• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
AD2hN1Q.png

giu33eH.png

Worked on the series since FF9 but is known for his work on early FFXIV (2.0 and 3.0)

RjKKHla.png

Kg9kQ22.png

nDVcm15.png

IvfcMAy.png

3EOCAnG.png

1IHwEYV.png

7KhHmzW.png

eXohOaV.png

eXohOaV.png

5X1APF7.png

ttYSoma.png

o3DD3nH.png

HJyk2VT.png

VO6J7sX.png

IUUr2g9.png

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
Wow, this all looks great!

And they feel suitably realistic, or at least, not too bombastic or "over-detailed."

Anyone else feel the same way?

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I didnt know they were behind that incredible artwork with the Scions for Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers. Still my favorite piece to come out of FF as a whole.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Damn I love this artstyle and aesthetic of this game. It's different from what I'm usually used to. I really dig it.

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
He's not Nomura but getting XII vibes which is good. Nice that we get Nomura FFs with 7R and then this one.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wish the game itself looked paintery like this art, but at least we have the art (I remember with FFXIII they pretty much didn't show any art and focused on the 3D renders instead)

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm really a fan of his stuff, but I always thought it looked super similar to Akihiko Yoshida's stuff (not that that's a bad thing at all, Yoshida is the GOAT FF artist). Was he like a pupil of his or something?

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good thread for bringing awareness to an artist that maybe not a ton of people are familiar with.

I certainly wasn't, so thanks to everyone who mentioned him in the site opening thread and to OP.

Looks fucking sick. All of it. The one with all the characters looks especially good.

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Loooove this style. Have that shadowbringers group pose as one of the pictures in my desktop rotation right now, so good.

I know people really like amano's stuff, but while stylistically cool, it was always a bit off putting to me. I think this strikes a much nicer balance personally.

Ah, fair enough, but this is a JRPG after all so we probably shouldn't expect otherwise, imho.
i feel like they are trying to be wishy washy with the realism is weird. Like realistic skin shaders and facial animations with cartoon hair is weird. It would be fine the art direction in game tried to mimic the the illustrators work but they do not and I'm sure the illustrator knew what type of way square would render his work so he should have designed around that.

Party

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
Wish the game itself looked paintery like this art, but at least we have the art (I remember with FFXIII they pretty much didn't show any art and focused on the 3D renders instead)
Yeah that's the real bummer here. I love this art but I feel like the tone of all the most recent final fantasy games don't actually reflect this kind of style.

Zanasea

Oct 28, 2017
France
The last piece (the Shadowbringers one) is not by Takahashi, but by Yusuke Mogi.

So glad he's working on FFXVI, the Clive/Joshua piece is gorgeous.

Normanski 2.0

Nov 21, 2017
Is this the same artist who worked on Octopath and/or Nier? I was discussing this earlier with a mate when the blog post came out and neither of us were 100% sure.

Is this the same artist who worked on Octopath and/or Nier? I was discussing this earlier with a mate when the blog post came out and neither of us were 100% sure.
Nope. Naoki Ikushima and Akihiko Yoshida did the artwork for Octopath and Nier, respectively. Though Ikushima and Takahashi are heavily inspired by Yoshida's artwork (the latter especially with his work in XIV and now XVI).

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
It's hard to put into words how much I trust whatever team Yoshi-P put in charge of this game. Everyone is extremly talented.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
Takahashi is one of the reasons I own three FFXIV artbooks despite the fact I'm yet to play FFXIV, lol. He's a fantastic artist, and I'm so pleased he's working on FFXVI. (There better be an FFXVI artbook, Square!)

Athrum

Oct 18, 2019
That last piece, with the Warrior of Darkness and the rest of the Shadowbringers cast is one of my favourites.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Wow, I'm impressed by this art direction and tone. It's beautiful work and carries a nice level of mystique to it. I can't wait to get lost in that world...