• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I tried fire emblem awakening, but couldn't really get into it because I would've much preferred playing on a tv.
So this is essentially my first fire emblem game. I'm really enjoying it so far. The Harry Potter comparisons are spot on. Crazy they haven't made an actual Harry Potter game with a similar emphasis on characters.

When you start having to search the monastery for mysteries it felt like such a no brainer. I hope we do get a AAA Harry Potter game one day.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
This is my first Fire Emblem game and I dove straight into the deep end, hard classic. No clue what the hell I'm doing, but it's fun so far.

I've played most games in the series and many other srpgs and it still felt quite overwhelming to me at first, it does start to make sense though

I stil don't like having to choose bewtween training battles and exploring

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
You picked a class with high Dex growth?

No, I mean I CAN'T make it grow by willpower, class or not. My stat ups have been decent, but it's not like I can super force it into dex, I'm already level 18 with my Byleth too, so I can't do much more now.
There's a few people I would like to recruit, but they all need Dex...
The worst is also that I also really need more mages, but those all need Faith and Reason and Magic as recruiting requirements, but my Byleth is a Mercenary class (14% Crit, it's ridiculous) and I really don't want to spend ages getting magic up.

I'll have to resign to getting my Blue Lions crew through this without exchange students at this point.
If I do a next run, I'll keep an better eye on stat requirements from the start.

Also Dimitri is pestering me for sword skills now, so I made him a Lord and it's really not going well. I'll probably make him stick with Cavalier unless I can level up his sword abilities fast. At least swords have higher hit chances, my Dimitri has a knack for missing 91% chance hits with his lance while letting people with 77% hit chance hit him twice. Not that it matters because he's tanky as hell.

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
I've played most games in the series and many other srpgs and it still felt quite overwhelming to me at first, it does start to make sense though

I stil don't like having to choose bewtween training battles and exploring

Yeah, I did nothing but explore for the first couple of months, and now I'm starting to feel it..level 8 missions when half my people are 6. The last 3 weeks I've done battle after battle to raise their level and now have 4 people 10+ on advanced jobs. I'm actually tempted to restart and have a proper path for who I want to level as what class, as I've been a bit inconsistent early on.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
First FE game here, bought it solely based on the impressions in this thread and I'm having such a blast with this game.
I'm a huge Persona fan and that's probably why this one really clicks with me, with the Support system and the houses and everything.

Went Black Eagles and I'm fucking loving this cast.
I especially like Petra (who will most likely be my romance choice) and Bernadette (Bernie's backstory in particular is just... wow)

It's all a little overwhelming, but very exciting at the same time.
Still trying to figure out how the recruiting works and how to best spend my time.
I'm doing quite a bit of fighting, feels like I should in order to keep up with the missions at the end of the month, but I'm honestly not sure if it's all that necessary (playing on Normal Classic).
Some characters like Edelgard are really strong already, she's basically a wall the enemies run into and they just get butchered.

Also, anybody know when you unlock the blacksmith?
And what's the point of weeding and similar skills?

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Just got to Part 2

source.gif

Folie

Dec 16, 2017
Chibs Blacksmith is I want to say around chapt 6 or so. A side quest will pop up when you can get it. As for the plants, you get fruits/veg that can be cooked, as well as items that give permanent stat boosts occasionally.

As for recruiting, I never had much success with matching their skill requirements, but people wanted to join when at support level B and above, or C with a lot of buttering up. Use gifts bought from Eastern and Southern merchants (a side quest pops up, and then you need to do a side battle) after looking up who likes what (IGN has a good one) and also have meals with the ones you want. Finally, bring them for mission assistance (you get one per month) and have them stick next to the main character.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
oh it definitely is. Aside from that first time you fight a monster, I don't know if I've used the rewind ability more than two or three times ever. Most battles consist of me throwing the most OP frontliners into the middle of everything and watching my archers and mages eat them up as they walk in.
Being able to see a prediction of who the enemy will target is really handy. There's very few knife edge turns where you think PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DON'T ATTACK THIS UNIT. You can just steer someone into the danger area to move that red line over to them instead.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Being able to see a prediction of who the enemy will target is really handy. There's very few knife edge turns where you think PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DON'T ATTACK THIS UNIT. You can just steer someone into the danger area to move that red line over to them instead.
Yeah absolutely, if anything that is probably the single easiest factor in the game now that you mention it. I do that exact thing ALL the time. Skirting their attack range is one thing - that goes back to like shining force and shit, but literally edging someone else into position and splitting the aggro on two mobs that are right next to each other? That would require a lot of thought and knowledge in most games, but this literally tells you, so it's quite easy.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
Chibs Blacksmith is I want to say around chapt 6 or so. A side quest will pop up when you can get it. As for the plants, you get fruits/veg that can be cooked, as well as items that give permanent stat boosts occasionally.

