Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that the logo is Phoenix fighting Ifrit means that Joshua lives or Phoenix is transferred to Clive and he goes on to fight whoever Ifrit is.

Its also possible that they thought Joshua inherited Phoenix when in fact he inherited Ifrit and goes berserk at some point during the invasion, destroys everything, reverts back to human unconscious and is picked up by the enemy to be turned into a human weapon. Clive inherited Phoenix all along and got his ass beat by baby brother. He feels responsible for ending what he thinks is too dangerous a being and I bet he's now discriminant against Eikons and Dominants and however that ties into the Crystals which is why we get those lines from him.

Clive is even with a group whose goal is to kill Shiva at the start of the trailer.

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
If someone's not impressed with Soken's work for FFXIV, you've probably not looked hard enough. He's got a lot of good shit for every type of music the series is known for.

Also, the water city inside the Crystalline Dominion seems like the perfect kind of place for ray-traced reflections. Just begging for it.

50542209717_17903636c7_o.png

That's some amazing concept art. Sure as hell has Altissia vibes (though that at the time blew my mind). I hope it doesn't disappoint the same way.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Unless they're pulling a switcharoo Joshua is phoenix. The site clearly states it and you can hear Clive yell stop, it's my little brother during the Ifrit ripping Phoenix apart scene in the JP trailer.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that the logo is Phoenix fighting Ifrit means that Joshua lives or Phoenix is transferred to Clive and he goes on to fight whoever Ifrit is.

Its also possible that they thought Joshua inherited Phoenix when in fact he inherited Ifrit and goes berserk at some point during the invasion, destroys everything, reverts back to human unconscious and is picked up by the enemy to be turned into a human weapon. Clive inherited Phoenix all along and got his ass beat by baby brother. He feels responsible for ending what he thinks is too dangerous a being and I bet he's now discriminant against Eikons and Dominants and however that ties into the Crystals which is why we get those lines from him.

Clive is even with a group whose goal is to kill Shiva at the start of the trailer.

If Shiva is really Jill then things will get interesting. I can already see a party forming.

Freeglader

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
If you zoom in the map you can see red dashed lines, which seem to be the borders of each nation. The Crystalline Dominion has an odd shape, but seems to share a border with most of the other nations. This makes a lot of sense considering what the Dominion is.

I wonder what the dark spots on the map mean. I bet the large dark area on the northernmost part of the western continent are the fallen Northern Territories that Jill comes from.

Edit: I just came up with one theory that maybe the dark areas of the map are places that are not blessed with the light of a Mothercrystal, meaning they might not have any aether. Or maybe it just has something to do with the blight.

Last edited:

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
If you zoom in the map you can see red dashed lines, which seem to be the borders of each nation. The Crystalline Dominion has an odd shape, but seems to share a border with most of the other nations. This makes a lot of sense considering what the Dominion is.

I wonder what the dark spots on the map mean. I bet the large dark area on the northernmost part of the western continent are the fallen Northern Territories that Jill comes from.

Edit: I just came up with one theory that maybe the dark areas of the map are places that are not blessed with the light of a Mothercrystal, meaning they might not have any aether. Or maybe it just has something to do with the blight.

Thry could be blightlands, yeah. There should be areas with beastmen as well.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
By far the most interesting info:

19cb2dbfbc61bd306.png

29ad78ca0076520b8.png
Ok so 4 of of the 5 main nations have an eikon controlled by a host known as dominants, i assume that dominants act as a sort of WMD in each kingdoms arsenal, meanwhile the crystalline dominion is Switzerland? Neutral territory where all nations citizens can come and pilgrimages to the biggest of all moth crystals, interesting.

You know what i hated about FFXV, one of the issues were how there were so many Kingdoms introduced in the FFXV lore like tenebrie etc. but we barely get to visit any of them or only visit a small condensed linear portion of it, i hope that all 6 locations are fully fleshed out cities that Clive and the party can freely travel to and explore, shop, fight, enjoy etc. instead of a vast open world feild like FFXV.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think the villain will be rogue organization that want to gather all Eikon from these other nations and combine them to recreate Bahamut and the main villain want to be Bahamut's Dominant to control all mother crystal

And I think the rogue organization is going to be financed by the "neutral" middle nation that pretends to be above all the Dominants' struggles but really just wants to own all of them.

I don't think Bahamut will be the main villain again. Not after XIV and XV.

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
And I think the rogue organization is going to be financed by the "neutral" middle nation that pretends to be above all the Dominants' struggles but really just wants to own all of them.

I don't think Bahamut will be the main villain again. Not after XIV and XV.
Was Bahamut really the main A in XV? XV was so muddled that there was no A besides Ardyn. XV is a whole thing by itself that wanted to be cool but fucked up everything around it to be cool.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
I'm guessing whichever Kingdoms has the the Eikon of Ifrit decides to finally use thier dominant to enact thier world domination plan and decides to strike the MC's kingdom first, killing Joshua the MC kingdoms main weapon since their dominant is just a child therefore considered to be an easy target and a stepping stone to their main goal, once Joshua dies the enemy dominant lays waste to the MC kingdom and the MC and a few others barely manage to escape, Clive develops a thirst for vengeance thats targeted not only on the enemy dominant but ALL dominants considering them to be nothing but nightmares that need to be brought down.

