shodgson8

Shinra Employee
Aug 22, 2018
No idea what I am going wrong but that phase where Leviathan is shielded and charging up an attack feels impossible to me, even getting super optimal with it I still feel a few hits off.

FatCatSings

Jan 31, 2023
No idea what I am going wrong but that phase where Leviathan is shielded and charging up an attack feels impossible to me, even getting super optimal with it I still feel a few hits off.
Fire off the laser move as soon as you gain control and then make sure you're doing precision Brimstones. Keep those moves on cooldown, you should be able to fit in 3 of them during the phase. Then spam Backdraft combos on repeat until your abilities are available again. Square x4 and triangle twice.

It's very tight but doable.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
The only weapon that doesn't show up in the final game at all is Titan's mace. All of the others do appear in some form, they just aren't always usable by Clive.

Shiva's greatsword is used by the Timekeeper, for example.

Yeah.

Plus concept art doesn't always line up with the final product. The decision to not have Clive gain weapons for every Eikon would have been made very early, and the most reasonable assumption would be to lighten the workload. Movesets are some of the most difficult things to develop.

Geldboom

Oct 28, 2017
I'm having a lot of fun in the Kairos gate but man, I wish it had more stages or more bosses.
A bossrush mode with every boss in the game would've been perfect.

I don't want to redo a whole stage just to fight 1 specific boss.

Nah the upgrades for it I think is from the Kairos gate.
Ah shame, thanks.

shodgson8

Shinra Employee
Aug 22, 2018
Fire off the laser move as soon as you gain control and then make sure you're doing precision Brimstones. Keep those moves on cooldown, you should be able to fit in 3 of them during the phase. Then spam Backdraft combos on repeat until your abilities are available again. Square x4 and triangle twice.

It's very tight but doable.

Thanks a lot! I just about managed it (but it sure felt tight). I honestly struggled with that single phase more than anything else I ran into in the game.

Finished off the fight. Certainly felt a bit more difficult than anything else I played.

The main story element here was admittedly a little shorter than I had hoped. I seem to have unlocked some extra side quests now.

It's definitely more FF16…for better or worse. I rather enjoyed the base game but had hope for a slightly more interesting DLC (especially from this second part). Intermission for FF7 Remake was miles more interesting in terms of new mechanics etc.

Last edited:

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Do you get exp for doing Kairos gate?

Surprised I finished the DLC at level 52, was kinda hoping I'd get closer to 60.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I forgot how good it feels to ride a chocobo in this game. I don't understand why it controls so terribly in Rebirth. Like it's on rails.

ChocoBuddy

Banned
Apr 9, 2024
I forgot how good it feels to ride a chocobo in this game. I don't understand why it controls so terribly in Rebirth. Like it's on rails.

I had the same thought. XVI's running, jumping, drifting feels so fucking good.

Rebirth's is definitely more on rails. It feels odd not being to jump and glide on the Rebirth chocobo's when I want.

Dreamboum

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I decided to do the final boss of the dungeon and the eikon fight in FF mode, no items and no checkpoints, gotta restart from the start

thefinal dungeon boss took me seven hours
I still haven't beat the eikon fight after 10 hours
that's all i wanted, i'm gonna LEARN

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
Rebirth Chocobos feels great when doing the races, not in the open world.

Weird.

Also Timekeeper wips, they basically gave us a Shiva Eikon fight by way of Shiva and Odin mixed with Noctis.

FatCatSings

Jan 31, 2023
Also Timekeeper wips, they basically gave us a Shiva Eikon fight by way of Shiva and Odin mixed with Noctis.
Timekeeper is what I was hoping the Odin fight would be like. I enjoyed Odin but this shit is my jam. His combo chains were genuinely interesting to learn, dodge and parry.

If CBU3 builds upon this foundation, they could really create some gems in the action genre. XVI feels so good to play.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Between Lv.4 Abyssal Tear and Lv.5 Zantetsuken there's now two "just delete every enemy from the screen" attacks lol. I don't mind.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Holy crap Leviathan has a learning curve. The controls alone are hard for me to get used to.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Grabbed the DLC tonight. Should I do one before the other or does the order not matter? Wanted to do Rising Tide first then the one that's more of a dungeon unless someone recommends against it

AEF1907

Fallen Guardian Corrupted by Vengeance
Dec 18, 2021
Finished the story, Timekeeper and Levi fight were fantastic. Did a side quest after that but couldn't wait any longer and started the Kairos gate lol. Did the first boss in there, pretty great so far.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
How do you put away the gun? During the timed challenge stone I was stuck with it until I beat that round.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Grabbed the DLC tonight. Should I do one before the other or does the order not matter? Wanted to do Rising Tide first then the one that's more of a dungeon unless someone recommends against it
I would do Echoes then Rising Tide if you care about the story. Rising Tide references what you learn about in the story of Echoes.

