xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
The villains in this game are so awful
The Four Clowns can do what they want cus every castle is full of morons who don't lock the front door
And then they just... leave through the same door at the end of chapter

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Well just beat Celica's paralogue. With that I've completed all 16 in the non-DLC game. Just have Soren and Camilla's to do, as well as 3 more main story chapters. Time to wrap this up over the next few days. Almost 70 hours in....how long did it take everyone to beat it?

Blitzwolf215

Oct 26, 2017
Chapter 22 did alleviate a lot of the bad taste that Chapter 21 left in my mouth. That said, I still have a LOT of problems with how 21 was handled in many aspects.

Everyone just STANDING THERE for......well.....everything that was happening. Marni sacrificing herself after seconds of "character conflict" and back/forthing. Zephia not stopping her. The heroes standing there a 2nd time when Sombron somehow got the rings AGAIN. No one removing that stupid fucking HELMET that was damaged even as Veyle/Evil Veyle stood there complaining how damaged it was. Thank fuck SHE finally decided to rip it off herself, because no one else was going to step up and do it apparently. Just everything about that sequence of events is just. so. stupid.

As I said in a previous post, I have a high tolerance for anime bullshit. After all, Chapter 22 was kinda stupid but not AS stupid as the one before, so it didn't bother me. At least the Emblems hinted at their Deus Ex Machina back in the upper Teen Chapters so it didn't feel as completely out of left field as the Hounds/FellPrincess Identity Crisises that was going on.
Yeah alot of that was just dumb

Also
Mauvier's little scream to the sky thing when Marni died, the hell was up with that?

OrochiJR

Oct 29, 2017
Quick question regarding class change: Is it advisable to use a master seal only when the characters base class caps at lvl 20 or should I use it ASAP? Asking for my lvl 14 Anna, among others.

Sol

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question regarding class change: Is it advisable to use a master seal only when the characters base class caps at lvl 20 or should I use it ASAP? Asking for my lvl 14 Anna, among others.

Unlike the other games in the series, internal level doesn't change when you promote in Engage, so promoting ASAP is highly recommended due to the extra stats and weapon access.

champloo

Oct 27, 2017
Well just beat Celica's paralogue. With that I've completed all 16 in the non-DLC game. Just have Soren and Camilla's to do, as well as 3 more main story chapters. Time to wrap this up over the next few days. Almost 70 hours in....how long did it take everyone to beat it?

I'm past chapter 22, with 3 Paralogues left, no DLC, and I've clocked in 116 hours lol.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Engage is the first game I've played where the plot is so bad it hampers my enjoyment on subsequent playthroughs EVEN when skipping cutscenes.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Tried a skirmish for the first time and wow, what a zerg rush. Had to send Louis so defend one flank on his own while my other 9 units struggled to hold the other.

I guess it didn't help that my 'tanks' were Alear, Diamant and... Vander. Figured it was time to give my bench warmers a chance to shine, but I did put them on that bench for a reason...

It was good experience for Anna and Jean at least and said bench warmers should be placated for a while.

Anna really cracks me up this game with the shit she says, not in the least because of the VA's delivery. Already said it but I love this redesign/recast.

Last but not least I promoted Alear. Still feels weird to promote this early, especially the protagonist. Expected it to be tied to the story, but nope, Divine Dragon was right there in the list. Arts as an additional weapon is a curious choice, wonder why they gave them that.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
Tried a skirmish for the first time and wow, what a zerg rush. Had to send Louis so defend one flank on his own while my other 9 units struggled to hold the other.

I guess it didn't help that my 'tanks' were Alear, Diamant and... Vander. Figured it was time to give my bench warmers a chance to shine, but I did put them on that bench for a reason...

It was good experience for Anna and Jean at least and said bench warmers should be placated for a while.

Anna really cracks me up this game with the shit she says, not in the least because of the VA's delivery. Already said it but I love this redesign/recast.

Last but not least I promoted Alear. Still feels weird to promote this early, especially the protagonist. Expected it to be tied to the story, but nope, Divine Dragon was right there in the list. Arts as an additional weapon is a curious choice, wonder why they gave them that.

