Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe a little bit out of context, but i LOVE how Ito is always cool about dropping some knowledge on his work.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Maybe a little bit out of context, but i LOVE how Ito is always cool about dropping some knowledge on his work.
When he's in the mood to do so. His standard reply is usually
3aUTm3Y.png

which makes him even more based

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
There's an additional Silent Hill leak that's not related to SH2R, but to the Sakura teaser that seems like it's about to get spread. Already saw some in possession of it, and was the thing I was hoping wouldn't get leaked and kinda' confirms what I suspected was leaked.

My suggestion if you want to avoid spoilers is not to look too deeply at it, the leak includes an entire story transcript of Sakura that spoils the whole thing (in Japanese, but still). I actually quite like the story of Sakura, and would recommend not to spoil it for yourself if interested in playing it.

I know for many people there's the curiously aspect, many currently don't believe this leak is real, but it is, & I think having the story of that spoiled sucks, & recommend avoiding it if you're at all interested in playing the free teaser in the future.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
There's an additional Silent Hill leak that's not related to SH2R, but to the Sakura teaser that seems like it's about to get spread. Already saw some in possession of it, and was the thing I was hoping wouldn't get leaked and kinda' confirms what I suspected was leaked.

My suggestion if you want to avoid spoilers is not to look too deeply at it, the leak includes an entire story transcript of Sakura that spoils the whole thing (in Japanese, but still). I actually quite like the story of Sakura, and would recommend not to spoil it for yourself if interested in playing it.

I know for many people there's the curiously aspect, many currently don't believe this leak is real, but it is, & I think having the story of that spoiled sucks, & recommend avoiding it if you're at all interested in playing the free teaser in the future.
So, being absolutely concrete: is that leak you mention credible AND spoils the totality of the story of said "sakura"? As in "it will ruin it for you and should be avoided, and it's gonna leak everywhere"? Y/n?

OP
OP
Angie

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona

And where can I find those leaks? 👀

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
So, being absolutely concrete: is that leak you mention credible AND spoils the totality of the story of said "sakura"? As in "it will ruin it for you and should be avoided, and it's gonna leak everywhere"? Y/n?
Yes to both, you'll see some screens I shared before along with some early stuff I never showed, though I have a lot more than what's posted, the thing leaking includes (in Japanese) an entire story transcript for the free teaser. It's really full of spoilers, and I would 100% recommend if you plan to play the free teaser in the future NOT to read them.

I kinda' realized what was getting leaked, its old but real, and this particular part I was hoping wouldn't be posted, but I sorta' know what the person leaking is in possession of, and I know right now everyone's still in the period of doubting these leaks are real, but they 100% are, and this bit has major spoilers for something I think many would prefer to experience when its out. It may be a free thing, but I do think it'll be worth experiencing rather than being spoiled on it before its even announced.

BloodRayne

Jul 3, 2020

d3FLugB.png

Angela Orosco or Sakura character?

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Yes to both, you'll see some screens I shared before along with some early stuff I never showed, though I have a lot more than what's posted, the thing leaking includes (in Japanese) an entire story transcript for the free teaser. It's really full of spoilers, and I would 100% recommend if you plan to play the free teaser in the future NOT to read them.

I kinda' realized what was getting leaked, its old but real, and this particular part I was hoping wouldn't be posted, but I sorta' know what the person leaking is in possession of, and I know right now everyone's still in the period of doubting these leaks are real, but they 100% are, and this bit has major spoilers for something I think many would prefer to experience when its out. It may be a free thing, but I do think it'll be worth experiencing rather than being spoiled on it before its even announced.
Thanks, I know you like being more ambiguous and appreciate you being clear. SH and you have a…difficult history sometimes, but you were spot on with RE village so it's better being safe than sorry and avoid major spoilers.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
So the upcoming story leak is just for the short free teaser and not actually one of the full fledged games? Phew, had me worried there.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019

Oh lord. Hope the teaser comes to more than just PS (namely, PC) so it doesn't get lost forever some day.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
So the upcoming story leak is just for the short free teaser and not actually one of the full fledged games? Phew, had me worried there.
There's a version of it that might get shared which omits the story spoilers, but there definitely is a version with story spoilers. I guess to see what gets publicly circulated.

I know on surface level could be a lot worse, and definitely could be, but this is a case even if a free thing, I do honestly believe more will enjoy the story of it than they're expecting.

That one is one of the two I've seen circulating, that just includes a tiny bit of the whole and doesn't include the story spoilers, mostly stuff I showed before and some dev stuff. I have also seen this morning in private circles the story spoilers out there. I guess to see what people in possession decide to do, but I honestly think if the story spoilers get out there it just sucks, honestly.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Some TLOU Part 1 dev stuff in there as well, quite random but I guess it sort of confirms this comes from Sony's side? Assuming it's all the same leak.

antonio

Jan 12, 2018
I will try to avoid spoilers, thanks for the heads up.

As for SH2, I don't see any point for a remake, the original is still awesome, especially the enhanced version.

