• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kazhar

Feb 20, 2024
I was bored to tears by the end of the game, but the line (and the final boss) was corny in a good way. Koji handled it as well as he could have if the intention was to make it more natural.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Zero shade to Koji for it, he did the best with what he had to do.

It seems I'm in the minority on thinking that line is cringey and awkward sounding then haha.

Although Hero literally brought up a much more pressing and important reason first to criticize Maehiro's writing.

It's definitely a distant second and people trying to frame it as me being angry is funny. Its inoffensive but dumb.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I tried some kind of cheese ranged build for Kairos. It's effective but it's fucking boring as hell and takes forever. I think I might just have to git gud. I hate using Leviathan.

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
I tried some kind of cheese ranged build for Kairos. It's effective but it's fucking boring as hell and takes forever. I think I might just have to git gud. I hate using Leviathan.
I've been getting WHACKED tryna get through Kairos going stylish with my more melee builds. I'm legit going through the game on FF mode AGAIN with some weaker weapons to refamiliarize myself with the enemies, cause i feel like i've gotten rusty since jumping back in lol

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I've been getting WHACKED tryna get through Kairos going stylish with my more melee builds. I'm legit going through the game on FF mode AGAIN with some weaker weapons to refamiliarize myself with the enemies, cause i feel like i've gotten rusty since jumping back in lol
I just quit trying a new ranges build. I quit because I don't have enough time to play but this thing was definitely gonna get me the clear. It's just…not cool. I may have only made it to stage 7 on my melee build but I was getting straight S ranks.

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
I just quit trying a new ranges build. I quit because I don't have enough time to play but this thing was definitely gonna get me the clear. It's just…not cool. I may have only made it to stage 7 on my melee build but I was getting straight S ranks.
I really actually love playing Leviathan, but I've found it fun to use with some attacks that attract enemies, like deluge and mesmerize. Being able to dash into enemies and pull everyone in, just to dash back out and ream em with the charged L1 shot then switching to Ramuh for slow mo swift justice? Mean ass combo lol

But I hear you, style points over effectiveness any day of the week, and if that means going all in on melee stylery, then go for it. Really wish Kairos Gate was in the game at launch cause it's just so much fun and really let's the combat shine.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Leviathan actually feels really good close range.

Though I never looked at the numbers closely so maybe I'm imagining it, but landing all hits from the gun melts stagger and does good damage.

Though honestly I'd want to keep it around for the double dodge mobility even if I don't use it for attacking. For my Kairos run I'm thinking of swapping Bahamut out for the extra Eikon, I might not use any of its abilities but its weapon seems like the ranged mob killer.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
The new eikon powers are so good.

This game rules. I ran through Origin again tonight and it was a blast. The latest updates allow Odin's powers to fall in the bin where they belong.

Except for rift slip 😌

It feels better than ever to play.

I'm tempted to play it a third time. I think this might fall into my yearly rotation.

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
Leviathan actually feels really good close range.

Though I never looked at the numbers closely so maybe I'm imagining it, but landing all hits from the gun melts stagger and does good damage.

Though honestly I'd want to keep it around for the double dodge mobility even if I don't use it for attacking. For my Kairos run I'm thinking of swapping Bahamut out for the extra Eikon, I might not use any of its abilities but its weapon seems like the ranged mob killer.
Absolutely eviscerates stagger bars. You'll notice it RIGHT quick on bigger foes when everything lands consistently, and it's insane how much stagger damage it does. For smaller foes, it's best to use abilities that groups them up though, I imagine that's why it naturally has Cross Swell, it really benefits from it when you pair it with either the charged L1 attack or the Square + X attack that shoots those 3 orbs. Really starts to shine when you start switching Eikons and begin comboing with other abilities though. It's bonkers how nimble Leviathan is, and how well that pairs with Eikon switching.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely eviscerates stagger bars. You'll notice it RIGHT quick on bigger foes when everything lands consistently, and it's insane how much stagger damage it does. For smaller foes, it's best to use abilities that groups them up though, I imagine that's why it naturally has Cross Swell, it really benefits from it when you pair it with either the charged L1 attack or the Square + X attack that shoots those 3 orbs. Really starts to shine when you start switching Eikons and begin comboing with other abilities though. It's bonkers how nimble Leviathan is, and how well that pairs with Eikon switching.
Cross swell synergizes with so many other abilities… it is the best move in the game for arranging creatures just so.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
That Leviathan arm is great. Destroys stagger on single targets. Used to like using Satellite, but the water gun is better

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
Cross swell synergizes with so many other abilities… it is the best move in the game for arranging creatures just so.
Seriously, it's bonkers. The amount of things you can do with it, and how well it positions enemies for you is just too good to pass up, so I almost always run it in my loadouts now lol

idiotmode

Jul 30, 2022
I wonder if it's better as its own thread, but apparently Koji mentioned that the CBU3 next project would likely be lighter in tone in the interview posted? I saw a post on the bird app about it.