Several years later Clive decides to use his sword skills to survive and joins a mercenary group shown at the start of the announcement trailer, and im guessing the merc groups main goal is hunting down and killing dominants? maybe they consider dominants and eikons to be too much of a threat to the world, therefore having goals align with the MC, Clive works with the mercs while also having another goal, finding the dominant that killed his brother.

That's my jist on what the story could be.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Was Bahamut really the main A in XV? XV was so muddled that there was no A besides Ardyn. XV is a whole thing by itself that wanted to be cool but fucked up everything around it to be cool.

That was the plan for the "final ending" all the DLCs were working toward, yeah. Bahamut decided the best way to protect Eos was to purge all life from the planet and start over. It was also his fault Ardyn went insane in the first place.

Ewaan

Corrupted by Vengeance
May 29, 2020
Motherwell, Scotland
The question is who is Clive?

Naruto? Sasuke? Kakashi?

I'll take a rip off if it's from a different perspective.

I have a feeling that Clive would be more aligned with the goals of Akatsuki. I have a feeling that he will go around, 'collecting' or perhaps recruiting, dominants and this is why he can use their abilities similar to how he has the ability to use Pheonix's abilities when he is Joshua's shield. So in the comparison to Naruto, he'll be going to collect the dominant's powers similar to how Akatsuki collected the Jinchuriki.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing whichever Kingdoms has the the Eikon of Ifrit decides to finally use thier dominant to enact thier world domination plan and decides to strike the MC's kingdom first, killing Joshua the MC kingdoms main weapon since their dominant is just a child therefore considered to be an easy target and a stepping stone to their main goal, once Joshua dies the enemy dominant lays waste to the MC kingdom and the MC and a few others barely manage to escape, Clive develops a thirst for vengeance thats targeted not only on the enemy dominant but ALL dominants considering them to be nothing but nightmares that need to be brought down.

Several years later Clive decides to use his sword skills to survive and joins a mercenary group shown at the start of the announcement trailer, and im guessing the merc groups main goal is hunting down and killing dominants? maybe they consider dominants and eikons to be too much of a threat to the world, therefore having goals align with the MC, Clive works with the mercs while also having another goal, finding the dominant that killed his brother.

Maybe the Mercs are from the Iron Islands

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
That was the plan for the "final ending" all the DLCs were working toward, yeah. Bahamut decided the best way to protect Eos was to purge all life from the planet and start over. It was also his fault Ardyn went insane in the first place.

ehhh not quite. The cancelled DLCs that got turned into the Dawn of the Future novel are alternate universes/endings, not something building up to Bahamut wanting to purge the earth. It's billed as an "alternate grand finale" specifically.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I assume the grayed out areas are zones fallen to the Blight?
The entire northern Storm is like that, and according to Jill's bio that's where she's from.

So it seems like some sort of physical thing that is eating away the land, forcing the nations to go to war to enter in possession of more land and resources.

Lots of geopolitical implications in this.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
He was supposed to be Sasuke, then he was supposed to not really be Sasuke, then he ended up being whatever he was in XV hahaha.

But yeah like you mentioned, Clive is an avenger so he's Sasuke.
Noctis was always meant to be a dork. Even Nomura mentioned that he was the type of guy who was acting all cool with his friends but completely unsure how to talk to women if I remember correctly. So personality wise he didn't change much.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
ehhh not quite. The cancelled DLCs that got turned into the Dawn of the Future novel are alternate universes/endings, not something building up to Bahamut wanting to purge the earth. It's billed as an "alternate grand finale" specifically.
Alternate universe or not, Bahamut in XV was a total jerk and screwed over so many people.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
really glad we have a new character artist on a mainline game

i really like Kazuya Takahashi's concept art for XIV

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

When he finds Shiva's dominant he will discover it is Jill, his almost sister, and hesitates to do so.

I assume the grayed out areas are zones fallen to the Blight?

The entire northern Storm is like that, and according to Jill's bio that's where she's from.

So it seems like some sort of physical thing that is eating away the land, forcing the nations to go to war to enter in possession of more land and resources.

Lots of geopolitical implications in this.