Oct 27, 2017
Roma, Italia

Can't wait to have something to play and speculate about for months with fellow enthusiasts. Hope the free p.t. comes out asap, this month or the next, even

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care about spoilers. Hell, I spoil every bit of media I can before I enjoy it. I'm gonna be huntin' for them spoilers tonight, I can tell you that much! Hopefully someone has an English translation.

AtlasRyker

Jun 21, 2021
You don't know how excited I am about this project, not only SH2R, but also Sakura (SH5) and Annapurna's stories.

Although I am more interested in the Annapurna and SH5 project, I think that for once I will give the benefit of doubt to Bloober regarding this remake.

If golem has some confidence in all of this, I think it's possible that something promising could come out of it.

Beau Dazzle

Jan 20, 2019
[T]here's actually several people who worked on the original SH2 working on this alongside Bloober.

But that is all I'm going to say, I will not elaborate. My goal is not to ruin the surprises, but at this point I think I should share that little nugget at least.

That, for me (and maybe in combination with the blurry, early internal pitch screenshots), was the perfect amount of leaking. It's alive (ALIIIIVEE!) and it's got some creative oversight/guardrails from original staff; it's enough to know honest work's being done for more than another pachinko machine. I hope I don't see any (huge) spoilers between now and the official reveal! Seriously, thanks for confirming juuuust enough. ☺️

smokey5604

Oct 25, 2017
Colorado
That, for me (and maybe in combination with the blurry, early internal pitch screenshots), was the perfect amount of leaking. It's alive (ALIIIIVEE!) and it's got some creative oversight/guardrails from original staff; it's enough to know honest work's being done for more than another pachinko machine. I hope I don't see any (huge) spoilers between now and the official reveal! Seriously, thanks for confirming juuuust enough. ☺️
Yeah I'm content knowing it is real.

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
While true that limitations can ultimately improve things, if he was indeed originally intended to be a stalker character (citations needed on that)... that'd mean that the devs of the original SH2 thought that he should be a stalker character, and thus shouldn't have been the ones to make SH2 according to you:

That said, I agree that PH stalking the player the entire game would be for the worse. But obviously we should be resigning ourselves to accept that this remake will be worse than the original no matter how you slice it, and implementing a mechanic that was supposedly considered for the original game would be one of the less egregious ways for Bloober to color outside the lines.
Nobody can provide a citation for that because it's not even really true. Pyramid Head wasn't trying to hunt James in Silent Hill 2.

Pyramid Head is the part of James Sunderland's mind that's trying to erase his delusions and force him to come back to reality (and remember what he did to Mary). This is the reason he hunts down Maria and kills the other monsters. The whole game, Pyramid Head was a part of James' psyche trying to help him. Even attacking him at times ties into his guilt, desire for punishment, and inner conflict.

56xAVby.jpg

0Q2Dc07.jpg

pmq9L86.jpg

This quote from Jacob's Ladder is basically Pyramid Head:

You're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the earth. It's just a matter of how you look at it, that's all.

If James' survival instinct kicks in and he's fleeing through multiple hallways to get away, no way is Pyramid Head going to chase him. Turning him into a relentless stalker like that makes absolutely no sense. Having Pyramid Head chase James is like saying "My psychological defenses are trying to hunt me down and kill me." Huh?

Even the apparent exceptions prove the rule.

My problem with this is that while it sounds great on paper, it's got too many asterisks next to it.
Pyramid Head never tries to kill James***
*Except in the two boss fights against him
*Unless you run into him in the Labyrinth where he'll chase after you
*Also don't get in his way in the Hospital hallway either

To address this:
  • Pyramid Head doesn't actually chase you in Brookhaven Hospital. He was specifically targeting Maria.
  • There's an Mandella Effect on certain parts of the internet where people believe Pyramid Head chases you in the Labyrinth. This never really happens. He'll attack if you go up to him, but that's really it. You're not even the top priority.
  • You won't encounter Pyramid Head in the Labyrinth unless you get lost or are actively seeking him out. Turning him into stalker undermines his role in the level. (And again, why would Pyramid Head be stalking James anyways?)
  • The only time he actively hunts you is in two scripted "boss" fights that serve a pivotal role in the story. In the first one, James Sunderland is still wrestling with himself and has to overcome his guilt/denial. In the second one, he has to prove that he's done with Pyramid Head.
  • In both "boss" fights, you don't actually deal damage to him. You just outrun him until he leaves/gives up on his own. (Attacking him only speeds up the process.)
There were originally going to be Lying Figures in the Wood Side Apartments lobby, and Pyramid Head was going to free-roam the apartments and the Otherworld streets (which isn't the same thing as stalking someone; more of a "Don't get in his way."). However, these were cut for the better and there's no evidence that it was due to technical limitations. Having Pyramid Head roam the apartments undermines the impact of the first boss encounter, while having him roam the Otherworld streets undermines Maria's death and the impact of the Historical Society/Labyrinth.

Pyramid Head is a subversion of the stalker trope, not the Nemesis of Silent Hill. Plus, do we really want a relentless slasher in a game renowned for its restrained psychological horror?

