• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oof yeah personally I think everyone of your og students should be at at least D authority by then, even Caspar. Authority is important for everyone since battalions are such huge stat sticks.
Yeah I've been neglecting them. Gonna have to change that lol. On NG+ I had the comfort of waiting a bit before going heavy into that.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
for my money rally charm is the best early game rally especially on maddening where everyone but your lord and byleth will probably have really inaccurate gambits, but rally charm makes it so basically everyone has a good chance of landing a gambit

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
There's no scenario where making Byleth the new archbishop isn't a complete disaster, isn't there? They canonically know shit-all about the church when they first arrive at the monastery. And their personal experience with Sothis is going to make for some, uh, interesting sermons.

I can just imagine them telling a congregation about how the goddess is a haughty layabout who thinks we're all senseless children, lol

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
There's no scenario where making Byleth the new archbishop isn't a complete disaster, isn't there? They canonically know shit-all about the church when they first arrive at the monastery. And their personal experience with Sothis is going to make for some, uh, interesting sermons.

I can just imagine them telling a congregation about how the goddess is a haughty layabout who thinks we're all senseless children, lol
Honestly I feel like any ending where Byleth ends up as some type of leader of Fodlan is a disaster. Which is like 3/4 endings. Like what do they know about leading a country.

Terin

Oct 31, 2017
Honestly I feel like any ending where Byleth ends up as some type of leader of Fodlan is a disaster. Which is like 3/4 endings. Like what do they know about leading a country.
Another reason why Crimson Flower is the best

But yeah, I wasn't quite expecting Verdant Wind to end with Claude fucking off back to Almyra and going "Alright Byleth, you're the monarch of the UK of Fodlan, have fun!" I assume SS is also similar. At least with Azure Moon, you can kinda rely on Dimitri... who isn't a super stable support, but better than Claude being a continent away. God.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Another reason why Crimson Flower is the best

But yeah, I wasn't quite expecting Verdant Wind to end with Claude fucking off back to Almyra and going "Alright Byleth, you're the monarch of the UK of Fodlan, have fun!" I assume SS is also similar. At least with Azure Moon, you can kinda rely on Dimitri... who isn't a super stable support, but better than Claude being a continent away. God.
At least in SS it kinda makes sense.
You're basically the heir to Rhea, so while it's not necessarily a good idea, it kind of makes sense that you're taking her place.
But yeah in VW it kinda comes out of nowhere.
And in AM you can kinda sorta pretend there's Dimitri.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Finished my Golden Deer run (third playthrough) yesterday, just in time for Pokemon, my thoughts on it: (Black Eagles both routes spoilers too)

It was a bit disappointing to see a lot of the same maps as Silver Snow, but the ones that were switched out were really cool. The story beats were worth it too. I'm glad I actually got to face nemesis and learn more about Those who Slither in the dark. The last map's gimmick was neat an different from facing Rhea/Immaculate One. I always felt like the justification for fighting the Immaculate One in Silver Snow was weak. The Gronder Field battle was neat and the callback to the Battle of the Eagle and Lion I had hoped for. Also the music on that map and on final map...wew lad.

I still have Blue Lions left but I will get to it eventually.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
At least in SS it kinda makes sense.
You're basically the heir to Rhea, so while it's not necessarily a good idea, it kind of makes sense that you're taking her place.
But yeah in VW it kinda comes out of nowhere.
And in AM you can kinda sorta pretend there's Dimitri.
let's be honest though, Seteth is just going to end up being the one doing all the real work, lol

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
lol at Byleth and Jeritza's C support
let the man eat his ice cream damnit he'll kill you later

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a little sad I did CF before the most recent DLC wave released. I would have liked to have had that character and he probably would have been in my "A-team"

In my VW run, I needed a slot filler for some of the maps that let me have more people, so Anna ended up as part of my "A-team". I probably won't commit to Anna in my Azure Moon run, but I plan on trying to recruit the Lysithea because I have not heard of Annette is a particularly good offensive mage or not. Mercedes seems solid as a white mage.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
I'm a little sad I did CF before the most recent DLC wave released. I would have liked to have had that character and he probably would have been in my "A-team"

