CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That's just ridiculous.
Thank god their content makes leaving easy for me (okay gonna re-sub for the final season of cobra Kai)

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Does nobody read? You can still access the service you paid for.
So what happens if someone goes on a trip that's over 5 weeks? or one that's over 1 week if they don't use their portable device at home much and forget to sign in? Or if someone's work regularly has them moving between 2 homes for extended periods of time? These are admittedly not common scenarios, but they're not exactly unheard of either

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
lol, okay. Goodbye Netflix.

We (my Netflix group) have already canceled our subscription. From now on I'll be a one-month-per-year type of customer I guess.

The last seasons of Cobra Kai and Stranger Things is all I want and once that's done I probably won't get into new Netflix shows.

For example, I have Apple TV+, but I haven't opened the app to watch anything in months. So, following the Netflix rule, I'd be banned? I don't understand. It's ridiculous; people should complain.
Yep. I also went through stretches of several months of me not using / opening Netflix during the last years and that'd be a huge hassle now it seems.

This will definitely not be Netflix' final form.

Last edited:

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Hmm. I don't think so. Most people will just pay the fee to add their mooching family members.

Honestly, would have been easier to just increase prices across the board. But they're trying to get people to sign up for (any tier of) Netflix.

Yeah my GF was sharing my account and I just started paying her own access. The whole blocking thing was getting annoying and Netflix was getting smarter if I was in my house or her, it was weird.

Some dont care if they lose the access, but she uses it a LOT, I use it on ocassions, better to have it than to not have it.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
For example, I have Apple TV+, but I haven't opened the app to watch anything in months. So, following the Netflix rule, I'd be banned? I don't understand. It's ridiculous; people should complain.

No you would not be "banned". If you opened the app for the first time in months on you home network, it would open as normal. If you opened your app for the first time in months on an outside network, they'd email you a code to use as a temporary solution for 7 days until you can get back to your home network and re-validate the device you were on. This really isn't that crazy or tough to decipher.

Oct 28, 2017
This sounds much worse than I originally thought. I use Netflix for travel often, but with this it just seems like a hassle.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
So what happens if someone goes on a trip that's over 5 weeks? or one that's over 1 week if they don't use their portable device at home much and forget to sign in? Or if someone's work regularly has them moving between 2 homes for extended periods of time? These are admittedly not common scenarios, but they're not exactly unheard of either

You'll then just have to do two factor authentication to access it beyond that month.

Which part, exactly? 7 days? Yes, I read that.

My point stands.

How does your point stand when you said you'd lose access? Having to do two factor authentication means you can still access your service.

No, you won't be banned. Man why are people having so much trouble with this? Your Apple TV will be on your home network. Anything on your home network will be fine. You can go two years without using it and then turn it on and since it's on your home network, it will work just fine. Anything on your home network is automatically validated whenever you use it.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Man why are people having so much trouble with this?

People are either being intentionally obtuse in order to heighten their outrage, or people on this forum are way less tech savvy than I thought. Like literally in any thread about any sort of sub people are like "TURN ON TWO FACTOR AUTHORIZATION" yet can't understand what is basically the same principle from a functional standpoint?

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You'll then just have to do two factor authentication to access it beyond that month.

How does your point stand when you said you'd lose access? Having to do two factor authentication means you can still access your service.

No, you won't be banned. Man why are people having so much trouble with this? Your Apple TV will be on your home network. Anything on your home network will be fine. You can go two years without using it and then turn it on and since it's on your home network, it will work just fine. Anything on your home network is automatically validated whenever you use it.
Where does it mention that you'd be able to access your account via 2FA if they block it for this reason? Because that'd be a trivial workaround. I have accounts I share where someone else in my family is the main holder and they have 2FA, I just text them for the code if I need to log in. If you can do that this is doomed to fail, and since I don't see it mentioned anywhere I doubt it will work at least until you're back at your home network

astro

Oct 25, 2017
7 days, which means I probably can't keep doing it if I go longer especially if people in my house want to keep using it. Otherwise, you could just keep endlessly generating the code for someone outside your household. Or just generate it for them for the time it takes them to watch a show. Tell me exactly which part confirms anything else.

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to see the viewership numbers and ratings a month after they hardcore drop password sharing.

My girlfriend pays for Netflix while I pay for HBO Max. I use Netflix on a TV in a separate house. Her sister and mother also both use the same Netflix account on their own TV's in their own houses in different towns. No one is going to bring their TV off their wall to log into a home network in another house. So in our situation, no more Netflix for anyone else but the home account.