That's another problem with the remake. So many of the things a lot of people (broadly speaking) want or think "belong" in Silent Hill 2 are just bad ideas.

For example, I'm really not buying the idea that the remake "needs" Resident Evil 2-style camera to appeal to "mainstream gamers and streamers" (which it shouldn't be trying to do anyways). For one thing, more than two types of cameras exist. Silent Hill 2 doesn't have a fixed camera and it doesn't force you to use tank controls. Modern games like the Souls series have the same camera perspective that Silent Hill 2 does (albeit without having to hold "R2").

View: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/TmMDpD9hYPM

Other modern games like Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, The Medium, and many others have a more restrictive camera than Silent Hill 2 does. There's absolutely no reason a remake can't do a Souls-style camera while maintaining the parts with cinematic angles. Silent Hill isn't Resident Evil and it has nothing to do with Resident Evil, so comparing the two is detrimental most of the time.

The point of the original camera was to reflect the mental state of the protagonist and service the atmosphere:

090-091_iv_the_emperor_&_v_the_hierophant.jpg

The problem with Resident Evil 2 camera is that it conveys the exact opposite: that you're playing as a clear-minded character with a firm grip on reality and their surroundings. It's also impossible to do over-the-shoulder camera without completely redesigning the game and anyone who trusts Bloober Team to do that is hopelessly optimistic.

Another thing is combat. Silent Hill isn't an action/horror series like Resident Evil and combat isn't meant to be a "fun" mechanic per se. Silent Hill protagonists are intended to be realistic human beings, not video gamey action heroes (which is where games like Silent Hill: Homecoming went completely wrong). The protagonist can't fight, struggles to catch his breath after running for too long, combat is just swinging around a blunt object... They're basically "everymen."

If you want an example of what Silent Hill combat is "supposed" to look like, just play the Forbidden Siren games. Definitely don't try to copy Resident Evil's combat (or really anything from modern Resident Evil).

Bloober Team is probably going to make every bad decision in the book. Superhuman or exaggerated combat, Resident Evil 2 camera, Naughty Dog-esque "muhdern" voice actors in a game inspired by David Lynch, rewriting the intentional dialogue to be "less confusing," inserting their personal fan fiction (especially in the new endings), canonising sexual frustration theory, giving the Bubble Head Nurses a solid head, removing the leg braces from the Mannequins, giving Pyramid Head a hole in his helmet, overwriting subtle symbolism, over-the-top (and probably silly) scares, ETC. This game is just a bad idea in every way.

Fb08N-iX0AEo7me

Between the camera, voice acting, and rewritten dialogue, all of the dreaminess and surrealism is going to be sucked out of it. It's going to feel like you're playing as a fully conscious clear-headed character walking around an alternate dimension, despite the Otherworld literally being a paranormal state where dream intersects with reality (which causes the physical manifestation of delusions). It's fucking dumb, honestly. What's worse is that it's going to create a fresh new batch of misconceptions for newcomers and will probably affect future games in shitty ways, just the 2006 film did.

Anyways, a lot of mainstream gamers should be happy. They're finally getting the conventional blockbuster Resident Evil clone they always wished Silent Hill 2 was.

I thought we heard that the rumor that Bloober were doing it was "wrong?"
That was mostly Darkknight reading too much into an interview the CEO of Blobber did about remakes where they said something like 'we won't just remake something without our spin' and Dk 1) took that as 100% fact and 2) that they were literally saying they wouldn't do a remake of something even though that clearly wasn't what was being said
Bloober Team didn't say "We won't remake a game unless we can do our own spin." That's an attempt to cheese the quote.

They said they don't do remakes of other publisher's games as part of their company philosophy. Or more accurately, "we won't do another publisher's IP unless we can tell a brand new story," which is saying the same thing in different words.

m

This was also the context of the interview:
  • IGN: "Are the rumours true that you're remaking Silent Hill 2?"
  • Bloober: "We won't work on another publisher's IP unless we can tell a brand new story, because we don't want to be in prison."
There's no reason to sugar coat it, Bloober Team's CEO lied.

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody can provide a citation for that because it's not even really true. Pyramid Head wasn't trying to hunt James in Silent Hill 2.

Pyramid Head is the part of James Sunderland's mind that's trying to erase his delusions and force him to come back to reality (and remember what he did to Mary). This is the reason he hunts down Maria and kills the other monsters. The whole game, Pyramid Head was a part of James' psyche trying to help him. Even attacking him at times ties into his guilt, desire for punishment, and inner conflict.

56xAVby.jpg

0Q2Dc07.jpg

pmq9L86.jpg

This quote from Jacob's Ladder is basically Pyramid Head:

If James' survival instinct kicks in and he's fleeing through multiple hallways to get away, no way is Pyramid Head going to chase him. Turning him into a relentless stalker like that makes absolutely no sense. Having Pyramid Head chase James is like saying "My psychological defenses are trying to hunt me down and kill me." Huh?

