Oct 27, 2017
It is amusing how upset some people are getting because Starfield is good.

People are allowed to be impressed with what it appears Bethesda has pulled off. Part of the reason people are losing their minds is because they didn't think it would come together like this after previous showings. The differences from a year ago are pretty dramatic in both visuals and gameplay. And now that we see all the things you can do in this game on top of that, it's just impressive. People dismissing it with takes in here such as "it's industry standard" is laughable.
This. The investment some people have in downplaying Starfield since the direct reeks of desperation. They are hoping it fails. Which is pretty sad.

And it sure didn't stop a loud chorus of voices from shitting all over the game with their speculation and hypothesis after the first look that was shown off last year.

魑魅魍魎

Oct 25, 2017
IGN's hands-on impressions likened it "NMS with a full Bethesda RPG built on top of it, what you would expect a NMS 2 to be." Was most impressed by the space combat actually being good.

Highly recommend everyone watch the IGN video.

I will watch that video. I am hoping the game is more like NMS and less like skyrim/fallout

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
What's with the passive aggressiveness cause people are excited about this game?

Platform wars are a hell of a drug

Apr 20, 2022
I mean unless there's a wildly different implementation Starfield isn't exactly something unheard of or brand new. Mass effect in the 2000s basically did the same thing of traveling to specific planets within a RPG setting. No man's sky has more space exploration allowing travel to pretty much every planet.

As for being amazing because it's coming in 3 months. Lol. This writers an idiot. Games are developed years in advance and of course show them off them near release. TOTK had gameplay previews about a month before release and that was in development for 6 years.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I really don't see how what they're doing is all that crazy? It's like No Man's Sky with more narrative and curation?

Like if you took No Man's Sky and instead of 1,000,000,000,000 planets, you said, what if we just took 1000 of the most unique ones and wove a narrative around that? Then that's Star Field. It's a different approach but it's not hard to imagine how you'd get there from No Man's Sky's blueprint.

And I also think people are getting a little ahead of themselves. Whether the narrative will be good, whether the activities will be in-depth, and whatnot, all remains to be seen. If you look at Cyberpunk as an example, it looked like this hyperdetailed game with these intricate skill trees and clever narrative that's interwoven into a living, breathing city...

But then you played cyberpunk, and realised that none of the skill progression really matters because the world isn't well-designed to support it. Enemies feel almost randomly placed, the city's design is purely aesthetic and the systemic gameplay elements are simply smoke and mirrors.

I think that will be the challenge with Starfield and we will see if they've achieved what they set out to, realistically only when people get to play it.

Tyche-42

Sep 29, 2021
I mean unless there's a wildly different implementation Starfield isn't exactly something unheard of or brand new. Mass effect in the 2000s basically did the same thing of traveling to specific planets within a RPG setting. No man's sky has more space exploration allowing travel to pretty much every planet.

As for being amazing because it's coming in 3 months. Lol. This writers an idiot. Games are developed years in advance and of course show them off them near release. TOTK had gameplay previews about a month before release and that was in development for 6 years.
none of the mechanics are unheard of, having all of them in a single game is whats impressive. Entire planets that are proc gen but all look incredible and have lighting/graphical features we've only seen in games like RDR2/HFW like long distant mist/fog, except they also have handmade flora/fauna and have been designed to be generated a certain way with specific biomes.

the ability to land anywhere on a planet and explore, but with handmade content being placed dyanamically along your path so youre not just wandering through empty wilderness for hours.

The ability to build a completely custom ship, with an interior, hire a crew to run it, and fly it around space while trading, bounty hunting, and even boarding ships which you can then rob.

The ability to build colonies almost anywhere and staff it with crew or followers.

Multiple factions and large handmade cities each with a completely different theme based on popular sci-fi tropes like Militaristic federation, Space western, and Cyberpunk. All with handmade quests, NPCs, locations etc.

and on top of all of this an entire BGS RPG with decent looking combat, quests, RPG systems, all the interactive systems that make their games unique, and more handmade content than any of their previous games.

So yeah, if you look at the individual parts its all been 'done' but never all in one game and often not to the quality seen here. Like the proc gen terrain in this game blows any game using proc gen out of the water. Hell it blows most games with handmade environments out of the water.

Felpsmbs

Sep 25, 2020

Do we really need to start insulting people here?

