• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I heard it mentioned in a let's play video by the commentators, and then I searched info on it on gamefaqs, and apparently...

If you kill Dedue before he sacrifices himself to become a demonic beast, something different plays out.
Correct.
Killing Dedue post-transformation gives the much better scene. I'm a little annoyed I missed it on my playthrough.

Oh, huh.

In my playthrough I actually saw him transform, but Pulsed back several times trying to figure out how to get Felix over to him first. Because I yet again foolishly assumed there'd be unique dialogue for someone of the same house fighting him (and that this may not happen if he transformed first and couldn't respond), when there was yet again not anything gained by doing this and so I only became more frustrated.

In any case, Felix blasting him with some magic pre-transformation was the death that stuck, so that's what I saw the result of. Which had Dimitri commenting on his death, but I guess he didn't really die (yet), as at the end of the map he was with Dimitri as he died as well...?

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, huh.

In my playthrough I actually saw him transform, but Pulsed back several times trying to figure out how to get Felix over to him first. Because I yet again foolishly assumed there'd be unique dialogue for someone of the same house fighting him (and that this may not happen if he transformed first and couldn't respond), when there was yet again not anything gained by doing this and so I only became more frustrated.

In any case, Felix blasting him with some magic pre-transformation was the death that stuck, so that's what I saw the result of. Which had Dimitri commenting on his death, but I guess he didn't really die (yet), as at the end of the map he was with Dimitri as he died as well...?
I interpret it as Dedue and Dimitri dying together side-by-side. If you killed Dedue as a demonic beast, this wouldn't have happened and instead you see a final confrontation between Dimitri and Edelgard. I feel like defeating Dedue as a beast was the intended scenario because there's a whole art piece to go with the Edelgard and Dimitri dialogue.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So... Just finished the Blue Lions path last night.

I'm assuming that wasn't the 'correct' path as there are *many* unanswered questions.

So, what is the path I should choose in NG+ for the 'right' ending?

Mos Def

Sep 17, 2019
I finally finished it and this was my first fire emblem game.
Now even considering buying a 3DS to play other fire emblems.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I finally finished it and this was my first fire emblem game.
Now even considering buying a 3DS to play other fire emblems.

Yeah I was really enjoying Awakening but got to a level where no matter what I did someone would die and it infuriated me.

The rewind system is a such a welcome QOL feature that I hope it remains in every FE game going forward.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I missed that statement then. Any other hints as to what the DLC will be?
Some kind of side story, not taking place after or slotting into the main stories. Past that, nada.

Hopefully there's some kind of 5th route (or at least something to round out Crimson Flower) coming down the pipe after that, though.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
The rewind system is a such a welcome QOL feature that I hope it remains in every FE game going forward.
Same. I'm so done with having to do full map resets due to an errant critical, or the boss of a map suddenly moving. Fire Emblem is long enough as it is.

Plus, I love how they've canonized the player's ability to rest the game as the reason the main character is seen as a master tactician.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
What happens with lower support conversations after time skip? Can I still unlock them? How does that work?

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck it. After playing through the other two houses, I only wanted to recruit two people for Blue Lions, but I've already raised more supports with renown than I intended to, and now there's no turning back. I'm going all in. Save the children!

And spare Claude!

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
What happens with lower support conversations after time skip? Can I still unlock them? How does that work?
Some are seemingly missable. I had one in my first playthrough that said "You missed the opportunity to deepen this bond" or something like that. Most seem to work as normal though, even though the scenes might not fit the context of the story at that point.

Oct 25, 2017
So Maddening eventually gets to be really good? NG, but with DLC. Going through Chapter 7 now. The game throws enough bones at you for it to stop being frustrating after the (awfully designed) initial mock battle. In the Chapter 7 battle, bosses will actually aggro at range, leading to Dmitri to head East counter-attack killing a significant chunk of Golden Deer, until he missed a crucial double on Marianne, who then proceeded to Nosferatu solo a decent chunk of the remaining Blue Lions while I stabilized and healed up in the middle.

Authority + Battalion (stat boosts) + Gambits are super vital. If you know what you're doing with Battalions, you essentially have an extra 5-10 levels worth of key stats. Healing also gives awesome EXP, so my 4 healers + Edelgard lead the pack in my levels.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
200 hours in, i finished my GD playthrough! Got like the worst endings ever (except for Claude Ingrid and Seteth Leonie).

