• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
after just spending a few hours with my kids building a vex robotic arm, they decided to take a break and are now playing on the switch. I can already tell my kids will love some labo kits, its right up there alley

Jan 10, 2018
It shows a gratifying amount of self-reflection on Nintendo's part to release a product that requires more interaction on the part of its users. Labo is driven by player creativity, and seems in line with what Nintendo has done through their core games lately—see Zelda and Mario. Player expression is key to all these experiences.

Yerba, what you're describing sounds sort of like Eye of Judgment on PS3.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/the-eye-of-judgment-ps3/

I think it goes even a bit further. Remember that pre-E3 Nintendo Direct were the late Iwata(may he rest in peace) formulated they wanted to adress the together alone problem? Also known as

how_i_met_your_mother_smartphones1.jpg

While Wii U did nothing to adress that Switch does, first with 1,2 Switch and now with Labo.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Ex-Mega Bloks employee here—that's not what happened. It's just that "Mega Bloks" is reserved for the big blocks that are for really young kids now.
Oh interesting! Well that explains why I never see the logo anymore at the store.

Also, and I'm not just walking this back because you worked for Mega Bloks, but I was wrong about the quality of them. I actually have some old MB sets that are like WWII style tanks and jeeps and they've held up for years and multiple moves. It was Kre-O I was thinking of that's garbage quality - I have a Transformers Grimlock from them that was a pain in the ass to build because there's no grip in the bricks (they feel cheap and slimy) so he kept sliding apart while I was trying to put him together. T:<

Wat

Dec 10, 2017
You know what would be real courage and real DIY culture? Make the Switch API public and sell devkits on an open webshop for slightly over regular unit's cost. I'd buy one today for my students.

potam

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm hoping there will be insane game-specific controllers resulting from this. Not necessarily cardboard stuff. Imagine if Steel Battalion didn't cost $5billion.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Reading about this for the first time. Wow this is "as Nintendo as it gets". I'm obviously not the target audience, it's not for me. But man, coming up with this and actually release it is typical Nintendo.

Will be interesting to see how long those products last when kids use them.

discogs

Oct 28, 2017
London
I really like this but I'm not 100% sure it's going to be a huge hit. It's the kind of thing I love about Nintendo but I just don't know. Well done on Nintendo for making something a little bit more ecological too. They're the one company I let off the hook (because I'm they're my 'football team' so to speak) with regard to plastic waste.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I really have no idea what someone's issues would have to include to be sniping at this. Like, what is the matter with people? It's fun, it's informative. If it helps inspire a child to become interested in engineering or technology, then that's great. If it's just good for some fun for a week or so, that's fine too.

I'm really curious what the negative is.
To be honest, I think most of the anger found in this thread isn't quite directed at the product but, as it's often the case, those damn Nintendo fans. "How can they find that exciting", "They'd buy anything Nintendo shits out", that kind of thing.

It's not that different from the weird hate Arms got when it was releasing. Obviously the game wasn't worth any hate, but some people didn't like the fact that it generated excitement. It's weird, but once in a while a thread make the people who really dislike Nintendo fans come out of the woodwork. There's plenty in Era.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
As an anecdote, Amazon Spain has the variety pack as the first seller in videogames, with the robot kit in the third place (and dark souls remastered for switch between those two).

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
See, I actually think the fact that Labo is made out of cardboard is what makes it so cool. Regardless of how it actually works, a plastic piano doesn't feel special—there are tons of miniature plastic keyboards you can buy, just go to ToysRUs. But hitting a CARDBOARD key and having it produce sound? That feels magical.

Pandy

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Sitting at work, and I've just realised that it'll probably be possible to put a pattern of those IR reflective marks on a roll of paper (or for long patterns put a band of IR reflective stuff up and cover it with a roll of paper with a pattern of holes in it), and turn the piano software into an old-timey playing piano!

Nick Nehidnyk

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sitting at work, and I've just realised that it'll probably be possible to put a pattern of those IR reflective marks on a roll of paper (or for long patterns put a band of IR reflective stuff up and cover it with a roll of paper with a pattern of holes in it), and turn the piano software into an old-timey playing piano!
Paper MIDI sequencing is the future of video gaming.

SothisKrieg

Oct 25, 2017
As an anecdote, Amazon Spain has the variety pack as the first seller in videogames, with the robot kit in the third place (and dark souls remastered for switch between those two).

Amazon France also has the variety pack as top seller. I think the final price will be 60€, i see some stores in France opening preorder at 59.99€ for the variety pack.

Enrico25

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2018
There is one thing wrong with the marketing. Some people think you can play Labo just with the Toy-con set and they dont know it requires a Switch.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
Not to speculate, but what are the chances we get a Labo Direct in April, shortly before launch? I am sure Nintendo wants to get more details out about how the kits work and would be a refresher for the public eye around that time. Plus it would be an opportunity to roll out a cardboard replacement plan, whatever that may be.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There is one thing wrong with the marketing. Some people think you can play Labo just with the Toy-con set and they dont know it requires a Switch.

After they assemble the cardboard piano at the beginning the Switch is put front-and-centre before being placed into the respective spots in the piano. I think the video made it quite clear.

And I'd imagine it would be mentioned on the box what it is (cardboard cutouts + software) with the Switch logo.

I don't think that'll be an issue.

SausagePiano

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Compared to all other STEM or edutaintment tools, it does not feel that they are overprice at all.

Also, read the first post lol. It is not only carboard. It is game software+carboard.

Nintendo would still have made millions in profit even if it was $30. The greed is real on this one.

Caldorosso

Jan 15, 2018
According to an AMA on r/nintendo, the cardboard has a smooth finish to it. So it's probably a little pricier than regular cardboard.

I'm still going to try and make the RC Bug when I have time

Gazdavis11

Oct 29, 2017
Kids and cardboard go together like peanut butter and jelly, so probably not much, maybe just a bit of a mess but overall a fun time.

I'm guessing you don't have kids? We don't have one puzzle box or board game box intact thanks to them either standing on them, sitting on them or hitting each other with them . The point being cardboard doesn't survive in the presence of kids

commish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What a bizarre thing for Nintendo to make. Why is it so much money?!