I think so. If you look at the East continent and how much of it is darkened, you would understand why they're looking to conquer other territories.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I think he is branded. He didn't join a merc group, he is forced to be a part of this group. The mark on his face is preventing him from disobeying orders.
I think Clive has been captured and enslaved.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I think the redacted part on Sanbreque and Waloed are too long for Shiva and Odin
Yeah I don't think that's a good line of thinking to go down given they're redacted for a reason. That would be mighty weird to redact in a way where the length of it would be another confirmation marker.
----
I'll be mighty surprised if Waloed the war focused nation with a multi legged horse on their flag doesn't have the Odin dominant. I mean Rosaria also has straight up phoenix on their flag. I think Sanbreque might have more than 1 dominant.
-----
What are the chances that Jill is the Shiva dominant? She was taken from the northern territories and Sanbreque is in the northern part of the world map. If she is it gives the starting scene of the trailer a different context too with Clive's mission being killing her.
----

9Rzr6wS.jpg

Gave coloring in the nation borders and territories a try. No idea what that long stretch of land is that touches on the crystal dominion maybe it's part of the dominion. Also had to guess on the border bit between Rosalia and Dhalmekian Republic which looks like mountains but didn't have a drawn border.
All darker land seems to be unclaimed.

Last edited:

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Noctis was always meant to be a dork. Even Nomura mentioned that he was the type of guy who was acting all cool with his friends but completely unsure how to talk to women if I remember correctly. So personality wise he didn't change much.
What you're talking about is what I meant in the part of my post where I said "not really Sasuke". He was gonna be cold at first, then an insecure kid acting though. Then we got the shitty char in a shitty game aka XV.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Watching the trailer again, I'm pretty sure the woman smoking is Titans dominant. What's really interesting is she seems to be unwilling to fight for them. That's what the older man is upset about, to which she replies it was the republic that fought back "the crusaders", implying that their military is strong enough without an Eikon. Very interesting.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Yeah I don't think that's a good line of thinking to go down given they're redacted for a reason. That would be mighty weird to redact in a way where the length of it would be another confirmation marker.
----
I'll be mighty surprised if Waloed the war focused nation with a multi legged horse on their flag doesn't have the Odin dominant. I mean Rosaria also has straight up phoenix on their flag. I think Sanbreque might have more than 1 dominant.
-----
What are the chances that Jill is the Shiva dominant? She was taken from the northern territories and Sanbreque is in the northern part of the world map. If she is it gives the starting scene of the trailer a different context too with Clive's mission being killing her.
----

9Rzr6wS.jpg

Gave coloring in the nation borders and territories a try. No idea what that long stretch of land is that touches on the crystal dominion maybe it's part of the dominion. Also had to guess on the border bit between Rosalia and Dhalmekian Republic which looks like mountains but didn't have a drawn border.
All darker land seems to be unclaimed.
Good job with the colouring. Like others, I think the darkened parts are indeed affected by the Blight, being Stygian lands (as called in some localizations). Fits Jill's Northern Territories having fallen. I also think she's Shiva's Dominant (which would make Clive's potentially unbreakable oath to kill her more dramatic).

I sure hope as hell we're getting to explore a good chunk of what's presented. It's not going to be open-world (and I honestly don't want that), but give me large stretches separated by mountains and stuff like that. Basically zones with more organic borders. You even have towns beyond the big cities. Hell, maybe don't make the Blight areas explorable (which would take a big load off the second continent).

Then again, I also remember this:
FFXVMap2-1024x574.png

Like, perhaps I never expected to be able to explore it all, but being confined to the northeastern land wasn't something I wanted either.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting that Waloed is being described as the warring nation when the trailer shows us Sanbreque being an aggressor against Rosalia(the dragoon) and them being the opposing party against the Dhalmekian Republique (Shiva/Titan battle).
Because of the trailer I think it's likely Rosalia might just fall early on? Maybe that forces Clive to move to the Iron Kingdom and the Kingdom is using Rosalian refugees for their agenda.
Given the Iron Kingdom is described as a nation viewing dominants as an abominations makes me think the group Clive is part of at the start of the trailer is the Iron Kingdom 3rd party intervening in the wars just to kill the dominants maybe. Them singling out Shiva though and not also try for Titan might go against this though.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Clive is gonna be like Velvet from Tales of Berseria they even look similar with the demon arm

Spirited

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
The concept art and key art is sooooo beautiful! Can't wait to actually get to play this game, have a lot of faith in the FFXIV team!

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If someone's not impressed with Soken's work for FFXIV, you've probably not looked hard enough. He's got a lot of good shit for every type of music the series is known for.

Also, the water city inside the Crystalline Dominion seems like the perfect kind of place for ray-traced reflections. Just begging for it.

50542209717_17903636c7_o.png

That's some amazing concept art. Sure as hell has Altissia vibes (though that at the time blew my mind). I hope it doesn't disappoint the same way.
please please please please please let this city be explorable.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
My prediction (and just know that this is my own personal conjecture, i know as much as anyone else at this point):

Plot twist later in the game is that Clive is the one who killed Joshua. He transformed into Ifrit and tore him to pieces.
I keep thinking Clive will somehow with all the revenge transform into Bahamut or Diablos. With his dark brutal theme going on when he is older. I bet he uses all the summons as we see in the trailer, their powers. And eventually, he somehow makes a pact to be the dominent of Bahamut or Diablos. Wouldn't be shocked if it goes like this.