• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How will FE:TH do on MC?

• 100-95

• 94-90

• 89-85

• 84-80

• 75-79

• Bomba

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CSX

Oct 27, 2017
https://twitter.com/CSX142857
If anyone was curious what animations look like turned off:

El_BREATH_OF_THE_WILD_de_FIRE_EMBLEM_La_ENORME_EVOLUCION_en_FIRE_EMBLEM__THREE_HOUSES__Opinion.gif
nice

It will be even better if we can just jam on the start button to skip all animations and enemy turns like with the 3DS games :)

Lusankya

Oct 27, 2017

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
With Claude having both riding and flying skills, I'm starting to lean toward golden deer which I never thought I would. But I love Marianne and Lythsea. The only one I cannot stand is bowl-cut dude - seriously WTF

I think you are mistaken, that was for the Japanese eShop.

Game is still the top game at Amazon. I believe it's going to do pretty well

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
For some reason the Black Eagles have the least strong skills (23) and the most weak skills (19). I wonder if they have bette growth rates to offset this difference.

Blue Lions have 24 and 14
and Golden Deers a whooping 27 and 14
Stat growths are class dependent now - and getting better classes is contingent on skill growths.

Maybe they're expecting it to be evened out some other way, like personal abilities?

They also have the fewest crests.

Crests I would put money on being changeable somehow later on.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Stat growths are class dependent now - and getting better classes is contingent on skill growths.

Maybe they're expecting it to be evened out some other way, like personal abilities?

Crests I would put money on being changeable somehow later on.

Units will likely have personal growths in addition to class growths, like usual.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason the Black Eagles have the least strong skills (23) and the most weak skills (19). I wonder if they have bette growth rates to offset this difference.

Blue Lions have 24 and 14
and Golden Deers a whooping 27 and 14

We still don't know the numerical values associated with Strength and Weaknesses though. Are all characters weaknesses and strengths equals for instance?

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
Actually, I'm just going with my first instinct, and am going Blue Lions. I will recruit two of Lysithea/Marianne/Dorothea for additional support. However, I'm going to play all of the story lines eventually.

I'm locked in and planning support now. Too many cool knight types in the BL to pass up, and Dimitri definitely has the best supporting group. Not one of them irritates me

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
I'm going to leave my first choice to the dice. 1-3 is BL 4-6 is GD. I'll leave BE for a second playthrough.

I don't need any more convincing Nintendo, I have the game preloaded and my "amiibos" ready.

Just 11ish more days...

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
We still don't know the numerical values associated with Strength and Weaknesses though. Are all characters weaknesses and strengths equals for instance?

Units with a weakness in something get less skill points, while units with a strength get more. This seems to apply to all gains — actions in battle, instruction, group tasks, and weekday lessons — and is the same for all characters. There's also hidden talents, which aren't just limited to the default visible ones, but seem to be able to be discovered at further ranks as well — so most will be unknown at this point. If a unit unlocks their hidden talent in something, that skill becomes a strength, and they gain a new combat art/ability.

Here's a helpful page on it: https://serenesforest.net/three-houses/pre-release/skill-levels/

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Edelgard is the strongest student and Claude is the weakest of the lords(still the third strongest student tho) stat wise so I think BE power will be more concentrated on her while GD will be more distributed

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
i still dont know if i want to play my favourite house first or last
but whichever it is, its gonna be blue lions with whoever i can grab from Hilda, Ferdinand, Leonie, Lysithea, and Caspar.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to put my favorites off a bit, I think. Most likely going Golden Deer for my first run, since I'm less attached to them, so when I undoubtedly screw things up it'll be k.
Units with a weakness in something get less skill points, while units with a strength get more. This seems to apply to all gains — actions in battle, instruction, group tasks, and weekday lessons — and is the same for all characters. There's also hidden talents, which aren't just limited to the default visible ones, but seem to be able to be discovered at further ranks as well — so most will be unknown at this point. If a unit unlocks their hidden talent in something, that skill becomes a strength, and they gain a new combat art/ability.

Here's a helpful page on it: https://serenesforest.net/three-houses/pre-release/skill-levels/
Do we have confirmation that there's extra Hidden Talents to find?

