Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
Yeah, honestly, I've said this since the first trailer. They look so incredibly awful. The otome - samey look for all of the characters drives me up the wall.

I will always defend trashy but interesting and beautiful designs like Camilla rather than the literal whos we are getting for this game.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
To be honest even if I think every FE looks like anime, specially the Kaga ones, I think the Tellius games doesn't pass the anime feeling. So in a scale of "anime", it is in the rock bottom.
Yeah, honestly, I've said this since the first trailer. They look so incredibly awful. The otome - samey look for all of the characters drives me up the wall.

I will always defend trashy but interesting and beautiful designs like Camilla rather than the literal whos we are getting for this game.
Please defend camilla and explain how her design is "beautiful" then

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
Please defend camilla and explain how her design is "beautiful" then

It's all subjective and I am no kind of character design expert. If you already disliked her design, I doubt you will like it after whatever explanation I could give you.

Is she trashy? Yeah. Can I still find her stunning? Also yeah.

There is a reason why she became so popular, no matter how many people want to delude themselves it's just because of incest or/and tits.

(Wish I could link to the source, if anyone knows it, I will edit this post.)

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Not a fan of most aspects of this one, including the art. Oh well, Summer is packed anyways.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
There is a reason why she became so popular, no matter how many people want to delude themselves it's just because of incest or/and tits.
You should tell this to IS, because the way they treat her in Heroes they seem to believe it is because of what you mentioned

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
I don't exactly agree with you there OP. I feel like they look fine. It's just that the style is a bit different to what we're used to from FE.

Also Sothis more Loli bait than Nowi? That's not even close, and unlike the majority of people here, I actually like Nowi.

Edit: Female Byleth needs some pants

Last edited:

Barrylocke

Oct 25, 2017
The designs are fine in terms of clothes and color choice, but the general look, I'm not a fan of. At least the fanart will be fine.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I have way more issues with the characters as they look in-game than I do with their character art. It's not my favorite but it's not horrendous or anything. I just wish they had gone with something a bit more striking visually, especially with the character models. I think if the game had a more unique rendering style it would look a lot better and translate Chinatsu's designs better too.

40119al_mamoon.jpg

Hidari's with some tweaks and especially the Tellius and GBA character art would translate very well into this style.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is a weird critique when they look fine? There isn't any extremely noticeable about their face shapes or body poses to suggest bad design. In fact I would say they are actually quite nice looking.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I wonder, if it has to do with an otome artist designing and drawing the new characters; designs that appeal more to women in Japan. Similar thing happen a couple years back where many anime fans were put off from watching Samurai Flamenco, because the character designer for it has a reputation for doing art for otome vn and games. Funnily enough, the artist is Chinatsu Kurahana, who is the same artist for this game.

Deleted member 24624

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The characters look like they belong in some dating sim game on the Vita rather than Fire Emblem. It's the main reason I'm passing on it, but I didn't care for Fates either. Hope they continue the Echoes line of games. Really dislike what they're doing with modern Fire Emblem post Awakening.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder, if it has to do with an otome artist designing and drawing the new characters; designs that appeal more to women in Japan. Similar thing happen a couple years back where many anime fans were put off from watching Samurai Flamenco, because the character designer for it has a reputation for doing art for otome vn and games. Funnily enough, the artist is Chinatsu Kurahana, who is the same artist for this game.

It's not because she's an otome artist, even more because the only good designs are the two men on the main trio. The rest is really forgettable, which is the same for the female characters.

PogiJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully Lorentz is a Manakete so he can change into something better looking.

We'll call it the Lorentz Transformation.

Screenshot_116.jpg

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
The protagonist designs suck, especially the female one.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
The eyes seem a bit off but overall not sure I dislike the cast. It's easy to call them generic and bland when you haven't played the game and there's no context to the character. From what we've seen so far seems alright with me, although Echoes designs were extremely good, seemed like some of the best the series ever had.

I will take this opportunity to trash both Byleths though - those are the only designs I find actually bad.

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
It looks like they're not looking at anything in particular. It's less noticeable when their eyes are smaller.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
I um...like the designs? Wish there were a few more Raphael types of faces - dudes got character

TrueHero

Feb 24, 2018
I agree, really think the art and character designs don't hold up to awakening, fates, and definitely not echoes. Pretty disappointed in most of what I've seen with the game.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
They look fine to me?