Might be just so they have another way to break certain units as your qi adept types are probably not gonna be frontline
Example: running up to Lucina in her paralogue and just punching her leaves her open for your whole squad to beat the crap out of her

Last edited:
OP
OP
kuroneko0509

kuroneko0509

Oct 25, 2017
uhh since i rarely use qi adepts and their guard, just wondering if those can block enemy engage attack? can't say i remember whether or not i managed to land mine on boss when their adepts supporting nearby too lol

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Céline is a monster goddamn

I warmed up to her and wanted to keep her on my main team, but she really fell behind after chapter 11ish since I made Jean a Sage and you get _Ivy_. I tried reclassing her and she's okay as a Levin Sword Mage Knight, but maybe I should've kept her in her unique class? Idk, she's definitely a top tier unit in the early game though since she doesn't have much competition for being your main magic user.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
I warmed up to her and wanted to keep her on my main team, but she really fell behind after chapter 11ish since I made Jean a Sage and you get _Ivy_. I tried reclassing her and she's okay as a Levin Sword Mage Knight, but maybe I should've kept her in her unique class? Idk, she's definitely a top tier unit in the early game though since she doesn't have much competition for being your main magic user.
I upgraded her to a Vidame and she's insane. She dodges everything and hits like a truck.

I don't even give her an Emblem ring and she still makes MVP

Randomless

Oct 25, 2017
The DLC maps scale to your level right?
They do, unlike the base game paralogues. I don't believe there is any consensus on when the best time to do them would be, I think it's an interesting conversation to have.

The first "best time" I think would be right at chapter 6 when they first become available. At this point, you have 5 emblem rings including the dlc 3H bracelet, and stats are still low in general so getting a big meal bonus and using tonics goes a longer way than if you waited.

Next would be after chapter 7. You'll now have Alcryst, so with Alcryst and Etie you can cheese the reinforcements in Tiki's paralogue with a (very) strong forged bow because of the effective damage. You can trade the bow between them so you don't need to make a bow for each, but the dlc gives a lot of mats so you can probably afford to give them both good bows if you want instead. Tiki is probably the strongest emblem in the game, even among dlc emblems, so once you have her you can start snowballing and probably progress through the other dlc maps as well. I think an issue with this and the above approach is that you won't have many promo items at this point, and your units are going to get overleveled very quickly with all the extra EXP. While this takes the immediate challenge out of the next few maps before ch 10-11, you're also getting worse growths with units leveling in their base classes instead of the better advanced class growths, so on Maddening there might be issues later but probably not considering how good the dlc emblems are.

The next best time after that would be after chapter 8. You now have all 6 story emblems + Edelgard, so you can put an emblem ring on almost everyone in the 8 unit deployment limit of the dlc maps.

I personally feel like trying to complete the dlc maps after chapter 11 is a bad idea as you now only have 2 emblems + Edelgard, regardless of how powerful those emblems are. I feel like if you waited that long, you might want to wait a bit more to grab Ike, Byleth, and Corrin first. I feel like after chapter 15, when you have Corrin, is another good point to try completing the dlc maps. Your army will all be promoted so you won't miss out on class growths and you can buy plenty of second seals so you won't get capped out. There's a big difficulty spike at chapter 17 so the impact of the extra EXP and dlc emblems will probably smooth things over.

The final best time to wait for is probably after chapter 19. You'll finally get Micaiah back and have plenty of warps available so you can just cheese the dlc maps if you want. There's zero reason to wait anymore at this point.

When I do my Maddening RNG Growths with all DLC playthrough, I'm gonna try doing them right at chapter 6 and if I can't manage it I'll grab Alcryst and try again. I think grabbing them early is definitely going to be better.

King Dodongo

Oct 27, 2017
They do, unlike the base game paralogues. I don't believe there is any consensus on when the best time to do them would be, I think it's an interesting conversation to have.

The first "best time" I think would be right at chapter 6 when they first become available. At this point, you have 5 emblem rings including the dlc 3H bracelet, and stats are still low in general so getting a big meal bonus and using tonics goes a longer way than if you waited.

Next would be after chapter 7. You'll now have Alcryst, so with Alcryst and Etie you can cheese the reinforcements in Tiki's paralogue with a (very) strong forged bow because of the effective damage. You can trade the bow between them so you don't need to make a bow for each, but the dlc gives a lot of mats so you can probably afford to give them both good bows if you want instead. Tiki is probably the strongest emblem in the game, even among dlc emblems, so once you have her you can start snowballing and probably progress through the other dlc maps as well. I think an issue with this and the above approach is that you won't have many promo items at this point, and your units are going to get overleveled very quickly with all the extra EXP. While this takes the immediate challenge out of the next few maps before ch 10-11, you're also getting worse growths with units leveling in their base classes instead of the better advanced class growths, so on Maddening there might be issues later but probably not considering how good the dlc emblems are.

The next best time after that would be after chapter 8. You now have all 6 story emblems + Edelgard, so you can put an emblem ring on almost everyone in the 8 unit deployment limit of the dlc maps.

