Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
And yeah, Dimitri looks awful. Edelgard looks elegant, Claude looks cool and confident... but Dimitri...
He doesn't look worse than any of the others ,(like the main character)

Everybody looks super generic, Claude even has the worst students they look super nerdy

Last edited:

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Golden Deer are supposed to be low nobles and commoners, although it's not really apparent since everyone is just wearing uniforms.

Completely different cultures are unlikely because they'd push towards their own class sets like in Fates, since everyone should be wearing different outfits, but the dual class sets likely only existed in order to push the version split.
I know there are some commoners but we don't know what that really entails. Rich merchants are technically commoners. Being selected to go to an elite officers academy isn't exactly normal. It's way different from just being some foot soldier or farmer that get's caught up in a larger conflict and recruited into a party.

As for different cultures, that's a poor excuse, there's always ways to handle things.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This bummed me out too. The overall diversity of the characters so far is very non-existent. The series has never had a great diversity of characters, at least racially, but it generally had a decent mix of young and old characters, noble and common, etc. That's not very apparent here so far sadly. I was hoping with the much greater attention to detail and development of the setting they'd continue to branch out from generic Medeival Europe like they had in Fates with blending in Feudal Japan, but nope. We've got three super Celtic/Germanic inspired nations and white ass cast so far. I really wish they would branch out more to feature different cultures and societies. Moorish Spain/Africa would be a great region/period to pull from. Amazing architecture, fashion, culture and racial diversity all over the place. Plus so many others.
Didn't they already confirm that Golden Deer has more commonner than nobles?
Also, while not being black, Claude is the first lord to not be white

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's definitely something off in the majority of the characters and the protagonists looks dead inside. I like the main trio tho

Shame that she's not doing that well in the character designer depart

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I also think the art style is a little off. I don't think it looks ugly, but there's something about the way they look that just feels off.

Exede

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
F7Qxnra.png

yup its the eyes i think

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Didn't they already confirm that Golden Deer has more commonner than nobles?
Also, while not being black, Claude is the first lord to not be white
Claude is great and all but I wouldn't exactly say he's non-white, I would say he's ambiguous at best, which is good but they need more clear cut instances too. Basilio and Flavia were actually clearly non-white, Devdan was black. Claude could easily be said to just have a tan.

Alboreo

Jan 31, 2018
The only character that really stands out to me design-wise is Claude, who looks awesome. Dorothea's hat triggers me, if I'm being honest. I don't think the designs are bad overall, though, just a bit dull across the board. I hope that they'll show off some characters with more varied designs in the coming months.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
I think they look really good, I honestly don't get the hate.
And it's great that FE is still changing illustrators as usual.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
I think the designs look pretty good overall. Some of the male designs are a little weak, but I think all the female character designs are pretty solid... though Fem Byleth's attire definitely doesn't look appropriate for her role. That amuses me more than it bothers me though, so overall I'm fine with her design.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
Eyes are fine for me, it's clearly a different style. A bunch of the ears show the roughness in lineart/shading, but a great many players will probably view everything in handheld mode, so I dunno.

Last edited:

Dhoom

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I'm really worried about the visuals. The in-game graphics and FMV's look absolutely dreadful, I wonder if Kori Tecmo had something to do with it or IntSys are struggling to make a 3D game on stronger hardware.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
The problem is there is a severe lack of shading or depth, the edges of the hairstyles are like someone just used Photoshop's bevel and emboss tool and called it a day. Seriously, just look at Raphael, Lorentz and Caspar.

Laur

Oct 27, 2017
A bit of a step down from the fates designs, a pretty big step down from echoes designs. Something about all there designs comes of so flat to me.

Hogger

Nov 18, 2017
The designs are just continuing the downward trend since Gamecube / Wii era Fire Emblem. Budget anime doodles in this game and that's a shame.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Well, the art is generally rather unremarkable. The most distinctive characters are in Edelgard's team overall. Dimitri is just boring although some of the characters in his team are kinda appealing. Claude looks good by himself but the rest of his group is dull.

