lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
Man, fuck off, Netflix. You're already the most expensive streaming service and still have an extra tier for 4K. I was hoping for that paying a few bucks extra for other family members thing they were testing at worst.

I hope this backfires and they lose a decent amount of subscribers. Though, even if that did happen, I guess they wouldn't go back on this, but it'd be nice to see...
Yeah, this doesn't seem like something they can reverse without losing a lot of face if it doesn't work out for them, but the option is probably open for them to introduce the additional surcharge fee for multiple households.

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
Netflix is acting like people can't live without their service. This shit is ridiculous. I'm out.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
We'll have to see how that 7-day pass works. I have a feeling they'll issue it but if that device isn't checked in after the 7 days it'll be blocked until it's back on the home network.

As far as the home network you'll probably just have someone specify in settings. Hulu Live TV and Fubo I believe do that
Thanks, hopefully so, I CBA doing an account migration.

Deleted member 12842

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 27, 2022
I cancelled mine. Will just subscribe periodically from here on out. Basically wasting money for something monthly that we don't always use and they keep jacking the price. So ✌️

Iced_Eagle

Dec 26, 2017
lol, bye Netflix!

I was a subscriber since the DVD days. Hope you enjoy squeezing your remaining customers for more money so you can cancel more shows=.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
They crack down on commercial VPNs by blacklisting IP addresses or IP ranges that have too many connections coming from them. They won't be able to distinguish between connections made by devices physically at a location and devices elsewhere that connect to a VPN server at that location.

I was under the assumption of using a commercial VPN. If you setup your own, you'll be fine. Again, anyone who is determined to still share will be able to do so. They're worried about the masses and not the edge cases. Someone setting up their own personal VPN is an edge case.

Wait, hasent Netflix been losing subs, or atleast stagnated? I feel like this has been reported on

No. They only really lost subscribers for one quarter and then not only made up for that but grew the past two quarters.

JackSwift

Oct 28, 2017
I'm curious to know whether there will be more new subscribers or more people canceling the day they launch this 🤔

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Netflix is too anti consumer (both on how they treat their shows and their consumer) for me to bother keeping it going. It might not effect me at all but I'm just tired of them thinking they're better than everyone else. The market is too saturated to keep subscribing for a couple shows and some shows my kid loves.

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Yea me and my siblings use an account together and live way to far apart for this to work so I guess it's time for them to get their own and for me to cancel my subscription.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
As a show of thanks for paying us a month for free, we have blocked your account.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Ok so instead of getting the money of one person and viewership of two via myself and my mom, you'll get the money of zero and viewership of zero. Once Stranger Things and Cobra Kai wrap up, I'll have no reason to stick around. Bye.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I have to assume that the overall plan to introduce a higher tier "shared plan" service?
I'm sure I'm no the only who would be willing to pay for it to avoid this crap.

Nov 21, 2017
So my question is when will this change happen?

Cause we keep hearing Netflix is gonna crack down. They are going to do x, y, and z. But I've yet to see them actually do anything

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like I'm fucked for my long travel later this year lol (I'll be out of the country for over a month).

RIP

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Maybe? But they also have cracked down on VPNs too and VPN services have had to jump through hoops so get around it. So it'll probably not work in the end.
Yeah will have to test it out. Because it would be weird to block the same IP address as what they detect at someone's home.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
in the words of jeff gerstmann

eYWizltwBtnDLO9Uti2BJ0Lnc3YCp3WH_bjnMACw3t8.jpg

wise words

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
So my question is when will this change happen?

Cause we keep hearing Netflix is gonna crack down. They are going to do x, y, and z. But I've yet to see them actually do anything

I believe they said it should come within the first quarter of this year at their quarterly earnings announcement.

How the hell does it now the home network

How Netflix detects devices within a household

We use information such as IP addresses, device IDs, and account activity from devices signed into the Netflix account.

Sharing your Netflix account

A Netflix account is meant to be shared in one household – people who live in the same location with the account owner.

Yeah will have to test it out. Because it would be weird to block the same IP address as what they detect at someone's home.

I made a poor assumption that this was about commercial VPNs. I think if you set up your own personal VPN that you host, there's no way they'll know. I really think anyone who is determined to still share will be able to find ways to get around this and Netflix aren't concerned about edge cases like that.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I believe they said it should come within the first quarter of this year at their quarterly earnings announcement.

Sharing your Netflix account

A Netflix account is meant to be shared in one household – people who live in the same location with the account owner.

I made a poor assumption that this was about commercial VPNs. I think if you set up your own personal VPN that you host, there's no way they'll know. I really think anyone who is determined to still share will be able to find ways to get around this and Netflix aren't concerned about edge cases like that.
Yeah that makes sense. Yeah no way for them to know that way.

