Shari

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ERA: "I am a good ally and I support people who come forward about sexual harassment"
[ERA's favorite game developer is accused of a culture of harassment]
ERA: "Whoa now wait a minute"

Exactly.

If this wasn't coming from a "protected" studio throwing any shade of a doubt on it would get people shouting "VICTIM BLAMING!" all over the place.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I don't understand how people on era don't boycott sexist devs of ND.

Firstly I think it's good that most people here seem to be able to withhold judgement while we still don't know all of the facts.

Secondly why should an entire company be punished due to the actions (if true mind you) of one person?

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how people on era don't boycott sexist devs of ND.

Why would people boycott great games from hundreds of great people over one guys stupidity who doesn't even work there anymore and another who knew who also doesn't work there.
Why are you painting them all with the same brush?

This is the internet this shit will blow up today and certainly be forgot about by the tine last of us 2 gets its e3 stage presence.

germuso

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (2 Days): Inflammatory Commentary
Why dont he just go to justice?

Real Justice I mean, not Social Warriors Justice.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
Is it ok if I absolutely despise the tweet leading to the reveal of the name ?
Of course the name should be known, but not to twitter, rather to the police or to some authority ?

Feels like "let's destroy someone's life"...

I completely agree. That dude asking for names trying to paint himself as a crusader justice and victims rights... Do me a favour.

I hate that situations like this play out on Twitter, the worst possible place for them.

Oath

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Firstly I think it's good that most people here seem to be able to withhold judgement while we still don't know all of the facts.

Secondly why should an entire company be punished due to the actions (if true mind you) of one person?

They're absolutely 100% illegal as they're promoting sexist and/or homophobic values inside of a public company. In any other well-managed company, you would have been instantly fired for making those remarks at your work and it'd be impossible to defend yourself in front of a judge.

Wiggles

Oct 28, 2017
Plenty of people criticizing ND and Sony. It's the usual "both sides" crowd who defend anything and anyone who are waiting for "conclusive" evidence and all sides of the story.

Though there's really no need for pitchforks.

Yeah, how dare people await conclusive evidence before nuking someone's livelihood and reputation.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
It's the usual "both sides" crowd who defend anything and anyone who are waiting for "conclusive" evidence and all sides of the story.

Why do you make this sound like a bad thing? I don't care for Naughty Dogs, and I'm far more inclined to believe the victim like these situations, and yet I'd say the defendant has the right to tell his side of story, before people starts passing armchair judgement.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Gee... what terrible people they must be!
You're never going to get it. The fact is a tiny, miniscule minority of sexual harassment/abuse accusations are false but also that there is rarely such conclusive evidence for these that would satisfy you people. Basically they'd need to record themselves constantly or something, which is unreasonable to ask for. Diminishingly rare are the people who go thorugh the motions of accusing someone for fun or for no apparent reason. A year is a terribly long time to keep up a story like this if it's just for shits and giggles. There are instances where a bit more reserve is reasonable, but this case doesn't ring any of those bells.

It's not necessarily the sentiment itself that is wrong, but the eagerness at which the same people always come to these threads with their "I'll wait for evidence and want to hear both sides of the story" that makes it clear it's just shorthand for "I don't believe you" for many people.

Deleted member 932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Sony say that they originally had no record of the ND contacting HR? So they practically lied,.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
It's not necessarily the sentiment itself that is wrong, but the eagerness at which the same people always come to these threads with their "I'll wait for evidence and want to hear both sides of the story" that makes it clear it's just shorthand for "I don't believe you" for many people.

That is your assumption and IMO simply not true for the most part. But if you want to think that then go right ahead.

I personally think that while sexual harassment is a very serious and disgusting act, judgement off ALL involved should be withheld until all the facts are known. I believe giving the accuser the benefit of the doubt by default is a very dangerous precedent to set.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You're never going to get it. The fact is a tiny, miniscule minority of sexual harassment/abuse accusations are false but also that there is rarely such conclusive evidence for these that would satisfy you people. Basically they'd need to record themselves constantly or something, which is unreasonable to ask for

this was/is true for most traffic collisions/compensation claims and it caused an influx of people with dash cams so that they can offer evidence to support their claims if the need arises. as ridiculous as it may be, if sexual harassment is as rife as these reports lead us to believe, maybe recording ourselves constantly isn't so unreasonable after all?