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to put my favorites off a bit, I think. Most likely going Golden Deer for my first run, since I'm less attached to them, so when I undoubtedly screw things up it'll be k.

Do we have confirmation that there's extra Hidden Talents to find?

No text/reviewer confirmation, but we've seen screenshots of some at further skill levels IIRC, so presumably.

It wouldn't make much sense to have a mechanic/UI element that half of the cast can't interact with, despite all having weaknesses, and that stops being relevant after E ranks, IMO.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
No text/reviewer confirmation, but we've seen screenshots of some at further skill levels IIRC, so presumably.

It wouldn't make much sense to have a mechanic/UI element that half of the cast can't interact with, despite all having weaknesses, and that stops being relevant after E ranks, IMO.
Well, that'd certainly be nice. I hadn't noticed that it was different in any of the screens.

Oooh, it'd be cool for NG+ if it randomized that stuff, or had an option to randomize, at any rate.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
What do we expect NG+ to do, anyway? Keep Renown and Professor level, maybe?
No clue. Only one of the previews even got far enough to start a second run, and all they said was that it's a thing.

What I really want is something akin to the XCOM Second Wave options, where you have a bunch of choices in how things change. Keep your levels, randomize everything, extra enemies, less gold, whatever.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
No clue. Only one of the previews even got far enough to start a second run, and all they said was that it's a thing.

What I really want is something akin to the XCOM Second Wave options, where you have a bunch of choices in how things change. Keep your levels, randomize everything, extra enemies, less gold, whatever.
Second Wave was a great idea. So much granularity in how the next game would play, even if several of the option quite clearly were prototypes that never made it into the normal game, but were interesting enough to offer as an option for a replay.

I'm also remembering Tales of Symphonia has a Grade Shop at the end. You can buy ways to make the game easier and harder for another playthrough from there.

And Fire Emblem Awakening let you keep your Renown after you beat it, which accumulated if you beat the game again.

From that last one, I'd heavily expect Renown to be system wide for that Switch profile, at least.

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Regarding difficulty:

Nothing very specific about Hard Mode. They said that, no matter your difficulty preferences, the game has you covered. That the options are there, and so don't worry about that. You want the game to be a stroll in the park in order to focus on the story? You got that. Are you a veteran looking for a challenge? You get that as well.

The other stuff:

-One of the longest (if not the longest) FE games
-20hrs in, and loving it A LOT
-The setting reminds them of Harry Potter (one of them tried to name teacher "McGonagall" but there wasn't enough room, so he named her McDonalds instead)
-One of the deepest, most complex, and "adult" FE stories yet
-[General story discussion, nothing new we haven't heard before]
-Everyone picked a different house in order to compare stories, and you start noticing the differences as early as 10 hours in
-[General discussion of the "school" features i.e. classes, calendar, activities]
-The reason they call it "The Breath of the Wild of Fire Emblems" is because of the exploration aspect, which they found immersive (and they sometimes felt overwhelmed by it)
-However, some of the school missions (go fish this, go plant that, etc.) can get repetitive
-Mission (as in battle missions) structure feels very open ended and gives you a lot more freedom than ever before
-This game has *A LOT* of dialog
-[General battle discussion]
-The story can get very complex and take a lot of twists and turns, so you'd better pay attention or risk getting lost

Edit: added and fixed some stuff
Ow my hype hurts

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
One of the previews showed a glimpse of Sylvain's brother:

image0.jpg

That's a hero relic, all right. According to one of the previews, his name is Miklan.

Last edited:

Mattersnotnow

Jan 15, 2018
Man... I really wanted to buy the physical edition, which will only be possible around October (live in a country with no official distribution)... But this is making me want to buy digital

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah think I'm going to let the limited edition version go. The more I look at this the more I believe I'm going to want to get the season pass for the extra content and that seems more worthwhile price wise then the art book and steel case.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
Edelgard is the strongest student and Claude is the weakest of the lords(still the third strongest student tho) stat wise so I think BE power will be more concentrated on her while GD will be more distributed

Am I wrong for thinking this also mirrors the concentration of political power among their houses?

