• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
fuuuck, starting this game up after a while not playing and it's giving me the feels. it's crazy how much of the fandom is fighting between XVI and Rebirth but I fuckin love how I can just start up one and it's so different from the other
I've said it in other threads, but I think the way forward for the series is for each team to iterate and improve on their specific design template and alternate releases. Give me a CBU3 Final Fantasy XVII, then a CBU1 XVIII 3-4 years later, and so on.

They've got two very strong visions of what modern Final Fantasy could be. Building on both lets them get the benefits of iteration while also keeping some gameplay variety in the series.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
It took me about 30 mins to readjust back to FFXVI battles from 100+ hours of Rebirth combat. It feels so good again.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
fuuuck, starting this game up after a while not playing and it's giving me the feels. it's crazy how much of the fandom is fighting between XVI and Rebirth but I fuckin love how I can just start up one and it's so different from the other

Yeah, returning to the game earlier this week reminded me just how good FFXVI feels to play as an action game. I can't wait to get to the new content.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017

Big same, I started my FF playthrough over the weekend and when I got to Greatwood walking around with Cid and heard this theme I got hit with a massive wave of feels. What a game. So happy to have gotten both this and Rebirth.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asniga8NReM

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing stopping me from replaying in FF mode is because Clive's ability are all unlocked from the start. It's irrational and super weird, but it bugs me because I wanted to replay this for the story, and it just feels wrong that Clive has all his abilities already. It's just a thing I have to get over with but lol.

Anyway, crossposting from the patch thread:

Wait I feel like I'm out of my mind. I tried a custom controller layout, only to swap dodge with Eikonic Feat (R1 to O). Why is it now one Eikonic Abilities R2 + L1 instead of R2 + △ ?

It looks like Custom setting changes your Eikonic Abilities to R2 + □ and R2 + L1 instead of R2 + □ and R2 + △ ? Any way to change this?

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018

Totally, having just finished and loved Rebirth I can't wait to go back to this game.

Apr 9, 2018
I'd love to see a comparison of the fight times with the new patch since the patch increased Player ATK. It might be inconsequential but might be a pacing improvement. I'd do it myself but I sold my PS5 copy so won't get to play until the PC release

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to see a comparison of the fight times with the new patch since the patch increased Player ATK. It might be inconsequential but might be a pacing improvement. I'd do it myself but I sold my PS5 copy so won't get to play until the PC release

I'm hypersensitive to fight length because my hand fatigue issues, so I'll let you know what I think when I play it. If battles feel noticeably faster, I'll feel it instantly.

DarthKamen

Jun 22, 2023
Excited to hear details about all the new stuff. I likely won't play it til later this year when the DLC is on sale.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
It looks like Custom setting changes your Eikonic Abilities to R2 + □ and R2 + L1 instead of R2 + □ and R2 + △ ? Any way to change this?

Yeah it seems to map abilities to the attack and magic buttons and I don't see a way to change that. A little unfortunate, but I'll get used to it.

I was using the type C layout and slightly modified it. I swapped Eikonic Feat and Cycle Eikons, I wanted feat(triangle) next to attack(square) so I can more easily use it while charging. I also changed Limit Break to triangle plus circle because I don't want to keep pressing the two analog sticks.

Yeah I'd like to see that too.
My first impression is it is minor, likely just some balancing, but the panicking about it making things easier was likely unnecessary.

Apr 9, 2018
I'm hypersensitive to fight length because my hand fatigue issues, so I'll let you know what I think when I play it. If battles feel noticeably faster, I'll feel it instantly.
Yeah I'd like to see that too.
My first impression is it is minor, likely just some balancing, but the panicking about it making things easier was likely unnecessary.
Was watching a japanese stream and a original walkthrough there and compared the first fight in that early forest level, and the fight with Midnight Raven, and the completion times came out the same more or less, so it might be something that's felt later in the game, it may be more scaled as time goes on

FatCatSings

Jan 31, 2023
Wow, Bahamut feels SO much better to use now. You can dodge and go in and out of combos. Wondering if it's worth swapping out Shiva for him now as my main "dodge" Eikonic feat.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking of doing something weird an put lockon on circle so I can have cycle eikons on L2.