Bear in mind these are head portraits, and those tend to be pretty boring on their own

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
The whole game is ugly to me but that's just one small part of why I've lost interest in fire emblem. I can't stand the direction they've taken the franchise.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
They are run-of-the-mill anime style character designs. Don't make much sense, are very superficial and to varying degrees fanservicey. In that sense they are not bad or good. The crowd they are addressing with these designs will love them.

Oct 31, 2017
Fire Emblem artstyle peaked for me with Sacred Stones. Everything else after became gradually worse ,with the exception of Echoes.

Ninferno

Nov 6, 2017
Looks super generic and bland, yes. Among those 50 or so only Claude looks interesting, others are generically anime.

Shadow Walker

Oct 27, 2017
This used to be one of my favorite series after Radiant Dawn it's been down hill ever since for me personally. Really saddened by this =(

uaine

Apr 27, 2019
They look way too anime for me but I like some of them especially Raphael. Love my big boys

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I am majorly put-off by the general art direction on Three Houses. Just compare the key art between this game and Awakening. What the hell happened?
This is a concern for me as well. Awakening, and Fates to a degree, had really amazing Key Art. It was clean, modern and really stood out. The rough, almost WIP, faux-drawn w/ physical materials look of these full body portraits and Key Art for Three Houses don't work for me.

When you first saw Awakening's box art it was obvious that it was unique and it would turn some heads and get people to take a closer look. Three Houses' box art, not so much. The most "intriguing" aspect is Claude being upside down which for a lot of people is just confusing and odd looking and not exactly interesting or intriguing. The bright and vibrant colors is really the only great standout aspect for me.

the houses are supposed to be germany, france and uk?
or just germany and france mixed.
I think it's more of a mishmash, but those are probably the primary influencers. I wouldn't be surprised if Leicester's government was somewhat modeled after the Swiss Confederacy, though maybe it's instead more like the Protectorate under Cromwell. Both Fergus and Leicester seem to have a number of Scottish influences too. And we've seen those barbarian soldiers wearing kilts.

Saikar

Nov 3, 2017
All the Three Houses characters look so generic and safe to me. It doesn't strike me as fantasy at all. I'm not even talking about sex appeal or anything - there's just nothing that shows any type of personality or profession. Everyone's in some uniform. Where's the armor? Where's the magic? Where's the stunning hair styles?

I think yall ripped on Camilla one too many times for being too in your face and so they scaled it back far, far, far further than was necessary.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who hasn't played a FE before but was really looking forward to giving it a shot here, the art in this one looks pretty disappointing compared to previous entries.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I think yall ripped on Camilla one too many times for being too in your face and so they scaled it back far, far, far further than was necessary.
Camilla was trash and they deserved all the flack they got for her and several other designs. Fates had some great designs but also a few really egregious ones that were totally needless and sunk the discourse and view of the characters as a whole. No one but IS is to blame for that.

Heroes shows they don't give a single fuck about said feedback though as that game has tripled down on Camilla and her design and expanded said sexualization to virtually every other female character. Different people are just likely in charge this go around of the mainline.

Even then it's not the fans fault if IS was infact influenced by their complaints and they can't understand the difference between complaints about Camilla and why she's trash but other characters aren't and thus decide to just neuter them wholesale.

Zoantharia

Oct 30, 2017
Sadly I've got to agree with OP - respect the artist but these portraits just look so odd; some look vaguely CG-ish in that CG anime way (if you know what I mean...)

Just a pity they didn't keep the artstyle from Echoes, as previous posters have mentioned. I'm a huge fan and wish it stuck around longer

Edit: Also, does Nintendo not have the budget to commission some non-CG cutscenes? Call me that guy... but I simply cannot stand CG anime. Just looks wrong, for some reason.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
They look very generic and samey. I am surprised they switched artists at all. Kozaki's character designs were a big reason FE caught on again.
i6KeZ6i.jpg

PEAfKyj.jpg

The character designs in Awakening and Fates were so distinctive, even characters who shared the same class had unique attributes that helped define their visual design and personality. You felt a sense of each character's background and culture. When someone was from a different land, it really came through in their character design. In general there was a brilliant mix of romantic fantasy and modern fashion.

Maybe it's way too early to just 3H, but I am already missing Kozaki.