• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I just hope people don't look at this survey and start shitting on millions of Brits because the statistics imply they may share a similar view.
If anything, it's bound to do the opposite. Given the mess that is UK politics and the sentiments surrounding Brexit, I'd say, to quote one Nigel Farage:

iP42wHz.gif

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It finds that only a small proportion of British adults can be categorised as 'hard-core' antisemites – approximately 2% – yet antisemitic ideas can be found at varying degrees of intensity across 30% of British society. Whilst this categorically does not mean that 30% of the British population is antisemitic, it does demonstrate the outer boundary of the extent to which antisemitic ideas live and breathe in British society. As such, it goes some way towards explaining why British Jews appear to be so concerned about antisemitism, as the likelihood of them encountering an antisemitic idea is much higher than that suggested by simple measures of antisemitic individuals. In this way, the research draws an important distinction between 'counting antisemites' and 'measuring antisemitism' – the counts for each are very different from one another, and have important implications for how one tackles antisemitism going forward.

Looking at subgroups within the population, the report finds that levels of antisemitism and anti-Israelism among Christians are no different from those found across society as a whole, but among Muslims they are considerably higher on both counts. On the political spectrum, levels of antisemitism are found to be highest among the far-right, and levels of anti-Israelism are heightened across all parts of the left-wing, but particularly on the far-left. In all cases, the higher the level of anti-Israelism, the more likely it is to be accompanied by antisemitism. Yet, importantly, most of the antisemitism found in British society exists outside of these three groups – the far-left, far-right and Muslims; even at its most heightened levels of intensity, only about 15% of it can be accounted for by them.

https://www.jewishvoiceforlabour.or...m-in-contemporary-great-britain-a-new-report/

This report is based on the largest and most detailed survey of attitudes towards Jews and Israel ever conducted in Great Britain. It harnesses a dataset containing 5,466 observations to produce insights of direct relevance for Jewish communal discourse and national political debates on antisemitism. The analysis that underpins it is unprecedented in its depth and the amount of detail it provides about the multiple ways in which uneasiness, negativity and hatred towards Jews express themselves.

The existence of strong, sophisticated, perhaps internally coherent and at times even 'learned' antisemitism, where open dislike of Jews is combined with developed negative ideas about Jews, does not exceed 2.4% of British adults, irrespective of the method of measurement used in this analysis. These are people who express multiple antisemitic attitudes readily and confidently. An additional 3% of the population of Great Britain can be termed 'softer' antisemites, expressing fewer, but nonetheless multiple antisemitic attitudes, often couched in less certain terms. This relatively small group of about 5% of the general population can justifiably be described as antisemites: people who hold a wide range of negative attitudes towards Jews. However, because antisemitic ideas circulate in society well beyond this group, there is a much larger number of people who believe a small number of negative ideas about Jews, but who may not be consciously hostile or prejudiced towards them. In total, about 15% of British adults hold two or more of the antisemitic attitudes tested here to some degree at least, and a further 15% of British adults either strongly agree with, or tend to agree with just one antisemitic attitude. Adding these figures together brings the total prevalence of antisemitic attitudes, at different intensities, to 30% of the adult British population.

While 30% of British society hold at least one antisemitic attitude, to varying degrees, this emphatically does not mean that 30% of the population of Great Britain is antisemitic. A majority of people who agreed with just one negative statement about Jews in this survey also agreed with one or more positive statements about Jews, suggesting that the existence of one antisemitic or stereotypical belief in a person's thinking need not indicate a broader, deeper prejudice towards Jews. Rather, the 30% figure captures the current level of the diffusion of antisemitic ideas in British society, and offers an indication of the likelihood of British Jews encountering such ideas. Whilst most people included in this 30% are in no way committed political antisemites, they still have an important bearing on how Jews perceive antisemitism, albeit in a very specific way. Most Jews do not come into regular contact with strongly antisemitic individuals. Such people are few in number to start with – the small scope of strong antisemitism in itself limits how frequently these views are encountered. However, what Jews are exposed to far more frequently are people who are not strongly antisemitic, yet who hold, and from time to time may vocalise, views that may make them feel uncomfortable or offended.

