• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fire Emblem Three Houses is probably going to be the best selling game Koei Tecmo has ever developed.

I really enjoy Nintendo's and KT's collabs as of late. With MUA3 being another recent one, I sure hope they continue their strong relationship. And maybe, just maybe, KT's teams can still learn a few technical things from Nintendo devs, which in turn would help them polish those titles.

Koei Tecmo's secret is that they know what constitutes good enough and it allows them to create content on a scale that is the envy of other developers.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I guess Pushmo is getting the BotW treatment

You see that block? You can push it

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't they say in one interview that the design was all IS while KT did the grunt work? 17 people is enough for that.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
They maybe should have put some more IS devs on it since some parts feel cheap/janky, but I can't complain too much as it's a good game so far. Hopefully they're working on a new (and good) Paper Mario.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Didn't they say in one interview that the design was all IS while KT did the grunt work? 17 people is enough for that.

There is a "lead game designer" credit for Koei's staff. Also, the writers were from Koei too. That early interview likely had misleading wording or translation. Out of those 17 IS people, 8 positions are just for the character designers, illustrations and music.

Koei's staff definitely weren't just programmers unlike what that early interview made it sound like.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe that's a reason why they messed up the font & text size?!
No
Exactly. Don't get why people are talking like Koei did the entire writing, music or the entire game concept. They did the grunt work(programming, asset creation, etc) and helped with those aspects. Of course Koei workers did leave theirs inputs from others SRPG experiences, but top planning comes from IS.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan

Bass2448

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Koei Tecmo did a wonderful job with the game. I'm halfway through and its on pace to be my favorite FE by far and objectively speaking perhaps the best entry in the series. I think Nintendo might be able to trust them with future entries.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
There is a "lead game designer" credited for Koei's staff. Also, the writers were from Koei too. That early interview likely had misleading wording or translation. Out of those 17 IS people, 8 positions are just for the character designers, illustrations and music.

Koei's staff definitely weren't just programmers unlike what that early interview made it sound like.

No wonder the story starts off kind of bad (it starts off too fast paced), you are literally thrown into the school almost immediately, you were better off immediately starting by walking into it.

R.D.

Oct 30, 2017
Well this sure explains why the game is running so terribly and the background assets are this bad. I think I can actually enjoy this game much more now.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
If Ryu Hayabusa ever gets added to Smash people are going to say it's because of KT making Three Houses, lol.
See, if that kind of thing were how characters were picked then we would have gotten Heihachi/The Prince/Chosen Undead/Goku/Haruka Amami/SOMEONE for a second Bamco rep instead of being limited to just Pac-Man while Konami, Capcom, and Sega are on their third character.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm impressed they could make something this good again, the last few ROTK games have been terrible.

Oct 25, 2017
Koei Tecmo did a wonderful job with the game. I'm halfway through and its on pace to be my favorite FE by far and objectively speaking perhaps the best entry in the series. I think Nintendo might be able to trust them with future entries.
Someone correct if i'm wrong but FE is a Intelligent Systems IP and Nintendo co-owns the IP name. So Nintendo isn't choosing who develop the series, it's developed by IS and they can get external help like this time. But even if Nintendo wanted to give the series to Koei, they would need IS to also be onboard with this.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Edit : Thanks my phone for posting random italic letter ?
Did i get the 3 Houses wrong font virus ?

Bass2448

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Someone correct if i'm wrong but FE is a Intelligent Systems IP and Nintendo co-owns the IP name. So Nintendo isn't choosing who develop the series, it's developed by IS and they can get external help like this time. But even if Nintendo wanted to give the series to Koei, they would need IS to also be onboard with this.

Interesting. Wasn't aware this could be a similar situation like Pokemon. I know Nintendo owns majority stake in I.S similar to the pokemon company.

Edit: After some research, Nintendo owns 100% of IS rather than "just a majority" like Pokemon Company. So I'd imagine Nintendo has full control over the IP.

