plot twist later in the game is that Clive is the one who killed Joshua. He transformed into Ifrit and tore him to pieces.

Yeah, see I dont even think that's going to be a twist. He'll be forced to do it athen have to clear his name. Or maybe he won't be forced and Ifrit is just liable to go berserk when he's active.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

e0tdkimul3w51.png

Yeah, I think that's Jill and this is shortly before she and blonde lady have their Shiva vs. Titan showdown.

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
So this is probably a dumb question but with the crystal mountains refferered to as Drakes. Are they implying that an Eikon or something gifted the crystals to the world or that the planet itself is a eikon gifting the crystals?
....or neither I guess lol

Piecake

Oct 27, 2017
I personally like Soken's Shadowbringers work a lot more than his other songs, though I have a feeling that disc 2 might disagree if he is looking for the orchestra feel.

Freeglader

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017

However...

Shinryu's theme is definitely one of my favorites! Here are a couple more great tracks you might enjoy:
Heavensward Boss Theme #2 "Revenge Twofold"

Shadowbringers Final Boss Theme

Last edited:

Freeglader

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
I think the fact that Jill comes from the fallen Northern Territories lends more credence to the speculation that she is Shiva's dominant. I assume the Northern Territories are a cold/snowy area.

The other intriguing thing is that both Rosaria and the Iron Kingdom seem to share a Mothercrystal. Since the Iron Kingdom executes their dominants I wonder if that means there are multiple dominants for a single Mothercrystal.

I also still wonder how Garuda fits into all this.