In my VW run, I needed a slot filler for some of the maps that let me have more people, so Anna ended up as part of my "A-team". I probably won't commit to Anna in my Azure Moon run, but I plan on trying to recruit the Lysithea because I have not heard of Annette is a particularly good offensive mage or not. Mercedes seems solid as a white mage.
Annette is good as a rallybot and bolt axe user, not as much as a regular spellcaster. She's better off as a wyvern. Mercedes is the best healer in the game. Blue Lions doesn't really have a good reason spellcaster.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
Completed my first run with the Black Iggles on hard and doing the Golden Deer route with the same difficulty and NG+ ; wish I selected Maddening difficulty considering how ridiculously easy this is

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Annette is good as a rallybot and bolt axe user, not as much as a regular spellcaster. She's better off as a wyvern. Mercedes is the best healer in the game. Blue Lions doesn't really have a good reason spellcaster.
Good to know, all the more reason to start gunning for Lysithea out the gate. Dorothea could be a viable option too as I used her as a Gremory in both of my black eagles runs

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I made Sylvain into a Dark Knight on my Blue Lions run, and he was better as a mage than Annette... She did OK, but I only used her against armored units and the like. I also didn't trust her anywhere near the frontlines, unlike Sylvain who could actually take a couple of hits.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I made Sylvain into a Dark Knight on my Blue Lions run, and he was better as a mage than Annette... She did OK, but I only used her against armored units and the like. I also didn't trust her anywhere near the frontlines, unlike Sylvain who could actually take a couple of hits.
I might try that with Sylvain. My first run was with female Byleth and I recruited him and ended up using his as my Fortress Knight tank because of losing certain people that I had in that role before (first run was Silver Snow)

Oct 25, 2017
Hi, I haven't read through this thread at all so I apologize if my questions are repeats.

I'm on chapter 11 with golden deer as my first time through the game. I will likely play a different route at some point, but I'm not sure if I have it in me to play 2-3 additional routes. If I was going to play one additional route, which should I prioritize?

Second question is related to free time. At this point I feel like I've recruited who I want and most of my bonds are waiting for after the time skip (I'm assuming) to progress. I plan on still doing some paralogue battles, but what is the best way to spend my free time at this point?

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Hi, I haven't read through this thread at all so I apologize if my questions are repeats.

I'm on chapter 11 with golden deer as my first time through the game. I will likely play a different route at some point, but I'm not sure if I have it in me to play 2-3 additional routes. If I was going to play one additional route, which should I prioritize?

Second question is related to free time. At this point I feel like I've recruited who I want and most of my bonds are waiting for after the time skip (I'm assuming) to progress. I plan on still doing some paralogue battles, but what is the best way to spend my free time at this point?
definitely not the church route as it's the most similar, I'd say you should choose based on whether you're more interested in Edelgard or Dimitri's story for your second

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
let's be honest though, Seteth is just going to end up being the one doing all the real work, lol
Well 💁🏼‍♀️

Edit: In my experience, Annette is a decent mage. She's probably on the lower tier, but she usually had decent speed in my runs, so she could double most defensive units, making her a decent can opener.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, Mages are so damn OP in this game I find it useless to even try to rank them when all of the black magic users are one-shotting everything anyway.

Of course, this is based on my Hard experience. I'm sure Maddening makes you think more about who's better at it.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, Mages are so damn OP in this game I find it useless to even try to rank them when all of the black magic users are one-shotting everything anyway.

Of course, this is based on my Hard experience. I'm sure Maddening makes you think more about who's better at it.
Maddening really forces the issue, and you'll notice when units aren't hitting as hard as others. Just went through Maddening on Blue Lions, and even with strong Battalions, Annette doesn't have a lot of firepower. Reason Magic users are great, so it's not like she's useless. But she won't hit as hard as the other ones.

EDIT: Another user pointed it out, but the speed issue is very real. Annette wasn't doubling anything besides armored units, which she one-shot anyways because duh.

