FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada

DGAi-jBW0AAV8di.jpg

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be happier if it could be any random local kid but still, not the worst idea.

Deleted member 5809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bad publicity isn't necessarily good publicity in the age of social media.

Pure bad publicity isn't, but this kind of particularly divisive, ambiguous controversy is. Bratches was at ESPN for about a million years, and handled their marketing for over a decade. If you listened to some of the nonsensical guff he came out with to justify the recent logo change, it's obvious he knows what he's doing and is looking to get a calculated rise out of the public wherever it makes sense. They've been staggering the news on this one for maximum effect, from teasing the decision last year to now announcing the grid kids a week late.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
So are the kids getting paid and as much as the previous grid girls?

There junior series and karting kids.
They are already rich....if they get much id be shocked.
What wouldnt shock me is if they actually pay something to be in the pool of those chosen to be grid kids like some sort of extra membership fee.

P.S In case people dont know getting into racing is a very expensive thing even in lower series people invest alot of money gain sponsorship deal etc etc, most drivers by the time they are in F1 are already very comfortably rich by 20.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Mods, you might want to revise your Thread Title update. F1 is not Formula E.

KelticNight

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
love the Grid Kids. It's like how they have kids in Soccer. Probably a move that should have been made years ago tbh

Not quite, this is the rich kids from the karting and junior racing series stuff.

Mascots in football are usually charity or local community based. yes, they're are places you can buy but even then it's available to anyone who wants to pony up the money. F1 is keeping this entire thing in-house and fenced off.

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great. Are they also getting rid of podium girls as well? Couldn't see anything scan reading the article.

Hopefully MotoGP will also follow suit. Also I hope the women that are affected can find jobs.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Women lost their jobs.. Hooray /s

No one forced a Grid Girl to be a Grid Girl. It takes away an opportunity for women interested in this field of work or to get noticed for other stuff.

Last edited:

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How does one get their kids into kart racing?

Take them to tasters for their age range. If they are into it you get them to do the training sessions whilst learning to take the relevant tests all this depends on where you live, most circuits will provide karts for this but once you have done the introduction based stuff you will need to buy one as well as a transponder, helmet, boots, gloves and the protective clothing required. Different nations have slightly different variations on the type of karts they can drive and you will be limited to the sort of karting your kid can be involved in by whats available at your local circuits unless you are prepared to travel.

Oct 25, 2017
Cool idea. Kids getting to go to an F1 race, be a part of it, meet their heroes, and I am jealous.

I'm just waiting for someone to get pissed after the first couple of races that there aren't enough little girls being represented and how racing is exclusive to boys.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Whilst I didn't feel there was a need to remove the Grid Girls in the first place - this is a good idea.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Cool idea. Kids getting to go to an F1 race, be a part of it, meet their heroes, and I am jealous.

I'm just waiting for someone to get pissed after the first couple of races that there aren't enough little girls being represented and how racing is exclusive to boys.

Forget not enough little girls.
Its gonna be all rich kids.

The 1% get everything.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Women lost their jobs.. Hooray /s

No one forced a Grid Girl to be a Grid Girl. It takes away an opportunity for women interested in this field of work or to get noticed for other stuff.
Name one woman who got "noticed" as a grid girl and moved on to bigger/better things.

cts6V9Dm.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
That doesn't make it any better. It is still lost work.

And what if other motor sports follow suit. The very agency you linked specializes in grid girls and motor sport

They are talented models, they will find work.

The notion you have to keep antiquated jobs around for fear of losing some jobs is silly. If they look hard they can take the great experience they got and parlay it into future success.

Grid kids is a great idea.