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018

View: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/2124463206

I'm a terrible player, but here's my run of Timekeeper with no heals and no checkpoints. I had to level up in real time to get it down.

This game is 1000000x more fun without ultimate abilities for me.

Nice run dude! It's way more fun without ultimate abilities. Having said that, other posters were 100% correct in saying the ultimates should've been mapped to it's own button as to not take up a whole skill slot.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
I love using Gigaflair tbh. I can't not have a Kamehameha. It helps my current build with Blind Justice and Satellite gives me things to do during it too.

I don't think I've used any others seriously outside of Chronoliths, unless you count Zantetsuken.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Is there a way to *just* replay the bosses? Wanna do Timekeeper and Leviathan again but gotta do the longass stage first.

Holyoneturtle

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the dlc and it was phenomenal gor me. Did it in FF mode and this one was hard. I died plenty of times to ||tonberry king,|| timekeeper, and leviathan, even coeurls got me a couple of times. Granted I had to relearn my combos and stagger setups. Still a gun dlc. I think I'll come back and put in some time into kairos stuff.

Does anyone know if ultima calls leviathan at the end. I'm talking about the part where he summons all the eikons powers and Clive summons his own to match it. I wanted to do it tonight but it got late. Would be weird not to include leviathan in that one section of the final fight.

Chaserjoey

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna be honest I think the DPS check is scripted unless you actively stop trying to attack. Because I broke the dome in the middle of it counting down to 1.
It's absolutely not scripted. On Final Fantasy mode, I lost about 20+ times. I got so lucky that I broke the shield eventually, but I was at a loss for 2 hours on how to take the shield down because I was convinced it was impossible.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished the dlc and it was phenomenal gor me. Did it in FF mode and this one was hard. I died plenty of times to ||tonberry king,|| timekeeper, and leviathan, even coeurls got me a couple of times. Granted I had to relearn my combos and stagger setups. Still a gun dlc. I think I'll come back and put in some time into kairos stuff.

Does anyone know if ultima calls leviathan at the end. I'm talking about the part where he summons all the eikons powers and Clive summons his own to match it. I wanted to do it tonight but it got late. Would be weird not to include leviathan in that one section of the final fight.

Having just finished the fight, he says that
Leviathan is a profaned fragment and he no longer has control of it because the humans 'stole' it from him. It makes perfect sense why he doesn't have it in the final battle. That's the long answer. The short answer is that it is probably a nightmare to code in a new battle sequence that can only be triggered with a cleared dlc file.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Loved this dlc. I'm gonna miss FFXVI, I want more game where Clive and Jill travel around solving peoples problems and having entertaining banter and anime fights.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
The fucking music in the temple. God damn that's good.

Having a lot of fun with Levi in these gorgeous environments.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
As someone that really didn't like XVI and sort of disliked it more and more each time I thought about it after finishing it but was open to having their mind changed (the DLC for XB3 basically saved the game for me), this DLC kinda just reinforces my belief that CBU3 has no fucking idea what they're doing half the time and underscores how much garbage a lot of XVI's game design is.

Very very briefly I was optimistic. The start of the DLC features some somewhat amusing party banter. For a brief moment, it seems like things will be different.

Except they're not different, it's all the same shit with a new coat of paint. On the way to the town I saw what I thought would be an optional cave, except no, it's blocked by a bunch of bushes. Dunno why I was getting my hopes up.

I'm walking down hallways collecting pinches of beaver ass or some such nonsense for a crafting system I'm never going to use. I'm doing sidequests where a minimal amount of information is conveyed in the most smarmy self-interested and boated verbose out the ass manner and then I go pick up some flowers or kill some enemy I've fought before. All the random world big enemies I've seen are just palette swaps all over again. The cutscenes direction is notably worse than the base game and the sidequests somehow are too. The + icon ones here just seem to be to unlock features you already had that the game took away. I'm unlocking crafting recipes for gear that's weaker that stuff I already have. I'm getting items to sell for gil when I already have gil out the ass.