Last edited:

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
So I have finally beat the game, Blue Lions route, after 100 hours of gametime and several months of playing. Unfortunately, game time is limited for me so a huge game like this can take some time to finish. Thoughts below.

I have to say, overall, it was a very affecting experience and really felt sorrowful after the end credits played. The final mission was by far the hardest in the game IMO, had to use Divine pulse like 8 times. Though, Edelgard-demon was surprisingly easy - Dimitiri with gradvius tore her apart. I really, REALLY liked that final cutscene. How it initially plays with Dimitri holding out his hand, Edelgard smiling (oh we are about to have a happy ending?), then The Dagger and the kill shot. All without barely a word spoken. Has to be the darkest ending I've seen in a Nintendo game. And regarding the end credits, I particularly loved the stories with Felix/Sylvain and Seteth/Flayn (knew they were saints from their A-support but cool to see that stuff confirmed). Do the pairing in the credits change based on supports? The only marriage I had was Ashe/Mercedes. I had Byleth marry Petra (artwork was kinda poor eh).

Final thoughts on the game though. I loved the more mature direction Nintendo took with the story and world building - but I think they could have really focused more on the nuance of the plot in the second half of the game. I know they created four different routes - but you could really feel the post time-skip stuff did not receive as much attention. The Blue Lions route second half had I think only two unique cutscenes (the final one aforementioned and the reunion at the beginning). Looking at the cutscene list in the game menu - looks like the development team was a little more generous for the other routes.

Regarding story stuff - there is a LOT unexplained, which is frustrating. Everything with "Those in the shadows" or whatever. No idea what the point of the opening cutscene was with Serios and Nemesis. Then Nemesis shows up once when Jeralt is killed and never see him again. And speaking of Jeralt - none of his mysterious backstory is ever explained. The plot of Byleth's birth and Rhea was never fully explained either. I get that most if not all of this is probably in other routes, but not sure if I am up for the multiple playthroughs. Anyway, don't spoil any of these questions for me, just intersting that they weren't explained in this route at all.

In the end though, great gaming experience. I loved all my blue lions characters - especially Dimitri, who is an incredible character. Which is part of the reason I don't know if I want to play another route. I think I would imagine it like fan-fiction and the first route I played the real story. Who knows, might get around to it eventually!

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
So I have finally beat the game, Blue Lions route, after 100 hours of gametime and several months of playing. Unfortunately, game time is limited for me so a huge game like this can take some time to finish. Thoughts below.

I have to say, overall, it was a very affecting experience and really felt sorrowful after the end credits played. The final mission was by far the hardest in the game IMO, had to use Divine pulse like 8 times. Though, Edelgard-demon was surprisingly easy - Dimitiri with gradvius tore her apart. I really, REALLY liked that final cutscene. How it initially plays with Dimitri holding out his hand, Edelgard smiling (oh we are about to have a happy ending?), then The Dagger and the kill shot. All without barely a word spoken. Has to be the darkest ending I've seen in a Nintendo game. And regarding the end credits, I particularly loved the stories with Felix/Sylvain and Seteth/Flayn (knew they were saints from their A-support but cool to see that stuff confirmed). Do the pairing in the credits change based on supports? The only marriage I had was Ashe/Mercedes. I had Byleth marry Petra (artwork was kinda poor eh).

Final thoughts on the game though. I loved the more mature direction Nintendo took with the story and world building - but I think they could have really focused more on the nuance of the plot in the second half of the game. I know they created four different routes - but you could really feel the post time-skip stuff did not receive as much attention. The Blue Lions route second half had I think only two unique cutscenes (the final one aforementioned and the reunion at the beginning). Looking at the cutscene list in the game menu - looks like the development team was a little more generous for the other routes.

Regarding story stuff - there is a LOT unexplained, which is frustrating. Everything with "Those in the shadows" or whatever. No idea what the point of the opening cutscene was with Serios and Nemesis. Then Nemesis shows up once when Jeralt is killed and never see him again. And speaking of Jeralt - none of his mysterious backstory is ever explained. The plot of Byleth's birth and Rhea was never fully explained either. I get that most if not all of this is probably in other routes, but not sure if I am up for the multiple playthroughs. Anyway, don't spoil any of these questions for me, just intersting that they weren't explained in this route at all.

