• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

coldsagging

AVALANCHE
Oct 27, 2017
Pickford full screen gurning down the camera, the low point of a low night.

I think this might be game over for Liverpool and Klopp this season
It was over after the Palace game. Said after that it's a good improvement after last season but it doesn't feel like it right now. In the end clawing back time and time again just wasn't sustainable. Off my head I'm struggling for games where we were title worthy level excellent from start to finish, Villa at home is the big standout, which was September I think.

We really lack partnerships and patterns of play in the final third, Darwin and Salah had something for a bit but it was hardly fireworks. Diaz looks alright when he's beating players near the halfway line and he's got loads of heart, but he's too often an island.

Of the new breed Gakpo has the most intelligence but he's got his own problems with consistency (I sympathise because he's drawn the long straw with selection a lot this season) I would play him in every game left though.

Darwin looked to be turning the corner but he hasn't followed through, he's utterly baffling. Jota is great but prone to injury, and we've lost the edge Jota gave us because Arsenal have their own Jota now with Trossard.

We were too reliant on Trent tonight and he's been back for all of 5 minutes, we need so much more from others. Szoboszlai's fall off has been insane, I would play Elliott in every remaining game. I would play McConnell. Where have those kids gone? Bring them back.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Oof, I guess that's the season over for Liverpool.

I just don't understand why Klopp had to announce his leaving Liverpool so early. I feel like everything went downhill shortly after that.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017

I just don't understand why Klopp had to announce his leaving Liverpool so early. I feel like everything went downhill shortly after that.
I'm guessing maybe him announcing it so early was thought to galvanize the players in the run in towards the end of the season.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

Think it's impossible to hide something like that without screwing the club over by Klopp not telling them. The moment Liverpool put out a single feeler about another manager, which they would want to in order to get a replacement sorted, the story leaks and they're not in control of it.

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty awful for Liverpool, but in some ways, at least I don't have to go through the pain of having hope for the title.

Everton played really well, and are well deserved to stay up at this point.

At the end of the day, this was a season that has us back in the top four and won a trophy, which is a vast improvement over last season. Klopp has left the club in a weird place, but again, a better place than last season. You can tell that he's done all he can, and it's probably the time that the club works out life without him.

Now, for Slot to see if he has what it takes. Will not be surprised if Salah or Trent are off in the summer to herald a new era.

Jodez99

Jan 1, 2018
Where does Salah go? I would have said Madrid but they're getting Mbappe and Endrick. Maybe PSG? Saudi?

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
It's not about underestimating Arsenal. If City win their remaining games, they win the league, regardless of whether Arsenal win out too.
Yes but I think there is a chance that City draw one of their remaining games. That is perfectly plausible, especially with Spurs away to come. It's so tight, but I don't think it's a foregone conclusion at all.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Yes but I think there is a chance that City draw one of their remaining games. That is perfectly plausible, especially with Spurs away to come. It's so tight, but I don't think it's a foregone conclusion at all.
Manchester City has a problem this season which is exclusive to this season. Conceding too many goals which could cost them 3 points in their remaining games. majority of them are not simple and are tricky.

Damien1990

May 23, 2020

I think it was for a mix of reasons, some more likely than others and some that sort of relate with others:
  • Felt that the news was going to get out regardless whether he announced it or not, so thought it best to announce it himself before any rumours built up.
  • Make it easier for Liverpool to do their post-Klopp planning, bringing Michael Edwards back and go for the next manager. Even with a club that has been pretty tightly ran with regards to leaks getting out, something as big as that would have been hard to keep secret for months.
  • Thought it'd be cathartic to him, and I do think it did help him releasing his emotions in that interview.
  • Wanted to make it final rather than give him any leeway to change his mind. Not that I think he would have changed his mind but it would have given people time to digest the news.
Probably thought it'd galvanize the squad too - and for a while the results were great. Just seems that in the last month they've collapsed. Getting knocked out of the FA Cup was a big blow, then the draw at Old Trafford followed by the collapse to Atalanta saw their quadruple hopes turn into at best a double, and with both City and Arsenal doing great I think they've just wilted to an extent with all the emotions sinking in.