Just BE-E remaining. Gonna take a break for a while though.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
As I understand it, all C-supports involving the MC (bar maybe a few exceptions with the teachers) are missable. The deadline is around the end of part one (it probably varies depending on support themes).

Ed.

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
55 hours in and I barely reached part two. That first chunk might have some pacing issues.

Recruiting also doesn't feel like they've actually been recruited. Like they don't seem to remember they're in your house. They don't appear in cutscenes really. They barely communicate with the original house students. I guess it's understandable because they'd have to write so many combinations, but it just feels so sterile.

Oct 25, 2017
55 hours in and I barely reached part two. That first chunk might have some pacing issues.

Recruiting also doesn't feel like they've actually been recruited. Like they don't seem to remember they're in your house. They don't appear in cutscenes really. They barely communicate with the original house students. I guess it's understandable because they'd have to write so many combinations, but it just feels so sterile.

They end up having a lot of unique things to say when exploring and when fighting their own. There's a ton of cross-house Supports, too. Definitely not sterile or forgotten.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
They end up having a lot of unique things to say when exploring and when fighting their own. There's a ton of cross-house Supports, too. Definitely not sterile or forgotten.
It depends on the student. A lot of people have few to no cross-house Supports, depending on what House they end up in. And he's right about the lack of cutscene presence and relatively small changes to the character, again outside of a few examples.

Oct 25, 2017
It depends on the student. A lot of people have few to no cross-house Supports, depending on what House they end up in. And he's right about the lack of cutscene presence and relatively small changes to the character, again outside of a few examples.

Which recruitable students have no cross supports? I thought everybody had at least 2-3?

Yeah, main cutscenes don't change regardless of who you've recruited or who has ended up on the DL list, but there's a few hundred support scenes between characters that aren't just in the same house.

A lot of the weird recruit explore dialgoes and unique combat dialogue are great, too.

Last edited:

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Which recruitable students have no cross supports? I thought everybody had at least 2-3?

Yeah, main cutscenes don't change regardless of who you've recruited or who has ended up on the DL list, but there's a few hundred support scenes between characters that aren't just in the same house.

A lot of the weird recruit explore dialgoes and unique combat dialogue are great, too.
ah, you might be right. I'd have to go back and double check, but I know at least one Lord only has one cross-house support, and I might've gotten that mixed up.

Oct 25, 2017
ah, you might be right. I'd have to go back and double check, but I know at least one Lord only has one cross-house support, and I might've gotten that mixed up.

Edelgard (1), Dmitri (2), Hubert (0), Dedue (0), and Gilbert (1) are super limited with their cross-house supports, but they aren't recruitable. They tend to have more supports with Church/Knights as compensation, as you are only ever going to see their supports on their own path. Gilbert gets it worst, followed by Hubert. Dedue and Edelgard have good thematic staff supports, at least.

Overall, it is about 300 support scenes within house members and/or Byleth, and about 200 spread across cross-house, Church, and Knights.

Last edited:

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Edelgard (1), Dmitri (2), Hubert (0), Dedue (0), and Gilbert (1) are super limited with their cross-house supports, but they aren't recruitable. They tend to have more supports with Church/Knights as compensation, as you are only ever going to see their supports on their own path.

Overall, it is about 300 support scenes within house members and/or Byleth, and about 200 spread across cross-house, Church, and Knights.
I know Marianne only has 2 supports if you recruit her into the BE, which is a huge bummer, IMO - that's also what I was thinking of. There's a ton of supports, but a lot of the cross-house ones I want most aren't in, like Marianne/Bernie, or Edelgard with, say, Fellix - that would be fascinating.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
Aaannddd the maddening difficulty fell off a cliff. Ch 9 and 10 were easier than expected. I no longer get overwhelmed when surrounded. When in doubt just hunter volley. Cant wait for the timeskip, i want to see how hard the first chapter is with the forced deployment

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo also said we wouldn't get a Switch lite 🤷‍♀️
That was straight out IS's producers, who are overseeing the Expansion Pass's development. The extra story content is probably already locked if they commented that it is side stories, with some new characters thrown in. The backlash for the existence of Revelations probably taught them locking the true ending behind a paywall wasn't a good idea.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Aaannddd the maddening difficulty fell off a cliff. Ch 9 and 10 were easier than expected. I no longer get overwhelmed when surrounded. When in doubt just hunter volley. Cant wait for the timeskip, i want to see how hard the first chapter is with the forced deployment

So the peak is the battle of the eagle and lion? I think I'll give it a try again later, but with the Blue Lions - having a tank will fit my strategies better than the Black Eagles.

