• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Syder

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to be to harsh, but all this talk about VAR robbing Scotland in the media is nonsense....the rule has always been there, you stay on your line....just because they can now check it does not mean you then get to say, well VAR is wrong...

Apparently she did not dive the second time as she argued you need to step forward to dive, then why did she not take a step back behind her line to make sure she could dive.... I do feel for Scotland as they threw it away, but blaming VAR is covering up their poor performance in the last 20 mins.
It's tough because plenty of saves get made when the keeper is slightly off the line because the biggest part of saving penalties is anticipating where the ball is going from how the striker is shaping up. However, those are the rules by the letter of the law.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
Regulations are meant to be enforceable and implementable. If VAR allows the law to be enforced, you have to use it. If you don't want to use VAR then what's the point of the law?

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Who wants to play "Spot the protagonist"? :D

64764314_10157553937671803_8129607363083632640_o.jpg

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
The PL has announced they will not use VAR to check goalkeepers moving off their line

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
The "it's the law" thing is silly. There are a lot of dumb laws that are correctly not enforced. The solution isn't to ticket everyone going 3 mph over the speed limit until every speed limit in the country gets replaced.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I just heard Ian Holloway predict Leicester will be challenging Liverpool and City next season lol

El Toporo

Oct 25, 2017
Losing Hummels is big. Not sure our bosses thought this through, especially since Boateng will leave as well.

OP
OP
Syder

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
Of either of the duo to go first, I'd have bet it would've been Boateng. It will be interesting to see what Bayern's defence looks like next season.

Simon21

Apr 25, 2018
I don't want to be to harsh, but all this talk about VAR robbing Scotland in the media is nonsense....the rule has always been there, you stay on your line....just because they can now check it does not mean you then get to say, well VAR is wrong...

Apparently she did not dive the second time as she argued you need to step forward to dive, then why did she not take a step back behind her line to make sure she could dive.... I do feel for Scotland as they threw it away, but blaming VAR is covering up their poor performance in the last 20 mins.

Really think the moaning is out of proportion. The rule has actually been made more lenient, used to be that the keeper was supposed to have both feet on or behind the line. It was hardly a close call either, their keeper jumped a good foot or so straight forwards before the ball was kicked.

Omoi

May 7, 2019
Honestly this is something which is probably exclusively for me,

but seeing Peter Reid and Neville Southall be friends on twitter gives me so much strength. It's good to see some footy people not be obnoxious assholes.

Timmm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
Honestly this is something which is probably exclusively for me,

but seeing Peter Reid and Neville Southall be friends on twitter gives me so much strength. It's good to see some footy people not be obnoxious assholes.

They're both ace, especially considering that so many ex-pros from their time seem to be massive gammons - its good to see a couple of them (and Lineker too) basically be decent, normal people.

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well fuck! Already losing Stuge and Moreno, loads of loanees, and now the first bit of transfer news sees us losing one of our finest and fan favourites. I know he hasn't delivered quite as well as previous seasons, but still this stings.

It was inevitable he'd start looking elsewhere, a lot of Liverpool jounos are looking a bit flat now the club leaks almost nothing to them. Part of the reason you'll see us linked with practically everyone, reporters either take a lucky guess to stay relevant, or stay quiet which, as far as news outlets are concerned, isn't good enough. Expect less and less reliable sources concerning Liverpool if this keeps up...

Except Mbappe tho, that shit is real as fuck!

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Rumors have it the Athletic is starting up in the UK and he might go there.
Yeah, saw that. Probably still gonna be a Liverpool correspondent regardless of where he winds up, just with less access - though at this stage being the Echo's correspondent means little if the club keeps its' business under wraps. Funny to see Carra and the likes egg him into announcing Mbappe as his first tweet for his new job. Start off with a bang.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well fuck! Already losing Stuge and Moreno, loads of loanees, and now the first bit of transfer news sees us losing one of our finest and fan favourites. I know he hasn't delivered quite as well as previous seasons, but still this stings.