Even the apparent exceptions prove the rule.

To address this:
  • Pyramid Head doesn't actually chase you in Brookhaven Hospital. He was specifically targeting Maria.
  • There's an Mandella Effect on certain parts of the internet where people believe Pyramid Head chases you in the Labyrinth. This never really happens. He'll attack if you go up to him, but that's really it. You're not even the top priority.
  • You won't encounter Pyramid Head in the Labyrinth unless you get lost or are actively seeking him out. Turning him into stalker undermines his role in the level. (And again, why would Pyramid Head be stalking James anyways?)
  • The only time he actively hunts you is in two scripted "boss" fights that serve a pivotal role in the story. In the first one, James Sunderland is still wrestling with himself and has to overcome his guilt/denial. In the second one, he has to prove that he's done with Pyramid Head.
  • In both "boss" fights, you don't actually deal damage to him. You just outrun him until he leaves/gives up on his own. (Attacking him only speeds up the process.)
There were originally going to be Lying Figures in the Wood Side Apartments lobby, and Pyramid Head was going to free-roam the apartments and the Otherworld streets (which isn't the same thing as stalking someone; more of a "Don't get in his way."). However, these were cut for the better and there's no evidence that it was due to technical limitations. Having Pyramid Head roam the apartments undermines the impact of the first boss encounter, while having him roam the Otherworld streets undermines Maria's death and the impact of the Historical Society/Labyrinth.

Pyramid Head is a subversion of the stalker trope, not the Nemesis of Silent Hill. Plus, do we really want a relentless slasher in a game renowned for its restrained psychological horror?

That's another problem with the remake. So many of the things a lot of people (broadly speaking) want or think "belong" in Silent Hill 2 are just bad ideas.

For example, I'm really not buying the idea that the remake "needs" Resident Evil 2-style camera to appeal to "mainstream gamers and streamers" (which it shouldn't be trying to do anyways). For one thing, more than two types of cameras exist. Silent Hill 2 doesn't have a fixed camera and it doesn't force you to use tank controls. Modern games like the Souls series have the same camera perspective that Silent Hill 2 does (albeit without having to hold "R2").

View: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/TmMDpD9hYPM

Other modern games like Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, The Medium, and many others have a more restrictive camera than Silent Hill 2 does. There's absolutely no reason a remake can't do a Souls-style camera while maintaining the parts with cinematic angles. Silent Hill isn't Resident Evil and it has nothing to do with Resident Evil, so comparing the two is detrimental most of the time.

The point of the original camera was to reflect the mental state of the protagonist and service the atmosphere:

090-091_iv_the_emperor_&_v_the_hierophant.jpg

The problem with Resident Evil 2 camera is that it conveys the exact opposite: that you're playing as a clear-minded character with a firm grip on reality and their surroundings. It's also impossible to do over-the-shoulder camera without completely redesigning the game and anyone who trusts Bloober Team to do that is hopelessly optimistic.

Another thing is combat. Silent Hill isn't an action/horror series like Resident Evil and combat isn't meant to be a "fun" mechanic per se. Silent Hill protagonists are intended to be realistic human beings, not video gamey action heroes (which is where games like Silent Hill: Homecoming went completely wrong). The protagonist can't fight, struggles to catch his breath after running for too long, combat is just swinging around a blunt object... They're basically "everymen."

If you want an example of what Silent Hill combat is "supposed" to look like, just play the Forbidden Siren games. Definitely don't try to copy Resident Evil's combat (or really anything from modern Resident Evil).

Bloober Team is probably going to make every bad decision in the book. Superhuman or exaggerated combat, Resident Evil 2 camera, Naughty Dog-esque "muhdern" voice actors in a game inspired by David Lynch, rewriting the intentional dialogue to be "less confusing," inserting their personal fan fiction (especially in the new endings), canonising sexual frustration theory, giving the Bubble Head Nurses a solid head, removing the leg braces from the Mannequins, giving Pyramid Head a hole in his helmet, overwriting subtle symbolism, over-the-top (and probably silly) scares, ETC. This game is just a bad idea in every way.

Fb08N-iX0AEo7me

Between the camera, voice acting, and rewritten dialogue, all of the dreaminess and surrealism is going to be sucked out of it. It's going to feel like you're playing as a fully conscious clear-headed character walking around an alternate dimension, despite the Otherworld literally being a paranormal state where dream intersects with reality (which causes the physical manifestation of delusions). It's fucking dumb, honestly. What's worse is that it's going to create a fresh new batch of misconceptions for newcomers and will probably affect future games in shitty ways, just the 2006 film did.

Anyways, a lot of mainstream gamers should be happy. They're finally getting the conventional blockbuster Resident Evil clone they always wished Silent Hill 2 was.

Bloober Team didn't say "We won't remake a game unless we can do our own spin." That's an attempt to cheese the quote.

They said they don't do remakes of other publisher's games as part of their company philosophy. Or more accurately, "we won't do another publisher's IP unless we can tell a brand new story," which is saying the same thing in different words.

m

• Bloober: "We won't work on another publisher's IP unless we can tell a brand new story, because we don't want to be in prison."