Pangorogoro

Oct 31, 2017
I have my LE at amazon right now, I'm just conflicted because I can pick up the base game at best buy for $48~ish and then grab the season pass, or do the digital vouchers and get another game for the price of the LE and get an ex

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Bought a pair of vouchers for this and Astral Chain; it's all pre-loaded and taunting me.

0jjh2.jpg

Pledging Blue Lions for my first run. I don't want to pay for the Season Pass just yet, but those Officer Academy outfits for Byleth are so damn good. They knew exactly what they were doing.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I have my LE at amazon right now, I'm just conflicted because I can pick up the base game at best buy for $48~ish and then grab the season pass, or do the digital vouchers and get another game for the price of the LE and get an ex
Personally, the art in this one doesn't do enough for me so losing the art book doesn't feel as bad. Sampler CDs are always meh and the calendar is a perishable. All in all, I don't feel bad skipping this one in favor of another game.

Pangorogoro

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah... I think I'm going to do the vouchers and get Dragon Quest Builders 2 or XI. The only thing I really like about the LE is the steel case at this point and that's even not a biggie.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
did you get the LE via bestbuy or somewhere else?
It was at Amazon. I originally jumped on it when it first went up and originally had the standard version ordered since before Amazon stopped their 20% off pre-orders. I do want the limited edition content but that extra money really does seem better spent on the season pass.

It really was do this or the vouchers but I think I'm going to use the vouchers on something else in the future. Not sure what though beside Animal Crossing.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I'm so sad I can't play I dusted off my 3DS and was gonna buy Fire Emblem Fates.

Only to discover that, of course, it's still 40 dollars. I hate Nintendo sometimes.

DiceyRobot

Oct 26, 2017
So I'm so sad I can't play I dusted off my 3DS and was gonna buy Fire Emblem Fates.

Only to discover that, of course, it's still 40 dollars. I hate Nintendo sometimes.
Check your local library. I was able to borrow a copy from mine. Fates is the only US-released FE title I haven't played yet, so I wanted to give it a go before Three Houses. I chose Conquest since that seemed the most "traditional" of the bunch.

I'm up to Ch.19 now, and while it's probably one of my lesser liked FE games, it's still worth playing. The writing and characters are trashy to be honest, but the maps are some of the best in the series (there are some super awful maps thrown in there too). Not a bad way to scratch that SRPG itch until July 26.

Jul 3, 2019
Conquest's gameplay is fantastic but it and the soundtrack are generally the only redeeming features of Fates. Birthright is thoroughly mediocre and I wouldn't wish Revelation's gameplay on anyone.

Birthright is worth it for the track "Alight", that song is amazing and fits so well in the final handful of chapters. Especially with Ryoma just Crit-ing everything in sight.

neilyadig

Nov 13, 2017
With Claude having both riding and flying skills, I'm starting to lean toward golden deer which I never thought I would. But I love Marianne and Lythsea. The only one I cannot stand is bowl-cut dude - seriously WTF

Game is still the top game at Amazon. I believe it's going to do pretty well
Agree, that bowl cut dude alone is making me not want to choose Golden Deer...

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Conquest's gameplay is fantastic but it and the soundtrack are generally the only redeeming features of Fates. Birthright is thoroughly mediocre and I wouldn't wish Revelation's gameplay on anyone.
Gameplay and music is enough really. Tho I disagree it's the only good things it has going. Story is terrible tho

Fire Emblem really isn't that good with being a great SRPG(western release wise). Most games are too easy and don't require much thinking. Conquest, Hard mode in 7 and Radiant Dawn are probably the most fun to play through.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Out of pure hype I'm replaying Fates. I've already beaten Awakening twice and gave up midway thru Fates when it first came out. It really is hard to enjoy this game. The pace and writing are just awful. Both the plot and dialogue are bad and many of the battle maps are not so good either. Still, I have no other FE games to play!

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Out of pure hype I'm replaying Fates. I've already beaten Awakening twice and gave up midway thru Fates when it first came out. It really is hard to enjoy this game. The pace and writing are just awful. Both the plot and dialogue are bad and many of the battle maps are not so good either. Still, I have no other FE games to play!
Which verison are you playing?

Status
Not open for further replies.