I think that in this day and age, doing a Fergie and announcing you're leaving at the end of the season a week before isn't really possible and we all saw the problems they had appointing his replacement.

Final game of the season home against Wolves will be something. Either will be a smashing or a weird result like United's 5-5 against West Brom. Emotions will be running high that is for sure.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Manchester City has a problem this season which is exclusive to this season. Conceding too many goals which could cost them 3 points in their remaining games. majority of them are not simple and are tricky.
They're certainly not quite at the level of previous seasons, which is partly because of the loss of Gundogan and Mahrez, and also the drop in form from the likes of Haaland and Grealish. They're still incredible and totally capable of winning their remaining fixtures, I just don't think it's an absolute certainty. That's why I don't think the title is done.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Hmm yeah, I guess I've heard that before about Klopp leaving being leaked or something so they had to announce it early. Quite a shame.

At this point, I just want to see Arsenal win it. But it depends on City failing to win a match or two, and Arsenal winning the rest of the matches. Both have their own complexities, especially to depend on Arsenal winning.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
My worry would be if Arsenal do get into a position again where it's in their hands would we see another Villa at home performance

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
My worry would be if Arsenal do get into a position again where it's in their hands would we see another Villa at home performance
Yeah. Arsenal have been given ample opportunities to get some distance between them and city and liverpool, yet they have again and again given the fate which was in their hands, to city.

After the villa game, I refuse to believe they can't somehow go all heads down and concede goals in any given game.

They could go and not concede any goal in the remain games and win or just fizzle out.

AnilP228

Mar 14, 2018
Where does Salah go? I would have said Madrid but they're getting Mbappe and Endrick. Maybe PSG? Saudi?
I don't think Salah will *want* to go to Saudi but I think Liverpool will accept a big offer. 100%.

They've got a big transfer window coming up. They need a Salah replacement that can bring the performance and output Mo did 3-4 years ago. On top of that, a defensive midfielder and centre back.

Robertson's form has also fallen off.

TheBee

Oct 18, 2023
I don't think Salah will *want* to go to Saudi but I think Liverpool will accept a big offer. 100%.

They've got a big transfer window coming up. They need a Salah replacement that can bring the performance and output Mo did 3-4 years ago. On top of that, a defensive midfielder and centre back.

Who would that be?

They'd have to be signing Mbappe.

AnilP228

Mar 14, 2018
Who would that be?

They'd have to be signing Mbappe.
Thank god I'm not Michael Edwards. It's a shame Bowen has a long term contract at West Ham tbh - he's got around 40 goals in 150 appearences for West Ham, which is pretty handy considering he's played under Moyes. In a better team I think he'd flourish, but his age probably means a club like Liverpool would never look at him.

Whatever data analysis they did bring in Salah over Brandt needs to work again, but without knowing who the manager it does make it harder. Apparently Arne Slot is now massive favourite and I believe he plays a 4-2-3-1. On paper I do think the current Liverpool side, with a few small changes, could work in that system.

bremen

Sep 22, 2020

Robertson has had an injury hit season and literally just come back from another.

coldsagging

AVALANCHE
Oct 27, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/TheAnfieldTalk/status/1783472208507011276?t=fReR-oBkQ4mmOPIAwkM6Qg&s=19
I'm not sure what benefit there is to putting this out there, unless they want to set the stall in preparation to sell him.

Thank god I'm not Michael Edwards. It's a shame Bowen has a long term contract at West Ham tbh - he's got around 40 goals in 150 appearences for West Ham, which is pretty handy considering he's played under Moyes. In a better team I think he'd flourish, but his age probably means a club like Liverpool would never look at him.

Whatever data analysis they did bring in Salah over Brandt needs to work again, but without knowing who the manager it does make it harder. Apparently Arne Slot is now massive favourite and I believe he plays a 4-2-3-1. On paper I do think the current Liverpool side, with a few small changes, could work in that system.
My choice would be Kudus, he's clearly got the potential to be elite and has had a good first season at West Ham, just 23 as well.