• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Should I completely skip "offline mode" if I intend to play with online mode all the time?
There should be no need for it if you have a decent internet connection. The higher fidelity world will get streamed in as you play. It's a nice thing to have for people with metered connections (you can also set daily/monthly data caps in the settings in this case, so if you hit said cap it should fall back to offline mode).

Info on the two install modes

OscarK

Developer at Xbox
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Flight Simulator supports the optional chunks feature which allows you to install/uninstall parts of the game. The metadata describing these chunks didn't propagate simultaneously with the pre-load, so the initial displayed chunk was "everything" at ~97GB; this has now been fixed and the optional chunk is showing correctly. You can manage the installation in the Manage section of the UX accessible either by selecting "Manage" instead of "Install" or through the context menu once installed.

In Flight Simulator's case, the optional chunk is a ~59GB offline world chunk that is only required for offline play. Whilst online, this data is not used and the game instead streams in additional data that is cached locally (also visible and manageable in the Manage UX under "Saved Data").
A lot of people put in a lot of work to get all these features working and it's nice to see them being utilized by a showcase experience.

Perhaps we can have the thread title fixed to reflect the base game size more accurately?

Mattmo831

Featuring Mattmo831 from the Apple v Epic case
Oct 26, 2020
Flight Simulator supports the optional chunks feature which allows you to install/uninstall parts of the game. The metadata describing these chunks didn't propagate simultaneously with the pre-load, so the initial displayed chunk was "everything" at ~97GB; this has now been fixed and the optional chunk is showing correctly. You can manage the installation in the Manage section of the UX accessible either by selecting "Manage" instead of "Install" or through the context menu once installed.

In Flight Simulator's case, the optional chunk is a ~59GB offline world chunk that is only required for offline play. Whilst online, this data is not used and the game instead streams in additional data that is cached locally (also visible and manageable in the Manage UX under "Saved Data").
A lot of people put in a lot of work to get all these features working and it's nice to see them being utilized by a showcase experience.

Perhaps we can have the thread title fixed to reflect the base game size more accurately?

Wait… I'm I reading this right. This game will only be about 46gb if you're playing online and don't need the offline chunk?

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020

Nice. Thank you Oscar, and keep being awesome as always.

OscarK

Developer at Xbox
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Wait… I'm I reading this right. This game will only be about 46gb if you're playing online and don't need the offline chunk?

Yes if you are not going to be playing online, then the ~59GB optional offline chunk is not required and the base game is ~42GB.
However of course, during online gameplay, high-resolution data is streamed from the internet and cached locally, so the size on disk will grow to reflect that (I believe the game manages the cache to ensure it doesn't grow too much, and the user can also delete it from the Manage UX under "Saved Data").

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Yes if you are not going to be playing online, then the ~59GB optional offline chunk is not required and the game game is ~42GB.
However of course, during online gameplay, high-resolution data is streamed from the internet and cached locally, so the size on disk will grow to reflect that (I believe the game manages the cache to ensure it doesn't grow too much, and the user can also delete it from the Manage UX under "Saved Data").
I see it saves 16gb atm? If i look at save data under manage game?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

Thanks. Updated that title.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Mhhhh, even if it comes from Oscar, I'm not trusting this 100% that this extra data won't help or get used in any way to relax the data stream.
Cause why would you program it that way? If you can give the game 50gb on extra data for a potential offline situation, why wouldn't the game use this even if you're online when the data is already there? 😅 Like a separate extra cache?

My Xbox is always online with 50mb download a second, but I'm really torn if I should remove this. 🤔

OscarK

Developer at Xbox
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I see it saves 16gb atm? If i look at save data under manage game?

Yes, that is the base size cache that the game requests, but this can grow as needed.

Thanks. Updated that title.

Thank you very much. Totally understand that the initial confusion arose because the metadata describing the chunks did not propagate alongside the pre-load initially, but glad that that and the title are now fixed and accurate :)

Roarschach

Dec 18, 2018
Nice. I cancelled my install which had progressed to around 10 gb to re-install again, but this time just the mandatory 46gb.

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Mhhhh, even if it comes from Oscar, I'm not trusting this 100% that this extra data won't help or get used in any way to relax the data stream.
Cause why would you program it that way? If you can give the game 50gb on extra data for a potential offline situation, why wouldn't the game use this even if you're online when the data is already there? 😅 Like a separate extra cache?

My Xbox is always online with 50mb download a second, but I'm really torn if I should remove this. 🤔

Maybe you can disable offline mode even with it downloaded? In this case you can test with it both disabled and enabled before uninstalling it.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Fascinated to see where FS lands in the most played charts. I am not a flight Sim person but will certainly check this out on Series X.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Thank you very much. Totally understand that the initial confusion arose because the metadata describing the chunks did not propagate alongside the pre-load initially, but glad that that and the title are now fixed and accurate :)

I'm kinda shocked that the team have got it down so low, honestly... It's pretty great work.

The game was my GOTY last year on PC. I'm obsessed with the game. It's very special to me. An aging GTX980 rig with a bad CPU that ran it pretty poorly... Absolutely pumped to play it on console now.

Although, the fly in my ointment, I'm going away travelling for two weeks literally the day after it releases. Don't suppose it's going to be on Xbox Cloud Streaming at launch is it? Or is that coming later? It's going to break me only getting to play it for a few hours before I have to leave home for a couple of (long) weeks!

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
That's great that the full size isn't the full 90 since I'm on Series S. Quite the turnaround considering the size at launch last year (and the many hours downloading it because it kept failing).

Rivanov

Mar 22, 2018
The Netherlands
You need the offline data to have the best graphics? Or do you also get the best graphics when streaming online?
because in the YouTube movie posted above you see a difference in graphics between offline and online.

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
Does having the offline pack help the game when you have a slow connections or is it literally only used when you're completely offline?

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Just as a heads up, if you had already downloaded the 200MB pre-install, you'll (probably) have to delete that, and go to the store to re-start the download so that you can un-check the offline maps module. Otherwise, the 200MB pre-install will update to the whole 97GB package.

That is, unless there's a way to unckeck the offline module while the pre-installer is updating, but I was using remote play from my PC so my options were more limited using the keyboard.

Last edited:

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Fucking huge props for them including an offline mode. I didn't want to get too excited to check this out when I get a Series X since I have no clue if this whole cloud thing would work for me.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Just as a heads up, if you had already downloaded the 200MB pre-install, you'll (probably) have to delete that, and go to the store to re-start the download so that you can un-check the offline maps module. Otherwise, the 200MB pre-install will update to the whole 97GB package.

That is, unless there's a way to unckeck the offline module while the pre-installer is updating, but I was using remote play from my PC so my options were more limited using the keyboard.

I just unchecked it as it was installing.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
So, are they gonna wait until release day to update Premium Deluxe owners?

Only have base game and offline mode, no other add-ons and it shows as "Standard" in library.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
Wait a couple of days and DL it while the month changes over 😁

Keep in mind it can use up to 1GB per hour of flight time streaming in the world, depending on settings.

Here's a video comparing a low data flight to a high data flight.

edit: Actually, just loading in NYC for a fly over cost this guy 600MB.
Once an area is cached you can keep flying over it indefinitely without using much more data, but visiting too many areas too quickly with be bad for your cap.

Im on unlimited at 220mb/s. Am I safe to stream the clouded world or what ever it is?