Oath

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Trolling, thread derailment, account still in the junior phase, previous infraction for similar behaviour.
It's funny. Similar situation happened with Quantic Dream, alleged sexual harassment, toxic work environment, inaction by management, etc. Quantic gets completely shit on. People have their pitchforks out calling for a boycott. No need for conclusive evidence even when they have won 2 out of 3 lawsuits filed against them.

When Naughty Dog does it there's a massive defence force. Evidence is required first. Pitchforks are kept at home. And it's OK since the person that allegedly harassed the victim has left the company.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/qu...on-toxic-work-conditions-kotaku.38030/page-10

All of my replies were quotes from this thread. Lol.

Last edited:

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, how dare people await conclusive evidence before nuking someone's livelihood and reputation.
You'll never have conclusive evidence in a vast majority of cases like this.

Also, 1) we are not in the court of law and 2) rarely do these sorts of accusations destroy lives. This will be forgotten in a few months, weeks even, assuming something bigger isn't revealed about it. Most people don't give a shit now, the rest will forget it soon enough

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Oh please. The 20+ year case is completely different to this one, so judging all future cases no matter what the context just based on that is dumb.

And no, "burning someone's life without any solid evidence" really isn't the outcome at all nowadays. Most accused still go ahead with their lives mostly unaffected. The only ones whose lives are affected are ones who have had multiple accusations thrown at them (and even then, not all of them either), while ones with one or two accusers still go about their lives mostly unaffected, apart from maybe some initial backlash. And considering how common sexual harassment and abuse is, we're still only seeing the tip of the iceberg. Just because there has been the rare case of a few high profile Hollywood accusations doesn't mean we are at some brink of man-ocalypse where endless droves and droves of falsely accused men are about to go down for sexual harassment and/or abuse accusations with no evidence.
I didn't make any kind of slippery slope argument, you're definitely putting words into my mouth here. The repercussions of being accused in a case like this are not as negligible as you're trying to put forth, either. The fact is, false accusations do happen and even if it's only a small percentage of cases that means that caution should be exercised before putting someone to the torch. That does not mean it's okay to deride, prod or dissect someone who is making such claims. I believe wholeheartedly in supporting those who are brave enough to come forward and making the process as easy for them as it can possibly be. I just also don't believe in ripping an accused party to shreds in cases that are not substantiated. Public opinion will quite often do exactly that, though.

kamorra

Nov 27, 2017
It's funny. Similar situation happened with Quantic Dream, alleged sexual harassment, toxic work environment, inaction by management, etc. Quantic gets completely shit on. People have their pitchforks out calling for a boycott. No need for conclusive evidence even when they have won 2 out of 3 lawsuits filed against them.

When Naughty Dog does it there's a massive defence force. Evidence is required first. Pitchforks are kept at home. And it's OK since the person that allegedly harassed the victim has left the company.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/qu...on-toxic-work-conditions-kotaku.38030/page-10

You really want people to shit on a Sony dev too do you? It's pretty transparent. Calling for pitchforks is never a good thing.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Why dont he just go to justice?

Real Justice I mean, not Social Warriors Justice.
He has waited long enough since the first time he tweeted this claim in October last year. It's clear that he wanted all of this to be solved out of the court. Too bad, ND and/or Sony weren't cooperative. They could've reached him first as he couldn't reach them anymore. They had half a year to do that.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
You'll never have conclusive evidence in a vast majority of cases like this.

Also, 1) we are not in the court of law and 2) rarely do these sorts of accusations destroy lives. This will be forgotten in a few months, weeks even, assuming something bigger isn't revealed about it. Most people don't give a shit now, the rest will forget it soon enough

It might be forgotten by you, but the people involved won't forget in a hurry.