Doing God's work.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
To address this:

Whoa. This post was almost a month old and has been completely removed from it's original context. Come on now.
What I said immediately after that list which you removed for the quote was this:
"Like, trust me, I'm aware of the role Pyramid Head plays in the story. It's great. And the details about what his actions are actually contributing to is great. But from a gameplay perspective, you can Game Over to him. He actively attacks and chases down James. We can consider scenarios where you die to him "non-canon" for the sake of the deeper story but then there's nothing stopping us from doing the same thing if he's a stalker enemy for a segment either. The only actual difference is that it's not something that was done in SH2 before."

My point was that what Pyramid Head is doing in the story and what Pyramid Head is doing in the gameplay are two different things. Yes, Pyramid Head's target during his encounter in the hospital is Maria. But he will attack and kill James too. Yes, Pyramid Head is just walking in a big circle in the Labyrinth. But he will attack and come after James if you go in that section. You have two boss fights against him where he will kill you and you will get a Game Over. This is done to make him a threat, so players remain afraid of him. Having him being a stalker doesn't contradict his role in the story any more than the gameplay already does. That's my point. You can throw him as a stalker in the hospital when you're walking around with Maria and the justification would be the exact same as the original game.

You can dislike the idea all you want. You don't like stalkers in horror games. I get it. But don't act like it wouldn't fit in SH2 for some grand thematic reason because the game already compromises it's story for the sake of gameplay and horror. This would be nothing different. As I said, the only actual difference is that it wasn't done in the original.

Look, I totally respect your passion for this series (it's a passion I share, clearly) and I understand why you feel pessimistic about it's future given it's history. Hell, I said as much earlier in this thread while you were getting kinda dogpiled. But I feel like you're often a bit too condescending towards literally any other horror and the people that enjoy it. Like I get it, you don't think anything else is as good as SH2 and you're upset at the notion that it's going to be watered down for mass market appeal. But there's nothing wrong with people liking Resident Evil and liking Silent Hill more doesn't make anyone above the "mainstream gamers". 99% of people who like SH2 understand what sets it apart from RE.

Also, as has been said many times, we haven't even seen this game yet. You have no idea what we're getting. None of us do.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020

m

What do you think 'doing your own spin' means?

Apr 5, 2022
Also, as has been said many times, we haven't even seen this game yet. You have no idea what we're getting. None of us do.

This part of this post really rings out to me, people need to understand just like passionate people like Darkknight here and I do love your points Darkknight but...thinking that the SH2 Remake is going to be dog poopie when we don't know what the final version looks like and not only that? We have NO idea how it plays/looks in motion or seen the atmopshere but the voice actors WILL change just like RE2 Remake's did which was for the better, the point is...this SH2 Remake is not just for the hardcore fans, It's for the mainstream people who would want to get into the Silent Hill universe (just like the HBO The Last of Us TV Show is a gateway for casual gamers who don't even know TLOU is to play the OG Game/PS5 Remake or FF7 Remake actually attracted more gamers who never EVER touched the original due to never hearing about FF7 before or how dated the graphics and mechanics are at that time period, hell I know people who became RE fans who just played RE7/RE Village who never touched the older PS1-PS2 games but it was their gateway to the franchise) It's okay to cater to both casual/mainstream gamers who hasn't touched a Silent Hill in their lives and hardcore fans you know because to be quite frank...I rather want that than nothing at all, but with this series potentially coming back? I rather have Konami work with Bloober (not sure if Bloober is doing the SH2 alone without any supervision or if there is any team effort involved) and other companies who have been outsourced to bring Silent Hill into the fold than nothing at all, I'm grateful that this series is coming back.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Angie

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
You all make it intimidating to reply to this thread lol

My english is way too limited to reply to stuff like most you post.

Reminds me of Dusk Golem tweets just replying to the smallest thing.

(1/43)

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
This part of this post really rings out to me, people need to understand just like passionate people like Darkknight here thinking that the SH2 Remake is going to be dog poopie when we don't know what the final version looks like and not only that? We have NO idea how it plays but the point is, this SH2 Remake is not just for the hardcore fans, It's for the mainstream people who would want to get into the Silent Hill universe not just the hardcore fans (just like the HBO The Last of Us is a gateway for casual gamers who don't even know TLOU is to play the game or FF7 Remake actually attracted more gamers who never EVER touched the original due to how dated the graphics and mechanics are, hell I know people who became RE fans who just played RE7/RE8 Remake who never touched the original games but it was their gateway to the franchise) It's okay to cater to both casual/mainstream gamers who hasn't touched a Silent Hill in their lives and hardcore fans you know and I rather want that than nothing, but with this series potentially coming back? I rather have Konami work with Bloober (not sure if Bloober is doing the SH2 alone without any supervision) and other companies to bring Silent Hill into the fold than nothing at all.
"I will accept a game that, based on the developer's history, will most likely warp a classic to stigmatize the mentally ill and traumatized, because I want a new Silent Hill game that will be popular with mainstream audiences and make it popular again."