Last edited:

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
People are either being intentionally obtuse in order to heighten their outrage, or people on this forum are way less tech savvy than I thought. Like literally in any thread about any sort of sub people are like "TURN ON TWO FACTOR AUTHORIZATION" yet can't understand what is basically the same principle from a functional standpoint?

Ya, or even worse find two factor authentication so intrusive and annoying that they can't be bothered.

Where does it mention that you'd be able to access your account via 2FA if they block it for this reason? Because that'd be a trivial workaround. I have accounts I share where someone else in my family is the main holder and they have 2FA, I just text them for the code if I need to log in. If you can do that this is doomed to fail, and since I don't see it mentioned anywhere I doubt it will work at least until you're back at your home network

Given how many people in just this thread alone are having so much trouble grasping this, it seems like Netflix will be safe from people passing on two factor authentication codes. I think anyone who is determined to share, will still be able to share. But again, given how this is so hard for people to grasp, it's going to be easy for Netflix to catch a lot of people with this who won't be able to get past it if this thread is anything to go on or will find it to be enough friction to not bother.

7 days, which means I probably can't keep doing it if I go longer especially if people in my house want to keep using it. OItherwise, you could just keep endlessly generating the code for someone outside your household. Or just generate it for them for the time it takes them to watch a show. Tell me exactly which part confirms anything you're saying.

Where do you get the idea that you won't be able to do it after 7 days? Netflix knows that people travel for more than 7 days. 7 days is likely the amount of time they picked that would make it annoying enough to have to constantly send someone a code within 15 minutes of the request, but not so annoying enough if someone is on a two week vacation and didn't have a device already authorized to enter a code twice on their vacation. It doesn't take much to put two and two together to se that you're not going to be allowed to do a one time 7 day window and that's it. Their FAQ doesn't make any indication either.

Sharing your Netflix account

A Netflix account is meant to be shared in one household – people who live in the same location with the account owner.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ya, or even worse find two factor authentication so intrusive and annoying that they can't be bothered.

Given how many people in just this thread alone are having so much trouble grasping this, it seems like Netflix will be safe from people passing on two factor authentication codes. I think anyone who is determined to share, will still be able to share. But again, given how this is so hard for people to grasp, it's going to be easy for Netflix to catch a lot of people with this who won't be able to get past it if this thread is anything to go on.

Where do you get the idea that you won't be able to do it after 7 days? Netflix knows that people travel for more than 7 days. 7 days is likely the amount of time they picked that would make it annoying enough to have to constantly send someone a code within 15 minutes of the request, but not so annoying enough if someone is on a two week vacation and didn't have a device already authorized to enter a code twice on their vacation. It doesn't take much to put two and two together to se that you're not going to be allowed to do a one time 7 day window and that's it. Their FAQ doesn't make any indication either.

A Netflix account is meant to be shared in one household – people who live in the same location with the account owner.
Again where are you getting this idea that 2FA will do jack shit here? The sources in this thread certainly don't mention it. Have you considered the reason others don't "grasp" it is because the idea that 2FA will be a workaround is something you just made up inside your own head? I've thoroughly scoured the original source in this thread and it's not referenced at all. People aren't bringing it up because there's literally no reason to believe it will work

astro

Oct 25, 2017

...because if you could just get a code whenever I could just let people outside my house keep generating keys whenever they wanted to watch. It would pretty much make this entire thing useless. There has to be some restriction on it.

And the fact you jumped in with a neeedlessly rude comment suggesting I didn't read when literally nothing in there backs up what you're saying is pretty fucking funny.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Given how many people in just this thread alone are having so much trouble grasping this, it seems like Netflix will be safe from people passing on two factor authentication codes. I think anyone who is determined to share, will still be able to share. But again, given how this is so hard for people to grasp, it's going to be easy for Netflix to catch a lot of people with this who won't be able to get past it if this thread is anything to go on or will find it to be enough friction to not bother.

Ok I think I get where the confusion comes from. Their FAQ obviously doesn't say anything about this, because that FAQ is their current policy and not the new one that is being discussed here which hasn't been implemented yet. That webpage hasn't been updated since March of last year, it's irrelevant to this discussion

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
This is garbage, I'd cancel my account but my parents use it regularly :(

I hate rewarding Netflix, but me living a planet away from my parents means I'll have to pay for account sharing privileges...

Ventilaator

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"If your device has been blocked incorrectly, you'll need to contact Netflix in order to get it unblocked."

Bold of them to assume I wouldn't immediately cancel Netflix forever if this happened.

immy

Jul 3, 2022
Nice to see a joint venture between Nintendo and netflix come to fruition

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
How do they determine what your home network is?
Router MAC Address?
Wifi SSID?
External IP?