Other religions/far-left/far-right

Levels of antisemitism and anti-Israel attitudes among Christians, of whatever denomination and at whatever level of religiosity or practice, are largely in line with levels found in the population of Great Britain in general – neither higher nor lower. The Christian theological idea that Jews are cursed in some way because they do not believe in Christ is still in circulation among a small minority of Christians, but its current role in feeding antisemitic feelings and thoughts is unclear and probably minimal.Levels of both antisemitism and anti-Israelism are consistently higher among the Muslim population of Great Britain than among the population in general. The presence of antisemitic and anti-Israel attitudes is 2 to 4 times higher among Muslims compared to the general population. Non-religious Muslims are the least likely group among all Muslims to hold antisemitic or anti-Israel attitudes, and come closest to the levels found in the general population, although they still remain above average. Yet most Muslims (60%) – religious or not – agree with the statement 'A British Jew is just as British as any other person,' and most either disagree with, or are neutral on, every one of the antisemitic statements presented to them.Levels of antisemitism among those on the left-wing of the political spectrum, including the far-left, are indistinguishable from those found in the general population. Yet, all parts of those on the left of the political spectrum – including the 'slightly left-of-centre,' the 'fairly left-wing' and the 'very left-wing' – exhibit higher levels of anti-Israelism than average. The most antisemitic group on the political spectrum consists of those who identify as very right-wing: the presence of antisemitic attitudes in this group is 2 to 4 times higher compared to the general population. Although the prevalence of antisemitism on the far-right is considerably higher than on the left and in the political centre, the far-right remains marginal in British politics in general, as well as on the broader political right.

Report here - https://www.jpr.org.uk/documents/JPR.2017.Antisemitism_in_contemporary_Great_Britain.pdf

5,466 sample size. Statement of 2.4% hardcore antisemite, 3% "softer" antisemite. Falls in line with the 5% figure here, given it's room for margin.

This relatively small group of about 5% of the general population can justifiably be described as antisemites: people who hold a wide range of negative attitudes towards Jews

Imagine how shocked I am another poll, with even more people, comes in at around 5% when weighted towards severe antisemitism.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
Percentage of Winny's banned: 100%. Sample size 1 (out of 1) . Accuracy 100%.

It's what Winny would have wanted.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
100% of the people polled said that Winny got banned. Sample size was only 1 but I think the result stands firm.

Damn you beat me lol

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How is that even possible.

Is it more, they do know but don't care because they are hateful pieces of shit?

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I guess pirate fantasy has tricked her into thinking that's pirates and she struggles to believe they existed. She has no knowledge prior to 1940 because she is the average human "sheep" who wants to watch xfactor. fish and chips on a friday and is more concerned about her neighbours daughters promiscuity than any real news or history or education.

As for blimps man your guess is as good as mine. I showed her footage of the Hindenburg and she is convinced it was CGI. The world is full of the dumb.

She doesn't believe you can use a boat to rob another boat?!

She doesn't believe in the whole Golden Age of Piracy she is convinced it's fiction

Deleted member 50454

Banned
Dec 5, 2018
Let's face it, at least 50% of the population probably think the British Empire was great when it was far worse than anything Hitler managed to accomplish.

The UK is full of scum.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
No shortage of garbage people these days.
I think that the percentage of idiots is probably little different to what it was 100 years ago. We're just all interconnected so much that we can see just how many crappy people there really are. Before that we were blissfully ignorant.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I think that the percentage of idiots is probably little different to what it was 100 years ago. We're just all interconnected so much that we can see just how many crappy people there really are. Before that we were blissfully ignorant.
It doesn't help that the internet seems to be run by loud stupid assholes and the worst sort of people.

That definitely impacts how you see people and I wonder how many people adopt the sorts of horrible behaviors that generally get you a lot of attention online .