It was inevitable he'd start looking elsewhere, a lot of Liverpool jounos are looking a bit flat now the club leaks almost nothing to them. Part of the reason you'll see us linked with practically everyone, reporters either take a lucky guess to stay relevant, or stay quiet which, as far as news outlets are concerned, isn't good enough. Expect less and less reliable sources concerning Liverpool if this keeps up...

Except Mbappe tho, that shit is real as fuck!

Net spend boys will be happy tonight.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
People really want Mbappe? The transfer fee and wage is more than the club can realistically spend on one player and any improvement he'd bring wouldn't be worth it.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like a lot of local football reporters are being snapped up- Tim Spiers, the Express and Star's Wolves reporter, just got headhunted.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
all this talk about the goalkeeper not staying on their line. Biggest thing yesterday was the offside goal for USA. They need to fix that damned rule. Player was obviously affecting play if the defender feels the need to intervene.
Stupid rule change.

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People really want Mbappe? The transfer fee and wage is more than the club can realistically spend on one player and any improvement he'd bring wouldn't be worth it.
The wage thing is the big question isn't it? And not just for someone like Mbappe either. It's kinda our roadblock going forwards. Which is why I genuinely buy that a major part of FSG's plan on 'investing' is to buy one massive profile player, or two major players, on competitive wages to Europe's elite, whilst focusing the rest of their efforts on our main players. We don't know how these conversations go, but, if any sources are to be believed, FSG are famous for their bonuses as part of contract negotiations. We don't tend pay upwards of 200 grand now, but we do find ways of turning profit for the club into money in our player's pockets, and outside of Can, I don't recall any grumbling from our players in recent years about their wage.

If they're gonna go bust on wages, it has to be on a figure the rest of the squad are going to recognise immediately. Take Robbo for instance, he's woefully cheap in price and wage (still) for what he has become, but no one blinked twice at the time, both within Liverpool and it's fans. Even Salah over performed immediately, and we spent no time in bumping up his profile and status in the squad when he started to break out. Sadly, finding unknown talent for us is likely going to be a case of diminishing returns.

Mané, Robbo, Gini, Fabinho, Salah are all players that have flourished under Klopp, showing how abysmally cheap they were in retrospect. No club worth their salt are going to look at Liverpool approaching their 'squad' player offering them £15/£20 million and think "sound, easy money." Everyone knows we have a good backroom team of scouts and researchers who, if they're telling Klopp and Edwards to get this guy, they have clearly seen something even the player's own club hasn't. It may not even happen to the extent this season, but we are going to be treated like City/Madrid/Barca when it comes to other clubs' and agents' demands of us, we're proven to be at the top class at spotting world beaters.

This brings massively inflated fees, and, like I said with agents, more and more inflated wages whether we like it or not. For what it's worth I don't believe in anything to do with the Mbappe shit, I've more faith in fucking Fekír which is saying a lot, but whoever we do sign this summer, is going to be far more closer to Van Dijk in transfer fee than Salah, for a player who is only ever going to be on Salah's level, or just beneath him, because that's where we're at now. We have the best, we know all the other players of our team's level. It's going to be very, very interesting to see what we actually do this summer. There is school of thought that going for broke for someone of Mbappe's status can only be done by us this summer (unless we win the league and/or CL next year), there is school of thought that we could replicate Spurs - we are building a new state of the art training facility after all, and then Anfield Road end (only with us we have a stronger squad). But finding rank unknowns isn't going to be commonplace anymore, nor is it going to be cheap. What I think is, if FSG wants us to be more than a win-it-once-a-generation, no matter their intentions, they're gonna have to deliver more cash - which, scarily, isn't something you can even really criticise them of not doing.

Timmm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
If Liverpool want to properly cement ourselves in the elite European clubs then at some point we will have to make consistent 'statement' signings too - which Mbappe would be if he came (which I still very much doubt will happen)

A bit like the Torres move was at the time, where Liverpool surprise everyone and sign a player that everyone expects to be world class, but moving to one of the super clubs

SMD

Oct 28, 2017

Mbappe is going to be on the level of the original Ronaldo on his current trajectory. He's a once in a generation talent and if he's available, you pay whatever it takes to get him.