The Omega DLC gets you into the dungeon relatively quickly and you get a succession of unique bosses albeit with some copy past shit in between, but here it feels like they doubled down on the bad version of XVI but just with a prettier skybox.

As for leviathan's powers, I now just mash triangle to end any random encounter and the rift thing is kinda cool, but its just another example of a bunch of powers that feel very functionally similar to a lot of other eikon abilities.

Jill, idk what's happening with Jill. Waiting for her time to shine but so far she's done the same old hang out in the background of cutscenes and sometimes say a line during exploration.

There's a couple things they did right with the this expansion and the last one:
- Accessories that do things. (albeit you're basically never incentivized to use them because it's a hassle to menu all that shit or change eikon stuff, and the game is piss easy as is). This is the absolute bare minimum of what should have been a stat and perk sphere grid or sth.
- Pieces of content that felt substantive but different from the main story's nonstop sadness/slavery/grim shit.
- Art direction, at least in the second DLC, is more interesting than almost the entirety of the base game, which just feels like bumfuck nowhere in the middle of the UK, with 3 locations that could generously be described as "green" and one that was "tan".

If XVI had launched like this I think I would overall be more charitable, but the fact that they had an extra year, charged a cumulative $90+ and are still making rookie mistakes is ridiculous.

I would be fine if nothing about XVI is ever revisited again, aside from perhaps the core gamefeel of combat and some of the technical stuff/spectacle.
Was going to post a lengthier review in here, but someone linked me this post and honestly it sums it up. I started off really liking XVI, started to get bored with it during a Final Fantasy mode playthrough, enjoyed Omega and then really disliked this. It feels like they leaned into all the worst parts of XVI for this DLC, the only thing it has going for it is being a visual feast for the eyes.

As I said, I initially really enjoyed it, but the more time you spend with the game the more limited it begins to feel. You scrape up against the very small number of possibilities in the game. The characters use paragraphs where a sentence would do, dragging everything out with needless verbosity that feels self-indulgent to a fault. Sidequests seem designed to actively waste your time, somehow deteriorating from even the sorry state of those available in the base game. The only meaningful thing to do in the game is fight, and 95% of what the new region has to offer is palette swaps on the enemies you've already fought. The new abilities do the same thing all of your old abilities did, but they're water now. Combat consists almost entirely of poking an enemy with a toothpick while weaving in the three cooldowns you use to stagger, then blasting them with the three cooldowns you use to actually kill things. It's like filing paperwork after a while, just the same thing over and over. Characters you hope finally get a chance to breathe tag along on your new adventure to just stand in the background with a blank expression, then piss off for no reason to do nothing.

All in all, I hope their next foray into a singleplayer title learns a lot from XVI, because they have a long way to go.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
That's certainly a take about the Leviathan ability lol.

Anyways, the Leviathan boss is fucking awesome. I had no idea how to dodge that one Maelstrom attack near the end though. Had to tank those. There didn't seem to be a big enough window to dash out of it like the weaker version.

I got through the shield on my third try, I just made sure to using the long dash to catch up to him and did the full magic burst combo while hitting him with the fully charged ability and the beam whenever possible. I was level 52 on non-FF mode though. Might be trickier on FF mode.

Kitano

Mar 28, 2019
I'm gonna be blunt: this is why it was always mind-bogglingly stupid for them to cut an Eikon and then sell it as post-launch DLC. The entire story doesn't make sense anymore.
You gotta me kidding me. That's why I was interested in seeing how SE would deal with this,
Clive being his perfect form

This is nonsense on so many levels. At least call it non-cannon then.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That's certainly a take about the Leviathan ability lol.
If you're talking about the gun, it's just a ranged version of Clive's basic attacks and doesn't really play a strong role in combat outside of "cool factor" in the same way Clive's basic sword strikes don't. Everything still boils down to the Eikon abilities which don't have much in the way of variety of use cases outside of things like Rift Slip.