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
I wonder if it's better as its own thread, but apparently Koji mentioned that the CBU3 next project would likely be lighter in tone in the interview posted? I saw a post on the bird app about it.
Heard it in the interview too, might be a good thread to make! I know some people weren't to keen on XVI's tone(fooey I say lol), so this might be welcome news to a fair share of people.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017

The full interview already has a thread.
www.resetera.com

[MinnMax] Final Fantasy XVI & HiFi Rush - Developer One-On-One with Koji Fox and John Johanas

https://youtu.be/kAgVyfd9qdQ?si=sEaogcVG00snyPQu It's always great to hear devs talk shop, but John and Koji make for an especially interesting duo. Lots of common ground between their most recent projects, as well as the perspective they bring to their respective studios. Give it a listen!

Honestly I do expect their next game to have a different tone because they've been so good at trying different things, but I don't know if a thread is needed for that.
But maybe I'm just too burned by the fighting that happens all the time around this game and fear it will happen again.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
idk where else to post this but here's a clip of Koji Fox speaking about THAT line

View: https://youtu.be/kZsBqaYHVKQ?si=x2N9HnjRK42aMKXg

I remember before launch Koji saying something like "we put some cringe lines in the game, look forward to it lol". I thought it was Clive being hell bent on revenge, Jack-style, but throughout the game he's actually pretty nice and only angry towards his enemies and never said anything cringey. I wonder if he's actually talking about that line specifically.

Either way yea I'm behind that line 100%. Kill the part of you that cringes!

FatCatSings

Jan 31, 2023
Just finished my Kairos Gate run with a mix of A and S ranks. Except I got a B on Hugo, which pissed me off haha. Dude hits so hard in Kairos.

I used Phoenix for general set up, Leviathan as my stagger bar destroyer/dodge king, and the new Eikon to AOE down all the trash mobs. Its normal attack combo is insane for collecting up mobs and arranging them perfectly for its Ignition style launch. It's like having a free Cross Swell but you also gain tech points.

I swapped out the secret Eikon for Garuda for the boss fight levels to have the extra yank down.

Abyssal Tear is completely broken and it's like an ultimate with a much faster cooldown. It charges extra fast using precision dodges.

Andrew J

Oct 26, 2017
The Adirondacks
Finished up the last quests, did the chronolith trial, and redid the final boss so I could get clear data and get the Arete Stone unlocks.

I consider myself done with XVI.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Just died in stage 13 because some Minotaur guy hit me one time at full health and I died. I'm really mad. Think I'll play it safe and just go with a ranged/aoe monster using Leviathan and other stuff. I got pretty far with melee using two of Ultima's abilities, Dominion and Pulitzer whatever the fuck. They're absurdly strong and deal so much stagger damage. I was staggering bosses so damn fast. They also have super fast cooldowns. I'll keep them in my ranged arsenal for that alone. Anything that clears the shit out of rooms seems to be the way to go in Kairos.

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
Just died in stage 13 because some Minotaur guy hit me one time at full health and I died. I'm really mad. Think I'll play it safe and just go with a ranged/aoe monster using Leviathan and other stuff. I got pretty far with melee using two of Ultima's abilities, Dominion and Pulitzer whatever the fuck. They're absurdly strong and deal so much stagger damage. I was staggering bosses so damn fast. They also have super fast cooldowns. I'll keep them in my ranged arsenal for that alone. Anything that clears the shit out of rooms seems to be the way to go in Kairos.
OUF, that's ROUGH. I'd have shed a tear losing that kinda progress, not gonna lie lol

At least your making progress though. Finding the right build with the right set of skills is like half the fun there.

Nama

A Big Deal
Nov 2, 2017
So timing with the dlc is convenient but I'm getting the impression that FF16 hit harder with new and causals more then we thought. My Target is now carrying the FF16 art book in-store. There's been pokemon/minecraft/roblox kids activity books and minecraft cookbook but the only proper book for a game we have ever carried is the Zelda encyclopedia.

