• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Woah, the trailer for a banner that's three days off? IS feels the Three Houses heat, huh?

Creator's Sword is one heck of a sword. But i'm more impressed about FByleths base kit. Fury 4 and Wrath, and Even Atk Wave ... that's what i call premium fodder. Basically each skill of her, save for weapon and special, is great stuff to give out. Special will be exclusive, bet on it.
Though i won't pull for her. Red infantry sword is just not a desirable combo for me, same as blue lance flier. Getting a free MByleth with probably the same weapon is enough for me for the moment.

I would appreciate if he had Close Def 4, i need that skill for my Oboro. ^^ Keep the neutral one (for PM1 clears) and try to pull for a spare one to fodder off.

What i don't understand is that two lords are cav ... which means lower BST than Edelgard. It might have been boring, but having a full infantry banner so that all have about the same BST would've been better. Claude gets the biggest stick ... cav AND ranged, so he's also going to have less BST than Dimitri.

100% pulling for Edelgard, i loves me some infantry axe unit. Just leave her alone and she takes care for herself. ^^
Probably going to be rather slow with that passive weapon effect, but i think she will have a shit-ton of HP, Atk and Def, mediocre Res.

I think i might pull for a Dimitri too, simply because i think his new B-skill will be super great on Edelgard. In general, these lull skills look like a great new type of B-skills!
Edelgard not only buffing herself but also removing buffs on enemies and debuff them with an unremovable in-combat debuff will be so.freaking.great on her.
Curious about her Atk, if it's high enough, maybe she's a viable user of the Heavy Blade seal and Galeforce herself through the enemies. If not, Aether on her, and make her even more self-sustaining.

Personally, i don't think anyone is going to drop on this banner. All lords have their fans, all will bring $. And if, for some generous IS miracle, one will drop, it's Dimitri before a new colorless cav archer.
Just because we got Louise doesn't mean IS won't try their shenanigans.

Maybe those lull skills would also be great for Oboro ... for how i plan on using her, she do wants a dull effect, and this one is for both melee and ranged, and a guard effect. Please let CD4 have a guard effect. If not, maybe Warding Stance 4 and a lull skill work well together, too.

Jester37

Oct 25, 2017
Those built in skills for F-Byleth are already pretty damn good, but then they threw in the Creator's Sword and damn... That's one crazy unit.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing jumped out at me, though F!Byleth looks like great fodder.

Interesting that Dimitri and Claude are cavalry, I wonder if that means they'll have unique promotions as cavalry.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing jumped out at me, though F!Byleth looks like great fodder.

Interesting that Dimitri and Claude are cavalry, I wonder if that means they'll have unique promotions as cavalry.

I could see Dimitri getting either the Conqueror or Great Lord class, if they get unique promotions from the Lord class. Great Lord would sure give him a cav mount.

About Claude, in spoilers since it's part of the leak:

Iirc, the leaker said Claude gets a Wyvern after the time-skip.

Edelgard is basically screaming for the Emperor class to return as Empress.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not seeing the Byleths with their sword as a problem, to be honest. While we need to wait for the stats to be mined, there's a chance that they both rock middling Spd, so one could resort to a fast blue unit that doubles by normal Spd comparison. Mages could be a prime counter for them.
And if a player gives them DC, it's at least locking them out other premium skills and in case of FByleth the native Fury 4, making a Wrath build a bit harder to pull off.

The Byleths are probably more of a threat for def teams in Arena and AR, than they are in def teams against you.

Claude could be more annoying in the long term. Cav movement and his debuff in case of this unique bonus threshold calculation can get nasty fast enough. Add in that he handily also removes buffs in combat as a whole ... yeah.

Dimitri's weapon is too situational, imo. I expect him to be similar to L'Ephraim stat-wise, though he's probably not as effective as Eph in running the Galeforce build. L'Eph's (and Edelgard's) passive are much easier to trigger.
Sure, in theory, put him into a team with Duma, he takes care for damaging all enemies at once, and then Dimitri just needs one combat round to have himself and all enemies triggering his passive .... but he has to survive the combat round first.
Could become risky, and he could very fast get weak to something like Vantage.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
For Dimitri people are thinking of using him with death blow and galeforce.
Honestly the least impactful seems to be Edelgard. Not because she is weak, but because she doesn't do something really new

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
As i said, L'Ephs Galeforce build will be more difficult for Dimitri to achieve if his weapon passive doesn't trigger. If he's not at full health but enemies are, or he is and the enemies aren't, he's not going to double, and that's a big factor why L'Eph works so well with that build.

Edelgard doesn't do anything new, yes. But she's still having a powercreep over L'Eph, the same passive with special cooldown reduction on top of it. So the thing is, while what she's doing isn't new, she does is better save for less movement compared to L'Eph. ^^

StAidan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not seeing the Byleths with their sword as a problem, to be honest. While we need to wait for the stats to be mined, there's a chance that they both rock middling Spd, so one could resort to a fast blue unit that doubles by normal Spd comparison. Mages could be a prime counter for them.
And if a player gives them DC, it's at least locking them out other premium skills and in case of FByleth the native Fury 4, making a Wrath build a bit harder to pull off.