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't subscribe to Netflix, but if I did I would be figuring out OpenVPN to make a home connection (I already use the software for other things).

Start OpenVPN sever service, generate profile for person who needs to sign in, send it to them, they sign in with openvpn client, done.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
This is dumb. I use Netflix on multiple devices as I go about my day, on multiple computers and networks. Why are they making my life hard?

Aug 12, 2019
So if a person travels away from home for more than a month, or does lots of changes to their environment for a job, they can't even access their own service anymore?

Haha, fuck you Netflix, this is draconian, petty bullshit a boardroom came up with because they needed another yacht or some shit. I hope they get buried by all the other streaming services at this point.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
They haven't even banned my $2/ month Turkish plan I've only used in the US for the past 4 years. Maybe get on that before before blocking people that are actually paying real money.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Why do you guys keep posting a 6 year old tweet like a gotcha. That's like a console generation 🤪

Ya, I don't get it either. Did people forget that Sony used to endorse sharing and then cracked down on it later by reducing it from 5 to 2? Companies change direction all the time.

So if a person travels away from home for more than a month, or does lots of changes to their environment for a job, they can't even access their own service anymore?

Haha, fuck you Netflix, this is draconian, petty bullshit a boardroom came up with because they needed another yacht or some shit. I hope they get buried by all the other streaming services at this point.

No, they can. They'll just need to do two factor authentication.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019

View: https://twitter.com/netflix/status/840276073040371712?s=20&t=z2G_ISndX-ACtOOGcNEYow

I mean Netflix encouraged it up until last year and specifically tied 4k to their family plan so they knew what they were doing. Less engagement even from not sharing accounts will probably also hurt show renewals more then is happening now considering that metric means everything to Netflix

Yup. Netflix destroyed Blockbuster and changed the market because they offered a disruptive service in a mature industry. As gross as it is to describe a corporation this way, Netflix used to be "cool". When they still had room for tons of YOY growth in subscriptions, they kept that same mentality of wanting to be the "cool" company. Now they're just as mature and corny as Blockbuster and they're done with cute tweets and gimmicks like this. It's all about squeezing blood from the stone now.

Aug 12, 2019
Ya, I don't get it either. Did people forget that Sony used to endorse sharing and then cracked down on it later by reducing it from 5 to 2? Companies change direction all the time.

No, they can. They'll just need to do two factor authentication.

And there are plenty of people who 2-factor becomes a huge problem for as well with like work related travel, so it's still putting unnecessary barriers on people using the service before it starts screwing with password sharing.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah. This absolutely won't work for college students and active duty military.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
And there are plenty of people who 2-factor becomes a huge problem for as well with like work related travel,

Can you elaborate how this is a problem for people who have work related travel?

so it's still putting unnecessary barriers on people using the service before it starts screwing with password sharing.

I'm not seeing how this is impacting those people before it impacts people password sharing. It'll impact them at the same time and if anything the people who are sharing first unless someone is traveling the minute it starts.

Tedesco!

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 30, 2017
My ex-wife and I share Netflix for the kids. Looks like she'll have to get her own account?

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This feels like a bad solution that is honestly more likely to punish more legitimate uses like travel or grey area ones like a college student who still shares an account with their parents, but likely isn't going to pony up for the subscription themselves because they don't have that much money. On the other hand, it actually does jack shit to stop account sharing between people who just don't live far apart because it really isn't hard to arrange with a friend for you to stop by their house once a month to log into netflix or shit like that provided you live nearby.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
On the other hand, it actually does jack shit to stop account sharing between people who just don't live far apart because it really isn't hard to arrange with a friend for you to stop by their house once a month to log into netflix or shit like that provided you live nearby.

A lot of people use built in apps in their TV. I highly doubt they're going to be lugging their TV around. Plus, Netflix knows exactly what devices access their service and what types of devices access it per account. I'm sure they have a pretty good idea with their usage behavior that they know how this will impact people. For a company that we know is data driven, it seems weird to dismiss that they know exactly how their service is accessed and from where to make a reasonable prediction model.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people use built in apps in their TV. I highly doubt they're going to be lugging their TV around. Plus, Netflix knows exactly what devices access their service and what types of devices access it per account. I'm sure they have a pretty good idea with their usage behavior that they know how this will impact people. For a company that we know is data driven, it seems weird to dismiss that they know exactly how their service is accessed and from where to make a reasonable prediction model.
Yeah that's a fair point which I only considered later

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking stupid. If I go away for over a month and I'm subbed, I'm just not allowed to use the service I pay for? lol