As for recruiting, I never had much success with matching their skill requirements, but people wanted to join when at support level B and above, or C with a lot of buttering up. Use gifts bought from Eastern and Southern merchants (a side quest pops up, and then you need to do a side battle) after looking up who likes what (IGN has a good one) and also have meals with the ones you want. Finally, bring them for mission assistance (you get one per month) and have them stick next to the main character.
Got it! Thanks for replying and clearing things up!

THANKS

Prophet of Regret
Oct 22, 2018
Is there a way in game to see students likes/dislikes if they're not in my house? I really don't want to use a guide. I'm swamped in lost items.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way in game to see students likes/dislikes if they're not in my house? I really don't want to use a guide. I'm swamped in lost items.
I feel like you can o nthe support list if you hit R to go to other houses. But...either way the intent is that you learn about their personalities.

still, you can brute force it, which meant pulling a guide up never felt like cheating to me - you can offer the same shit to everyone, they won't eat it or get mad if it's not theirs, which is nice for some since sometimes the description is way too vague and could be several people.

THANKS

Prophet of Regret
Oct 22, 2018
I feel like you can o nthe support list if you hit R to go to other houses. But...either way the intent is that you learn about their personalities.

still, you can brute force it, which meant pulling a guide up never felt like cheating to me - you can offer the same shit to everyone, they won't eat it or get mad if it's not theirs, which is nice for some since sometimes the description is way too vague and could be several people.
I had no idea you could do support conversations with other houses! Yeah I've found that I'm brute forcing.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
I can confirm I gave lost items to her before, at least once. I also heard that her recruitment is affected by picking male or female Byleth, I am playing as a female Byleth, maybe that changes things?

I definitely gave Hilda a lost item that was hers, and I also have a recruit options for her.
I read somewhere that your Byleth gender affects this, but maybe it's also another choice, or if you personally killed her in the first mock battle, no idea.

Is this a known bug or something? For several in game months, I've noticed I can't seem to recruit/gift/lost items to Hilda at all. I've got a couple lost items that I know belong to her, but I can never give them to her because the option is never there.

The character is deemed "unrecruitable" for story reasons (bosses and main retainers it seems). As such, you can't "speak" to them.

I assume it's a bug and you weren't supposed to get those items in the first place. I never got items for other "unrecruitable" characters.

I'm playing F!Byleth, Black Eagles, and can't seem to return items to Hilda or (I just discovered this) Claude. I have like five or six things sitting in my inventory that I can't give them, it's very weird.

I don't think it has anything to do with direct KOs in the first mock battle because iirc my Byleth finished off a couple of other characters as well, but I could be wrong.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea you could do support conversations with other houses! Yeah I've found that I'm brute forcing.
Yeah they have interconnected EVERYTHING. That's why I balked when people said they didn't want to recruit anyone, as if it led to a more pure experience or something - it means you're guaranteed to miss out on stuff that way as well.

There's even specific dialogue in many situations when they've joined your house that wouldn't exist if they hadn't.

I've been playing Deers, post skip every other defected character has had stuff that I don't THINK would happen if I hadn't, Felix going off about how of course Dimitri died because he was worthless or something, Ingrid about her connection to uh...whatever her name is, the lady that is friends with Claude that visits you like once the entire game, Dorothea had an advice question in class about if it was ok if she ran away rather than kill her former allies in the Empire, etc. It's all minor but it all really helps add some believability to the situation

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I'm just sat at the selection screen and can't decide between Black Eagles or Blue Lions ;__;

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I tried fire emblem awakening, but couldn't really get into it because I would've much preferred playing on a tv.
So this is essentially my first fire emblem game. I'm really enjoying it so far. The Harry Potter comparisons are spot on. Crazy they haven't made an actual Harry Potter game with a similar emphasis on characters.

When you start having to search the monastery for mysteries it felt like such a no brainer. I hope we do get a AAA Harry Potter game one day.

