• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

plusaflag

User requested ban
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
This notion that football clubs are brands and should sell their souls for a weird idea of success needs to be put to bed. Clubs are what the fans make of it, no matter how the press and various corporate entities try.
The best thing about German football is that fans are at the core of decision making and when they make a wrong step, they're quick to mobilise and effect in sending a message.

One of the worst things about English football is how corporate its all gotten, and yes I speak as a fan of a club that sold itself twice to people wanting to make money. Calling football clubs "brands" make my teeth itch. I'd rather my club was an integral part of the local community rather than looking to corporate partners to win the Money League trophy.
I might have assumed a bit too quickly that a profesionnal organization would help establish more stable results, that I concede.

But more generally, constituting teams around joint-stock companies is a growing trend : 14 teams out of 18 in the Bundesliga are now corporates. Schalke is one of those remaining and is notorious for showing the most baffling differences in performance year over year. In what other league do you see a top 4 team rush towards relegation after they were 2nd the season before ? Could you see this happen to Barcelona ? Chelsea or Napoli ?

The teams I just mentioned have inner gears finely tuned by professional managers at all levels. They follow strict processes to ensure that they can repeat their performances season after season. On top of that, they have opened themselves to investors who further contribute to their success with their know how.

Bersi

Oct 25, 2017
I stil can't believe how dominant Emre Can was yesterday in that back 3.... an absolute monster, him, Spinazzola and Bernardeschi were unstoppable.

The best Juve match in the CL since that 2003 semi against Real, no doubt about it.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what to think of tonight's game. Fairly confident we go through. 0-0 from the first leg is a decent position to be in. But Bayern will be much better in this second leg, they were dreadful in the first game.

plusaflag

User requested ban
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
Not sure what to think of tonight's game. Fairly confident we go through. 0-0 from the first leg is a decent position to be in. But Bayern will be much better in this second leg, they were dreadful in the first game.
Bayern have regained their composure in the league. They have been stomping on the oppposition thse past 7 games or so.
If they do their best, they will probably go through.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Bayern's defence has been shaky this season. They conceded a lot of goals they didn't use to concede in the past. On the other hand Liverpool's offence in away games has been pretty poor recently. I think here is were the game will be played, if Liverpool manages to score or not. Especially before they run out of steam.

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to call the Bayern game tonight, given Liverpool's weird inconsistency with scoring and then on top of that, what Bayern will actually turn up. If it ended 0-0 I don't think anyone will be surprised.

I have no faith in Lyon on the other hand, I'm sure Barcelona will come out at home and be confident enough to win.

Timmm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
This notion that football clubs are brands and should sell their souls for a weird idea of success needs to be put to bed. Clubs are what the fans make of it, no matter how the press and various corporate entities try.
The best thing about German football is that fans are at the core of decision making and when they make a wrong step, they're quick to mobilise and effect in sending a message.

One of the worst things about English football is how corporate its all gotten, and yes I speak as a fan of a club that sold itself twice to people wanting to make money. Calling football clubs "brands" make my teeth itch. I'd rather my club was an integral part of the local community rather than looking to corporate partners to win the Money League trophy.

Agreed

But more generally, constituting teams around joint-stock companies is a growing trend : 14 teams out of 18 in the Bundesliga are now corporates. Schalke is one of those remaining and is notorious for showing the most baffling differences in performance year over year. In what other league do you see a top 4 team rush towards relegation after they were 2nd the season before ? Could you see this happen to Barcelona ? Chelsea or Napoli ?

Why is this bad? Who wants to see the same teams going for the league title every year?

I stil can't believe how dominant Emre Can was yesterday in that back 3.... an absolute monster, him, Spinazzola and Bernardeschi were unstoppable.

The best Juve match in the CL since that 2003 semi against Real, no doubt about it.

Every now and again (especially in the CL) Can would have a game where he would look amazing, his problem was always consistency

softtack

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

lvg3.png

OP
OP
Syder

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
City will still find a way to draw Macclesfield

OP
OP
Syder

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
Ross Barkley is in but James Maddison is nowhere to be seen…

Irish Young Player of the Year is in though.

Jodez99

Jan 1, 2018
What I'd want:
Ajax vs Porto
Barce vs Spurs
City vs Juve
United vs Pool

What we'll get:
City vs Ajax
United vs Juve
Barcelona vs Porto
Spurs vs Bayern/Pool

Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
No line ups yet?

Bayern Munich
  • 1 Neuer
  • 13 Ferreira de Souza
  • 4 Süle
  • 5 Hummels
  • 27 Alaba
  • 8 Martínez Aguinaga
  • 6 Thiago Alcántara
  • 22 Gnabry
  • 11 Rodríguez
  • 7 Ribéry
  • 9 Lewandowski

Liverpool
  • 13 Alisson
  • 66 Alexander-Arnold
  • 32 Matip
  • 4 van Dijk
  • 26 Robertson
  • 7 Milner
  • 14 Henderson
  • 5 Wijnaldum
  • 11 Salah
  • 9 Roberto Firmino
  • 10 Mané
Gini-Hendo-Milner midfield? RIP Pool

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I can't in good conscience feel we will win with that midfield. :( So sad now.

FuturusX

Oct 28, 2017
Definitely bit miffed with the selection but I'll give Klopp the benefit of the doubt. Hendo needs have a big game because he's been a bit lame all season.

Shav1

May 18, 2018
Going by that midfield I can only guess that we're going to be pressing hard tonight.

FuturusX

Oct 28, 2017
Going to be a tough game for Liverpool, I can see us losing here, but we won't go down without a fight. If we do make it then the WOW season continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.