ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why they didn't just start with a family plan and see if people naturally switched to that with some extra benefits? Seems easier and less likely to piss people off like this policy is.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I think you are greatly, greatly exaggerating how many people (even young people) are going to "drop" Netflix over this. Its hard to express how badly a lot of this thread is blowing this way out of proportion with regard to how general consumers will feel about it. A majority probably won't even realize anythings changed.

Maybe, but Netflix's greatest strength is its status as the streamer that basically everyone can access, and it's no longer inconceivable they could fall into the "take it or leave it" category for many folks. Content is king, and I've preferred the content on Hulu, HBO Max, and Paramount+ (with Disney+ for Star Wars and Simpsons) over what Netflix has released of late. I think Big Mouth and The Crown were my main draws in the last six months, and I don't know if I'd subscribe for either of them.

Netflix still dominates in international access and foreign content, and perhaps that will continue to define their success. But they can't be an "everything for everyone" service if they tighten the leash.

MarcelloF

"This guy are sick"
Dec 9, 2020
Man, fuck off, Netflix. You're already the most expensive streaming service and still have an extra tier for 4K. I was hoping for that paying a few bucks extra for other family members thing they were testing at worst.

I hope this backfires and they lose a decent amount of subscribers. Though, even if that did happen, I guess they wouldn't go back on this, but it'd be nice to see...

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why they didn't just start with a family plan and see if people naturally switched to that with some extra benefits? Seems easier and less likely to piss people off like this policy is.

I don't understand this either. Like drop the SD tier and upcharge tier for more "streams" + 4k. Then just have the ad tier, regular tier now gets 4k, and then do a family plan tier.

This ain't rocket science?

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really see a source in the article for the 31 day and 7 day figures. Netflix's own FAQ doesn't mention any specific number either, just a vague "from time to time we check your shit." They send a verification code to your email to verify a device. Doesn't say anything specific about a time limit for the verification.

In any case this seems very easy to subvert. Like very minimal effort. My family logs on, needs a verification code. They just text me and say, "yo, what's the code in the email?" This is what this feels like
it's not a big hassle for legit users but it's probably enough of a pain in the ass for a lot of people to give up. imagine if you're sharing with not just your parents or w/e, but like, old roommates, ex partners, your aunts and uncles who you don't really talk to outside of the holidays... do you really want to spend time authorizing their devices every week so they can save a couple of bucks? lol

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
See you in spring when they revert back because they lost 40% of their subscribers.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if a home VPN would work where just route all your traffic through there. This won't affect me, but if it ever does I'll probably do that. I guess you'd actually just need to do that every 30 days too, so it'd be pretty painless.

divination

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like I will be losing access then. Not too worried about it as there's only about 5 or so Netflix exclusives a year I'm ever interested in. In those cases I'll just head over to a house that has access lol.

Mar 11, 2020
Wow i rather pay the $3 extra for my friend who shares their hulu and disney plus, fuck this. Guess im dropping netflix and will have to find Netflix's content elsewhere and we will split hbo with them.

Paid for 4 screens for years fuck you netfucks

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
"Great news Mom, you can downgrade to the cheaper tier because I can't access it and you don't care if you're watching The Blacklist in 4K."

Last edited:

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Netflix hasn't exactly made it easy with how they tried a bunch of different things in test markets before rolling it out in the States. I honestly expected a small fee to add a household and struggled to understand the plan with that assumption stuck in my head.

For what it's worth, all the Netflix defenders are gross. Netflix encouraged and promoted password sharing for years. We're just in the final stages of the enshitification of the service.
I'm talking more the posts acting like their devices that (likely) never leave their home network (game consoles, streaming boxes, etc) will be blocked if they don't log in every month. The OP clearly says that if you log in on your home network you're fine.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
What decides the home network? The first device you signed up with? The geo-tag on your account matching billing? Do you manually set it?

Oct 27, 2017
My family shares an account (using different profiles) and we all live in different countries. Guess that's not gonna fly anymore. What bullshit.

Mr Paptimus

Oct 26, 2017
You update your profile and log into the device once a month....this isn't difficult at all holy shit.

Its a pain in the ass to do iwith multiple devices I rarely ever use Netflix on, and if i forget i and log on when I'm at families on my phone or ipad then I have to call them. it's just not worth the bother?

Well given that its literally in the OP on how to do this, i'd say you are fine, but lets be honest, this isn't the real reason you are complaining.

And the real reason is? If your insinuating that I'm borrowing my netflix, I'm actually the one in the family who has the account people mooch from.

And I didn't see anything in the op or the articlNetflix, on how to change my home ip. That's something they decide.

You use multiple devices for Netflix, so you're mad that you'll have to log into those multiple devices to use them?

logging ins not the problem, its just a hassle to have to log in in things i do t nor.ally watch from. Like i said in my post i normally watch shit on my ps4. But im not going to take that with me if im going to bring that, and why would I normally log in on my phone or ipad when I can watch it on my TV?

And it sounds like if it's blocked it's blocked even if you try and sign in on your home system, so if I just flip on Netflix on my phone while killing time before Thanksgiving dinner, I've blocked my phone everywhere until I call them.

All these extra steps just kill the convenience of.mobile apps. They're not deal breakers by themselves but there's no reason why I shouldn't consider them in comparison to other streaming services.

And whose cereal did I piss in to get ganged up on like this.

May 7, 2020
There's always that one person in these threads aggressively shilling for the over-the-hill tech service making extremely unpopular (and impractical) moves.