Vic20

Nov 10, 2019
If you're talking about the gun, it's just a ranged version of Clive's basic attacks and doesn't really play a strong role in combat outside of "cool factor" in the same way Clive's basic sword strikes don't. Everything still boils down to the Eikon abilities which don't have much in the way of variety of use cases outside of things like Rift Slip.
the gun melts the stagger bar much more than the normal magic attack, and also is great at crowd control so yes it does play a larger role in the combat.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
the gun melts the stagger bar much more than the normal magic attack, and also is great at crowd control so yes it does play a larger role in the combat.
The normal magic attack does nearly nothing so that isn't a high bar. Both crowd control and stagger damage are more effectively done by your Eikon abilities. You'd be better served by switching to a different Eikon and using its abilities than sticking onto Leviathan to do less with the gun arm. Maybe if you could take it with you to different Eikons it could be more worthwhile as filler, but you want to be swapping all the time and the cooldowns on abilities that aren't the ultimates are so short that I just don't see a role for the gun outside of playing around. You have better things to do with your action economy.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea how anyone can walk away from the game and think the Eikon abilities don't have unique uses.

Most action games wish their abilities could be as unique as FFXVI, every time I swap in something new I have to change my approach in some way.

I'll also never understand people wanting the dialogue to lose its personality.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
On dialogue, I'm not a fan of a lot of Maehiro's writing in the game as its pretty circular but the prose and flowery localisation is awesome and I (and many, many people) adore it in XIV. Go read something other than Goosebumps people.

I jumped it at a specific timing and the dodged in the air. Seemed to work.
Ah didn't think to do that. I just used the Ifrit shield thing to tank it.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea how anyone can walk away from the game and think the Eikon abilities don't have unique uses.

Most action games wish their abilities could be as unique as FFXVI, every time I swap in something new I have to change my approach in some way.

I'll also never understand people wanting the dialogue to lose its personality.
The Eikon abilities basically boil down to two roles- will damage and actual damage. They have a lot of flashy animations and area of effects, sure, but this is almost exclusively useful on small, juggleable trash mobs. You could use these abilities to style on the enemies that can actually be launched, flinched, etc. Things like Ignition scooping them up can be fun, but their movesets are so narrow, their AI so bad and their HP so small I don't know why you'd bother. The meaningful encounters come from the elite enemies and the bosses, and the Eikon abilities for the most part have those two uses against them- stagger or hurt, sometimes both.

Also I love dialogue with personality! It's a huge strength of a lot of games I love, like FF7: Rebirth, recently. There are just times when dialogue should know to be succinct, and being longwinded and heavy on explanation is a very real weakness of XVI's dialogue, for my taste. It has nothing to do one way or the other with personality.

Vic20

Nov 10, 2019
The normal magic attack does nearly nothing so that isn't a high bar. Both crowd control and stagger damage are more effectively done by your Eikon abilities. You'd be better served by switching to a different Eikon and using its abilities than sticking onto Leviathan to do less with the gun arm. Maybe if you could take it with you to different Eikons it could be more worthwhile as filler, but you want to be swapping all the time and the cooldowns on abilities that aren't the ultimates are so short that I just don't see a role for the gun outside of playing around. You have better things to do with your action economy.
Yeah but water gun is fun though.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
On dialogue, I'm not a fan of a lot of Maehiro's writing in the game as its pretty circular but the prose and flowery localisation is awesome and I (and many, many people) adore it in XIV. Go read something other than Goosebumps people.

Ah didn't think to do that. I just used the Ifrit shield thing to tank it.

If someone doesn't like how the dialogue is, the that's fine.

But there's always the "says a lot when it can say little" complaint that trying to paint it as an inherent bad thing.
When they could just say they don't like it.

The Eikon abilities basically boil down to two roles- will damage and actual damage. They have a lot of flashy animations and area of effects, sure, but this is almost exclusively useful on small, juggleable trash mobs. You could use these abilities to style on the enemies that can actually be launched, flinched, etc. Things like Ignition scooping them up can be fun, but their movesets are so narrow, their AI so bad and their HP so small I don't know why you'd bother. The meaningful encounters come from the elite enemies and the bosses, and the Eikon abilities for the most part have those two uses against them- stagger or hurt, sometimes both.

Also I love dialogue with personality! It's a huge strength of a lot of games I love, like FF7: Rebirth, recently. There are just times when dialogue should know to be succinct, and being longwinded and heavy on explanation is a very real weakness of XVI's dialogue, for my taste. It has nothing to do one way or the other with personality.

Nah, I don't agree, that's way too reductive about the abilities.