In the end though, great gaming experience. I loved all my blue lions characters - especially Dimitri, who is an incredible character. Which is part of the reason I don't know if I want to play another route. I think I would imagine it like fan-fiction and the first route I played the real story. Who knows, might get around to it eventually!
blue lions has the least lore of any of the routes, if you're interested in the lore Golden Deer is the best house for that

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey

Maddening changes this a lot. Most mages will very rarely double and will die immediately if they end player phase near enemy units. There are no combat arts to help them like melee units. They're also stuck in 4 move classes most of the game. So you need mages with good spells lists and really high mag plus whatever range you can get. Which is like Lysithea, Hubert, and Dorothea if we're not talking about faith focused casters. Annette's main problem is that her spell list sucks and she's better off using the mobility of a flying class to use her rallies and bolt axe with canto.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Well, I tried the sauna and ... lol?

That seems to be one waste of an activity point 🤷‍♀️

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I tried the sauna and ... lol?

That seems to be one waste of an activity point 🤷‍♀️

Not really - IIRC the tutoring bonus lasts the whole month, so it can be a pretty significant bump in lesson EXP for a student in the early game or in advanced drills for Byleth later in the game where you have more activity points than things to do.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Not really - IIRC the tutoring bonus lasts the whole month, so it can be a pretty significant bump in lesson EXP for a student in the early game or in advanced drills for Byleth later in the game where you have more activity points than things to do.
Also its pretty damn useful if you want to train a student in one of their weaknesses

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Are certification pass percentages "set" right as of a specific day, and not actually when you activate a unit's certification exam? Cause I've been soft-reseting my game repeatedly trying to get Dimitri to promote (first time I'm doing something like this, normally I just take the fail but I really want to get him promoted already). But I keep failing every single time despite having a 43% pass chance. I know it's not high, but I also really don't think I should have failed as many times as I did with that percentage. I'm reminded of in Awakening and Fates where you would always get killed by a 1% enemy critical no matter how many times you reset the turn.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Are certification pass percentages "set" right as of a specific day, and not actually when you activate a unit's certification exam? Cause I've been soft-reseting my game repeatedly trying to get Dimitri to promote (first time I'm doing something like this, normally I just take the fail but I really want to get him promoted already). But I keep failing every single time despite having a 43% pass chance. I know it's not high, but I also really don't think I should have failed as many times as I did with that percentage. I'm reminded of in Awakening and Fates where you would always get killed by a 1% enemy critical no matter how many times you reset the turn.
I think the RNG number is rolled at the start of each week for each character, so soft-reseting won't help. Advance a week and you'll get another chance.

theprodigy

Oct 25, 2017
I think the RNG number is rolled at the start of each week for each character, so soft-reseting won't help. Advance a week and you'll get another chance.
It's not even just by character, the same character seems to have different RNs for different classes (I tried a 48% for wyvern lord on Ingrid, failed, reset, passed a 48% for falcon knight).

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any reasonable way to speed past school stuff in replays? Just finished the game for the first time (Claude's route) after just under 34 hours of play, and much as I had some definite issues (really disliked the removal of the weapon triangle as it made units feel a lot more samey to me, and personally the class system really wasn't ever feeling quite right for my tastes, for example), I'm kind of interested in doing the other routes down the line.

But I mean, even by the end of this playthrough it felt like the novelty of the school stuff had really worn off and I was just going through the motions just to get to the next actual chapters, speeding along and feeling like I was taking care of routine chores. So I'm reeeeally not looking forward to having to do all that upon replays.

Also, how much is actually unique between routes, anyway?

(And sorry, not trying to come in and crap all over the game. I get that a lot of people really enjoy the systems on display here, they just weren't personally my cup of tea.)