This is what you, and by extension all the people just saying "You don't know what it's gonna be" are asking for. You want silent hill back, you don't know anything about the dev, and want to be willingly ignorant and tell people to stop being buzzkills.

Ridiculous. Play The Medium to completion, or Layers of Feat, or just watch a playthrough of either, and then come back and say this is in good hands. Because a majority of the people opposing it know what they'll do and their history of plagerism and offensive depictions of mental health.

Ashes of Dreams

May 22, 2020
This part of this post really rings out to me, people need to understand just like passionate people like Darkknight here thinking that the SH2 Remake is going to be dog poopie when we don't know what the final version looks like and not only that? We have NO idea how it plays but the point is, this SH2 Remake is not just for the hardcore fans, It's for the mainstream people who would want to get into the Silent Hill universe not just the hardcore fans (just like the HBO The Last of Us is a gateway for casual gamers who don't even know TLOU is to play the game or FF7 Remake actually attracted more gamers who never EVER touched the original due to how dated the graphics and mechanics are, hell I know people who became RE fans who just played RE7/RE8 Remake who never touched the original games but it was their gateway to the franchise) It's okay to cater to both casual/mainstream gamers who hasn't touched a Silent Hill in their lives and hardcore fans you know and I rather want that than nothing, but with this series potentially coming back? I rather have Konami work with Bloober (not sure if Bloober is doing the SH2 alone without any supervision) and other companies to bring Silent Hill into the fold than nothing at all.
I truly believe that a balance IS possible. I think you can make a version of Silent Hill 2 that had been updated to modern standards for gameplay and presentation while also keeping the heart and soul of the original in tact. Something that will allow new players to jump in while also satisfying people who care about the original.

However, what I don't think is possible is for them to do that while also satisfying people who want every single thing the exact same as the original. If people aren't willing to entertain changes to things like camera controls or even the basic idea of adding new gameplay elements, then the project is doomed before it even starts. And tbf, I think people who feel this way know this. I think several people here would rather no remake be made at all. They quite literally cannot be pleased because ANY change or update will be seen as for the worse.

That being said, the "we haven't seen the game and don't know what it is yet" thing goes both ways. I'm not assuming that this game will be good any more than I'm assuming it will be bad. I'm just waiting to see what it ends up being and will judge it accordingly. If by the end of the game I don't feel it's an acceptable way to experience SH2 I will be just as loud about it as I was when the HD Collection came out a decade ago.

Sorry to hear that. For what it's worth I'm always interested in hearing what other people think, regardless of if I agree or not. But I'm also not the best at wording and communication to begin with.

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This part of this post really rings out to me, people need to understand just like passionate people like Darkknight here and I do love your points Darkknight but...thinking that the SH2 Remake is going to be dog poopie when we don't know what the final version looks like and not only that? We have NO idea how it plays/looks in motion or seen the atmopshere but the voice actors WILL change just like RE2 Remake's did which was for the better, the point is...this SH2 Remake is not just for the hardcore fans, It's for the mainstream people who would want to get into the Silent Hill universe (just like the HBO The Last of Us TV Show is a gateway for casual gamers who don't even know TLOU is to play the OG Game/PS5 Remake or FF7 Remake actually attracted more gamers who never EVER touched the original due to never hearing about FF7 before or how dated the graphics and mechanics are at that time period, hell I know people who became RE fans who just played RE7/RE Village who never touched the older PS1-PS2 games but it was their gateway to the franchise) It's okay to cater to both casual/mainstream gamers who hasn't touched a Silent Hill in their lives and hardcore fans you know because to be quite frank...I rather want that than nothing at all, but with this series potentially coming back? I rather have Konami work with Bloober (not sure if Bloober is doing the SH2 alone without any supervision or if there is any team effort involved) and other companies who have been outsourced to bring Silent Hill into the fold than nothing at all, I'm grateful that this series is coming back.
I dunno if taking something that exists for a specific vision and making it more broadly appealing has ever been a good sell for something you like for its artistic merits. Silent Hill 2 would not be better if James turned to camera and went "a guy with a pyramid on his head huh? Well that's interesting."

A Silent Hill 2 remake has an obligation to live up to the weight of its legacy because if it didn't then it shouldn't exist. Except we don't live in such a charmed universe because you can sell any remake you want and the fanbase who wants it will eat it up regardless because they've decided that the cool old game they like will now be objectively better, because the entire medium of gaming is just a disposable toybox.

Apr 5, 2022
"I will accept a game that, based on the developer's history, will most likely warp a classic to stigmatize the mentally ill and traumatized, because I want a new Silent Hill game that will be popular with mainstream audiences and make it popular again."

This is what you, and by extension all the people just saying "You don't know what it's gonna be" are asking for. You want silent hill back, you don't know anything about the dev, and want to be willingly ignorant and tell people to stop being buzzkills.