Different ranges, whether or not they AoE, setup abilities, damage vs will damage, personal buffs, cooldown times, counters, attack animation length, so much changes when swapping any out. I've built up a zoning set and how I fight mobs, minibosses, and bosses is completely different from my first playthrough, I've gone from playing Dante to playing Lady, it's the kind of change that typically only happens by having a whole new character.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I really liked 16 but I think for me the main thing that I think makes 16 grow a bit stale in its combat is that stagger structures your approach to combat in a very specific way and there is not too much choice in variety of how to deal with it.

Actually if you play FF7r solo character for as much as you can it kinda exposes a very similar dynamic with stagger and really shows that a big part of the intrigue in that game that makes stagger less stale is just the group party interactions it feels like a lot more like juggling balls up in the air with how the resources tension works out.

16 gives you a lot more reactive options for responding to moves of the enemy but the way combat turns out in the end feels a lot like fit round peg into the circle shaped hole, fit the square peg into the square shaped hole, etc.

The root of it all is though that it seems just made to be very much more inviting to people less familiar with action it's a bit of shame they didn't make a system that scales to different levels better without like making you engage on it more on a perfect execution level in the point modes like ultimania. But it is what it is.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If someone doesn't like how the dialogue is, the that's fine.

But there's always the "says a lot when it can say little" complaint that trying to paint it as an inherent bad thing.
When they could just say they don't like it.

Nah, I don't agree, that's way too reductive about the abilities.

Different ranges, whether or not they AoE, setup abilities, damage vs will damage, personal buffs, cooldown times, counters, attack animation length, so much changes when swapping any out. I've built up a zoning set and how I fight mobs, minibosses, and bosses is completely different from my first playthrough, I've gone from playing Dante to playing Lady, it's the kind of change that typically only happens by having a whole new character.
Well I do see what you're getting at, but ranges, AoE, things like that really only feel applicable to the trash mobs which are already encounters that require nearly nothing of you. You can style if you want, but it's not something that will actually benefit you or something that the game incentivizes. You could just use one of your big AoEs and end any trash encounter instantly. I can sorta see the appeal in playing around with the toys but when the enemies themselves are just punching bags it just doesn't feel like enough incentive to me. Beyond that, the elites and the bosses play mostly the same and your setup will boil down to how fast you're staggering and dealing damage, because your other capabilities don't have much effect on them.

I'm not really sure what you mean by personal buffs. Are you talking about the Ifrit ability that shields you, maybe? Or Torgal's regen or something along those lines? Otherwise there really isn't much in the way of things like that in this game, not in the Eikon abilities. Regardless, you can slice the abilities up into their mechanical differences- cooldowns and animation length and such- but what you're doing at the end of the day is going to fall into what to me is a very similar loop. You sit on heavy-hitting cooldowns, waiting for stagger. You utilize your stagger-oriented cooldowns to whittle the foe's will down and get a chunk of damage in. Then once the foe is staggered you go into something very similar to a burst rotation in an MMO. If this doesn't kill, you repeat. As a post above me said, the stagger mechanic funnels the fights into the same general flow and all of your tools work towards that flow, exclusively.

I hope I'm explaining myself well. As an example, if you compare it to something like Rebirth, you're practically spoiled for options by comparison. You have a plethora of abilities that have unique roles, from healing, dealing elemental damage, inflicting or cleansing statuses, shielding and buffing your party, hitting hard, staggering fast, etc. This is in addition to the things you mention like AoE, setup, counters, things like that. I wouldn't even consider Rebirth's combat super complex. You might say Final Fantasy XVI is going for something different as a more action-oriented title, but I'm not sure it excels there, either. My feeling playing it was it just doesn't have the level of mechanical depth that makes something like DMC or Bayonetta really feel sublime, although I think it's fairly competent in its core mechanics as a "lite" version of titles like that.

Forgive the big spiel, I could probably learn a thing or two about brevity, myself. TL;DR from my point of view the broad strokes of the samey feeling of XVI's encounters comes down to uninteresting trash mobs, a combat system that's geared towards one approach to every major enemy, and a lack of distinct roles for Eikon abilities outside of the specific way you stagger and/or deal damage. To be honest, it wouldn't hurt if the enemies were a little less spongey, either. I'll probably leave it there because I don't want to rain on anyone's parade who enjoyed it, but I have a lot of thoughts on it after spending so much time with it.