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
So timing with the dlc is convenient but I'm getting the impression that FF16 hit harder with new and causals more then we thought. My Target is now carrying the FF16 art book in-store. There's been pokemon/minecraft/roblox kids activity books and minecraft cookbook but the only proper book for a game we have ever carried is the Zelda encyclopedia.
The dlc director mentioned XVI had some appreciable success picking up younger/newer fans, so I wonder if it has some crossover with that.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017

View: https://imgur.com/a/sze5HmE

Well this is a first for me! I've never gotten every trophy in a game including the DLC before. I loved this game and while it wasn't perfect it was a great ride. I am really sad my journey with Final Fantasy XVI is truly over.

FatCatSings

Jan 31, 2023

View: https://imgur.com/a/sze5HmE

Well this is a first for me! I've never gotten every trophy in a game including the DLC before. I loved this game and while it wasn't perfect it was a great ride. I am really sad my journey with Final Fantasy XVI is truly over.

I'm all done now too, 100% everything except for attempting the Kairos secret boss (I ain't S ranking all of this), and I'm weirdly getting into more of a post-game depression than I did when I originally finished it last year. Probably because we know that's the last bit of DLC content so we can finally say goodbye to this world.

I felt less in a rut after getting the Platinum for Rebirth, knowing that we get to return to FF7 one last time in a few years. I can't really assume SE will revisit FFXVI in any major way narratively, but if the port is good, I'll double dip on PC for the mods alone :D

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Looking at Kairos gate

Man I just can't understand CBU3 sometimes. Why the heck does the optional endgame bloody palace mode have more RPG elements than your base game? Why not leverage some of this for the base game to make things feel fresh before the 80 hour mark?

There's like...actual thought that feels like it went into stuff like Kairos gate and the chronolith trials that's just entirely absent for a lot of the rest of the game where you're gathering 2 gil and garbage to funnel into the worlds worst crafting system, christ. Like the progression and loop was handled by an entirely different team or something. Glad they included it though. Will be interesting to see if PC mods can rebalance the game or add more mechanics. XV had a mod that completely reworked the whole ascension grid so you could get the cooler combat stuff faster and cut down a crazy amount of the grind, and it makes the game like an order of magnitude more fun to play.

I hope that if they do a final update with the PC release of the game it's just an honest to god RPG rework. Nothing will change the dogshite quests or pacing issues or the poor treatment of women at this point but they're so close to having a reasonably decent array of RPG subsystems that it would be a shame for it to go to waste. Giving the special weapons eikon perks and letting some accessories unlock permanent smaller perks in the ability tree, the cooldown stuff etc. in particular would be a decent start.

Henry Jones Jr

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished this up last night and was mostly happy with it. Really liked the look of the new areas, the combat is still fun, and the Timekeeper boss was great and felt like a real epic battle. But I was expecting the main part of the story to be a bit longer. There were a lot of side quests that help add to the world lore, but they were not the most exciting things.

Overall I am very positive on FF16 and both of its DLCs. I really enjoyed my time in the world. For me, I still think it is the most I have enjoyed a mainline Final Fantasy game since FFX.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Finally beat Leviathan no damage. Now I can actually do the kairos gate 😅

Stryda

Aug 20, 2018
Looking at Kairos gate

Man I just can't understand CBU3 sometimes. Why the heck does the optional endgame bloody palace mode have more RPG elements than your base game? Why not leverage some of this for the base game to make things feel fresh before the 80 hour mark?

There's like...actual thought that feels like it went into stuff like Kairos gate and the chronolith trials that's just entirely absent for a lot of the rest of the game where you're gathering 2 gil and garbage to funnel into the worlds worst crafting system, christ. Like the progression and loop was handled by an entirely different team or something. Glad they included it though. Will be interesting to see if PC mods can rebalance the game or add more mechanics. XV had a mod that completely reworked the whole ascension grid so you could get the cooler combat stuff faster and cut down a crazy amount of the grind, and it makes the game like an order of magnitude more fun to play.

I hope that if they do a final update with the PC release of the game it's just an honest to god RPG rework. Nothing will change the dogshite quests or pacing issues or the poor treatment of women at this point but they're so close to having a reasonably decent array of RPG subsystems that it would be a shame for it to go to waste. Giving the special weapons eikon perks and letting some accessories unlock permanent smaller perks in the ability tree, the cooldown stuff etc. in particular would be a decent start.
If you actually play Kairos gate you'll very quickly see how absolutely ridiculously broken you become when so many individual variables are upgradable which is why they took away the accessory and gear slots in the mode. The mode and features are meant to be in a roguelike/rpg short term time investment and not for a full game.