Oct 25, 2017
So the peak is the battle of the eagle and lion? I think I'll give it a try again later, but with the Blue Lions - having a tank will fit my strategies better than the Black Eagles.

9 and 10 are a drop in Hard regardless, so they probably aren't good points of comparison.

Battle of the Eagle and the Lion was pretty easy for me after Ingrid's initial pegasus rush.

The peak of the difficulty is the mock battle (which is tuned well beyond what is reasonable), and gaining just a few levels and skills to actually have some influence on your party composition. If you build a good team and use Battalions appropriately, the difficulty doesn't have that many spikes over the next dozen hours.

Last edited:

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017

Some paralogues get crazy with how many units they throw at you, i had to wait a couple of months for some extra level ups for lorenz paralogue.

The battle of the eagle and the lion is more of a stats check because of how crazy strong the lords are, and even then there is no penalty for sacrificing units to finish up the lords as there is no permadeath there. You can turtle the first few turns with little penanlty.

9 and 10 are a drop in Hard regardless, so they probably aren't good points of comparison.

Battle of the Eagle and the Lion was pretty easy for me after Ingrid's initial pegasus rush.

10 was actually harder on all my hard runs haha. But maddening re taught me to be more careful and rely way less on divine pulse as they are mostly used to deny bad level ups. I guess it also helps that i have fewer units so with the extra mastery exp i get to have a more flexible army with above average stats, for instance ive been switching between classes depending on the map like sniper and bishop mercedes, sage and paladin lorenz, peg kinght and swordmaster catherine, etc. All this on a fresh NG run, i want the recolored title screen haha.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
That was straight out IS's producers, who are overseeing the Expansion Pass's development. The extra story content is probably already locked if they commented that it is side stories, with some new characters thrown in. The backlash for the existence of Revelations probably taught them locking the true ending behind a paywall wasn't a good idea.

I don't think it'll happen. It was simply a jest about the simple fact that plans can change.

Oct 25, 2017
Some paralogues get crazy with how many units they throw at you, i had to wait a couple of months for some extra level ups for lorenz paralogue.

The battle of the eagle and the lion is more of a stats check because of how crazy strong the lords are, and even then there is no penalty for sacrificing units to finish up the lords as there is no permadeath there. You can turtle the first few turns with little penanlty.

10 was actually harder on all my hard runs haha. But maddening re taught me to be more careful and rely way less on divine pulse as they are mostly used to deny bad level ups. I guess it also helps that i have fewer units so with the extra mastery exp i get to have a more flexible army with above average stats, for instance ive been switching between classes depending on the map like sniper and bishop mercedes, sage and paladin lorenz, peg kinght and swordmaster catherine, etc. All this on a fresh NG run, i want the recolored title screen haha.

How effectively are you using Gambits? Most Gambits being AoE is great for counteracting the increased enemy count. Hubert dropping massive nukes is fun, killing the target and leaving the others in critical condition.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
How effectively are you using Gambits? Most Gambits being AoE is great for counteracting the increased enemy count. Hubert dropping massive nukes is fun, killing the target and leaving the others in critical condition.

I generally use them to prevent the enemy from moving for a turn, sometimes i can get kills with them with certain characters if targeting squishies like mages or archers but most of the time they take around 50% damage instead so they are not reliable for kills, hunter volley is there for that instead. Right now my problem is that whenever I have the team split like in Hilda/Cyrill paralogue I dont have a reliable dodge tank in both teams so warriors can be a bit of a headache with their high attack and somewhat reliable accuracy, but gambits solve that problem easily.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
should I feel bad for exploiting a low level map to get death blow by just having one wimpy dude wail on edelgard for like 60 turns(maddening btw) because I don't really

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
should I feel bad for exploiting a low level map to get death blow by just having one wimpy dude wail on edelgard for like 60 turns(maddening btw) because I don't really

Nah i did the same, well not quite the same but still. I used broken weapons to get some extra points for certs besides getting the mastery skills. Not my fault healers come with renewal now!

Oct 25, 2017
So "Fire Emblem Discussion" on YouTube has been trying the last boss of GD for NG Maddening No DLC on live... and failing. Even after all of his rewinds, the odds never worked in his favor, eventually praying for Claude to land a 25% crit and missing.