Claris

Oct 29, 2017
Is there any reasonable way to speed past school stuff in replays? Just finished the game for the first time (Claude's route) after just under 34 hours of play, and much as I had some definite issues (really disliked the removal of the weapon triangle as it made units feel a lot more samey to me, and personally the class system really wasn't ever feeling quite right for my tastes, for example), I'm kind of interested in doing the other routes down the line.

But I mean, even by the end of this playthrough it felt like the novelty of the school stuff had really worn off and I was just going through the motions just to get to the next actual chapters, speeding along and feeling like I was taking care of routine chores. So I'm reeeeally not looking forward to having to do all that upon replays.

Also, how much is actually unique between routes, anyway?

(And sorry, not trying to come in and crap all over the game. I get that a lot of people really enjoy the systems on display here, they just weren't personally my cup of tea.)
There's an option to skip to future days on the calendar, so you can skip straight to the mission every month if you want (aside from the first couple that require you to explore).

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
There's an option to skip to future days on the calendar, so you can skip straight to the mission every month if you want (aside from the first couple that require you to explore).
Thanks. Sounds like I should be able to manage a less intensive/more streamlined second (potentially plus) playthrough, then!

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I dunno I checked and the bonuses seemed pretty meager. But maybe I missed something.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno I checked and the bonuses seemed pretty meager. But maybe I missed something.
i mean think about it like this, say you've got someone with an authority weakness like Caspar or Hilda, normally they'd get about 2 points per teaching with no statue or byleth expertise, but if you were to get them fully refreshed in the sauna suddenly they get a bonus 4 more per teaching which comes out to 6 each, and with the statue bonus they'll get 8 per lesson, it's really useful in that respect

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
i mean think about it like this, say you've got someone with an authority weakness like Caspar or Hilda, normally they'd get about 2 points per teaching with no statue or byleth expertise, but if you were to get them fully refreshed in the sauna suddenly they get a bonus 4 more per teaching which comes out to 6 each, and with the statue bonus they'll get 8 per lesson, it's really useful in that respect
Yeah ok, when you put it that way, that makes sense.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm playing the Edelgard route and something is annoying me...

I don't think Byleth has ANY reason to follow her. As far as he/she knows Edelgard betrayed them and went behind their backs. She gives zero explanation for this the moment you have to choose. I find this to be jarring.

Just like that Marianne (I recruited her) just follows you to fight the church while she is a devout follower. Even the teachers don't say anything and just go along with it (if you recruit them) Maybe this is all adressed later but it's really wierd.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

I don't think Byleth has ANY reason to follow her. As far as he/she knows Edelgard betrayed them and went behind their backs. She gives zero explanation for this the moment you have to choose. I find this to be jarring.

Just like that Marianne (I recruited her) just follows you to fight the church while she is a devout follower. Even the teachers don't say anything and just go along with it (if you recruit them) Maybe this is all adressed later but it's really wierd.
Essentially, you either get behind Edlegard as a character before that (her motives, her goals, all the stuff that comes out in her supports) or you don't and you take the betrayal as a personal thing. From Edelgard's perspective, she's just doing exactly what she said she'd do. Even offered you the opportunity to stand aside. Then you fight 'cause they decided to put the decision at the end of the mission instead of the beginning. YMMV, but I didn't have any trouble choosing her side.

Also, re: Marianne, she despises the Crests, her crest in particular, and gets super on board with Edelgard, both philosophically and personally. She's probably one of the best-justified CF recruits, honestly.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Byleth agrees with her logic and about the choice, she's her/his student, didn't want to kill her and figured something was up? Easy for me to see why Byleth followed them and it's not like the game didn't give you a chance to back out if you wanted to.

Not sure about Manuela or Alois, but Shamir made sense, she's not particularly devoted to anyone. And iirc Hanneman likes Crests but has issues with the system as well.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
Essentially, you either get behind Edlegard as a character before that (her motives, her goals, all the stuff that comes out in her supports) or you don't and you take the betrayal as a personal thing. From Edelgard's perspective, she's just doing exactly what she said she'd do. Even offered you the opportunity to stand aside. Then you fight 'cause they decided to put the decision at the end of the mission instead of the beginning. YMMV, but I didn't have any trouble choosing her side.