ProfessorLobo

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's painting three and a half million faceless Brits with an opinion that you cannot actually say they definitively have. Can you point out the millions of Holocaust deniers in my country? If we extrapolate that survey's data, nearly four thousand people in my town alone don't believe the Holocaust happened. Want to point out who?

It's insulting and inaccurate yet people are parading it around as if there's actually three and a half million British people no different to me who believe the Holocaust never happened.

What's next, a hundred people out of two thousand say they don't believe the moon exists and so we just assume nearly four hundred million people across the planet share their opinion?
What is this? Haha

Our first Holocaust denier denier.

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Holocaust deniers, Flat Earthers, Anti-vaxxers, Trump supporters... Basically unchanged from the dumb illiterate masses of the dark ages

Maybe there have always been incredibly stupid people. Maybe they just stand out more now that most of us are smarter and we have the internet to communicate so quickly

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Before people dunk on the UK a recent poll conducted in the US revealed that 44% of respondents didn't know what Auschwitz was. I think 5% is a low number, taking into account mental health issues and just plain lack of education on the subject.

phisheep

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
Oct 26, 2017
I really don't find these survey results particularly disheartening, and Winny might well have a point - though it isn't the point she thinks it is about statistics or sample sizing. It is tied in with the Lizardman Constant: that whatever whacko nutjob question you stick in a poll it'll get about 4-5% support just because of noise.

For example, about 7% of Americans believe that chocolate milk comes from brown cows. Really?

Because of this, that 5% represents an upper bound of holocaust deniers, but not reliably a lower bound - quoting from that Scott Alexander post I linked above:

The lesson from all three of the cases in this post seems clear. When we're talking about very unpopular beliefs, polls can only give a weak signal. Any possible source of noise – jokesters, cognitive biases, or deliberate misbehavior – can easily overwhelm the signal. Therefore, polls that rely on detecting very weak signals should be taken with a grain of salt.

The numbers bit is even less scary. Most people just aren't good with big numbers. A million is unimaginably big, two million is even more unimaginably big, and it doesn't really reflect anything that people either can't remember or can't independently calibrate. It would be interesting if there were a control question about, say, estimating the population of Scotland or something.

Oct 27, 2017
All this survey proves is that, out of two thousand people, one hundred of them don't believe the Holocaust happened. It's when you make the claim that, on the basis of those one hundred people, almost three and a half million British people must also refuse to believe the Holocaust happened that you lose me.

The only thing that's being proven with each of your posts is that you know absolutely nothing about statistics.

On the topic at hand, I'm actually a little surprised a full 95% do believe it happened, such are the times we live in.

Oct 27, 2017
Edit - I don't really know enough about the subject to comment, but I tried to look at the source the BBC cites and it doesn't have specific detail.

Last edited:

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The holocaust deniers are just fucking insane, how the hell do you deny something so well documented is beyond me.

People getting the numbers wrong i have less of a problem with, it's not something you think off every day and the gravity of the situation ultimately slips a little even if you don't intend to. I actually just did the same test on myself and overestimated the count, but within a reasonable amount.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
An important aspect to this is that these people are not oblibious to the truth. They went to school, they likely saw Holocaust-themed movies or documentaries. They know what is the timeline of events.

These kind of people intentionally choose to believe in mindless conspiracy theories like the non-existence of Holocaust, chemtrails or whatever the fuck. That's the scary part: this percentage of people can see the stats and facts but are unable to process them because they contradict their horrible views.

Scary stuff.
See: the DC council guy walking out of the Holocaust museum. https://www.resetera.com/threads/d-...sits-holocaust-museum-but-leaves-early.37397/

HotTakeCakes

Alt account
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
Reading
I was talking about this the other day. When I was in school, 30 years ago, history was nothing but the Normans, Romans and Vikings. No WWI, no WW2 or history in other specific countries.

History lessons were absolute garbage but on the plus side, my 8 yo daughter is learning about significant times in our history such as MLK, Rosa Parks and Tudor times in the UK, which is already more than what I got.