Ridiculous. Play The Medium to completion, or Layers of Feat, or just watch a playthrough of either, and then come back and say this is in good hands. Because a majority of the people opposing it know what they'll do and their history of plagerism and offensive depictions of mental health.

Again if you missed my point, do we KNOW if Bloober is doing this alone? Also wasn't there a report going around and not sure if it was true or not but Konami wanted the SH2 Remake to be "faithful to the original" but was that debunked? I know their (Bloober Team) history so it doesn't need to be brought up as it was many times in this thread because I'm well aware of how their game projects are but if they are working alone without any supervision then okay, sure. I'd be worried, but if they are being guided somehow to make sure things don't get fucked up then yeah, I'd be cautiously optimistic. Oh and I have mental health issues too so yeah, I know how things they do can trigger people mentally (it happens to myself) but yes, all I was saying is if they were working alone or not in this SH2 Remake, if they were then okay, I would be super worried as SH2 is one of my favorite games, but if not then I'd be cautious about it but still be willing to check it out, no harm in doing so.

Apr 5, 2022

Reminds me of Dusk Golem tweets just replying to the smallest thing.

(1/43)

xD Sorry Angie, I hope I don't make it hard to reply in this thread I just try to say my opinions but hoping it doesn't cause issues or drama as I hate conflicts lol I came here on ERA to enjoy talking stuff with people even if the opinions don't align <3 Thanks for being awesome as always though fwend!

OP
OP
Angie

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
xD Sorry Angie, I hope I don't make it hard to reply in this thread I just try to say my opinions but hoping it doesn't cause issues or drama as I hate conflicts lol I came here on ERA to enjoy talking stuff with people even if the opinions don't align <3 Thanks for being awesome as always though fwend!
I'm joking lol
I do enjoy reading the replies here. And everyone here is awesome and very passionate about SH.
I never felt intimidated to reply here, and everyone replying to me were always awesome.

I even discussed this with Darkknight2149 on reddit when they were banned for 3 days.

Darkknight2149

Banned
May 27, 2020
Whoa. This post was almost a month old and has been completely removed from it's original context. Come on now.
What I said immediately after that list which you removed for the quote was this:
"Like, trust me, I'm aware of the role Pyramid Head plays in the story. It's great. And the details about what his actions are actually contributing to is great. But from a gameplay perspective, you can Game Over to him. He actively attacks and chases down James. We can consider scenarios where you die to him "non-canon" for the sake of the deeper story but then there's nothing stopping us from doing the same thing if he's a stalker enemy for a segment either. The only actual difference is that it's not something that was done in SH2 before."

My point was that what Pyramid Head is doing in the story and what Pyramid Head is doing in the gameplay are two different things. Yes, Pyramid Head's target during his encounter in the hospital is Maria. But he will attack and kill James too. Yes, Pyramid Head is just walking in a big circle in the Labyrinth. But he will attack and come after James if you go in that section. You have two boss fights against him where he will kill you and you will get a Game Over. This is done to make him a threat, so players remain afraid of him. Having him being a stalker doesn't contradict his role in the story any more than the gameplay already does. That's my point. You can throw him as a stalker in the hospital when you're walking around with Maria and the justification would be the exact same as the original game.

You can dislike the idea all you want. You don't like stalkers in horror games. I get it. But don't act like it wouldn't fit in SH2 for some grand thematic reason because the game already compromises it's story for the sake of gameplay and horror. This would be nothing different. As I said, the only actual difference is that it wasn't done in the original.

Look, I totally respect your passion for this series (it's a passion I share, clearly) and I understand why you feel pessimistic about it's future given it's history. Hell, I said as much earlier in this thread while you were getting kinda dogpiled. But I feel like you're often a bit too condescending towards literally any other horror and the people that enjoy it. Like I get it, you don't think anything else is as good as SH2 and you're upset at the notion that it's going to be watered down for mass market appeal. But there's nothing wrong with people liking Resident Evil and liking Silent Hill more doesn't make anyone above the "mainstream gamers". 99% of people who like SH2 understand what sets it apart from RE.

To be fair, I mostly quoted your list for convenience because the comment took a long time to type. It wasn't directed at you or meant to take you out of context, although your input is obviously welcome.

One point I was trying to make, though, is that there is a distinct between what Pyramid Head does and actively trying to hunt James down. If Pyramid Head is chasing James, but James wants to live and is actively trying to get away, that's not even guilt and desire for punishment anymore. Pyramid Head is just a malicious force. The latter is what I'm saying is out-of-character, not Pyramid Head trying to harm James in general.

"Anyways, a lot of mainstream gamers should be happy. They're finally getting the conventional blockbuster Resident Evil clone they always wished Silent Hill 2 was."

This last sentence was my frustration with the leak slipping out a little bit, when it shouldn't have. That's my fault, so I'll take the bullets for that.