I personally feel like trying to complete the dlc maps after chapter 11 is a bad idea as you now only have 2 emblems + Edelgard, regardless of how powerful those emblems are. I feel like if you waited that long, you might want to wait a bit more to grab Ike, Byleth, and Corrin first. I feel like after chapter 15, when you have Corrin, is another good point to try completing the dlc maps. Your army will all be promoted so you won't miss out on class growths and you can buy plenty of second seals so you won't get capped out. There's a big difficulty spike at chapter 17 so the impact of the extra EXP and dlc emblems will probably smooth things over.

The final best time to wait for is probably after chapter 19. You'll finally get Micaiah back and have plenty of warps available so you can just cheese the dlc maps if you want. There's zero reason to wait anymore at this point.

When I do my Maddening RNG Growths with all DLC playthrough, I'm gonna try doing them right at chapter 6 and if I can't manage it I'll grab Alcryst and try again. I think grabbing them early is definitely going to be better.

Quoting this post for my maddening run haha.

Icarian

May 9, 2018
I dislike how upgrading weapon works, as far as I know previous upgrades don't count towards the next one so it feels like a waste to upgrade anything but +5 given how expensive upgrades are, say a weapon takes 150 iron 15 steel 2 silver and 2k gold to upgrade to +2, it takes double that to upgrade to +3, if you upgrade by steps it takes basically double the resources than if you were to upgrade straight to +5...

George

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I upgraded her to a Vidame and she's insane. She dodges everything and hits like a truck.

I don't even give her an Emblem ring and she still makes MVP
I gave her the Chrom S Rank ring to try squeeze a few more Ignis procs out of her. There are probably better rings, especially emblems to pair her with, but that's what I've been running. She's definitely fallen off compared to my stand out units, but she's a decent Thoron blaster with access to most staves I want to use.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
I dislike how upgrading weapon works, as far as I know previous upgrades don't count towards the next one so it feels like a waste to upgrade anything but +5 given how expensive upgrades are, say a weapon takes 150 iron 15 steel 2 silver and 2k gold to upgrade to +2, it takes double that to upgrade to +3, if you upgrade by steps it takes basically double the resources than if you were to upgrade straight to +5...

No, previous upgrades count.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017

They definitely count, you can see the prices of the next upgrades getting cheaper.

Icarian

May 9, 2018
No, previous upgrades count.

They definitely count, you can see the prices of the next upgrades getting cheaper.

I... uh... been making the game harder for myself I guess, especially when it comes to leveling low level characters. I only upgraded a single weapon to +5 because of that.

On another note, I've been leveling Lapis as Swordmaster since I don't like Kagetsu (I don't really like both of Ivy's retainers), hope it's a good fit for her.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
I... uh... been making the game harder for myself I guess, especially when it comes to leveling low level characters. I only upgraded a single weapon to +5 because of that.

On another note, I've been leveling Lapis as Swordmaster since I don't like Kagetsu (I don't really like both of Ivy's retainers), hope it's a good fit for her.

Honestly I think Swordmaster is fairly bad in this game.

Lapis is better as a Thief if you want a dodge tank imo. Her unique skill compliments Covert classes boosted avoid, and Knifes are low weight and have good upgrades, so her poor build doesn't limit her.

There's could be other, better classes for her, I haven't experimented much with her. But Swordmaster was not a good class for her in my experience because any good sword weighed her down and she became a Swordmaster that couldn't double or deal damage because her Str is also low. And she's not good for crit builds since her unique skill sacrifices crit for avoid.

George

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I think Swordmaster is fairly bad in this game.

Lapis is better as a Thief if you want a dodge tank imo. Her unique skill compliments Covert classes boosted avoid, and Knifes are low weight and have good upgrades, so her poor build doesn't limit her.

There's could be other, better classes for her, I haven't experimented much with her. But Swordmaster was not a good class for her in my experience because any good sword weighed her down and she became a Swordmaster that couldn't double or deal damage because her Str is also low. And she's not good for crit builds since her unique skill sacrifices crit for avoid.
I put Leif on her to help with Build, promoted her to Hero, and gave her an avoid Engraving. She can't be touched most of the time so she pretty much always double chain attacks, and she hits decently too. Put Dual Assist+ on her, and she's even better. She's in my top 3 or 4.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
I put Leif on her to help with Build, promoted her to Hero, and gave her an avoid Engraving. She can't be touched most of the time so she pretty much always double chain attacks, and she hits decently too. Put Dual Assist+ on her, and she's even better. She's in my top 3 or 4.