The Byleths are probably more of a threat for def teams in Arena and AR, than they are in def teams against you.

I generally agree. It's a great sword, but won't be especially game-breaking. It appears to be aimed at countering armor B skills specifically, which actually limits its utility outside of PvE and maybe Arena Assault. I think it'll also be decent in AR def teams though, because Special Fighter armors are common omega tanks in T21 offense teams (mine included).

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
As i said, L'Ephs Galeforce build will be more difficult for Dimitri to achieve if his weapon passive doesn't trigger. If he's not at full health but enemies are, or he is and the enemies aren't, he's not going to double, and that's a big factor why L'Eph works so well with that build.

Edelgard doesn't do anything new, yes. But she's still having a powercreep over L'Eph, the same passive with special cooldown reduction on top of it. So the thing is, while what she's doing isn't new, she does is better save for less movement compared to L'Eph. ^^
Like i said, savage blow seems to solve this problem. specially in AR that very rarely wont have units being hit by it

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I generally agree. It's a great sword, but won't be especially game-breaking. It appears to be aimed at countering armor B skills specifically, which actually limits its utility outside of PvE and maybe Arena Assault. I think it'll also be decent in AR def teams though, because Special Fighter armors are common omega tanks in T21 offense teams (mine included).

If you manage to get the AI not waste all other units first on that omega tank. ^^

I'm curious now ... there's still the all breaker builds for the Hectors. Wonder how they will work against Byleth.

Like i said, savage blow seems to solve this problem. specially in AR that very rarely wont have units being hit by it

You said that where? And Savage Blow either locks him out of a more useful C-skill, like a smoke skill or some self-buff via wave skill or Edelgards new Rouse Atk/Def, or it locks him out of the Heavy Blade seal that he basically needs to get this build working to begin with. And Eir / the herons could undo the Savage Blow damage, too.

It's just easier to make sure that no. of enemies >= number of allies. Especially for a cav with the higher movement range.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
If you manage to get the AI not waste all other units first on that omega tank. ^^

I'm curious now ... there's still the all breaker builds for the Hectors. Wonder how they will work against Byleth.

You said that where? And Savage Blow either locks him out of a more useful C-skill, like a smoke skill or some self-buff via wave skill or Edelgards new Rouse Atk/Def, or it locks him out of the Heavy Blade seal that he basically needs to get this build working to begin with. And Eir / the herons could undo the Savage Blow damage, too.

It's just easier to make sure that no. of enemies >= number of allies. Especially for a cav with the higher movement range.
Lol I said Death Blow instead of Savage blow
Anyway the strategy is to make him go with full health and attack someone, after that he is in WoM range and with savage blow help he can double again

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Reinhardt still one rounds FByleth. :D

M!Byleth too, since he is also sword and could very well get the same weapon.

And yup, Reinhardt: the solution to take down powerful sword units:

FwxlUzv.png

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Free* Distant Counter is a go.

$60, free what's the difference. You do get a bonus game as well, so that's a nice extra.

Aero

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for people to fodder off Byleth for distant counter then complain when he starts being used in F2P guides.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
I laugh at EVERYONE who fodders off F2P 5* units.
I mean I wouldn't consider him F2P by technicality if you had to pay $60 to get the free copy in the first place.

Also FYI, Pheonixmaster1 pointed out he won't use him in his F2P guides.

Still either way, he has too good of a base kit to even consider foddering off. Same weapon and special as F!Byleth unsurprisingly; but DC, chill speed and odd speed wave. Just need for even speed wave to be a sacred seal and slap it on him!

And he's gonna be summonable starting on this month's mythic banner, but won't be then mythic unit itself. So that makes two new units then, probably the first time a legendary/mythic banner had his honor.

And lol, Ruptured Sky is inheritable!

Last edited:

Okamiden

Oct 25, 2017
So which realistically +10able unit wants brazen atk/spd 4? I'm thinking Tharja since I already gave flashing blade 4 to my +10 Nino (and she's disgusting even on abyssal)

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Weird to not even consider him as an option since a large part of the player base will get him for free and he has all the right tools for f2p guides:
Ignores follow-up skill, special charging skills, DC, has a special that scales very well against the inflated stats of the enemies

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone can have access to Lyn and Veronica (whether or not they did is another story), not everyone has access to m!Byleth.
Technically everyone has access to m!byleth. Also some people dont like to feel forced to pick a unit that they dont like because it is going to be useful for f2p guides so i think it is a similar case to m!Byleth

Deleted member 9972

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Technically everyone has access to m!byleth. Also some people dont like to feel forced to pick a unit that they dont like because it is going to be useful for f2p guides so i think it is a similar case to m!Byleth

Everyone has access to any unit if they wanted to shell out $300 (barring some very unfortunate luck). The point of f2p guides is to not have to consider money as a potential restriction towards completion. Not everyone owns a Switch, so not everyone can access m!byleth without spending that $300.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I would feel pretty locked out if M!Byleth was in F2P guides. Shelling out $360 plus tax isn't affordable for everyone.
I dont see the problem with him being in optional F2P guides like Veronica. Also he is free for everyone that was going to buy the game anyway, and that is probably the huge majority of the people that are going to get him.

