Toth

Oct 26, 2017
Its fine but it's disappointing it's taking longer than expected for it to reach their sales expectations

DarthKamen

Keeper of the White Materia
Jun 22, 2023
Omega really is a great superboss.

Hope it serves as inspiration for their future boss design.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Sigma, Omicron, Angra Mainyu, Ancient Minotaur, Omega-1. What an amazing set of bosses. Echoes of the Fallen was a really solid dungeon combat DLC. Visuals, music, battles, all top tier.

If they can make 10-15 more pieces of content like this, and piece then together with a new overworld area with 3 new fields and two large towns, I think we have a sequel!

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
I think if the game had optional dungeons to explore like FFXV did it could've cut back on this massively. If some of the optional side content at the endgame wasn't just running around the same empty field maps you already ran around for the MSQ, it would just FEEL better.

Oh yeah, it definitely could have been handled a lot better.

I'm just saying I can see how it was overlooked, because I doubt playtesting involved a lot of full 60 hour playthrough of watching cutscenes and doing all the sidequests. It wasn't as bad to me the second time around when it was just a few hours with a couple dungeons that weren't the same sky.

Cutting down on some of the sidequests and adding more dungeons/action stages would have helped immensely, but they probably just didn't have the time.

The news about 16 was not negative was it? "The game is on track to meet 18-month targets" seems fine? Is that what you're talking about?

It's not good news, it borders on bad, but is on track to ultimately be just okay.

At the very least it still seems the biggest issue for FFXVI was just not having a PC release at launch.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
The news about 16 was not negative was it? "The game is on track to meet 18-month targets" seems fine? Is that what you're talking about?

There's basically three things going on with the 16 subject

1. It did sell within expectations at launch (good)
2. It did track below what they were hoping from launch to the end of the fiscal year (bad)
3. The 18 month plan might still mitigate the second point (optimistic for the PC port)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
There's basically three things going on with the 16 subject

1. It did sell within expectations at launch (good)
2. It did track below what they were hoping from launch to the end of the fiscal year (bad)
3. The 18 month plan might still mitigate the second point (optimistic for the PC port)

Square was definitely expecting the DLC to drive a second run of sales of the game before the PC port came out, but unfortunately it feels like the DLC just made absolutely zero waves with anyone but the game's most dedicated players. That seems to be the key failing - the game just has no legs, and the DLC landing with such a wet thud really hammered that home.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't want to play the dlc without first doing a full game replay because I knew how out of practice I was, and playing through it again just reaffirmed to me that yeah, I do still really like XVI. Probably #5 on my personal ranking of the mainline FF games.

After a bit of practice I managed to beat both Omega and Leviathan without dying but man, Yoshida/Kujiraoka weren't lying about them being the toughest fights lol. I died so many times my first attempt at Leviathan.

I have a completed save on Final Fantasy mode but I'm scared to try the dlc on that because I remember being relatively underleveled by the end of it. Sigma would probably kill me in one or two hits

crimmy88

Aug 7, 2023
Square was definitely expecting the DLC to drive a second run of sales of the game before the PC port came out, but unfortunately it feels like the DLC just made absolutely zero waves with anyone but the game's most dedicated players. That seems to be the key failing - the game just has no legs, and the DLC landing with such a wet thud really hammered that home.

This is probably the case. I think they also thought arcade mode would help player retention but it was DOA, especially with the initial terrible scoring system.

I think they should have also marketed the DLCs better. It barely had any marketing. If I remember right, the first one was shadow dropped and Rising Tide only had a PAX panel. Though thinking about it, how do other RPGs market DLCs anyway?

Toth

Oct 26, 2017

You don't know that though. Also the second run of the game would always be the pc version. Having the dlc done in time for it was important.

The DLC also was not advertised extensively meaning it was meant solely for existing players not drawing in new ones. Plus as you stated before, it's more FFXVI so it's not going to suddenly change minds about the game.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This is probably the case. I think they also thought arcade mode would help player retention but it was DOA, especially with the initial terrible scoring system.

I think they should have also marketed the DLCs better. It barely had any marketing. If I remember right, the first one was shadow dropped and Rising Tide only had a PAX panel. Though thinking about it, how do other RPGs market DLCs anyway?