Oct 25, 2017
Weird that they started full development after the reveal. Guess that explains why it was delayed.

Koei Tecmo made two first party games released in July which is interesting. They're kind of janky developers but they're efficient.
Hopefully these projects help them learn how to optimize for Switch better.

IS hardly putting staff on the projects is also interesting, not sure if it's due to not having HD development experience or if they're working on something else.
Paper Mario game should be due next year or so

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. Wasn't aware this could be a similar situation like Pokemon. I know Nintendo owns majority stake in I.S similar to the pokemon company.

Edit: After some research, Nintendo owns 100% of IS rather than "just a majority" like Pokemon Company. So I'd imagine Nintendo has full control over the IP.
Where are you seeing 100% ownership because that's not reflected in any of Nintendo's financials

Doogdogg

Oct 27, 2017

FE is own by Nintendo. They gave IS their last chance at the series with Awakening. It sold well and save the brand.

Oct 25, 2017
Weird that they started full development after the reveal. Guess that explains why it was delayed.

Koei Tecmo made two first party games released in July which is interesting. They're kind of janky developers but they're efficient.
Hopefully these projects help them learn how to optimize for Switch better.

IS hardly putting staff on the projects is also interesting, not sure if it's due to not having HD development experience or if they're working on something else.
Paper Mario game should be due next year or so
I find hard to believe they started full development after the FE direct reveal. I mean, they have been working on this since 2015. They went 1,5 years just on concept stage?

Oct 25, 2017
FE is own by Nintendo. They gave IS their last chance at the series with Awakening. It sold well and save the brand.
Are you sure is full owned by Nintendo? Also, they gave FE their last chance with Awakening, not IS. IS would continue to help assisting Nintendo on consoles devkits and all while FE would be dead if not by Awakening.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Intelligent Systems isn't owned by Nintendo, but Nintendo built them a building recently. They're about as close to a first party developer you can get without being first party.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Well this sure explains why the game is running so terribly and the background assets are this bad. I think I can actually enjoy this game much more now.

I was wondering what was up with the awful framerate and textures (those clouds, lol)

Too early to comment on my feelings of the actual game, though. I've only played a couple hours.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017

Nintendo and IS work far more closely than that. The main bulk of IS staff upon creation were nintendo employees Nintendo gave to the founder to work on a project. They have almost always worked within the Nintendo's offices. It's really nothing like a pokemon, IS is closer to a contractor with ownership stake than something completely separate to nintendo that nintendo works with. As such nintendo has a great deal of influence within them.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

IS is completely independent from Nintendo, at least legally. It was founded by former Nintendo staff and they co-developed some of their games from the start for years before making an original game, so they have a very close relationship, but there's no actual direct ownership. The Japanese wikipedia page outright states it.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
This sounds to me like they entrusted the lack of expertise of HD development onto koei tecmo while having a say/directing it all. I hope int syst comes through and catches up soon

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Hm, I wonder what this means for potential sequels? Cross-developed titles like this can be tricky to follow up on from a business/legal perspective. I do hope this isn't our only outing in Fodlan.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
There is a "lead game designer" credit for Koei's staff. Also, the writers were from Koei too. That early interview likely had misleading wording or translation. Out of those 17 IS people, 8 positions are just for the character designers, illustrations and music.

Yup. Also, the lead character artist work was outsourced too to Chinatsu Kurahana (similar to the 3DS Fire Emblem games, which had Awakening and Fates by one character artist external to IS, same for Echoes).

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Is that why the graphical assets are sub-par at best? Fire Emblem Warriors wasn't a looker, and everything here from the ground textures to geometry are amateur-hour levels of embarassing. (Great at the support convos are, I wince every time I'm forced to behold the static backgrounds or randomly-depressed floors)

I normally don't care about this kind of thing, but great as the game itself is, the incongruity in production values is a big turn-off -- I'm stunned any of this was signed-off.