Yes I agree they could carry SOME stuff but the mode is the way it is because it only works the way it is, especially since scoring is an essential part of it unlike the main game.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit I beat Kairos on FF mode. That was hard. No Leviathan cheese either. Got a B at the end. Could've gotten more S ranks if I had swapped something for Abyssal Tear which earns you tons of easy points. I couldn't drop my load out though. It made enemies stagger so fast I was skipping mechanics at times. Fuck the secret boss thought. No way I'm gonna be able to get all S ranks.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
It's not just Square. Pretty much all DLC is region locked on PSN the way the stores are set up.

If you contact Sony support they will refund you.

I randomly checked and Its now on sale! $35 for the base game.

Not showing up yet on the Deals page though. They should advertise that more now with the DLC available.

I'd rather just double dip than deal with support. I bet they're gonna reject me because I am not from the US anyway like all the times I tried to contact them lol It's against terms and conditions to have a US account when your not from the US and you get shutdown no matter your concern is.

Anyway, excited to get back into the game, DLC sounds amazing so far from the impressions I'm reading. Starting from New game sounds really nice right now. I prefer if it was NG+ but whatever.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit I beat Kairos on FF mode. That was hard. No Leviathan cheese either. Got a B at the end. Could've gotten more S ranks if I had swapped something for Abyssal Tear which earns you tons of easy points. I couldn't drop my load out though. It made enemies stagger so fast I was skipping mechanics at times. Fuck the secret boss thought. No way I'm gonna be able to get all S ranks.
Congrats.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
I randomly checked and Its now on sale! $35 for the base game.

Not showing up yet on the Deals page though. They should advertise that more now with the DLC available.

I'd rather just double dip than deal with support. I bet they're gonna reject me because I am not from the US anyway like all the times I tried to contact them lol It's against terms and conditions to have a US account when your not from the US and you get shutdown no matter your concern is.

Anyway, excited to get back into the game, DLC sounds amazing so far from the impressions I'm reading. Starting from New game sounds really nice right now. I prefer if it was NG+ but whatever.
I'm also not from US (in Ireland) and was able to get a refund pretty easily from support a couple of times for purchases like this so somewhat surprised to hear that! Sony support is defintiely the worst out there though. Should be able to get a refund online etc.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
I'm also not from US (in Ireland) and was able to get a refund pretty easily from support a couple of times for purchases like this so somewhat surprised to hear that! Sony support is defintiely the worst out there though. Should be able to get a refund online etc.

Yeah, maybe mentioning I'm from outside the US would work lol But I have to go through local support to get routed to US support so they would know immediately. Or maybe use a VPN.

So yeah, too many hoops I don't wanna deal with.

But hey, Square got two purchases out of me. That's a huge boost to their sales! I'd buy it one more time on PC too!

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks! But now I'm sad it's over. Not like I have anything to use this new weapon on.
I've been running through arcade mode with the new powers. The game is such a blast. I wish there was an endless mode or some kind of battle randomizer. Even with the latest features, I feel like something is missing.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan

What was your load out? Also what's the Levi cheese?

crimmy88

Aug 7, 2023
I've been running through arcade mode with the new powers. The game is such a blast. I wish there was an endless mode or some kind of battle randomizer. Even with the latest features, I feel like something is missing.

Mods will be the primary reason why I will double dip on PC. There will definitely be a randomizer out there for us and maybe even fix arcade mode scoring!

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Mods will be the primary reason why I will double dip on PC. There will definitely be a randomizer out there for us and maybe even fix arcade mode scoring!
I still haven't figured out arcade mode scoring. Kairos gate is the same. I try to play efficiently and always end up with a low score. I finished Kairos gate and scored miserably the whole way through.

I suppose if I ever want to rank on the leaderboard I'll look up a youtube guide on how to earn points. I have paid little attention to the meta for XVI.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I might do that and see if I can finally S rank some of the stingier stages that refused to give me more than an A. The Ultima abilities are so unbelievably strong. Honestly kinda broken. Dominion and Proselytize in particular are so powerful. Super short cooldowns and super high damage and stagger. Ultimate Demise is also good because it does a ton of damage, a ton of stagger, and it freezes the stagger bar while allowing your other abilities to come off cooldown. It's all so wonderfully overtuned.

What was your load out? Also what's the Levi cheese?
I say cheese but it's not really cheese. It's more that it's very safe. It's strong and you can just shoot people from a safe distance while using a ton of AoE abilities.