Makes sense, I can't imagine any reason to pick Swordmaster over Hero in this game.

And yeah, Leif is good for any character needing build.

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017

Doing it late really screwed the difficulty curve because you come out way overleveled. I will either do them early like what you said above so by mid game the overleveling will normalize itself, or stagger them out so it won't have an impact for more than 1 map at a time at most.

Makes sense, I can't imagine any reason to pick Swordmaster over Hero in this game.

And yeah, Leif is good for any character needing build.

One thing I initially overlooked during theorycrafting is weapon level for each class. The only value swordmaster has is s rank weapon by default (not counting successor). Otherwise you need someone with natural proficiency in sword on general, paladin, or griffin knight to get s rank. For sword that has value because it's the earliest s rank weapon you can get, although I still personally went with a sword proficiency character on paladin instead. Of all the natural s rank generic classes, only halberdier is a solid class, although berserker is kind of ok in a vacuum just by having good stats (swordmaster, halberdier, berserker, sniper).

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
I'm starting to feel the slowness as the maps go on
I don't wanna have to make all my units into mounted units, I like having a variety of classes, but the low movement is grating on me

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
My Lapis is a sword master god, but I realized it might be because I got her tiki early because I knew I wanted her to shine since I live her design.

Silver weapons being lvl B on top of engraving/refining means these specialty classes with S ranks weapon skills feel pointless in this game. Weapon proficiency skills being thrown into engage units means the class identities in this game are generally pretty weak.

Is there any solo weapon unit that's actually great? What character used it?

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
Is anyone actually using Seadall's fortune telling?
It seems like such a pain in the ass

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
My Lapis is a sword master god, but I realized it might be because I got her tiki early because I knew I wanted her to shine since I live her design.

Silver weapons being lvl B on top of engraving/refining means these specialty classes with S ranks weapon skills feel pointless in this game. Weapon proficiency skills being thrown into engage units means the class identities in this game are generally pretty weak.

Is there any solo weapon unit that's actually great? What character used it?

I'm big on halberdier as pincer is really good and halberdier has really solid base stat and growth. I like sniper but wouldn't vouch for it in the same manner. Berserker loses to warrior pretty badly, and swordmaster just doesn't have anything going for it. Thief is another good solo weapon unit but knives are just really solid.

I think classes still have some identity because there are pretty good class skills scattered around but specialized classes do feel quite irrelevant overall since weapon level doesn't really effect anything major. The only synergy I look for is whoever has an emblem with a high value engage attack should be able to use thr best smash weapon available, so at least A rank. Otherwise weapon versatility wins almost every time in this game.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I initially overlooked during theorycrafting is weapon level for each class. The only value swordmaster has is s rank weapon by default (not counting successor). Otherwise you need someone with natural proficiency in sword on general, paladin, or griffin knight to get s rank. For sword that has value because it's the earliest s rank weapon you can get, although I still personally went with a sword proficiency character on paladin instead. Of all the natural s rank generic classes, only halberdier is a solid class, although berserker is kind of ok in a vacuum just by having good stats (swordmaster, halberdier, berserker, sniper).

Yeah, weapon rank can matter.

Though tbh I'm not too impressed by any S rank weapon, and by time we get any we likely have invested into good forged weapons.

A rank can be the most important imo if we're making a Brave weapon build or a high damage Smash weapon. Otherwise I feel most units will be happy at B or C for any weapon.

A class' weapon rank doesn't give any bonuses here does it? I kind of wish it did.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
Skirmishes seem such a pain in this game, they're way harder than the main chapters
They really don't want you farming exp for your stragglers it seems, I wish it would judge off your highest level unit on field, not your highest in general
I start a map, get one shot every move, reset to map

Jadow

Oct 27, 2017
Since this is my first playthrough I am using all the main royals, and I gotta say Ivy>>Diamant>>>Timerra>>>>>>Alfred, that being said Alfred with Brave Lance paired with Eirika is actually not bad at cleaning up squishy enemies. Timerra is much better than what I've read so far, Ivy is cracked and Diamant is a solid speedy tank who punches very hard.

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
Since this is my first playthrough I am using all the main royals, and I gotta say Ivy>>Diamant>>>Timerra>>>>>>Alfred, that being said Alfred with Brave Lance paired with Eirika is actually not bad at cleaning up squishy enemies. Timerra is much better than what I've read so far, Ivy is cracked and Diamant is a solid speedy tank who punches very hard.

Timerra is the best of the 4 for me. Sandstorm on her class is one of the best skill in the game imo.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Timerra's unique class was not working for me. Sandstorm sounds cool, but it's like 20-30% activation and her strength was too low to do anything when it failed. She just couldn't gain any exp.