Three Houses is reminding me a lot of

61%2Bu2-tyoLL.jpg

Apollo

Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
hey lorenz you should consider putting your arm down when your talking to people, that looks real exhausting

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
I'm playing F!Byleth, Black Eagles, and can't seem to return items to Hilda or (I just discovered this) Claude. I have like five or six things sitting in my inventory that I can't give them, it's very weird.

I don't think it has anything to do with direct KOs in the first mock battle because iirc my Byleth finished off a couple of other characters as well, but I could be wrong.

From what people experience, it seems that not being able to recruit or gift Hilda could be due to the player picking the Black Eagles. She's recruitable to Blue Lions only it seems.
Not being able to recruit Claude is normal though, the house leaders (and apparently Hubert and Dedue) are off limits for everyone.

I'm just sat at the selection screen and can't decide between Black Eagles or Blue Lions ;__;

Blue Lions welcome you with open arms, also we don't have Dorothea, who is creeping me out.
Just stay away from Felix, he has issues.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
From what people experience, it seems that not being able to recruit or gift Hilda could be due to the player picking the Black Eagles. She's recruitable to Blue Lions only it seems.
Not being able to recruit Claude is normal though, the house leaders (and apparently Hubert and Dedue) are off limits for everyone.

Blue Lions welcome you with open arms, also we don't have Dorothea, who is creeping me out.
Just stay away from Felix, he has issues.
not gonna lie, Dorothea had me tired of looking at her before I even decided if I wanted to buy the game, it's just so blatantly stupid of a design. Post timeskip tho, she really did get much cooler looking fwiw (Let her join my house cause she asked, I didn't try to recruit her).
Noble Noble Noble Noble Noble
Oh, I didn't know what he looked like talking cause pretty sure my screen was just B B B B B walk away.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Woof, I am finding myself more disoriented by this game than I expected. I am confused and seeing symbols or information that I don't know how to interpret. It's embarrassing.

1. How does class mastery work? In actual battle, I noticed that the experience pane includes a meter for "class mastery." At first, I took this to mean it was time to promote the unit because I wouldn't learn any more skills from it. But this didn't make sense because I was reaching class mastery around levels 4 or 5. What does class mastery mean and how to I use it?

2. It took me two whole lessons to realize that the lecture period was simply distributing experience to units based on their interests. I had no idea what was happening. I assume the side chores like horse tending give experience (and rewards) to things like riding, flying etc? So I should only assign those chores to people who would I want to fulfill those classes? I still don't fully understand how the experience and level up stuff at the end of the lecture period works. You can give target experience to students with high motivation, but then everyone gets experience at the end of the lecture?

3. I do not yet understand how battalions are supposed to work or when to use them. I keep forgetting they're there and who has them. I discovered a replenish option which I didn't remember being explained previously, but perhaps I just missed it in the tool tips.

4. Everybody I want to recruit wants Byleth to have certain stats in skills they prefer, but I didn't understand how to raise stats like Magic when the starting class has no magic. I found out (perhaps too late) that professors will give you experience and consume one of your activity points. Knowing this is an option, I wonder why anybody would instead choose to fish or garden, unless they don't consume activity points?

5. I don't understand where class skills are coming from. Bernadette is a noble, for example. This is her class. But she unlocks skills related to archery, like the counter ability. If skills aren't tied to class, what are they tied to? When should you ever promote?

6. Speaking of promotion, I don't understand how it works. You can use a seal to have somebody take an exam and get certified in a certain class. It will then ask you if you want to change to that class. What is the benefit of certifying a unit in a class but not switching to them? If skill unlocks aren't tied to class, when should you promote your units?

7. I reached the point where there were auxilary battles (paralogues, I assume) that I could choose from. But they have recommended levels (5 and 7) that are much, much higher than my units who are mostly around level 2 and 3. It took me about two hours to clear the first one because only Byleth and Edelgard were Level 7 and everyone else was 4 or below. It felt pretty good to clear a map that way where anybody getting hit more than once was certain death, but I can't help but wonder how I was supposed to have leveled my units. Before taking on the Level 7 map, I decided to spend another week schooling, only for the Level 7 map to become unavailable. I definitely could not have cleared that map with the units I had, but spending time to school them blocks off the option. Does it come back?

8. I'm playing on Classic and I reset when somebody falls, but based on the dialog on defeat, it doesn't look like anybody is dying. Is this the case? Can the students not be killed on some maps? I know they couldn't in the practice battles but I expect people to be dying horribly at this point and instead they're like "ack! how embarrassing! bye!"