The issue is, I don't believe a Resident Evil 2-style remake of Silent Hill 2 is even possible to get right, from a conceptual standpoint. The original game is an arthouse psychological horror film in video game form (with subtle symbolism, subtext, avante-garde storytelling, nuance, pitch perfect atmosphere and creature design, and adult themes). Most of the game, which was the fine-tuned vision of a specific group of artists, was done for a specific reason. Even the developers themselves have made a similar point:

It's not a mainstream blockbuster like Resident Evil and "one size fits all" doesn't work when it comes to media. "Think of the mainstream audiences" doesn't really apply to Silent Hill 2, because this is like if someone tried to remake a David Lynch film without David Lynch to make it more accessible to mainstream viewers. This isn't comparable to Resident Evil remakes, although The Last of Us is the type of remake Silent Hill 2 should be getting.

On top of that, this is Bloober Team we're talking about. All of their weaknesses align with Silent Hill's strengths and The Medium was already an off-brand attempt at a Silent Hill game. We're talking about the most impossible remake being made by the most inept big name horror developer. Dusk Golem seems to believe that members of the original team are advising Bloober, which would help but I would still highly skeptical. Even if this developer did a shot-for-shot remake of the original (which is theoretically possible to nail), I suspect it would be the Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes of Silent Hill.

This comment also summarises my thoughts:

Exactly, the first step in their big "Silent Hill is back" campaign should have been an HD collection with the first four games included. Just get them running on everything from Switch to PC in HD and 16:9, get Bluepoint or another studio experienced with reverse-engineering retail discs to work on it and circumvent having to use unfinished builds like Hijinx did and boom, instant adoration and heaps of cash.

Instead, they're hoping a Bloober developed remake of one of the most beloved and cherished games ever made is the answer.

Yup, Konami. They never fail to fail.

Ashes of Dreams

May 22, 2020
To be fair, I mostly quoted your list for convenience because the comment took a long time to type. It wasn't directed at you or meant to take you out of context, although your input is obviously welcome.

One point I was trying to make, though, is that there is a distinct between what Pyramid Head does and actively trying to hunt James down. If Pyramid Head is chasing James, but James wants to live and is actively trying to get away, that's not even guilt and desire for punishment anymore. Pyramid Head is just a malicious force. The latter is what I'm saying is out-of-character, not Pyramid Head trying to harm James in general.

"Anyways, a lot of mainstream gamers should be happy. They're finally getting the conventional blockbuster Resident Evil clone they always wished Silent Hill 2 was."

This last sentence was my frustration with the leak slipping out a little bit, when it shouldn't have. That's my fault, so I'll take the bullets for that.
It's all good. Was just strange since you didn't respond to that post at the time and then it felt like it was being quoted out of context a month later. No harm done though. I agree that in the story of SH2 that Pyramid Head is not trying to harm James and this is a detail that should be kept in mind when crafting any kind of remake. I just don't think that rules out a stalker segment or making him more of a direct threat in terms of gameplay. It just reads to me like people giving a potential remake shit for something the original also did, you know?

But hell, I'd also be interested in seeing them try to go the other way with it and pair up the gameplay with the story more. Do you think it's possible for them to keep Pyramid Head scary and not give away the twist to the player while also making it so he can't actually kill James? The hallway chase in the hospital can be made into more of a cinematic chase sequence and scripted so the player can't get behind Maria like they can in the original. But things like the boss fights and him patrolling the labyrinth would have to be changed.

Darkknight2149

Banned
May 27, 2020
It's all good. Was just strange since you didn't respond to that post at the time and then it felt like it was being quoted out of context a month later. No harm done though. I agree that in the story of SH2 that Pyramid Head is not trying to harm James and this is a detail that should be kept in mind when crafting any kind of remake. I just don't think that rules out a stalker segment or making him more of a direct threat in terms of gameplay. It just reads to me like people giving a potential remake shit for something the original also did, you know?

But hell, I'd also be interested in seeing them try to go the other way with it and pair up the gameplay with the story more. Do you think it's possible for them to keep Pyramid Head scary and not give away the twist to the player while also making it so he can't actually kill James? The hallway chase in the hospital can be made into more of a cinematic chase sequence and scripted so the player can't get behind Maria like they can in the original. But things like the boss fights and him patrolling the labyrinth would have to be changed.
If the developers are determined on adding extended chase sequences/real time patrols, I think the Otherworld Hospital (when you reunite with Maria) makes the most sense. Maria would be with you, Pyramid Head wouldn't be slowed down by carrying a knife, and the rules of reality are more distorted in the Otherworld than the Fog World.

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
For Pyramid Head, I still propose the idea that his hostility could change depending on the players actions in the game. If the player spends a lot of time with Maria and is on track for the Maria ending, Pyramid Head becomes more aggressive, shows up more often and starts actively hunting James in the environments. But if you are fulfilling the requirements for the Leave ending, he appears less often and is more docile.

Ashes of Dreams

May 22, 2020
For Pyramid Head, I still propose the idea that his hostility could change depending on the players actions in the game. If the player spends a lot of time with Maria and is on track for the Maria ending, Pyramid Head becomes more aggressive, shows up more often and starts actively hunting James in the environments. But if you are fulfilling the requirements for the Leave ending, he appears less often and is more docile.
Oooh, that'd be cool.