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Even our three most prolific signings of this squad aren't nearly as strong 'statement of intent' signings as Mbappe would be. Alisson came with the stigma of being a Liverpool goalie, right after the Kiev final too. He was seen by some as a panic buy, until he proved them wrong throughout the season - I mean, does anyone remember his fuck-up against Leicester? It even brought a jab from Pickford ahead of the derby (something I hope we as Reds never let 'little arms' forget, the big mouthed little cunt), people were so happy to question if Liverpool had really strengthened.

Same with VVD, I still recall a video from some jumped-up United fan arguing with Chirs Pajak about - no shitting you - the elephant in the room that was the United's managerial role/squad/boardroom. Say what you will about Pajak's past behaviour, but every single thing he stated over 18 months ago fell literally the way it did, but the United fan only retorted by calling VVD an expensive Smalling, so we couldn't talk shit about them. The sentiment was never as overt, but across the league and media, VVD was kinda seen as just that to them, an expensive fix to a woeful defence, and a player other fans and teams were waiting to flop.

Even Salah, who took the league by storm, drew almost pleading fear from other fans that he'd be a One-Season wonder, because the alternative would be worse for them. All three are world class, all three can be argued as being amongst the best in the world at their position.

If Madrid or Barca bought any of those three right now, today, that'd be a massive fucking statement signing. We didn't make statements in buying them, we did that by winning with them. But someone like Mbappe? They're different. They're already regarded as amongst the best. Outside of our own major critics within the fanbase, or the most conceited of rival fans, no one is going to question what Liverpool think's they're doing in buying him.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
I would love a top class #9 honestly. I love Firmino a lot and he brings a lot to how the formations work, but it would be great to have a 20 goals a season striker.

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I would love a top class #9 honestly. I love Firmino a lot and he brings a lot to how the formations work, but it would be great to have a 20 goals a season striker.
Agreed, or someone who could more effectively take Mané's place on the left. Mané is way more versatile than people give him credit for, he wouldn't be out of his depth in doing the grunt work Firmino does more often if we had a winger as dangerous as him to fill in the role at times. Let's not forget he wasn't originally a left-winger for us before Salah signed.
tough luck, liverpool aren't going to sign mbappe. he's a longtime admirer of ole and he's coming to manchester.
Nah dude, he's always dreamed of following his hero Djimi Traoré's footsteps after Istanbul. He even had Traoré posters. You see that photo of him as a kid surrounded by Ronaldo ones? All photoshopped my friend. Djimi and the odd Smicer one are in the original.

Besides, He met LeBron who was wearing a Liverpool hat so you know he was doing scout work at the time for us.

Plus he likes us on FIFA. It's a done deal.

Last edited:

Timmm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
Even our three most prolific signings of this squad aren't nearly as strong 'statement of intent' signings as Mbappe would be. Alisson came with the stigma of being a Liverpool goalie, right after the Kiev final too. He was seen by some as a panic buy, until he proved them wrong throughout the season - I mean, does anyone remember his fuck-up against Leicester? It even brought a jab from Pickford ahead of the derby (something I hope we as Reds never let 'little arms' forget, the big mouthed little cunt), people were so happy to question if Liverpool had really strengthened.

Same with VVD, I still recall a video from some jumped-up United fan arguing with Chirs Pajak about - no shitting you - the elephant in the room that was the United's managerial role/squad/boardroom. Say what you will about Pajak's past behaviour, but every single thing he stated over 18 months ago fell literally the way it did, but the United fan only retorted by calling VVD an expensive Smalling, so we couldn't talk shit about them. The sentiment was never as overt, but across the league and media, VVD was kinda seen as just that to them, an expensive fix to a woeful defence, and a player other fans and teams were waiting to flop.

Even Salah, who took the league by storm, drew almost pleading fear from other fans that he'd be a One-Season wonder, because the alternative would be worse for them. All three are world class, all three can be argued as being amongst the best in the world at their position.

If Madrid or Barca bought any of those three right now, today, that'd be a massive fucking statement signing. We didn't make statements in buying them, we did that by winning with them. But someone like Mbappe? They're different. They're already regarded as amongst the best. Outside of our own major critics within the fanbase, or the most conceited of rival fans, no one is going to question what Liverpool think's they're doing in buying him.