Honestly, with the exception of the Witcher 3 expansions and Elden Ring's expansion, I feel like most RPGs don't really market their DLC very hard.

I kinda feel like season pass-style piecemeal DLC for single-player RPGs is just CONCEPTUALLY not a good idea. You either want to do one big expansion you can market like a second game (Elden Ring, The Witcher 3: B&W, Bloodborne: TOH) or just move on to the next game.

RPGs as a genre tend to be the kind of game people finish and then walk away from. They don't keep them installed for months waiting for more bosses to be added. And I also don't think most RPG players want to reinstall a huge RPG just to play it for 3 hours and then walk away again.

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
The big problem with the dlc as a selling point is that you need to be at the end of the game to play it - hypothetically, if you're a player who wasn't sold on FFXVI but thought the dlc looked cool, congratulations you now have a 40 hour action rpg to play before you can even consider playing the dlc.

It's a shame too because as a bit of a XVI hater the dlc is easily some of the best stuff in the game, no contest, and it's not *that* connected to the main story. They could have made this work!

XV for its many issues had standalone dlc episodes that you could play whenever you want from the main menu. I'm not saying those dlc episodes sold copies, but certainly I think there's a case to be made that it's at least possible in that case.

Maybe it will help sell the pc release if they bundle it...

ChocoBuddy

Apr 9, 2024
If SE expected the DLCs to bring in a second wave they would advertised them way more and not shadow dropped one of them.

I think it was intended as a treat for fans and a stimulus for FFXVI, but more importantly, will be used as a bundle with the PC version to drive more sales and maybe do a re-release of a "complete" edition on consoles/Xbox as well.

FatCatSings

Jan 31, 2023
I think one of the most fascinating metrics for FFXVI is the completion rate, sitting around 48.6% for the final story trophy on PSN. The dev team repeatedly stated that they crafted the game (ie. lowered the difficulty) to ensure that players got through the whole story and 50% is absurdly high for any RPG. Both FF7 Remake and Rebirth sit around 34-35% completion, although Remake is skewed because that includes the PS+ playerbase. Witcher 3 is around 28% on PSN.

While they wanted better sales, I think it is interesting that people who bought the game generally stuck around long enough to finish it, which does say something about the world they created and why I think they feel confident it'll hit the 18 month sales goal with PC. That is a really really fantastic attachment rate, so business-wise, they just need to get it into more people's hands.

The DLC was clearly created for the decently sizable player base that finished the game, but we know it was really made to have more content for the PC release/console re-release.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
The second DLC came out after the fiscal year and any sales bump if any wouldn't have been reflected in the financial data.

Its mostly going to be used as a value add for the full priced PC release I'm sure.

If Square had any brains they would put a very cool looking exclusive FFXIV mount or glamour behind a purchase of the game.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
If SE expected the DLCs to bring in a second wave they would advertised them way more and not shadow dropped one of them.

I think it was intended as a treat for fans and a stimulus for FFXVI, but more importantly, will be used as a bundle with the PC version to drive more sales and maybe do a re-release of a "complete" edition on consoles/Xbox as well.

Bingo.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
If Square had any brains they would put a very cool looking exclusive FFXIV mount or glamour behind a purchase of the game.

Ifrit mount please, anniversary Phoenix style just replace the character.

I'd build a macro for it that will shout in chat "Come to me, Ifrit" and activates the mount.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Do you think any FFXVI staff are still working on unannounced new content at the moment? Or is the entire team disbanded outside the PC porting crew?

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Do you think any FFXVI staff are still working on unannounced new content at the moment? Or is the entire team disbanded outside the PC porting crew?

Last we heard was that they would like to do more if the PC version sells well.

So I wouldn't bet on it at the moment, but there's always the possibility that was just PR talk because they won't announce anything in an interview.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
YoshiP said main XVI team are working on the "next game". The DLC crew is separate and we haven't gotten any info on if they got folded into whatever that next game is or if they are involved with the PC port or more DLC.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
This it releasing on PC yet gives me just a little hope that we'll still get some Arcade Mode adjustments.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
TIL there's an arcade mode. Really psyched for the game to come to PC. Feels like it's been a long while since we last heard it was in the "final stages of optimization".