Sub-optimal building will eventually bite you in the ass. No reason to wander into the last boss fight with anybody in their low 30s. You still have to build your team well and evenly or you'll hit a wall. Thee Houses has a lot more going on than any of the other FE games, and Maddening is tuned hard enough for virtually all of it to matter.

Last edited:

Oublieux

Oct 27, 2017
Is there an optimal combination of flowers that I should be planting to get gifts/stat boosting items? I'm not quite sure what to use for cultivation either. Additionally, what the heck do I do with all the fish I catch?

Nov 3, 2017
Any opinions on Edelgard as a Dark Knight?

On one hand, it seems like the class best positioned to utilise her monstrous growths across the board, as well as her surprisingly good spell list. Also, El looks dope in the armor while riding a war horse

On the other hand, the class requirements are intensive, especially given that I'll want her to have skill levels in Axe and Authority as well. This issue is made worse given that CF is the shortest route in the game

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey

On one hand, it seems like the class best positioned to utilise her monstrous growths across the board, as well as her surprisingly good spell list. Also, El looks dope in the armor while riding a war horse

On the other hand, the class requirements are intensive, especially given that I'll want her to have skill levels in Axe and Authority as well. This issue is made worse given that CF is the shortest route in the game
It's not worth the investment, especially since Edelgard has no good magic classes to use prior to Dark Knight because of her weird spell list. She's better off staying in a physical oriented class than going the mage route. Give her a bolt axe if you want to use her mag. Hell, even training her in bows is easier to do despite the red arrows than raising riding, reason, and lances for dark knight.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

Seems like it'd be fun enough, but like you said - it's a lot of time spent in training neutral skills just so you can take advantage of her weirdly good MAG growth. You'd also want to take her through Mage... I dunno.

I just wish that she had access to a solid axe/magic/armor class later. Still wild that Emperor can't cast spells.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Dark Knight Edelgard seems like one of those things to do for the heck of it, you could make it work even though it's not optimal. But you probably need to commit from the start.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
Dark Knight Edelgard seems like one of those things to do for the heck of it, you could make it work even though it's not optimal. But you probably need to commit from the start.
I've done it. The real problem with it is that she doesn't have any good spell classes to use until master level. So yeah you eventually make her a poor man's Hubert, but she'll spend most of the game in classes that don't fit her dark magic/black magic blend of spells or in cavalry classes that just kill her speed.

Magnemania

Jan 25, 2018
I've done it. The real problem with it is that she doesn't have any good spell classes to use until master level. So yeah you eventually make her a poor man's Hubert, but she'll spend most of the game in classes that don't fit her dark magic/black magic blend of spells or in cavalry classes that just kill her speed.

How about going Pegasus Knight for 10-30 (only needs D in Flying)? It doesn't hurt her Mag growth like Wyvern Rider does and it's +10% spd.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
How about going Pegasus Knight for 10-30 (only needs D in Flying)? It doesn't hurt her Mag growth like Wyvern Rider does and it's +10% spd.
I'd probably do some combination of Mage, Brigand, and Peg Knight for their skills depending on how her stats were trending. All three would probably be possible with a little knowledge gem use.

NinjaHound

Nov 5, 2017
Just a few questions
  • Just had the dancing at the ball cutscene. How far into the game am I?
  • How do I recruit? I don't seem to have enough stats for anyone
  • How do adjutants work? I can't seem to pick who I want
Thanks!

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Just a few questions
  • Just had the dancing at the ball cutscene. How far into the game am I?
  • How do I recruit? I don't seem to have enough stats for anyone
  • How do adjutants work? I can't seem to pick who I want
Thanks!
Nearly halfway through the story.

Main thing with recruiting is building up supports. With each support level the requirements go down. Most characters require a skill rank of B by default, but it drops by one rank with each support level. This includes the intermediate support levels and skill ranks, so C support drops the requirements to C+, C+ support drops the requirement to C, and so on.

Some characters have the intermediate support levels (C+, B+) visible with the extra supports (the arrows above the support level), but for most characters you can only see them from the dining and choir character selection screens. Hitting X on a character will show their current support level.

B supports aren't too hard to get and generally drops skill requirements to D+ which is pretty manageable. At B support characters can also randomly ask to join your house throughout the week even if you don't meet their requirements, but it's a fairly low chance of happening.

With adjutants, the only restriction I'm aware of is that a character in a flying class can only have another flier as their adjutant. But a flier can be anyone's adjutant. So if Ingrid is a pegasus knight and your only flying character, she can't have an adjutant. But she could still be someone else's.

Last edited: