• iOS/Safari issues when launching the site from mobile home screens should now be fixed! A2HS button compatibility on Android Firefox has also been fixed! Add some purple to your home screen today.

Fitness |OT| A New Era Begins

Oct 25, 2017
All this talk of programs and food, figured I'd post what I've been doing. I don't want to post specifics because it is something you buy (it's a cheap book, not personal trainer-style).

This week I did the following workout Saturday, Monday, and Wednesday:
Deadlift 405 3x5
Squat 355 4x5
OH Press 185 5x5 (standing, strict form)
DL and Squat both completely raw, no belt or wraps

Did the following conditioning work:
Saturday: hit the heavy bag for high-intensity sessions right after lifting
Sunday: a half-hour burpee workout in the morning, burpee-and-sprints workout in the afternoon
Tuesday: 45 minute jog
Thursday: repeat of the burpee workout from Sunday

Next week, the weights go up and the conditioning stays the same. Today is supposed to be a day off, but I'm actually working the sideline of a soccer game so there will be a little running. Nothing like an actual workout, though.

Food-wise, I've been eating about 3000-3500 cals a day. Haven't had any soda at all or any sweets to speak of since July. I will do one cheat meal a week, usually pizza or fried chicken. I've been thinking I should go to every other week, though.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018
Bro splits can work. Any workout will work out as a noob. I'm sure Candito's program will be a lot more efficient. I try to hit everything at least twice a week. Usually, I do all muscle groups 3 times a week.

^Burpees and no sweets, oh my! I couldn't do it. Sweets every day or bust haha!

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
After only 3 months I totally lost any interest for sweets. Doesn't help that I accumulated lots of them during Christmas (given out by some relatives) and they are sitting here like "Eat me!", and I don't even want to. No clue what to do with them.

Oct 27, 2017
I plateaued for a year then switched to Johnny Candito's intermediate program and have been making consistent 5-10lb gains on my squat and deadlift every 5-6 weeks, my OHP went from 145 to 165 in a year (Despite weighing the same). Bench admittedly hasn't moved much but that was my strongest lift.

It's a 5-6 week program and it incorporates both high volume/high reps and low volume/heavy sets, doubling down on the main lift with the option to some accessory work. So you won't be going months without lifting heavy.
I’ll check this out, thanks. I just remembered my friend once recommended PHAT too. I think I definitely need to find a program at this point. I’ll finish what I’m doing this month and then look into it. My only problem is that I simply cannot deadlift and squat because of a back injury. Even light weights eventually hurt. The movement itself hurts me. It sucks. Leg day has been boring as hell ever since.

Oct 27, 2017
So this is what I think I’m gonna do starting next week or the week after. I made some modifications based on shit that would be basically impossible at the gym or too much for my back. Not sure about weight. I guess I’ll have to play around with that.

Day 1: Upper Body Power Day

◦ Pulling Power Movement: Bent over or Pendlay rows

◦ 3 sets of 3-5 reps

◦ Assistance Pulling movement: Weighted Pull ups

◦ 2 sets of 6-10 reps

◦ Auxiliary Pulling movement: Lat pulldown

◦ 2 sets of 6-10 reps

◦ Pressing Power Movement: Flat barbell presses

◦ 3 sets of 3-5 reps

◦ Assistance pressing movement: Weighted dips

◦ 2 sets of 6-10 reps

◦ Assistance pressing movement: Seated dumbbell shoulder presses

◦ 3 sets of 6-10 reps

◦ Auxiliary curling movement: Cambered bar curls

◦ 3 sets of 6-10 reps

◦ Auxiliary extension movement: Skull crushers

◦ 3 sets of 6-10 reps

Day 2: Lower Body Power Day

◦ Pressing Power Movement: Lunges

◦ 3 sets of 3-5 reps

◦ Assistance pressing movement: Hack Squats

◦ 2 sets of 6-10 reps

◦ Assistance extension movement: Leg extensions

◦ 2 sets of 6-10 reps

◦ Assistance pulling movement: Rack pulls

◦ 3 sets of 5-8 reps

◦ Assistance pulling/curling movement: Glute ham raises or lying leg curls

◦ 2 sets of 6-10 reps

◦ Auxiliary calf movement: Standing calf raise

◦ 3 sets of 6-10 reps

◦ Auxiliary calf movement: Seated calf raise

◦ 2 sets of 6-10 reps

Day 3: Rest

Day 4: Back and Shoulders Hypertrophy Day

◦ Pulling Power Exercise speed work: Bent over or Pendlay rows

◦ 6 sets of 3 reps with 65-70% of normal 3-5 rep max

◦ Hypertrophy pulling movement: Wide grip lat pulldowns

◦ 3 sets of 8-12 reps

◦ Hypertrophy pulling movement: Seated cable row

◦ 3 sets of 8-12 reps

◦ Hypertrophy pulling movement: Dumbbell shrugs bracing upper body against an incline bench