But my load out was:

Phoenix - Proselytize, Dominion
Garuda - Gouge, Wicked Wheel
Ultima - Gigaflare, Cross Swell

Ultima isn't necessary. I just think it's cool.

But basically I just played like normal for the trash. Cross Swell into Gigaflare will immediately destroy the first wave of trash while Proselytize and Dominion can take care of the second for the most part. When it came to big enemies and bosses that have stagger bars, I opened with Proselytize and then Wicked Wheel which will usually get that half stagger. Then Garuda's Deadly Embrace into Dominion, into Gouge. You can actually move after Dominion's initial attack and the second one will still go off. You don't have to wait. So while it's going off I went straight into Gouge. That will often stagger large enemies before they even get up. Some are fast and will jump away though. It won't be that simple against bosses and S ranks though since they have larger stagger bars. During the stagger phase I would just do LB > Lunge > Burning Blade > Proselytize > Charge Shot > Lunge > Wicked Wheel > Downward Thrust > Gigaflare > Proselytize. You don't have to get fancy probably with the charged stuff and sometimes the first Proselytize or Dominion won't be ready but it's fine. But Proselytize and Dominion have such fast cooldowns that they're often ready after Gigaflare even if you use them at the start of the combo, so then you can use them again.

For Enhancements I just focused on Boon potency for one level first, then duration, then back to potency to max it, then one more in duration then do a sort of split between Eikon Ability damage, and defense. For Boons it's mostly just the HP stuff, LB, and most importantly the Recast Timer reduction. Also Stagger Bonus or whatever is good.

Only thing is that this wasn't getting me many high ranks. Mostly Bs, sometimes As, sometimes Cs. I think enemies just died too fast, especially with Dominion. But it's worth it because it can kill bosses so fast you'll skip mechanics such as those annoying ones that make them go nuts attacking you over and over before they die. I don't even know if Behemoth casts Ecliptic Meteor in Kairos. It died too fast.

Unrelated but I'm still unhappy with the game's scoring system. It's so bad. I think replacing Dominion with Abyssal Tear on this same build was getting me way more S ranks but even then sometimes I'd get an A just because. The scoring is too strict and leaves too heavily on the Battle Techniques. It's too specific. And even then you have to be careful with what combinations of abilities you use. In Kairos you can wipe out a wave with Cross Swell into Gigaflare or even just a full powered Abyssa Tear. But if you do that, you don't get as many points as you could because everything gets annihilated. I also get punished most of the time for my play style in which I mostly air combo a single enemy and stay in the air as much as possible, losing out on those Battle Techniques where you have to hit multiple enemies at once. The game will punish you for doing something as simple ass Slash > Slash > Stomp because you didn't do the full three hit slash combo. It's dumb. Even with the changes made to the scoring system, it still seems to require some kind of point farming play style that just isn't fun. You can't just let loose. It needs to at the very least reward a lot more points for wiping out a screen. It's not my fault some of these abilities are so damn strong.

crimmy88

Aug 7, 2023
I still haven't figured out arcade mode scoring. Kairos gate is the same. I try to play efficiently and always end up with a low score. I finished Kairos gate and scored miserably the whole way through.

I suppose if I ever want to rank on the leaderboard I'll look up a youtube guide on how to earn points. I have paid little attention to the meta for XVI.
You really have to know what and when to use certain skills for arcade mode scoring, unfortunately. To rank high in the leaderboard (or even just getting an S), the playstyle encouraged is quite restrictive. Low cooldown and weak skills are preferred over high damaging skills. Rift slip is king. Ultimate skills are terrible.

Kairos is easier though because of the boons but the same arcade mode principles apply, sadly.

I hope SE still supports arcade mode when and after the PC version is released.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Oof... Kairos Gate has totally humbled me. I thought it'd be a cinch like most of the game but I can barely get a B and I only last a few rounds. Didn't realize before that it was a survival mode. Also, I feel like the enemies seem either more resilient or more aggressive? Both? I'm getting attacked by little mobs more than I expected. Gonna take a guess and say... this is how they behave in Ultimaniac mode or whatever it's called?

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
You can def cheese it a bit if you spam leviathans eikon feats, just stay away from mobs and dodge as needed. It's actually a great system that you can beat without too much trouble but mastering it will require a lot of work.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Kairos Gate is a fantastic addition to the game.

I think.ranking can probably be somewhat flexible in there too since there are rank boosting boons. I haven't messed around too much but my priorities at the start are boon duration and then rank boosting so I can snowball points for other upgrades.
I wasn't getting any S ranks in my first couple attempts though.