What if I buy a new router, change my wifi network name, or I don't have a static IP?
It can't be based on wifi, right? Otherwise how would wired devices work?

I just want to know more details about this.
Not much details yet but the most practical I would think is it would identify your main home from the IP address of devices accessing it.

Nobody knows how they determine it yet for when IP addresses change, but a simple solution for that would be to use TVs and streaming boxes as anchor devices, since they're less likely to be moved around. The Netflix app almost certainly reports client device to the server, so they simply need to update the IP address when a TV or streaming box accesses the service but has a different address to what Netflix previously recorded as the main home.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not much details yet but the most practical I would think is it would identify your main home from the IP address of devices accessing it.

Nobody knows how they determine it yet for when IP addresses change, but a simple solution for that would be to use TVs and streaming boxes as anchor devices, since they're less likely to be moved around. The Netflix app almost certainly reports client device to the server, so they simply need to update the IP address when a TV or streaming box accesses the service but has a different address to what Netflix previously recorded as the main home.
So what happens if someone just moves to a new physical address? Pretty much everything is changing in that scenario, it's something that happens to people all the time, and I doubt people are going to be happy if they have to call netflix support everytime they have to move on top of the existing hassle of just moving that they already need to deal with

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
The travelling thing is insane. I use Netflix when I travel all the time

May 14, 2021
We just canceled our Netflix.

I'll re-sub for a month when Stranger Things S4 comes out but that's the only thing they have I'm interested in, period.

Hulu, HBO Max, Amazon Prime, Apple TV (Free), Peacock (Free), Disney+ (Free), Netflix

Not a big loss in the scheme of things.
Good news, Season 4 is out and it's fucking awesome.

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmmm the main reason I still subscribed to Netflix is to share with my parents. If she loses her ability to use Netflix, then I guess there isn't much reason for me to stay subscribed. There are other streaming services plus Plex that are highly competitive with Netflix now, it seems.

Deleted member 12867

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol people are totally going to jump through these hoops and stop sharing accounts and just subscribe so many streaming services it's cable again. Definitely not going to see an uptick in piracy.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
I'm willing to bet they'll spend more money paying employees to unlock false positives than they're theoretically expecting to make off this...

Nov 1, 2017
Welp, Time to finish my current watchlist. 6+ years of good to average content but none of the shows/movies past six months interested me. I wanted to cancel in 2021 but my sister vetoed it but it looks like she can't anymore.

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
User Banned (3 Days): Advocating piracy
Nope. This will end my many year long subscription. Maybe I should look up those torrents again…

Abylim

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 29, 2017
After this news, I'll cancel my sub, my ex wife is cancelling and my new partners family is cancelling.

I have an acct I use in my home for my partner and kid, my ex wife has one that she shares with our kid, she comes To my house off and on. My partners fam has a plan that's in my partners name that she doesn't use anymore that they share with their son in another house. neither Wanna pay full price for the sub instead of splitting it two ways.

my acct was being shared to my buddy that is unemployed.he lives about 40 mins away. I watch Netflix enough, but it helped increase its perceived value if I was helping my friend out. My ex wife is sharing her account with her mom and feels the same. Her mom lives about a hour away. She won't pay if she can't share.

been subbed since 2015
fuck Netflix.

Deleted member 12867

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do cable companies have on demand streaming for all the shows and movies on their service? I'm legit thinking about uncutting the cord.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
This does seem to be only preventing new shares on new devices on a new IP if I read this read this right.

As long people are already logged on to your account, they can still open the app and watch stuff.

Also how does it know which is your primary network?

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
If I can't share with my parents and sister, I'm out. I don't use Netflix enough for this.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to see how quickly they do a 180 on this when it backfires spectactularly

EternalDarko

Oct 26, 2017
This is so absolutely stupid and ill thought out.

I pretty much never use netflix on my phone/ipad/laptop when I'm home since my TVs have native netflix apps, so in the occasions that I do want to use it when away from home, it'll never actually work unless I remember to log into it at home first before I head out.

The most inconvenient bullshit they could have come up with. And also, way to add a ridiculous amount of workload to your support teams dumbflix.

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
It's really funny how companies really start to penny pinch customers when they become uber successful.

When they have 10 mil subscribers they are very pro consumer, when they hit hundreds of millions of subscribers they raise prices and get more scummy.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I guess if/when I get a text from my parents or my in-laws asking why they're locked out, it will be a great excuse to cancel.