Also, re: Marianne, she despises the Crests, her crest in particular, and gets super on board with Edelgard, both philosophically and personally. She's probably one of the best-justified CF recruits, honestly.
Byleth agrees with her logic and about the choice, she's her/his student, didn't want to kill her and figured something was up? Easy for me to see why Byleth followed them and it's not like the game didn't give you a chance to back out if you wanted to.

Not sure about Manuela or Alois, but Shamir made sense, she's not particularly devoted to anyone. And iirc Hanneman likes Crests but has issues with the system as well.

These are good points. I never thought about the whole crests angle for Marianne and yeah that makes sense.

But what about that girl that kills Jeralt? She works for Edelgard (I assume, I'm about to hit the timeskip)

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
These are good points. I never thought about the whole crests angle for Marianne and yeah that makes sense.

But what about that girl that kills Jeralt? She works for Edelgard (I assume, I'm about to hit the timeskip)
Did you get the combat dialogue for Edelgard with Cronya and Solon? "Works for" is not how I would describe the relationship.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
No I did not.. What did I miss?
if you choose Edelgard you'll find out more, but basically Edelgard has a lot less power than you might think before she takes the throne and declares war on the church, if you pay attention to what the flame emperor says to both them and byleth you can tell that she does not enjoy working with these people at all, but sees it as a necessary evil to achieve her goal

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the last fight before the timeskip
Right, so, you know that she's the Flame Emperor. Remember that conversation she had with Thales, where he basically said "ah, you're our greatest creation, fulfilling your purpose" and she said something to the effect of "When this is all over you're all gonna die"? It's like that. The Slithers are the ones who performed the experiments on her that created her second crest, and they view themselves as in control of her. She has a hostile relationship with them, and regards them as a tool for her to use until she no longer needs them. When you run her into Cronya, the lady who killed Jeralt, Cronya doesn't take it well. And if you have her fight Solon, he basically gives her a "you have outlived your usefulness" speech.

Edelgard and the Slithers seem to both think that they're using the other side, but the Slithers seem pretty thoroughly deluded about how ready Edelgard is to turn on them.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
Right, so, you know that she's the Flame Emperor. Remember that conversation she had with Thales, where he basically said "ah, you're our greatest creation, fulfilling your purpose" and she said something to the effect of "When this is all over you're all gonna die"? It's like that. The Slithers are the ones who performed the experiments on her that created her second crest, and they view themselves as in control of her. She has a hostile relationship with them, and regards them as a tool for her to use until she no longer needs them. When you run her into Cronya, the lady who killed Jeralt, Cronya doesn't take it well. And if you have her fight Solon, he basically gives her a "you have outlived your usefulness" speech.

Edelgard and the Slithers seem to both think that they're using the other side, but the Slithers seem pretty thoroughly deluded about how ready Edelgard is to turn on them.

Aaaah I see. I kinda knew all of this but couldn't fit the pieces together. That little banter is pretty important and easy to miss...

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017

I believe it's very much by design that siding with Edelgard is meant to be a leap of faith in the moment. There's little solid evidence of what's really going on at the moment, and little is apparent is (purposefully) stacked in an incriminating way against her by association. The moment is more of a question of how much Byleth trusts / wants to protect their student, rather than following what little facts and evidence is at hand

Aaaah I see. I kinda knew all of this but couldn't fit the pieces together. That little banter is pretty important and easy to miss...

There are other hints as well, such as...
After Remire village the Flame Emperor appears to straight up tell you they had nothing to do with that shit and in fact why not team up to oppose them. Byleth doesn't believe the Flame Emperor in the moment, but afterwards there is a conversation with Edelgard where she hints that maybe one day the Flame Emperor will appear without their mask and reveal their true intentions. This conversation ends when Monica "accidentally" interrupts the conversation. Which then leads to Monica killing Jeralt with the intent of ruining any chance of Byleth siding with Edelgard when she's revealed as the Flame Emperor.