Oct 27, 2017

Is this supposed to prove some hypocrisy in people's reactions here?
Here's a crazy thought. Maybe the two situations are not actually identical. Maybe you spouting about homophobia and sexism in this thread makes no sense.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017

You do realize that what you're saying is as immature as those who genuinely defend their favorite company from these accusations?

Oath

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You really want people to shit on a Sony dev too do you? It's pretty transparent. Calling for pitchforks is never a good thing.

I don't. If you read the other thread I'm completely against shitting on/boycotting any product over these incidents. And FYI I'm a pretty big Sony fan, started with the fat PSX when I was around 10 y.o

Oath

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this supposed to prove some hypocrisy in people's reactions here?
Here's a crazy thought. Maybe the two situations are not actually identical. Maybe you spouting about homophobia and sexism in this thread makes no sense.

They're obviously not identical, but there are more similarities than differences. Both involve alleged sexual harassment, toxic work environments, inaction by management. The biggest difference is one company is more popular than another.

I don't see why it doesn't make sense to you, if a man sexually harasses another man I am assuming it most likely involves one of those things. If anything spouting about homophobia and sexism in this thread makes just as much sense as spouting it in the QD thread.

You do realize that what you're saying is as immature as those who genuinely defend their favorite company from these accusations?

Sorry I'm not understanding your question. Why is "genuinely defending" a company from accusations "immature"?

So what's your point then?

I just think it's amusing how the forum's standards for both companies can be so different. People will make excuses and demand conclusive evidence if it's a popular franchise/company, but they're quick to call for boycotts and accuse supporters of "lesser companies" as advocates of racism/homophobia/sexism/whatever the certain incident involves.

And just to make completely clear, I think judging a company by the inappropriate actions of a few members is inane at best.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Has Ballard ever elaborated on what the harassment consisted of? I'd understand if he's not willing to share that but when sexual harassment can be such a broad term, from inappropriate comments to groping, it makes it hard to gauge the response to things.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Two wrongs don't make one right. Just because people appeared to shown bias and raise a lot of pitchfork for a certain company doesn't mean it's ok to raise pitchfork now for another company. We didn't do well before, but we can do better.

Oath

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Two wrongs don't make one right. Just because people appeared to shown bias and raise a lot of pitchfork for a certain company doesn't mean it's ok to raise pitchfork now for another company. We didn't do well before, but we can do better.

I'm not raising a pitchfork. It's satire. Sorry if it wasn't made clear. I'm a big fan of both companies.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
It might be forgotten by you, but the people involved won't forget in a hurry.
If the accused party is guilty, who gives a shit if they have to live on with a guilty conscience? And if they are accused falsely and there's no truth to it, I doubt he is in too much anguish past this initial backlash. I've been accused of something I didn't do (nothing sexual) and apart from it being annoying and frustrating at the time, since there was no basis of truth to the accusations, I suffered no long term consequences or mental anguish.

One thing you people also seem to ignore is that false accusations are far more often than not proven to be such pretty quickly. Whether it's an ex scorn after a messy break-up or a crazy jealous co-worker, false accusations don't usually stand up against much scrutiny.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
Has Ballard ever elaborated on what the harassment consisted of? I'd understand if he's not willing to share that but when sexual harassment can be such a broad term, from inappropriate comments to groping, it makes it hard to gauge the response to things.

It doesn't matter, even if we're talking about words, it can still be harassment. And it doesn't make it less damaging for Naughty Dog and Sony.

What is very worrying here is that it seems neither ND and Sony took those allegations with the necessary due process such type incidents require.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I completely agree. That dude asking for names trying to paint himself as a crusader justice and victims rights... Do me a favour.

I hate that situations like this play out on Twitter, the worst possible place for them.

If you hate that these go to twitter, then you kind of missed the entire point of the #MeToo movement. Going through the proper channels just doesn't work the vast majority of the time, and by having this out there for the public to see, it makes it harder for companies or abusers to just sweep it under the rug and pretend that this isn't going on. It's not like this guy didn't try the proper channels either, so what other choice did he have?

-Amon-

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
With zero proof i can accuse anyone of anything. With zero proof anyone can do anything they want to me and come out clean.

Can't understand why someone should take sides on this story.