I REALLY hope they all have great personalities at least.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it looks wrong but I prefer awakening/fates, echoes, and heroes art styles more. It's definitely the worst style so far in a modern take even warriors looked better. The male characters seem to be all terrible although I need to see more full designs instead of just the portraits. I would have liked them to do more of a throwback art style and done some sort of retro anime look.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I would have liked them to do more of a throwback art style and done some sort of retro anime look.
Before the game was shown I was really hoping they'd do something like Ni No Kuni. Those really 2D looking stylized character models in more richly detailed environments to really make them pop and stand out. But they went with something pretty bog standard. There's some degree of cell shading to the characters but not a lot. Which is a shame as the best thing we've seen from the game is some 2D animation segments which look awesome. Too bad the whole game can't look like that.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I actually don't mind these portraits. The art style, for whatever reason, reminds me very much of SMTIV from the 3DS. I wish perhaps the hairstyles weren't so silly on some of the characters, but the art overall I like.

Honestly, I thought the designs looked like the SMTIV artist's work a bit especially Claude. Masayuki Doi, yeah. Except this game has better shading on the character designs than Doi's work in SMTIV.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Claude is great and all but I wouldn't exactly say he's non-white, I would say he's ambiguous at best, which is good but they need more clear cut instances too. Basilio and Flavia were actually clearly non-white, Devdan was black. Claude could easily be said to just have a tan.
A tan in the middle ages tho?

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I will say that the particular style of cel shading used isn't doing her art any favors and the more painterly effect employed Echoes Shadow of Valentia (or Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters for this artist, specifically) would have worked better.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
A tan in the middle ages tho?
Many Mediterranean peoples exist who have naturally darker skin pretty much exactly like what Claude looks like. White Europeans aren't all pale as bleached paper. Olive and darker complexions exist. Yes he could be mixed race African, but he could also just be from Greece or Southern Italy. That ambiguity is fine and good, but him being the only real one that you could point to in the entire known cast so far and reasonably say he could be non-white isn't great. There should be a lot more diversity including multiple characters that are not at all ambiguous. That Danved is the only character in the series with unmistakable African features isn't great. These games like have routinely casts of 70-120+ when you include non-party member named NPCs.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Many Mediterranean peoples exist who have naturally darker skin pretty much exactly like what Claude looks like. White Europeans aren't all pale as bleached paper. Olive and darker complexions exist. Yes he could be mixed race African, but he could also just be from Greece or Southern Italy. That ambiguity is fine and good, but him being the only real one that you could point to in the entire known cast so far and reasonably say he could be non-white isn't great. There should be a lot more diversity including multiple characters that are at all ambiguous. That Danved is the only character in the series with distinct African features isn't great. These games like have routinely casts of 70-120+ when you include non-party member named NPCs.
He being mediterranean would still make him non white, i never said all europeans are white either

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The designs seem fine to me. Better than Fates, but not as good as Echoes. It is hard to beat Hidari's designs though.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
All the FE in history "looked like anime/manga" as manga artists and illustrators are the character designers of the projects.

Yea, I'm aware of that.

Merely pointing out that while the past FE games have all "looked like anime", I agree with the OP that it looks a bit underwhelming.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
For those who keeps mentioning Hidari, as i read on Reddit a while ago, it's worth noting that FE 16 has the entire game fully rendered in 3D (the first entry in the series that has that), including characters even for dialogues.

it's not 100% guaranteed that Hidari's style would be better than this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem...is_fe15_style_would_not_work_in_fe16_a_brief/
I mean, that's the job of 3D artists to make the 2D character art look good and fit in. It ultimately is linked to this.
Hidari's artstyle has been used in multiple 3D games already (like Atelier), and it works well.

I'm on the side of thinking characters look good in FE16 anyway.