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
i think they used computers to make it
ELFR8mOWwAA7m0O.jpg

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I think the specific implementation of fast travel is massively destructive to the fantasy of a game like Skyrim. You can't feel like you're on a grand adventure in the wilderness when you're a zero cost, no strings attached loading screen away from complete safety.

In Starfield I want to feel the isolation and danger of being millions of miles from the nearest outpost. They gotta have changed something about fast travel for that to be possible.
Agreed. We'll see.

ProbablyRobbie

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rumor is Todd Howard, while on a hike found a solid black monolith, its only feature was a USB C port. When he plugged it into his macbook Starfield was born.

Babu93

Feb 9, 2021
I think one of the most exciting things is that if it truly is a major success, I think they can keep building on it in a way they haven't been able to do before.

There have been plenty of good expansions to their previous games, but I always think it feels a bit contrived travelling to some new smaller area outside the main map. But here, you could seamlessly add new planets or even new reachable systems with new content.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I really don't see how what they're doing is all that crazy? It's like No Man's Sky with more narrative and curation?

Like if you took No Man's Sky and instead of 1,000,000,000,000 planets, you said, what if we just took 1000 of the most unique ones and wove a narrative around that? Then that's Star Field. It's a different approach but it's not hard to imagine how you'd get there from No Man's Sky's blueprint.

And I also think people are getting a little ahead of themselves. Whether the narrative will be good, whether the activities will be in-depth, and whatnot, all remains to be seen. If you look at Cyberpunk as an example, it looked like this hyperdetailed game with these intricate skill trees and clever narrative that's interwoven into a living, breathing city...

But then you played cyberpunk, and realised that none of the skill progression really matters because the world isn't well-designed to support it. Enemies feel almost randomly placed, the city's design is purely aesthetic and the systemic gameplay elements are simply smoke and mirrors.

I think that will be the challenge with Starfield and we will see if they've achieved what they set out to, realistically only when people get to play it.
There was nothing in Skyrim that was unheard of at the time. Yet the only game that mimics it is Fallout 4. BGS games are unique in how their take on simulating worlds though scripts and unreasonable amounts of fluff provides a « life simulation » experience.

Apr 20, 2022
none of the mechanics are unheard of, having all of them in a single game is whats impressive. Entire planets that are proc gen but all look incredible and have lighting/graphical features we've only seen in games like RDR2/HFW like long distant mist/fog, except they also have handmade flora/fauna and have been designed to be generated a certain way with specific biomes.

the ability to land anywhere on a planet and explore, but with handmade content being placed dyanamically along your path so youre not just wandering through empty wilderness for hours.

The ability to build a completely custom ship, with an interior, hire a crew to run it, and fly it around space while trading, bounty hunting, and even boarding ships which you can then rob.

The ability to build colonies almost anywhere and staff it with crew or followers.

Multiple factions and large handmade cities each with a completely different theme based on popular sci-fi tropes like Militaristic federation, Space western, and Cyberpunk. All with handmade quests, NPCs, locations etc.

and on top of all of this an entire BGS RPG with decent looking combat, quests, RPG systems, all the interactive systems that make their games unique, and more handmade content than any of their previous games.

So yeah, if you look at the individual parts its all been 'done' but never all in one game and often not to the quality seen here. Like the proc gen terrain in this game blows any game using proc gen out of the water. Hell it blows most games with handmade environments out of the water.
Yeah I get having an those things in 1 game is great and all but we've seen most of those things already in other games including Bethesda own games like elder Scrolls or fallout with their branched narratives, factions and RPG play style.

Mass effect did space exploring worlds with some hand made quests years ago, probably another game did it before, and it had planet specific landscape, gravity, minerals etc. Obviously not to this degree but those elements were already there and wowing people back then (and making them hate it because of the Mako lol).

As for the procedure generated stuff we will have to wait and see for that. It could be another nms where what the game creates is blander than what the creators promised. If planet X is a habitable forest world and settlers use I don't know a wood logging plant and cowboy aesthetic but planet Y is an inhospitable desert world and the settlers use the same equipment and style then it's obviously going to look out of place and immersion breaking. Making a galaxy of planets means there somehow Bethesda needs to differentiate each and every one otherwise it's back to being NMS or mass effect were a lot of the planets are surprisingly similar despite being light years apart with different stars, gravity wells or planet constitutions.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
It's hard to get excited about anything big nowadays, especially developers with a dubious track record recently like Bethesda, but I want it to be good. I want it to be fantastic actually, but I'll have to wait till close to release

Bengraven