Given how beyond mediocre their content has been over the last few, I won't have a problem if my mom cancels her subscription. It's expensive enough as it is and soon enough it'll basically be the price of a premium cable package in Canada - given the attractive prices Netflix still marketed themselves at 5 years ago.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Redoing their tiers and just making an actual family plan tier would solve 90% of this while still helping it so one person isn't sharing their password with the whole fucking neighborhood.

That's the exact reason why they won't do this though.

Nassudan

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this is my excuse to finally cancel netflix. Some relatives will be disappointed but they won't be able to access anyway.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
I canceled. Ill probably just sub for a couple months out of the year and catch up on stuff rather than stay subscribed continuously.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
And it sounds like if it's blocked it's blocked even if you try and sign in on your home system, so if I just flip on Netflix on my phone while killing time before Thanksgiving dinner, I've blocked my phone everywhere until I call them.
no, i think it just won't let you use your account on that device unless it's (temporarily) authorized with a code or back on your home network, and you'd only need to call customer service if your stuff is being blocked when it shouldn't be (for example, if your home network isn't properly detected)

Last edited:

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really see a source in the article for the 31 day and 7 day figures. Netflix's own FAQ doesn't mention any specific number either, just a vague "from time to time we check your shit." They send a verification code to your email to verify a device. Doesn't say anything specific about a time limit for the verification.

In any case this seems very easy to subvert. Like very minimal effort. My family logs on, needs a verification code. They just text me and say, "yo, what's the code in the email?" This is what this feels like

winnipeg-blue-bombers.jpg

It's even easier if the primary email account is shared, literally just log in and do it yourself.

It honestly sounds like a decent middle-ground between being incredibly easy to subvert while being just inconvenient enough to work as a deterrent. College kids close with their parents should have an easier time with this than, say, a whole network of folks mooching off one person's account. And like people here are saying they're hoping those that bounce off might just convert to the cheaper ad-supported accounts to bounce back on.

As others have said however you'd think they'd just set up a family plan system at this rate, lol.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Not really against them cracking down on password sharing but this isn't the right way to do it as it seems like it could piss off people who just use the service on their own devices

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
If you boot it up on your home network it will be fine though. Its not just automatically banning every device after 31 days. The issue here is if you haven't booted up Netflix say, on your iPad, in over 31 days and then try for the first time on an airport WiFi. Thats a different situation.
yep. And the ONLY time I watch Netflix on my iPad is when I travel, which I do often. Otherwise I watch it on my tv at home. So I'm going to need to keep track of when I last logged onto Netflix on my iPad which is, like, the least important thing I will need to do with two kids a wife.

What a waste.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Going to have to convince my parents to downgrade their sub. They pay for 4 screens because they wanted one of those screens/accounts for their grandkids (my kids), and another for my brother. Dunno how often they watch things separately, so hopefully I can get them to drop to the single screen.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
I don't like this etc.

But it seems dumb to roll it out without also offering the option to pay extra money to allow outside streaming. Like in the moment people might cave and pay the extra money but if there's a delay for that option I feel like they risk more people just dropping off. Or at least I swear they were talking about having that option in conjunction with this move.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Not only this will backfire by overloading Netflix support, but I seriously doubt it will increase the number of subs. People don't usually like to be forced or bullied into something.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Not only this will backfire by overloading Netflix support, but I seriously doubt it will increase the number of subs. People don't usually like to be forced or bullied into something. It's how people are like.

I don't think it matters if they don't get a single new sub (and they will surely get at least some out of this regardless). It's not intended to be a consumer friendly decision, not at all. It is intended to increase investor confidence and stock price and in that it will certainly be successful, perhaps wildly successful.

At some point people have to accept that a company like netflix isn't about the consumer's satisfaction, they want a high share price and your data. That's all. If they aren't getting your data or even your sub fee and you're impacting their shares then they don't care what you think about this, at best they want you out of the ecosystem entirely.

Last edited:

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think it matters if they don't get a single new sub (and they will surely get at least some out of this regardless). It's not intended to be a consumer friendly decision, not at all. It is intended to increase investor confidence and stock price and in that it will certainly be successful, perhaps wildly successful.
confidence does not do anything when their earning reports don't show improvements. It would be dumb to piss off their customer for a brief pat on the back from the shareholders.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
confidence does not do anything when their earning reports don't show improvements. It would be dumb to piss off their customer for a brief pat on the back from the shareholders.

Completely incorrect. A temporary boost in confidence reflected in share price would be an enormous boon for netflix right now, literally millions of dollars in profit waiting to happen.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
I'm literally on the other side of the planet still using my family's shared Netflix so I guess my free ride is finally coming to an end lmao. Netflix is dirt cheap in this country tho so it's okay.

Oct 27, 2017
How do they determine what your home network is?
Router MAC Address?
Wifi SSID?
External IP?

What if I buy a new router, change my wifi network name, or I don't have a static IP?
It can't be based on wifi, right? Otherwise how would wired devices work?

I just want to know more details about this.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a tedious system for portable devices. Usually the reason I'm watching something on my phone or whatever is because I'm not at home. Having to load the app up at home every month just seems like unnecessary busy work which I'm sure I'd forget to do.

digit_zero

Oct 27, 2017
Ok yeah, unless the temporary code thing ends up being something easily doable to perpetuity (which I doubt) I'll likely be dropping my account when this goes into effect... only thing thats kept me shelling out 20 bucks a month this long is my parents use the account.