I've played a lot of Fire Emblem but FE was traditionally very rigid and easy to follow. I am still trying to make sense of all the new systems. I'm about 99% sure this is all going to click for me in a few more chapters and I'm going to end up restarting from the beginning. I hate feeling like I'm wasting time and resources trying to figure out a game once I actually understand it. I'm definitely enjoying the game but I'm as dumb and blank as Byleth when I play it.

Other random things I barely understand...
1. Motivation
2. Authority
3. Choosing which students for singing in the choir, cooking with students, and everything it benefits.
4. Which stats (reason, magic, faith) are connected to which abilities
5. I spent like an hour trying to retrieve Dorothea's undershirt which was, in fact, not one of the "lost items" I'd read so much about.

Last edited:

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Saw this a few pages ago. There's no weapons triangle?! No wonder all my dudes (Caspar especially) keep getting slaughtered. They aren't getting bonuses I thought they would be.

What in the hell is the point of axes then?

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a max rank supports can reach in part 1? Or does it just stop you from seeing the event if you reach a tier that is only available later?

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Woof, I am finding myself more disoriented by this game than I expected. I am confused and seeing symbols or information that I don't know how to interpret. It's embarrassing.

1. How does class mastery work? In actual battle, I noticed that the experience pane includes a meter for "class mastery." At first, I took this to mean it was time to promote the unit because I wouldn't learn any more skills from it. But this didn't make sense because I was reaching class mastery around levels 4 or 5. What does class mastery mean and how to I use it?

2. It took me two whole lessons to realize that the lecture period was simply distributing experience to units based on their interests. I had no idea what was happening. I assume the side chores like horse tending give experience (and rewards) to things like riding, flying etc? So I should only assign those chores to people who would I want to fulfill those classes? I still don't fully understand how the experience and level up stuff at the end of the lecture period works. You can give target experience to students with high motivation, but then everyone gets experience at the end of the lecture?

3. I do not yet understand how battalions are supposed to work or when to use them. I keep forgetting they're there and who has them. I discovered a replenish option which I didn't remember being explained previously, but perhaps I just missed it in the tool tips.

4. Everybody I want to recruit wants Byleth to have certain stats in skills they prefer, but I didn't understand how to raise stats like Magic when the starting class has no magic. I found out (perhaps too late) that professors will give you experience and consume one of your activity points. Knowing this is an option, I wonder why anybody would instead choose to fish or garden, unless they don't consume activity points?

5. I don't understand where class skills are coming from. Bernadette is a noble, for example. This is her class. But she unlocks skills related to archery, like the counter ability. If skills aren't tied to class, what are they tied to? When should you ever promote?

6. Speaking of promotion, I don't understand how it works. You can use a seal to have somebody take an exam and get certified in a certain class. It will then ask you if you want to change to that class. What is the benefit of certifying a unit in a class but not switching to them? If skill unlocks aren't tied to class, when should you promote your units?

7. I reached the point where there were auxilary battles (paralogues, I assume) that I could choose from. But they have recommended levels (5 and 7) that are much, much higher than my units who are mostly around level 2 and 3. It took me about two hours to clear the first one because only Byleth and Edelgard were Level 7 and everyone else was 4 or below. It felt pretty good to clear a map that way where anybody getting hit more than once was certain death, but I can't help but wonder how I was supposed to have leveled my units. Before taking on the Level 7 map, I decided to spend another week schooling, only for the Level 7 map to become unavailable. I definitely could not have cleared that map with the units I had, but spending time to school them blocks off the option. Does it come back?

I've played a lot of Fire Emblem but FE was traditionally very rigid and easy to follow. I am still trying to make sense of all the new systems. I'm about 99% sure this is all going to click for me in a few more chapters and I'm going to end up restarting from the beginning. I hate feeling like I'm wasting time and resources trying to figure out a game once I actually understand it. I'm definitely enjoying the game but I'm as dumb and blank as Byleth when I play it.
1. Your skill levels teach you all of the random abilities and weapon arts, but class mastery ALSO gets you abilities and weapon arts, and it comes specifically from the classes instead of just 'swords' or 'flying'. It is very slow to level, only happens during combat, and usually has pretty sick bonuses.

2. You've actually got all of this spot on. Targetted instruction uses the motivation up (think of it as an F2P mobile game resource) to force feed experience to whichever skill you want for that student. Then the week goes by and whatever their goals are, gain a huge chunk of xp for everyone. Finally, the group activities are both a way to increase support bonds, and to give people riding/flying/armor.