Salah wasn't a statement signing when we got him - he was a Chelsea 'flop' who had been a good forward in the Serie A

VvD definitely was a statement signing given that City and Chelsea both wanted him, a lot of people had their doubts about the fee (myself included), but the types like the guy Pajak argued with are deluded weirdos who were always going to say any Liverpool signing is shit (the same people were calling Robbo and Trent shit too, before either had really played)

Allison is arguable, I personally don't think he was, as we didn't beat any other clubs to get him, but can see how it is arguable given that Liverpool had an obvious deficiency in the position and just paid whatever was needed to address it

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
Did i miss something? When the fuck did Mbappe become available? Or are people pip dreamin? No way PSG would let him go? And the price would probably set some sort of record if they did.

Timmm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
Did i miss something? When the fuck did Mbappe become available? Or are people pip dreamin? No way PSG would let him go? And the price would probably set some sort of record if they did.

It's just rumours. It won't happen. And if he does leave it will probably be to Madrid. Think it was caused by Mbappe saying he likes playing as Liverpool on fifa because "they are the best in Europe" and also following a load of LFC accounts on social media

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
It's just rumours. It won't happen. And if he does leave it will probably be to Madrid. Think it was caused by Mbappe saying he likes playing as Liverpool on fifa because "they are the best in Europe" and also following a load of LFC accounts on social media

Christ. If he went to Liverpool, id barf. lol

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Salah wasn't a statement signing when we got him - he was a Chelsea 'flop' who had been a good forward in the Serie A

VvD definitely was a statement signing given that City and Chelsea both wanted him, a lot of people had their doubts about the fee (myself included), but the types like the guy Pajak argued with are deluded weirdos who were always going to say any Liverpool signing is shit (the same people were calling Robbo and Trent shit too, before either had really played)

Allison is arguable, I personally don't think he was, as we didn't beat any other clubs to get him, but can see how it is arguable given that Liverpool had an obvious deficiency in the position and just paid whatever was needed to address it

You're right, forgot about City and Chelsea in the run for him, partly because there was little mentioned of it after he signed.

Er, he said he likes Klopp recently when talking about teams in FIFA! that basically means he's en route to Melwood roundabout now since he'll want to wrap up the signing in time for a Friday night at Popworld.

It's a slow couple of weeks for us, linked with everyone who is in turn linked with everyone else, therefore not linked with anyone. Only outlier was Mbappe being coy with LeBron, then following some Reds players of yesteryear online, and complimenting us over FIFA (fucking FIFA), and since he isn't linked with anyone else, and had made those statements earlier in the window about thinking about a new challenge, Liverpool fans do what they do online and either joke or stress about it.

He isn't coming here, he isn't even Madrid bound since PSG might lose Neymar. You only have to look at the French journos to know that. French publications are way more sensationalist than British ones if the Fekir deal is anything to go by. If there was even a wiff he was moving on anywhere, we'd all be fed up with the amount of coverage it'd get.

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
You're right, forgot about City and Chelsea in the run for him, partly because there was little mentioned of it after he signed.

Er, he said he likes Klopp recently when talking about teams in FIFA! that basically means he's en route to Melwood roundabout now since he'll want to wrap up the signing in time for a Friday night at Popworld.

It's a slow couple of weeks for us, linked with everyone who is in turn linked with everyone else, therefore not linked with anyone. Only outlier was Mbappe being coy with LeBron, then following some Reds players of yesteryear online, and complimenting us over FIFA (fucking FIFA), and since he isn't linked with anyone else, and had made those statements earlier in the window about thinking about a new challenge, Liverpool fans do what they do online and either joke or stress about it.

He isn't coming here, he isn't even Madrid bound since PSG might lose Neymar. You only have to look at the French journos to know that. French publications are way more sensationalist than British ones if the Fekir deal is anything to go by. If there was even a wiff he was moving on anywhere, we'd all be fed up with the amount of coverage it'd get.

Yeah you figure if this was serious it would be all over the damn place. But this thread was the first i heard of it.

We need some real signings to discuss. Things have been too quiet. We're going mad.

Status
Not open for further replies.