-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely amazing that they managed to save the artworks. Absolutely terrific work of the people who managed to do so!

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
History being lost is always saddening. This being holy week is an extra slice of awfulness. At least no one has been hurt.

We can only hope this brings some sense of unity to Parisians/French people and that they rebuild when it's all said and done.

Oct 26, 2017
Never visited and never intended too, but it's a huge loss for mankind. I visited the cathedrals in Prague and Ghent and places like that are awe-inspiring regardless of your faith. Good to hear that some of the art could be saved at least - stones can and will be replaced at intervals and much of what was there wasn't 900 years old, but artwork is impossible to replace.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
This is heartbreaking :(

This is not just about a building dumbass, this is about a piece of human history. It goes beyond the importance of a building.
That guy didn't say anything about other people caring for the building or why they care for it, he wasn't being offensive, nor was he pushing an atheist agenda like some other did. For all you know he very well understands the historical significance of the building. But he personally doesn't care for it and that is completely fine, not caring for the structure doesn't making him a dumbass especially when he clearly cares about whether people made it out safely.

Marvie

Oct 25, 2017
This is horrible. I'm glad I got to see it years ago. It was amazing. Really glad no one was hurt too.

Gacha Santa Alter

"This guy are sick"
Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
Sad stuff really. Good thing there's little damage other than structural though. The building itself can be rebuilt, lives and all the historical items inside, not so much.

Here's hoping nothing else is lost.

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
That's good news at least.

Can't imagine the absolute chaos when the people inside had to evacuate them out of the building after they knew about the fire.

I believe the building was closed off to the public today. I'm sure that helped in no injuries or victims.

Real happy to hear the artworks have been saved at least! Probably the best outcome you could wish for at this moment.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It would be downright miraculous if the reports that the art and artifacts were saved is accurate.

I guess it would be possible if people knew to get that stuff out when the word of the fire first started but it seems like the spire was in flames very quickly.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I believe the building was closed off to the public today. I'm sure that helped in no injuries or victims.

Real happy to hear the artworks have been saved at least! Probably the best outcome you could wish for at this moment.

actually i read a mass was almost about to begin when the fire started

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Hopefully won't be that extreme but what ever company was doing the renovations will never get another job again.
Oh I didn't mean it would be that bad either. I'm just somewhat positive that if a workers name and face gets attached to this fire. They'll pretty much become unhireable bar a miraculous turn of feelings in France. And yeah the restoration company responsible should be barred from restoration forever. And also finned into oblivion for the countless amount it art that's been damaged inside.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
In terms of the "just airdrop a bunch of water on it" idea:

@colvinj For all of us wondering: France's civil security agency says water-dropping aircraft are not being used because they're "unsuitable for fires like the one at Notre Dame... dumping water on the building could cause the whole structure to collapse."

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
Even as a Spanish atheist myself, this is profoundly tragic to me; if La Sagrada Familia was on fire, I would be devastated. I can't imagine how Catholic people, especially French Catholics, are feeling; my most heartfelt condolences to you guys, and stay strong. :(

Really hoping reasonably fast reconstruction is within the realm of possibility, but I have zero clue about these things.
It really stinks because it's always been a symbol of what's i call a rebirth. It has been pivotal to France and Catholic Church in terms of change for almost 900 years. My prayers and thoughts go out to all of France. To those who studied it, explored it, or worshipped in it.

AlexMeloche

Oct 27, 2017
As a (soon to be) architect...
Never had the chance to visit it but this is rough. The importance of the cathedral is invaluable.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017

I mean the staff working inside trying to save the artwork. There must have been contingency plans in case a fire happens.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I just found out about this. One of my friends and his girlfriend are there currently to celebrate their one year anniversary, and they visited Notre Dame this morning. Fortunately, they left about an hour before reports of the fire came out. This is tragic.

meaulnes

Oct 27, 2017
By the way, wasn't some fire at Saint Sulpice also earlier this year? I remember I read something but with little details.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so happy it seems so many pieces were saved. The only brightside is that this kind of thing happened during a renovation

It is still devastating but there are many historical buildings in the world that are reconstructed

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico

The relics seem to have been saved.

Oh that's good.

@colvinj For all of us wondering: France's civil security agency says water-dropping aircraft are not being used because they're "unsuitable for fires like the one at Notre Dame... dumping water on the building could cause the whole structure to collapse."

Anyone with a brain would know that.

Oct 30, 2017

Trump be like:
tenor.gif

Elynn

Oct 28, 2017
Brittany, France
The firefighters just said they're not sure they can keep the northern belltower from burning (and then collapsing) :/
And to think of all the glass windows that are reportedly lost already...