Panthalassic

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like the spire just fell

What a tragedy. I saw it when I was much younger (didn't appreciate it then) and really wanted to see it again as an adult.

Oct 29, 2017
Jesus christ I looked at that and thought "that's likely gonna get extinguished soon" and put it off my mind.

But wow, this looks far, far worse than I thought. All that history just up in flames. It'll be years before it gets fully restored :(

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Here's a really stupid question. Fire, ultimately, wouldn't do that much structural damage to a building primarily made out of masonry, would it?
It'll weaken the integrity of the roof and cause that spire to collapse inward, setting everything inside on fire. Cathedrals are pretty ornate with flammable carpeting and paintings

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
D4NktU3WAAAHrBz.png

logiejames

Nov 15, 2017
UK
A tragic loss of history :(. I hope that they can at least save the shell and rebuild. It has survived too much of history's horribleness to give in to an accidental fire.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, I dunno if fire fighters can do more than just prevent the fire from spreading to other buildings.

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
You would hope witnessing something like this would spark something in humanity, anything... we are capable of such amazing things and Notre dame represented that.

this is heartbreaking to watch.

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully everyone is ok and there is not secondary danger. There are tours that can take you to the top iirc, and an underground section as well so I hope people were able to evacuate in time.

Always sad to see these kinds of things, especial in touristy areas. Also a shame to see damage to such a well known and beautiful historical building.