I changed her to Wolf Knight with Eirika mostly as filler/reposition support. It's too late in the game for me to really try and recover her as a strong unit, but she at least contributes somewhat now.

I'm not using any other royal.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I thought the "thinking of" was a boost to support next battle?
If not then... what the heck is the point

Awakening and Fates had similar fortunetelling features and they were just nonsense there too. Awakening's was the only one with any kind of point though, IMO, since you could do it with the spotpass characters, not just the main cast. It was pretty much the only character interaction they had after joining.

mOq7AHW.jpg

IXISNUo.jpeg

My 3ds bricked though, and I didn't save most of the images I had...

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone actually enjoy smug child villains in jrpgs? Not sure why they keep making them

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
Timerra's unique class was not working for me. Sandstorm sounds cool, but it's like 20-30% activation and her strength was too low to do anything when it failed. She just couldn't gain any exp.

I changed her to Wolf Knight with Eirika mostly as filler/reposition support. It's too late in the game for me to really try and recover her as a strong unit, but she at least contributes somewhat now.

I'm not using any other royal.

It's cool how different the experience can be even on fixed growth. I did notice that stat up seems to be a lot more generous past lvl10 on a promoted class, so quite a few characters felt average till they hit that range in level.

Tab

Nov 23, 2017
Timerra fell off for me to the point that I actually benched her. Ivy was always a middling filler unit, Alfred wasn't used past the early game, and I actually never used Diamant for some reason. Honestly the only royal that was good for me was Alcryst.
Awakening and Fates had similar fortunetelling features and they were just nonsense there too. Awakening's was the only one with any kind of point though, IMO, since you could do it with the spotpass characters, not just the main cast. It was pretty much the only character interaction they had after joining.

mOq7AHW.jpg

IXISNUo.jpeg

Fates had an additional one that was equally as pointless
Oi1gENT.jpg

(Pardon the shitty phone picture and dead pixels in the corner of my 3DS screen)

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Timerra fell off for me to the point that I actually benched her. Ivy was always a middling filler unit, Alfred wasn't used past the early game, and I actually never used Diamant for some reason. Honestly the only royal that was good for me was Alcryst.

Fates had an additional one that was equally as pointless
Oi1gENT.jpg

(Pardon the shitty phone picture and dead pixels in the corner of my 3DS screen)
That's what I'm talking about. It was complete random nonsense like Awakening, but for whatever reason Fates' only allowed you to use it with story characters. Amiibo/recruited boss/generic enemies/Einherjar were all locked away from it, even though it worked just fine in Awakening.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019

mOq7AHW.jpg

IXISNUo.jpeg

Thanks, now I'll know to never look at it again
I played Awakening and don't remember this at all, but I also never used spotpass on any game either

Tab

Nov 23, 2017
That's what I'm talking about. It was complete random nonsense like Awakening, but for whatever reason Fates' only allowed you to use it with story characters. Amiibo/recruited boss/generic enemies/Einherjar were all locked away from it, even though it worked just fine in Awakening.
Looking at your photos, it's interesting that they want as far as to internally code einherjar Marth as being married, since canonically he is. Or at least I assume that's what's happening there since Cordelia is the one shown as being in love. So clearly they intended for the feature to work with einherjar in Awakening. I wonder why they didn't bother in Fates, especially since the capture bosses are straight up actual people and not spirits or anything.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
It's cool how different the experience can be even on fixed growth. I did notice that stat up seems to be a lot more generous past lvl10 on a promoted class, so quite a few characters felt average till they hit that range in level.

I don't necessarily think she's bad(one playthrough isn't enough to decide that imo), but I think on Maddening she probably needs certain things fast.

I'd probably try a Killer Lance + Wrath combo right away so she can deal damage and get levels fast. She didn't gain levels and quickly fell behind.

One problem I have is that her class wants Ike, but I don't think Ike wants that class. Free Wrath and defense boosts will complement her, but she's not really so defensive to be the kind of tank Ike excels at, and with no sword or axe she can't maximize Great Aether, or even set it up as well because of a lack of defense. So I'm not sure what Emblem I'd give her, perhaps still Eirika for defense piercing and Sol, and +dex for Sandstorm proc. Or maybe Lucina for +dex and +spd.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
Freaking Timera making Micaiah paralogue harder than it should be by randomly deciding to activate sandstorm every other attack kiĺing 6 units and dying in the process.

Also Etie taking yet another mvp on a map, not even maddening classic can stop this girl. Truly my best unit period