• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
How long are flights on this? I'm guessing flying London to Berlin isn't going to take me an hour of real time etc

It is, to the best of my knowledge, a perfect 1:1 mapping of the real world thanks to topographical data. It's also Flight Sim by franchise name and design, so the core market is people (including professionals) literally real-time flying as it actually is. There's usually speed up tools and whatnot if you want (I haven't played with these in FS2020 yet), but otherwise yeah. A flight to London to Berlin will be real time, and real to scale. Cities are real to scale. Rivers and lakes are real to scale.

Flying by Everest is real to scale.

E6OnONfVUAEVHiu

EDIT: I should say "near perfect". Things don't always render as well as they should, either because of engine and algorithm limitations or because of weak topographical data. Some areas of the world and cities look a lot worse than others. Some region have low resolution satellite data for textures. Is what it is. But they're always updating and improving parts of the algorithm to increase the procedural rendering quality. I remember at launch mountains, like Everest, generally looking pretty shit.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
How long are flights on this? I'm guessing flying London to Berlin isn't going to take me an hour of real time etc

It's the full size Earth at 1:1 scale. Flights take the same time they do in the real world. Otherwise it wouldn't be much of a simulator. :)

Full 1:1 Earth has been part of Flight Simulators like this for well over a decade now.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
It's the full size Earth at 1:1 scale. Flights take the same time they do in the real world. Otherwise it wouldn't be much of a simulator. :)

Full 1:1 Earth has been part of Flight Simulators like this for well over a decade now.
I have no idea how this works, but can I jump into a plane somewhere on the planet and fly, for example, over the Himalaya with my kids?

May 24, 2019
For hours long flights, I liked having them on as a background while reading a book.

I've never seen any time sped up mechanics. Do those really exist in this game?

www.eurogamer.net

Flight Simulator speeding up time explained: How to increase the sim rate and 'fast travel'

How to change the simulation speed in Flight Simulator, including how to speed up time and fast travel explained.

I have no idea how this works, but can I jump into a plane somewhere on the planet and fly, for example, over the Himalaya with my kids?

Yeah. You can just start in the air close to an attraction if you want. Though there are usually airports/strips within a few minutes of any famous spot to take off from.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Man, those Series S screens are looking great. Series X looks incredible. It seems pretty much right up there with what I remember the PC version looking like on an RTX 2080.can't wait to take to the skies again. I might just have tk fire the game up on PC again soon.

Yep. There's a world map. I haven't played in several months, but I'm pretty sure you can either start at any airport in the world and fly from there, or just pick any spot on the map and start there, right in the air.

It was pretty easy for me to, for example, pick an airport in Egypt and fly over the Pyramids. Personally, I find part of the fun of this game is picking exciting locations, finding the closest airport, and finding a way to fly over it. Any favorite is flying over places I've been to for vacation. It was super cool flying over San Francisco, and spotting all the cool attractions I saw less than a year earlier.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017

You menu map is the entire Earth, with every airport listed, alongside countless points of interest. You can select a location, or put in GPS coordinates (easily found on any map service). And from there just load in wherever you want, mid flight in the air. Topographical map data covering layout and heightmaps, including satellite imagery, will be downloaded and applied to the landscape. And these things combined with procedural algorithms within the engine will render the scene. You can, if you like, tweak weather conditions and time of day in real time too, mid flight. You can pause and look around. You can keep flying. You can turn on a wide assortment of accessibility features to make flight extremely easy with a controller, if you just want to sight see.

Pop in the GPS coordinates of your childhood home and if it hasn't been knocked down the game will put you there. It'll render the roads you lived on, and put little houses where all the houses are.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
It's kind of amazing (alarming?) that we're less than a week out from release, and we've seen almost zero footage from the console versions.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Yeah it was pretty rough. Buckingham Palace was being rendered as a block of flats.

0kl7y52nvmh51-efb6.jpg

Here's some of the UK update comparisons:

Speaking of which, do we know what updates are going to be included in XSX version ?
Or everything is server-side so the streamed data are always up to date ?

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
It's kind of amazing (alarming?) that we're less than a week out from release, and we've seen almost zero footage from the console versions.

Yeah, I'm still on the edge because of this. The first stream of this game in this thread was good but with low bitrate 1080p stream quality, you can't really say much in comparison.

I want it to look exactly like on the 4K PC version videos and exactly as pixel sharp and detailed. But I'm maybe expecting too much and setting myself up for disappointment. 😅

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm still on the edge because of this. The first stream of this game in this thread was good but with low bitrate 1080p stream quality, you can't really say much in comparison.

I want it to look exactly like on the 4K PC version videos and exactly as pixel sharp and detailed. But I'm maybe expecting too much and setting myself up for disappointment. 😅
Yea I have no doubt it looks great, but I also have no doubt DF will nitpick the hell out of it lol.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I don't know what's going on with their rendering technique on trees but they always look fantastic, from a distance at least.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

The Series X will run this game as good as any video you've ever seen of a 2080 tier PC running it. It'll look as pixel sharp and detailed.

Astronomer

Aug 22, 2019

Vico

Jan 3, 2018

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
RIP SSD Space with all those world updates

And that's why they're all separate, optional downloads inside the client rather than being title updates forced upon everyone.

You can download just the ones you want.

For context, the UK and Ireland world update is about 4GB.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
And that's why they're all separate, optional downloads inside the client rather than being title updates forced upon everyone.

You can download just the ones you want.

For context, the UK and Ireland world update is about 4GB.

So the better quality ones are on top of the map streamed from the cloud? I've noticed they had some better looking locations in some updates.

kVH2LpZd

Apr 3, 2019
Is my assumption correct, that when I have already purchased the PC Version, I will be able to play it on a Series X without purchasing again?

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
Is my assumption correct, that when I have already purchased the PC Version, I will be able to play it on a Series X without purchasing again?

Online I'm reading that this is a Play Anywhere title, so I guess yes (as long as you're talking about the Microsoft Store version and not Steam, but you know that).

Eurogamer says it is at least.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
So the better quality ones are on top of the map streamed from the cloud? I've noticed they had some better looking locations in some updates.

Yeah. You've got a few options when it comes to the quality of the world.

Offline mode - the worst choice. But there if you need to play offline. You can download a 56GB optional pack to avoid this.
Regular install, streamed - maps are more detailed and all the data is streamed from the cloud as you play. Very good. The smallest install option.
World updates - As above but with with extra detailed landmarks and buildings that have to be installed separatly to the main game as regional 'World Updates'. They've done a ton of these and they do stuff like add in proper models for landmarks (like Stonehenge for example) or for cities (so proper Buckingham Palace etc). Each region is about 4gb each on top of the regular 40 something GB install.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Yeah. You've got a few options when it comes to the quality of the world.

Offline mode - the worst choice. But there if you need to play offline. You can download a 56GB optional pack to avoid this.
Regular install, streamed - maps are more detailed and all the data is streamed from the cloud as you play. Very good.
World updates - As above but with with extra detailed landmarks and buildings that have to be installed separatly to the main game as regional 'World Updates'. They've done a ton of these and they do stuff like add in proper models for landmarks (like Stonehenge for example) or for cities (so proper Buckingham Palace etc).

Tnks for the explanation, my SX might just become the FS machine.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Speaking of which, do we know what updates are going to be included in XSX version ?
Or everything is server-side so the streamed data are always up to date ?
They said it's exactly the same build as on PC. Everything available from MS will be on both platforms. 3rd party mods obviously can't guarantee that, but all of the world and sim updates will not only be available on both, but will be perfectly in sync.