3. Battalions are basically just equippable special moves. You don't really need them, but some of them have pretty cool utility. They DO have passive stat bonuses though, so even if just for that, pay attention when you're buying/equipping them. Some even reduce stats.

4. Fishing and gardening don't consume points. Only things with a <1> next to them will consume an activity point. You can train Byleth by talking to other teachers and spending points, students are simplers ince you can just change their goal and force them to learn.

5. As above, everything except the ONE class skill comes from your skills and not your classes. You should just promote asap, what I do is I check and see how close we are to class mastery, if it's close I'll do a battle or two, if not fuck it. Most of those skillsf rom lower level classes you won't keep around, because you have to equip your abilities (which THAT took me a while to figure out, if you go to your inventory you'll see ability and weapon arts, which are both limited).

6. You might want to unlock a class but not swap to it, not much else to it that isn't included above. Classes have minimum stat requirements and if you don't meet them you get those stats bumped up to the minimum when you learn it, so it can be an ok way to raise low stats for some characters. (IE someone with no str turns into a knight, they might get bumped to 10 str flat, even if they had 7).

7. You need to just work on levelling your weaker units instead of relying on your carrier units getting kills. This is just common for the genre, most of these games start with you babysitting your casters trying to let them get the last hit on things. The optional missions that you can spam tend to be lower level and good for xp farming if you need, and the ones that use an activity point will be equal or higher to your byleth in my experience. IE: when I go right now, my 'spammable' missions or story missions are like level 30 and my optional 'hey a rare monster is here' missions are like 39.

Is there a max rank supports can reach in part 1? Or does it just stop you from seeing the event if you reach a tier that is only available later?

Your support screen will show a faded 'support chat' icon and let you know you need to advance the story, I'm pretty sure it still tracks points behind the scenes though, and it just becomes available as soon as it can.

Schmeedtz

Nov 6, 2017

8. I'm playing on Classic and I reset when somebody falls, but based on the dialog on defeat, it doesn't look like anybody is dying. Is this the case? Can the students not be killed on some maps? I know they couldn't in the practice battles but I expect people to be dying horribly at this point and instead they're like "ack! how embarrassing! bye!"

1. Motivation
2. Authority
3. Choosing which students for singing in the choir, cooking with students, and everything it benefits.
5. I spent like an hour trying to retrieve Dorothea's undershirt which was, in fact, not one of the "lost items" I'd read so much about.
Hit the menu and there is an option with tuturials for all of this.

Another good place to look is the FE reddit or serenesforest.net, lots of tips and excel sheets there with all the skills and mastery's mapped out.

LasNochesGin

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 16, 2019

1. Motivation
2. Authority
Motivation is the stat that allows you to instruct the student. Low motivation equals less instructions time.

authority is the stat that allows you to pick better battalions

choirs,food, etc boosts your relationship whit them

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Regarding the death stuff: I'm not sure why, but the couple times it happened to me pre-skip it didn't look like anything really happened either, then post skip it did the expected dramatic 'holy shit that fool is dead' slowdown and dialogue. No idea if that's just a weird resource they didn't want to invest into the younger models or what, but everything else just transitions between teenager and adult versions fine.

1. Motivation is just a resource to prevent you from spam teaching the same students every time, it forces you to either re-motivate them (IE: interact with them exploring, or rest), or to pick someone else.
2. Authority is just a skill that does mostly battalion related stuff, like your battalion recharges on its own or does more damage etc. It also limits which battalions you can equip, and higher rarity battalions definitely do more interesting things.
3. Choir is for building bonds between two students, and for raising your authority and their faith. It's mostly the first thing though, that took me a while to really understand - most activities focus on Byleth + studen, choir focuses on student + student more. Cooking is to gain support with them and give you stat buffs for the month. Eating at dinner is to build support and refill motivation.
4. Reason Magic and Faith aren't stats, they're skillsets. Reason is attack magic, faith is healing. Magic is the stat, and it affects all of them.
5. Yeah, I expected that to be some weird side quest when I saw lost items pop up.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Thanks for the various replies so far. Going to probably spend the work day reading up on systems and progressions and restart tonight. It's tough because a lot of the Google results you get are vapid clickbait.

"5 Things I Wish I Knew When I Started Three Houses!" and the list is like "you can fast travel" and "you can find lost items." 🙄

Status
Not open for further replies.