Ahnez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
that is probably the huge majority of the people that are going to get him.
You need a reference/citation to say this though.

It doesn't really matter if getting 3H conveniently gets you the unit, if you have to pay for it, then its not free, and thus not free to play friendly. PM1 made the right decision - why would he make things harder for himself if he can avoit it? People already complain when he uses Veronica, as far as I know.

And also, its not like current content requires an unit like Byleth to be beatable.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
You need a reference/citation to say this though.

It doesn't really matter if getting 3H conveniently gets you the unit, if you have to pay for it, then its not free, and thus not free to play friendly. PM1 made the right decision - why would he make things harder for himself if he can avoit it? People already complain when he uses Veronica, as far as I know.

And also, its not like current content requires an unit like Byleth to be beatable.
I am not saying he should use him, but consider him an option, say that after the game has launched he does a poll just like he did with veronica. If enough people has Byleth he could be a an alternative clear option like Vero is.

Also I dont think Byleth is F2P but I disagree with the notion that you are paying 60 or even 360 for him, the game and the console have value by itself and would cost the same regardless if Byleth was bonus or not.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You need to buy a phone/tablet to play FEH and that can run you more than $360.

That's a dumb argument. If you don't have a switch, you're still perfectly able to play heroes.

If you don't have a tablet or phone, you're not playing heroes.

M Byleth is not a f2p unit. Getting him in heroes requires spending money and/or orbs. There is no method to obtain him without doing one of those two. It's really damned simple.

By that absurd logic of getting a unit for "free" for buying a $60 game, you might as well have added new years fjorm and laevatein to the "f2p" units list, since you got them for "free" by buying a $75 pack.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9972

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because we're on a gaming forum, it's easy to look around and think that everyone who plays FEH will buy the new Fire Emblem game. But just from anecdotal experience outside of this forum, I have two other friends that play this game. One of them loves the Fire Emblem series but doesn't own a Switch since he's in medical school and has very limited free time. The other person is my wife, and obviously we're not getting a second Switch and buying the game twice.

Just about everyone in a FEH forum on a dedicated gaming website is going to get M Byleth. But that doesn't mean the rest of the population will.

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017
That's a dumb argument. If you don't have a switch, you're still perfectly able to play heroes.

If you don't have a tablet or phone, you're not playing heroes.

M Byleth is not a f2p unit. Getting him in heroes requires spending money and/or orbs. There is no method to obtain him without doing one of those two. It's really damned simple.

By that absurd logic of getting a unit for "free" for buying a $60 game, you might as well have added new years fjorm and laevatein to the "f2p" units list, since you got them for "free" by buying a $75 pack.

Saying one "must spend X amount of money for something free" is a dumb argument. "Free" is subjective and attaching an arbitrary dollar figure to obtaining Byleth is just hyperbole.

If you were already playing a preordered 3H on your already owned Switch then he's free and a nice bonus. See what I did there?

It's the same argument about free PS plus games. Some will argue the games are not free since you need a PS+ subscription (and by extension a PS4, and a TV, and an internet connection, and electricity), while others will argue that they pay for PS+ for the online and the free games are a bonus.

"Free" is a marketing term. Spell out the conditions and let people make their own conclusions as to how free it is.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
kronyas looking pretty good, nice art too
edelgard has monster attack lmao, and fbyleth is sitting at 40 speed damn

dimitri basically has quan's spread

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Ehh.. I think Kronya's design is one of the worst, Fates level.
She even does the T & A pose when damaged. What a good way to promote your new game IS

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
Ehh.. I think Kronya's design is one of the worst, Fates level.
She even does the T & A pose when damaged. What a good way to promote your new game IS
well the art itself is good. i imagine her to be the sonia of this game or something.
on a related note i think summer ursula has the best art in the game, that special art is so cool

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
The art is well made, yes
But I just can't take it seriously

When is that character archetype supposed to be 'taken seriously'? It's a bit unfair to judge a design by what it's not even trying to do - it's like saying Mycen didn't have enough deep cut cleavage to be adequately titillating.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
When is that character archetype supposed to be 'taken seriously'? It's a bit unfair to judge a design by what it's not even trying to do - it's like saying Mycen didn't have enough deep cut cleavage to be adequately titillating.
You are assuming I am ok with the archetype to begin with, I am not. Also the archetype not being supposed to be taken seriously doesn't excuse its design problems

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Saying one "must spend X amount of money for something free" is a dumb argument. "Free" is subjective and attaching an arbitrary dollar figure to obtaining Byleth is just hyperbole.

If you were already playing a preordered 3H on your already owned Switch then he's free and a nice bonus. See what I did there?

No. Just because you already decided to spend the $60 doesn't make what you get for it free. There is no free object in this discussion, and because this line of thinking is the right one, all of the f2p guide makers will do absolutely everything in their power to not use Byleth at all.

It's exactly the same as the $75 packs that included a unit for the same price as the orbs would have been otherwise. Obviously nobody wants those counted as a thing you need for guides, and the same will be true for Byleth.

Status
Not open for further replies.