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Game has zero legs and 18 month target more than likely means the PC release this winter because nothing else is boosting the game.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
Game has zero legs and 18 month target more than likely means the PC release this winter because nothing else is boosting the game.

it's been out for almost a year, of course it's sales have stalled. Like any jrpg. The next big step is the pc release and probably some ultimate edition with dlc included.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
it's been out for almost a year, of course it's sales have stalled. Like any jrpg. The next big step is the pc release and probably some ultimate edition with dlc included.

That's what I said. Youre the one that insisted the game had legs for the longest time.

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles

They said it met initial expectations but is no longer meeting that expectation and sales have slowed down a lot. Just as some people have been saying here.

They are hopeful that it can still meet its 18-month expectations.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
They said it met initial expectations but is no longer meeting that expectation and sales have slowed down a lot. Just as some people have been saying here.

They are hopeful that it can still meet its 18-month expectations.

Correct me if I am wrong but That's not what his article says though. He states that's what he thought the trend could mean. The same financial report says that sales were solid for all three games regardless, so at this point we have to wait for something official.

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles

idiotmode

Jul 30, 2022
Well what can ya do eh, CS3's next title will at least not be restricted to PS6 or whatever day one so that's something positive from this. I'm curious when we'll hear about it though since it's only got maybe a half year of Pre production on it max so far. Ah well.

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
I plan on returning to FF16 to finish off the DLCs, but I had a question:
Does DLC order matter? Should I play them in release order?

crimmy88

Aug 7, 2023
Koji said in an interview with MinnMaxx (happened around Rising Tide release) that Yoshi P has yet to tell him what theyre gonna work on next. He quipped though that it'll probably be something lighter.

DTC

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got around to refighting Leviathan. I was able to do the DPS check first try with my better weapons and extra 3 levels.

Rutger have you changed your mage builds at all? Wanted to know what abilities you've been running with. I'm experimenting w/ a bunch of different builds and trying to create 3-4 fun loadouts before I replay on Final Fantasy mode.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got around to refighting Leviathan. I was able to do the DPS check first try with my better weapons and extra 3 levels.

Rutger have you changed your mage builds at all? Wanted to know what abilities you've been running with. I'm experimenting w/ a bunch of different builds and trying to create 3-4 fun loadouts before I replay on Final Fantasy mode.

It's been a while since I last played, but my final build was I think.

Ramuh: Will-o the Wykes, Thunderstorm
Leviathan: Serpent's Cry, Abyssal Tear
Bahamut: Gigaflare, Impulse

Thunderstorm and Serpent's Cry are probably the strange picks.
I liked taking Thunderstorm over Lightning Rod for utility outside of stagger, good damage and a ranged attack. It was easy to work into stagger combos too so I didn't feel like it was a loss of damage.
Serpent's Cry was really good stagger damage and a really short cooldown so it was easy to throw out whenever I wanted, and cancel to stay safe if needed at no real loss.

It carried me safely through the Kairos Gate, but it wasn't amazing for score. I was very free to decide when I wanted to approach and when I wanted to stay back.

DTC

Oct 25, 2017
It's been a while since I last played, but my final build was I think.

Ramuh: Will-o the Wykes, Thunderstorm
Leviathan: Serpent's Cry, Abyssal Tear

Thunderstorm and Serpent's Cry are probably the strange picks.
I liked taking Thunderstorm over Lightning Rod for utility outside of stagger, good damage and a ranged attack. It was easy to work into stagger combos too so I didn't feel like it was a loss of damage.
Serpent's Cry was really good stagger damage and a really short cooldown so it was easy to throw out whenever I wanted, and cancel to stay safe if needed at no real loss.

It carried me safely through the Kairos Gate, but it wasn't amazing for score. I was very free to decide when I wanted to approach and when I wanted to stay back.

Serpent's Cry is the name of Leviathan's eikon ability. Were you using Deluge instead?