This game really made the most of its buttons. I'm glad we have customization now, but deciding where to fit everything is hard, haha.

Wow, Bahamut feels SO much better to use now. You can dodge and go in and out of combos. Wondering if it's worth swapping out Shiva for him now as my main "dodge" Eikonic feat.

Yeah, keeping charges is such a nice QoL buff for it.

MelliiDragon

Oct 27, 2017
Was watching a japanese stream and a original walkthrough there and compared the first fight in that early forest level, and the fight with Midnight Raven, and the completion times came out the same more or less, so it might be something that's felt later in the game, it may be more scaled as time goes on

I feel like it is really just a very small attack upgrade. Tested a few things where I took the numbers in the past (even though Clive was lvl 89 back then and is now lvl 92 so no perfect comparison, but should still give a good picture). For example rising flame does around 15300 damage now and in the past (with 3 lvls lower) it was 14700, and the result was similar for other abilities.

So most likely not a difference you will really feel

s y

Nov 8, 2017
The new area is gorgeous(blue skies!!) and leviathan is pretty cool, enjoying it so far.

Also, the patch/update kinda spoils that leviathan isn't the only new eikon you'll be getting lol.

The bahamut improvement is great, you can use it as a dodge to increase the gauge level without forcing yourself into a passive play style.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
My boy Clive right now:

gear-5-luffy.gif

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Oh shit main menu teasing a second set of new powers. Sweeet. Was assuming they were teasing something like a new form exclusive to the final boss fight but it sounds like something just like the rest of the Eikonic Abilities.

AkumaNiko

Oct 28, 2017
All i want to know is, do we get clarity on the original ending? Yes or no, details not required, please

BladeX

Oct 30, 2017
I cant wait for this.

After the dogshit endgame content of Rebirth, apparently designed to make you suffer, this will be a breath of fresh air yet again.

oty

Feb 28, 2023
holy shit, bahamut's changes are insane. it fits extensively better with the rest of the game now, and it might be the best eikon overall now rofl

FatCatSings

Jan 31, 2023
Anyone know the extent they improved the cutscene staging?
I just did the side quest about the brand "Do No Harm" to see the added cutscene content. It was very short, with only stills and narration to fill in more context about Clive deciding to get rid of his own brand to be worthy of the title Cid. A nice little addition, but not much more than that. I'm curious what else they've changed/added.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I forgot that it'll take these characters 10 minutes to say what could be said in a 2 minute conversation.

Got to the first town in Mysidia and I'm gonna call it a night. It's a very pretty location so far.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I wish they gave you invincibility during Titan's default counter. It makes it not ideal to use unless its the last hit.

crimmy88

Aug 7, 2023
I wish they gave you invincibility during Titan's default counter. It makes it not ideal to use unless its the last hit.
Landing it consecutively feels sooo satisfying though. I love getting to sneak in 1 counter-punch then blocking again in the middle of an enemy's combo chain!

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
This is not out, right? I just downloaded the update and loaded my save and while I got the notification there's no new quest or anything.

I know is supposed to be out tomorrow but there's people playing already on this thread so I was wondering. Might be different regions.

FatCatSings

Jan 31, 2023
This is not out, right? I just downloaded the update and loaded my save and while I got the notification there's no new quest or anything.

I know is supposed to be out tomorrow but there's people playing already on this thread so I was wondering. Might be different regions.
The new patch is available everywhere but the DLC isn't unlocked until midnight your region.

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
I started NG+ after i beat it way back and now im at beginning area, where can you start the DLC?

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Reinstall complete. This is the month of Final Fantasy for me lol. FF7R (put on hold for this atm) Strangers of Paradise, FFXIV renewed and I' on post Heavensward quests, grabbed Theatrythm Final Bar and now it's gonna be FFXVI both DLCs as I held of Echoes of the Fallen until this released.

Really looking forward to have an excuse to play it again I enjoyed it a lot and FFVIIR hasn't gripped me as much yet.