◦ 2 sets of 12-15 reps

◦ Hypertrophy pulling movement: Close grip pulldowns

◦ 2 sets of 15-20 reps

◦ Hypertrophy shoulder movement: Seated dumbbell shoulder presses

◦ 3 sets of 8-12 reps

◦ Hypertrophy shoulder movement: Face pulls

◦ 2 sets of 12-15 reps

◦ Hypertrophy shoulder movement: Side lateral raises with dumbbells

◦ 3 sets of 12-20 reps

Day 5: Lower Body Hypertrophy Day

◦ Lower Body Power Exercise speed work: Lunges

◦ Hypertrophy pressing movement: Hack squats

◦ 3 sets of 8-12 reps

◦ Hypertrophy pressing movement: Leg presses

◦ 2 sets of 12-15 reps

◦ Hypertrophy extension movement: Leg extensions

◦ 3 sets of 15-20 reps

◦ Hypertrophy pulling movement: Rack pulls

◦ 3 sets of 8-12 reps

◦ Hypertrophy curling movement: Lying leg curls

◦ 2 sets of 12-15 reps

◦ Hypertrophy curling movement: Seated leg curls

◦ 2 sets of 15-20 reps

◦ Hypertrophy calf movement: Standing calf raises

◦ 4 sets of 10-15 reps

◦ Hypertrophy calf movement: Seated calf raises

◦ 3 sets of 15-20 reps

Day 6: Chest and Arms Hypertrophy Day

◦ Pressing Power Exercise speed work: Flat barbell presses

◦ Hypertrophy pressing movement: Incline barbell presses

◦ 3 sets of 8-12 reps

◦ Hypertrophy pressing movement: Hammer strength chest press

◦ 3 sets of 12-15 reps

◦ Hypertrophy fly movement: Incline dumbbell flyes

◦ 2 sets of 15-20 reps

◦ Hypertrophy curling exercise: Cambered bar preacher curls

◦ 3 sets of 8-12 reps

◦ Hypertrophy curling exercise: Dumbbell concentration curls

◦ 2 sets of 12-15 reps

◦ Hypertrophy curling exercise: Spider curls bracing upper body against an incline bench

◦ 2 sets of 15-20 reps

◦ Hypertrophy extension exercise: Seated tricep extension with cambered bar

◦ 3 sets of 8-12 reps

◦ Hypertrophy extension exercise: Cable pressdowns with rope attachment

◦ 2 sets of 12-15 reps

◦ Hypertrophy extension exercise: Cable kickbacks

◦ 2 sets of 15-20 reps

Day 7: Rest

Nov 28, 2018
6.30am Mon-Fri then 8am on Sunday. After work in the week is hell with too many people, rude people and people that don't know what they're doing. There's quite a nice regular crowd in the mornings now. The time of the year obviously doesn't help but yeah evenings in the week and around lunchtime at weekends aren't worth going really.

If I still have energy after work I'd rather go for a run outside.

Nov 15, 2017
I failed my PR squat! It felt incredibly heavy the second I unracked it. I hit 95% of that weight for 3 reps the week before so I think I just wasn't there mentally/got psyched out when I unracked it etc. Basically, I have lots of excuses. I'll try again before I deload though.

It is funny how I really can't tell how a specific session is going to go. Sometimes I'll walk in there feeling weak and tired and do great, other times I'll feel ready to go and have no power. Oh well.

Mar 21, 2018
Has anyone tried citrulline malate? I just ordered some and will be taking it for the first time in my 18 year lifting career. Wonder if I'll notice anything, I currently only take creatine.

Btw, yesterday I tried leg presses a little differently, I placed my hands behind my head to open up the rib cage as suggested in a youtube video I viewed yesterday, it seemed to allow me to go deeper without my legs digging into my body. My legs are super sore now.

Nov 28, 2018
or when you sit next to the equipment waiting to use it but some dude walks up and takes it.

also once Daylight saving time roll around again im okay with going a bit later. i just don't like driving at night. mainly because it sometimes rain and well... lol
going to add a third and mention when you just get on a machine and someone taps you and ask how long you're going to be or if you're almost finished it's just "mate, you have to have watched me just get on this machine"

Oct 25, 2017
I failed my PR squat! It felt incredibly heavy the second I unracked it. I hit 95% of that weight for 3 reps the week before so I think I just wasn't there mentally/got psyched out when I unracked it etc. Basically, I have lots of excuses. I'll try again before I deload though.

It is funny how I really can't tell how a specific session is going to go. Sometimes I'll walk in there feeling weak and tired and do great, other times I'll feel ready to go and have no power. Oh well.
One thing I like to do for squatting heavy is to do a walk-out set. You do your warm-ups and then put maybe an extra 45 on each side above the heaviest set you'll do that day. But you just unrack it and hold it for a bit (I do 15 seconds) and rack it again. It helps me a lot if that first real/heavy set feels light when I first step back with it. I find that doing this helps get my upper back warmed up, too.

Apologies if you're already doing this. Just a thought.

Nov 15, 2017
One thing I like to do for squatting heavy is to do a walk-out set. You do your warm-ups and then put maybe an extra 45 on each side above the heaviest set you'll do that day. But you just unrack it and hold it for a bit (I do 15 seconds) and rack it again. It helps me a lot if that first real/heavy set feels light when I first step back with it. I find that doing this helps get my upper back warmed up, too.

Apologies if you're already doing this. Just a thought.
That's really not a bad idea, especially considering how easy my down sets after the heaviest set feel. Just telling your body "Hey, it could be worse..."

Back onto the weights after recovering from a cold. It felt good, but I’m a little more sore afterwards than I expected.

Today was the first day I tried substituting the deadlift with hip thrusts and Bulgarian split squats. Still playing with the height of the back leg on the split squat, but it really works the legs.