The build I'm using rn for Ramuh + Bahamut is:

Shiva: Will-o The Wykes, Dominion
Ramuh: Lightning Rod, Satellite

and then my Leviathan build, which is my fully ranged build, is:

Leviathan: Heatwave, Abyssal Tear
Shiva: Rime, Cross Swell (need something better for bosses, but it's fun owning regular enemies w/ this combo lol)
Bahamut: Gigaflare, Thunderstorm (might replace w/ Ramuh ult once I get a million AP)

I can probably replace Shiva with Ramuh Lightning Storm + Satellite and change Bahamut's Thunderstorm w/ Impulse. One thing I don't like is Will-o Wykes with Leviathan... the fire particles are so irritating when you're in Leviathan gun form haha

Last edited:

ED Cantu

Oct 28, 2017
Ifrit mount please, anniversary Phoenix style just replace the character.

I'd build a macro for it that will shout in chat "Come to me, Ifrit" and activates the mount.
Every time the topic of the PC version of the game comes out people keep half-jokingly saying this but I think CSIII should actually do it lol.

Something like if you buy XVI on PC and have a XIV account you get a Bahamut two-seater mount and a "Priming" emote that simulates when Clive transforms.
I mean there's a good amount of FFXIV players that buy expensive statues, figures and even clothing just to get emotes, minions and gear in the game so this would be similar to that IMO.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
I love how we can have legit magic builds in the game now. The customization has improved so much thanks to the patch and dlc.

DTC

Oct 25, 2017
I love how we can have legit magic builds in the game now. The customization has improved so much thanks to the patch and dlc.

I typically prefer mages in action games, so being able to make Clive into an insanely diverse mage (or 70% mage, 30% fighter) just made this game so much better for me. This is legitimately one of my favorite games when it comes to combat now, lol. It's so fluid, you have a lot of options, and the game isn't ridiculously punishing if you mess up

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Serpent's Cry is the name of Leviathan's eikon ability. Were you using Deluge instead?

The build I'm using rn for Ramuh + Bahamut is:

Shiva: Will-o The Wykes, Dominion
Ramuh: Lightning Rod, Satellite

and then my Leviathan build, which is my fully ranged build, is:

Leviathan: Heatwave, Abyssal Tear
Shiva: Rime, Cross Swell (need something better for bosses, but it's fun owning regular enemies w/ this combo lol)
Bahamut: Gigaflare, Thunderstorm (might replace w/ Ramuh ult once I get a million AP)

I can probably replace Shiva with Ramuh Lightning Storm + Satellite and change Bahamut's Thunderstorm w/ Impulse. One thing I don't like is Will-o Wykes with Leviathan... the fire particles are so irritating when you're in Leviathan gun form haha

Yeah, sorry, I meant Deluge, I just did a quick search and misread it.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Started Rising Tide proper and got into the new zone after clearing the remaining hunts I had outstanding.

Wow. Simple wow. The introduction to Mysidia is gorgeous every step of the way. From the cliffs by the shore, to the top of the mountain, to the village. Just incredibly constructed.

I've said it over and over but... There better be a second artbook!

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
Started Rising Tide proper and got into the new zone after clearing the remaining hunts I had outstanding.

Wow. Simple wow. The introduction to Mysidia is gorgeous every step of the way. From the cliffs by the shore, to the top of the mountain, to the village. Just incredibly constructed.

I've said it over and over but... There better be a second artbook!
I believe Mysidia is legit the best lookin area in any AAA game flat out. It's just on an entirely different level

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
I remember being kind of shocked at how blatant some of it is, especially when turning in side quests and having to do the "move item to box" thing, instead of just having Clive give the items...like, what the fuck else is he going to do with them?
The funniest part of this is also how you "inspect" points of interests in some quests. You go up to a spot and instead of just pressing the button you have the hold it until the circle is full.

ChocoBuddy

Apr 9, 2024
It's very clearly AAA console FFXIV to me, for better and for worse.

A duty finder instance might as well start up before any of the dungeons.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
It's very clearly AAA console FFXIV to me, for better and for worse.
There's a lot of similar elements in terms of sidequest structure (even then there's a ton of wacky sidequests and questlines that take you to really interesting content like deep dungeons/raids) and the bombastic boss fights but its missing a lot of stuff from XIV that I expected which surprised me but I guess Takai and Maehiro had other priorities.